• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laughable how people are using the support as a barometer over which choice is right or wrong. wRPG logic over geopolitics.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Trump, Bolsonaro.

This is getting sad. I'm out and will happily return in a new thread after hope is lost.
Trump isn't as bad as Erdogan, Putin, or Maduro, so that leaves you with Bolsonaro. I'm not going to defend a fucking Nazi like Bolsonaro, but his support for the interim President does not make Guaido a fascist, as well.

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump, Bolsonaro.

This is getting sad. I'm out and will happily return in a new thread after hope is lost.

The leading figure of the opposition in Venezuela seems to be someone from the center. But, how much of far-right forces are there? As horrid as Maduro is, this seems like a perfect opportunity for a far-right force to co-opt whatever is happening now. And, it is likely that there's a presence of far-right people among those revolting. Of course, it's absurd to assume a majority of anti-Maduro people are far-right.

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, thoughts on this bill?
H.R.21 - Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019

It includes this:

(f) Venezuela.—Of the funds appropriated by this Act under the heading "Economic Support Fund", not less than $20,000,000 shall be made available for programs to promote democracy and the rule of law in Venezuela.

It is of note that Khanna, Omar and AOC are in favor of this bill though it is probable that they were in favor for the majority of this huge thing instead of just the tiny part about Venezuela.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
pretty messed up that ilhan omar voted to support america's coup of venzuela then turned around to denounce it on social media.

I'm starting to think a staffer gave her a list of things to tweet about and she just tweeted it out without really fact checking. I'm wondering if she is going to address the hundreds of people calling out her facts on social media.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
By the way, thoughts on this bill?
H.R.21 - Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019

It includes this:

US imperialism at its finest. What do you think "promote democracy" means? What does the US know about these things when they have the highest prison population on Earth, shoots and imprisons black and brown people without impunity, routinely invades and overthrow democratically elected governments (Chile for example), bombs non-Americans with drones across the Middle East and Africa, enforce voter suppression, a militarized police force, a massive wealth disparity despite being one of the richest countries, etc.? And the government in charge in the US is a bunch of fascists so what good will their brand of democracy do?

And who gives the US the right to come in and "promote democracy" (lol) in another sovereign country? The same criticism is apparently levelled at Russia in 2016 but "it's okay when we do it!"

This is why the US is one big joke that unfortunately bullies and forces its will on others through sheer brutal force

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
US imperialism at its finest. What do you think "promote democracy" means? What does the US know about these things when they have the highest prison population on Earth, shoots and imprisons black and brown people without impunity, routinely invades and overthrow democratically elected governments (Chile for example), bombs non-Americans with drones across the Middle East and Africa, enforce voter suppression, etc.?

And who gives the US the right to come in and "promote democracy" (lol) in another sovereign country? The same criticism is apparently levelled at Russia in 2016 but "it's okay when we do it!"

Your argument would have more teeth had anyone you're disagreeing with supported those claims.

Weird tangent with Russia, you ok with what they did?

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User banned (1 week): Repeatedly spamming the same post throughout the thread, history of recent infractions
For the new page, because people need to know:

if people want to know this new self-proclaimed president's feelings about the fascist Bolsanaro:

Far-right opposition?

Seems like another ignorant user on twitter needs to shut the fuck up about this situation.

Translated: "Congratulations to the Brazilian people for their election day today and successes to President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, we know of his commitment to and democracy, human rights, security and development of the region. #EleccionesBrasil "

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Your argument would have more teeth had anyone you're disagreeing with supported those claims.

Lol it's to point out the fucking hypocrisy of people complaining about Russian meddling in 2016, while being totally fine with the same shit when the US does it, such as the bill above.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By this horrific logic Trump is on the left.

Lol it's to point out the fucking hypocrisy of people complaining about Russian meddling in 2016, while being totally fine with the same shit when the US does it, such as the bill above.
The US isn't interfering in elections when there are literally no legitimate elections taking place.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Vela said:
Translated: "Congratulations to the Brazilian people for their election day today and successes to President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, we know of his commitment to and democracy, human rights, security and development of the region. #EleccionesBrasil

Which is fair to be upset about. I don't like it, either. Do you have anything else supporting how he's far-right? What are his policies? What's his history?

