• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sick of seeing these coming up so much lately. Stop with the spoilers, what's wrong with you? Shit is already out there on reddit, wtc, but why add to it here?

Developers work years and spend tons of money making games. Putting their companies in the line, their livelihood.
Some people are weak and will go read these spoilers, and then that might be enough to get them to NOT buy the game. So we are helping games to not sell now. Before they even release. Feels real douchey. Discuss.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You want to ban information that users can really easily avoid looking at? "Some people are weak and will go read these spoilers" smh.

What's an example of such a thread anyway?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the issue with them, if someone doesn't buy a game because of data leaks i doubt they had much interest and probably would have waited for impressions anyways.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you just don't need to enter the thread. It's that simple and there no need to ban anything. It's your choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Sick of seeing these coming up so much lately. Stop with the spoilers, what's wrong with you? Shit is already out there on reddit, wtc, but why add to it here?

Developers work years and spend tons of money making games. Putting their companies in the line, their livelihood.
Some people are weak and will go read these spoilers, and then that might be enough to get them to NOT buy the game. So we are helping games to not sell now. Before they even release. Feels real douchey. Discuss.
I can think of about 50 more types of threads that appear daily before datamining comes to mind.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely NOT.

Keep them in. Because that datamine made the game a heck of a lot more interesting to me.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
If reading a spoiler is enough to put people completely off of a game their interest in it couldn't have been high to begin with.

Furthermore, this is a forum for people TO TALK about games, not TO SELL them.
If we start banning normal videogame discourse because it might make people less likely to buy a game, we might aswell start banning any and all negative opinions too while we're at it.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Who reads a spoiler for a video game they and doesn't want to play it? If anything spoilers make the game even better because it feeds your hype.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is forcing you to read these threads when there is phrases like "data mined" and "spoilers" in the thread title. They're there to make sure you're aware of the content you're going to get into.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've been a user of this forum and the old one for quite a few years now. Went on media blackout with BOTW and Mario Odyssey. As easy as not opening any threads with the titles of the games you are interested in.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the thread is made clear that it has spoilers in I don't see a problem with it just don't click on them.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If you don't want to read them, you don't have to. Wanting to push your ridiculous policies on everyone else is your problem, not ours.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Then stop entering those threads?

Why should access to information and conversation about it be dismissed because you don't like it? No one is harmed by this stuff.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I just don't click them ...
I know I want to play Kirby on release, because of that I'm not going to spoil myself.

As long as the title isn't some spoiler, I don't care

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do long as people aren't putting the spoilers in the thread titles... Eh, you have to choose to go in to he thread.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If reading a spoiler is enough to put people completely off of a game their interest in it couldn't have been high to begin with.

Furthermore, this is a forum for people TO TALK about games, not TO SELL them.
If we start banning normal videogame discourse because it might make people less likely to buy a game, we might aswell start banning any and all negative opinions too while we're at it.

Leave global megacorps alone!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This is entirely a problem of your own making that can be avoided. Now, if Someone is talking about datamined stuff outside the appropriate thread? Report it.

But the forum doesn't have to cater to your taste.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
For me, datamining takes a lot of fun out of being a video game fan, so I, uh, don't read stuff about datamining when I don't want to. OP, your post seems more than a little radical.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
No, stop whining and telling people what they can't do. Get off the forum if you are so sensitive to sPoiLeRs haha. Deal with it! #Datamining4ever #spoilerculturesux

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are weak and will go read these spoilers, and then that might be enough to get them to NOT buy the game. Discuss.
Um, what is this argument?

Datamined information is news, and discussion is what we do. The threads are clearly labeled, and the recent Kirby thread even had spoiler tags within the OP.

You can spoil literally anything you want for yourself right now. Information is not a harmful or self-destructive evil the way gacha-boxes are. If you wanna be "weak-willed" and read the plot of something before you play that's on you, lol. It won't ruin your life but it might make games less enjoyable and maybe you should work on not doing it?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live for datamines and leaks. Just don't read it. There's nothing wrong with people knowing exactly what's in the product they're buying.

And honestly it typically makes people more interested, not less. If it makes them less interested then the product is almost certainly already subpar in some other way or doing something scummy (like SFxT having all the DLC characters on the disc and accessible by hackers on day 1) that deserves the ire.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like spoilers myself, but come on OP. As long as the thread is properly labeled who cares if others enjoy that stuff? Don't click if you don't want spoilers.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