You're not doing a good job convincing people they're hypocrites here, since they've said they don't agree with that. Where's the meat of this argument? I'm not seeing much here other than emotional reasoning with the barest of evidence.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

The US isn't interfering in elections when there are literally no legitimate elections taking place.

It tells you enough about the spine of Guiaido if he's warming up to a fucking fascist. But good job equating a fascist like Bolsanaro to Obrador! Horseshoe theory at work.

And fucking wow at your excuse for US imperialism and all the points I listed about why the US shouldn't be promoting their "democracy" in other countries. What horrible hypocrisy.

This is an extremely dumb equivalency you're trying to promote here.

It isn't saying he's far right, but it sure as he'll indicate how he wants to work with a straight up fascist.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Where does Canada fit into this?

This guy is their current president.

220px-Justin_Trudeau_in_Lima%2C_Peru_-_2018_%2841507133581%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
A fascist paternalist, of course

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's probably to point out how there's this huge hyperfocus on Russia's worldwide shady influence whereas US imperialistic influence isn't as focused on.
Of course US imperialism and meddles with other countries get criticized all the time. It's just that, the degree of concern has a limit.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Which is fair to be upset about. I don't like it, either. Do you have anything else supporting how he's far-right? What are his policies? What's his history?

The point is not to confirm his own policies but it illustrate his willingness to cozy up with straight up fascists.

You're not doing a good job convincing people they're hypocrites here, since they've said they don't agree with that. Where's the meat of this argument? I'm not seeing much here other than emotional reasoning with the barest of evidence.

I thought it would be pretty apparent how hypocritical it would be to on one hand, call out Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, and then somehow think it's fine for the US to meddle in another country's elections and political state.

I guess the only reason some people aren't convinced by the hypocrisy is because they don't see anything wrong when the US exerts its will via "meddling" in other countries - as they have done for almost a century by now with millions of lives to its name.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It tells you enough about the spine of Guiaido if he's warming up to a fucking fascist. But good job equating a fascist like Bolsanaro to Obrador! Horseshoe theory at work.

And fucking wow at your excuse for US imperialism and all the points I listed about why the US shouldn't be promoting their "democracy" in other countries. What horrible hypocrisy.

It isn't saying he's far right, but it sure as he'll indicate how he wants to work with a straight up fascist.

There's not a single country in the world that has broken relations with Brazil. All countries in the region work with Brazil. What is even your point? What Guaido did is merely basic diplomacy.

You're just spewing nonsense in your attempt to discredit Guaido.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, with thinking people are fine with the United States meddling with Venezuela.

No matter how many times people try to state that this is not what they are talking about, when these posters are driven in the corner after people explain how their posts is wrong it's the one thing they'll repeat again and again.

Someone please count the amount of times this has happened in this thread.

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not a single country in the world that has broken relations with Brazil. All countries in the region work with Brazil. What is even your point? What Guaido did is merely basic diplomacy.

Has there been any country's government that has criticized him since his win?

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

"let me just congratulate this fascist who wants to torture LGBTQ people, kill leftists, bulldoze the entire Amazon forest and praise him for his commitment to democracy and human rights" to all my followers. It's just going an extra level that's not necessary if you had political principles that oppose fascism.

The point is not the discredit him, but give you an indication of his willingness to work with straight up fascists.

Again, with thinking people are fine with the United States meddling with Venezuela.

No matter how many times people try to state that this is not what they are talking about, when these posters are driven in the corner after people explain how their posts is wrong it's the one thing they'll repeat again and again.

Someone please count the amount of times this has happened in this thread.

are we reading the same thread? I am seeing a whole bunch of approval of Trump's imperialist endeavor, and a whole lot of hostility against anyone who opposes this form US imperialism along with strawman bullshit like "you support Maduro". It's frankly unbearable and heart-wrenching to read, because it tells me that people haven't learned shit from Iraq and Afghanistan - to not talk about Chile, Iran, Indonesia, Honduras, Iraq in the 90's, Vietnam, Korea, Laos, Cambodia, and all the many, many times that the US invades or overthrows other countries. It tells me that even when a fucking fascist like Trump is doing horrible shit with the approval of another fascist like Bolsanaro, people still support US imperialism.

Oct 26, 2017
I find worrying how there is people that seem to have a cartoon-level appreciation of morality and how reality works. The world is a lil' bit more complex than 'good guys' and 'evil guys', and 'good guys support good guys' and 'evil guys support evil guys', as if this was a freaking Overwatch story with two sides, the 'heroes' and the 'villains'.
Just because Trump or Pence are bad, it doesn't mean they have to support a would-be dictator.

Hell, even if you could divide the world as easily as that, it wouldn't mean the 'bad guys' would have to support between them, usually one of their defining features are self-centeredness and egoism. In the real world Iran, Syria, Irak, Quatar and Arabia Saudi are not good friends, even if neither are good friends with Israel. And Israel isn't precisely one of the good guys in lots of things but I digress...

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The point is not to confirm his own policies but it illustrate his willingness to cozy up with straight up fascists.

Where you're losing people is that you're not giving convincing evidence he is truly a fascist. One customary tweet is not a fadcist make. You haven't given any in-depth coverage that he's a fascist as I asked upthread. What in his history or policies make him a fascist?

I thought it would be pretty apparent how hypocritical it would be to on one hand, call out Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, and then somehow think it's fine for the US to meddle in another country's elections and political state.

That's not in question, the conflict comes into that people have told you straight up they disagree with that and you're ignoring it, and you're conflating the meddling in both countries to a degree where I'm not certain you know the difference between acknowledging a POTUS and the meddling Russia did. We're simply supposed to take your word for it, based on almost nothing. State your case.

I guess the only reason some people aren't convinced by the hypocrisy is because they don't see anything wrong when the US exerts its will via "meddling" in other countries - as they have done for almost a century by now with millions of lives to its name.

"Some people" not being in this thread. It's not hypocrisy when the people you're condemning don't believe it in the first place.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Well, given that the economic support fund is part of our foreign aid program, I assume it means foreign aid.

oh my sweet summer child

Where you're losing people is that you're not giving convincing evidence he is truly a fascist. One customary tweet is not a fadcist make. You haven't given any in-depth coverage that he's a fascist as I asked upthread. What in his history or policies make him a fascist?

That's exactly what I wasn't saying.

That's not in question, the conflict comes into that people have told you straight up they disagree with that and you're ignoring it, and you're conflating the meddling in both countries to a degree where I'm not certain you know the difference between acknowledging a POTUS and the meddling Russia did. We're simply supposed to take your word for it, based on almost nothing. State your case.

I haven't seen anyone stating the case for why this should be different than being mad about Russian interference.

"Some people" not being in this thread. It's not hypocrisy when the people you're condemning don't believe it in the first place.

you have resident conservative Kirblar right above you as just one example of excusing US imperialism. Then there's Stinkles, some dude who hates Russian interference with a passion but somehow thinks this is entirely fine. And that's just the top off my head - plenty of others throughout the thread. A whole lot of US exceptionalism for some liberals on here.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
if people still don't get why it's a problem, read this open letter signed by 70 US scholars and experts

The United States government must cease interfering in Venezuela's internal politics, especially for the purpose of overthrowing the country's government. Actions by the Trump administration and its allies in the hemisphere are almost certain to make the situation in Venezuela worse, leading to unnecessary human suffering, violence, and instability.

Venezuela's political polarization is not new; the country has long been divided along racial and socioeconomic lines. But the polarization has deepened in recent years. This is partly due to US support for an opposition strategy aimed at removing the government of Nicolás Maduro through extra-electoral means. While the opposition has been divided on this strategy, US support has backed hardline opposition sectors in their goal of ousting the Maduro government through often violent protests, a military coup d'etat, or other avenues that sidestep the ballot box.

Under the Trump administration, aggressive rhetoric against the Venezuelan government has ratcheted up to a more extreme and threatening level, with Trump administration officials talking of "military action" and condemning Venezuela, along with Cuba and Nicaragua, as part of a "troika of tyranny." Problems resulting from Venezuelan government policy have been worsened by US economic sanctions, illegal under the Organization of American States and the United Nations ― as well as US law and other international treaties and conventions. These sanctions have cut off the means by which the Venezuelan government could escape from its economic recession, while causing a dramatic falloff in oil production and worsening the economic crisis, and causing many people to die because they can't get access to life-saving medicines. Meanwhile, the US and other governments continue to blame the Venezuelan government ― solely ― for the economic damage, even that caused by the US sanctions.

Now the US and its allies, including OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro and Brazil's far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, have pushed Venezuela to the precipice. By recognizing National Assembly President Juan Guaido as the new president of Venezuela ― something illegal under the OAS Charter ― the Trump administration has sharply accelerated Venezuela's political crisis in the hopes of dividing the Venezuelan military and further polarizing the populace, forcing them to choose sides. The obvious, and sometimes stated goal, is to force Maduro out via a coup d'etat.

The reality is that despite hyperinflation, shortages, and a deep depression, Venezuela remains a politically polarized country. The US and its allies must cease encouraging violence by pushing for violent, extralegal regime change. If the Trump administration and its allies continue to pursue their reckless course in Venezuela, the most likely result will be bloodshed, chaos, and instability. The US should have learned something from its regime change ventures in Iraq, Syria, Libya, and its long, violent history of sponsoring regime change in Latin America.

Neither side in Venezuela can simply vanquish the other. The military, for example, has at least 235,000 frontline members, and there are at least 1.6 million in militias. Many of these people will fight, not only on the basis of a belief in national sovereignty that is widely held in Latin America ― in the face of what increasingly appears to be a US-led intervention ― but also to protect themselves from likely repression if the opposition topples the government by force.

In such situations, the only solution is a negotiated settlement, as has happened in the past in Latin American countries when politically polarized societies were unable to resolve their differences through elections. There have been efforts, such as those led by the Vatican in the fall of 2016, that had potential, but they received no support from Washington and its allies who favored regime change. This strategy must change if there is to be any viable solution to the ongoing crisis in Venezuela.

For the sake of the Venezuelan people, the region, and for the principle of national sovereignty, these international actors should instead support negotiations between the Venezuelan government and its opponents that will allow the country to finally emerge from its political and economic crisis.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
That's exactly what I wasn't saying.

That's all you've been saying for pages now. I've asked twice for evidence about Guaido about his policies and history proving he's a fascist and you've ignored me so your credibility about caring about the people hurt under Madura is getting thin. If you had a strong argument for this you'd have made it already, instead you're doubling down on undermining the credibility of people who disagree with you on the mildest of stances as if all that stands between someone being good or bad in your eyes is whether Trump gives up a thumbs up to the. Context be damned.

Do you even know who Justin Trudeau is?

I haven't seen anyone stating the case for why this should be different than being mad about Russian interference.

This is a deflection, and a poor one. I've gone over the gist because I'd have thought you've have educated yourself on what exactly the Russians did. I'm going to need a brief outline of what you think they did because I'm uncertain you know yourself or you simply don't care. First you have to make an argument yourself, which you haven't been and continue not to so. Shouting "Russian meddling" is not a winning strategy here.

you have resident conservative Kirblar right above you as just one example of excusing US imperialism. Then there's Stinkles, some dude who hates Russian interference with a passion but somehow thinks this is entirely fine. And that's just the top off my head - plenty of others throughout the thread. A whole lot of US exceptionalism for some liberals on here.

Kirblah isn't conservative, from my interactions with him he's centre-left, either a liberal or centrist. Nor are you giving the briefest out of outlines why you think he's doing that instead I'm supposed to take it on faith that you're right with no evidence. Same with Stinkles. How is he fine with it? Frankly, I'd be surprised why anyone would be ok with what Russia did with their country, as if it's common behaviour for people not to protective of their own country behind severely compromised by a hostile nation state. You certainly think it is, but haven't put any effort to provide evidence this is true.

For all your complaining about the US terrible history, which everyone agrees needs reforming, I don't see much that energy being used to rebuke Madura's regime - the topic of this thread. So tell me this, what's your opinion on Madura's policies and its affects on Venezuela and does it match the intensity of your hatred to the US?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
For those of us who actually care who Juan Guiado is here's what I found:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46985389

He studied industrial engineering at university, before completing graduate degrees at George Washington University in the US capital and Venezuelan private business school Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administración.

As a student, Mr Guaidó protested against what he saw as Mr Chavez's efforts to control the media when he did not renew the license of independent broadcaster Radio Caracas Television.

Mr Guaidó was a founding member of centrist political party Popular Will in 2009, along with key opposition leader Leopoldo López.

Mr López, now under house arrest, reportedly acted as a mentor to him.

The pair speak several times a day, according to Bloomberg, despite Mr López's detention.

I've found it difficult to find any concrete evidence of his policies, but that is far from proof that he's a right wing fascist. It's easy to dig up his history and why he went into politics , however. The evidence we do know shows the complete opposite, in fact. For someone that evil you'd think it'd be simple to find damning evidence that he is not to be trusted since Trump endorsed him, and yet all we get is a diplomatic tweet.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Saying "Congrats I hope we can work" to an elected president is diplomacy and okay. Saying "we know of his commitment to and democracy, human rights..." when the guy you're talking about celebrates torturing people, advocates for violence against LGBT, and outright calls to exterminate the left is not just "diplomacy". So much for "center left"

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Saying "Congrats I hope we can work" to an elected president is diplomacy and okay. Saying "we know of his commitment to and democracy, human rights..." when the guy you're talking about celebrates torturing people, advocates for violence against LGBT, and outright calls to exterminate the left is not just "diplomacy". So much for "center left"

Diplomacy is about not angering people. What diplomats do you know who'd say that to the media?

Last edited:

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that are people siding with Maduro on this one.

There's no humane reason that can justify supporting a leader that leads to starvation of it's people, while the leader himself and his allies are in healthy and wealthy position. If he has the bare minimum of decency that you would expect of a human being, he would've resign way earlier, when the situation wasn't so chaotic.

And the narrative that the US sanctions are the cause of the humanitarian crisis and Venezuelan Dictatorship is ludicrous to say the least. They caved their own hole and don't even let their population find a democratic way out of it, considering that, when Maduro lost the legislative to the opposition, he found a way to dissolve it.

So yep, Bolsonaro and Trump sucks, but the current regime in Venezuela is indefensible by any logical reasons, and the attempt of Guaido is a valid one to give some slight glimpse of hope that it might change in the near future.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
That's all you've been saying for pages now. I've asked twice for evidence about Guaido about his policies and history proving he's a fascist and you've ignored me so your credibility about caring about the people hurt under Madura is getting thin. If you had a strong argument for this you'd have made it already, instead you're doubling down on undermining the credibility of people who disagree with you on the mildest of stances as if all that stands between someone being good or bad in your eyes is whether Trump gives up a thumbs up to the. Context be damned.

What? I don't have tons of time to spend on arguing with people who cannot see why this move backed by fucking Trump and Bolsanaro is such a disastrous one. I even posted the open letter above to illustrate the many pitfalls of why this is fucking bad.

Do you even know who Justin Trudeau is?

lol fuck Trudeau. The fact that people are using him as an excuse to whitewash this imperalist move tells you all you need to know about his willingness to collaborate with fascists. As many progressive voices have shown, Trudeau is neoliberal through and through - even going as far as congratulating Bolsanaro for his win. Meanwhile, Canadian mining companies are eager to have further ventures in South America that exploit the local populations for their resources, something that I'm sure Trudeau would happily welcome.

If you want an idea about Canada's role in imperialism, listen to this podcast episode by Citations Needed: https://soundcloud.com/citationsnee...shing-whats-behind-canadas-progressive-veneer

"For decades, Canada has been a go-to point of reference for American progressives as a country the United States can and should strive to be. And while there are many parts about Canadian society that are measurably preferable, leftists in Canada find their country's glossy, socialist paradise image to be overblown and often a barrier to meaningful change.

This episode examines this tension, the reality versus perception, what we can learn from each other, and the common and existential thread we share of white settler-colonialism."

This is a deflection, and a poor one. I've gone over the gist because I'd have thought you've have educated yourself on what exactly the Russians did. I'm going to need a brief outline of what you think they did because I'm uncertain you know yourself or you simply don't care. First you have to make an argument yourself, which you haven't been and continue not to so. Shouting "Russian meddling" is not a winning strategy here.

I'm not following you here at all. If you want to know what the "Russians did", there's tons of threads to go through on this site that illustrate the hysteria by liberals when it comes to election meddling. Suddenly all of them are quite absent when their own country does the same thing - if not explicitly backing this imperialist move by the US.

Kirblah isn't conservative, from my interactions with him he's centre-left, either a liberal or centrist. Nor are you giving the briefest out of outlines why you think he's doing that instead I'm supposed to take it on faith that you're right with no evidence. Same with Stinkles. How is he fine with it? Frankly, I'd be surprised why anyone would be ok with what Russia did with their country, as if it's common behaviour for people not to protective of their own country behind severely compromised by a hostile nation state. You certainly think it is, but haven't put any effort to provide evidence this is true.

For a "centre-left", he sure has a lot of conservative/Republican talking points. If it walks a duck, talks like a duck...and the search button above can just be used if you are so inclined to find Stinkles' approval of US (soft) imperialism. Otherwise, feel free to go through the thread or just notice all the hostility towards those of us who are critical about US imperialism (which somehow many people are not!)

For all your complaining about the US terrible history, which everyone agrees needs reforming, I don't see much that energy being used to rebuke Madura's regime - the topic of this thread. So tell me this, what's your opinion on Madura's policies and its affects on Venezuela and does it match the intensity of your hatred to the US?

If everyone agrees it needs reforming now, how about doing that right fucking now when US imperialism is staring right in your face? The topic of this thread isn't just Madura's regime, but the coup d'etat that the US is instigating and provoking with the new fascist internationale of Trump and Bolsanaro. Here, right now, is the opportunity for the US and liberals and conservatives to say no to US imperialism, yet all we have is a whole lot of people who think it's their business to decide who should be the leader of another country and not the people in that country themselves.

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that are people siding with Maduro on this one.

There's no humane reason that can justify supporting a leader that leads to starvation of it's people, while the leader himself and his allies are in healthy and wealthy position. If he has the bare minimum of decency that you would expect of a human being, he would've resign way earlier, when the situation wasn't so chaotic.

And the narrative that the US sanctions are the cause of the humanitarian crisis and Venezuelan Dictatorship is ludicrous to say the least. They caved their own hole and don't even let their population find a democratic way out of it, considering that, when Maduro lost the legislative to the opposition, he found a way to dissolve it.

So yep, Bolsonaro and Trump sucks, but the current regime in Venezuela is indefensible by any logical reasons, and the attempt of Guaido is a valid one to give some slight glimpse of hope that it might change in the near future.

I don't think there are that many people here who support Maduro. At most, they hold the legitimacy of his recent re-election (while seemingly having blind spots on the circumstances surrounding it).

Some people here are weary of any US intervention especially since historically, it has always been flaming basura on the the region.

Just because one dislikes US Imperialism doesn't mean one is a diehard Maduro stan.

But yeah, there a few people here and across twitter ignoring viewpoints from actual Venezuelans.

OP
OP
Iloelemen

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a "centre-left", he sure has a lot of conservative/Republican talking points. If it walks a duck, talks like a duck...and the search button above can just be used if you are so inclined to find Stinkles' approval of US (soft) imperialism. Otherwise, feel free to go through the thread or just notice all the hostility towards those of us who are critical about US imperialism (which somehow many people are not!)

I mean, an american center position is bound to have tons of conservative views.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there are that many people here who support Maduro. At most, they hold the legitimacy of his recent re-election (while seemingly having blind spots on the circumstances surrounding it).

Some people here are weary of any US intervention especially since historically, it has always been flaming basura on the the region.

Just because one dislikes US Imperialism doesn't mean one is a diehard Maduro stan.

But yeah, there a few people here and across twitter ignoring viewpoints from actual Venezuelans.

I was actually referring to a Twitter post a saw here, forgot to say it, my bad.

About the legitimacy of Maduro re-election, he has none. As far as I know, his election happened after a new Venezuelan Constitution, which was made only by his supporters and as a fraudulent way to legitimate his power. When the Venezuelan Attorney General questioned and opposed the elaboration of this new Constitution, Maduro simply found a way to fire and exile her.

So Maduro holds zero legitimacy, and his claim as President is 100% invalid in my view. Venezuela needs a new, free election.

Status
Not open for further replies.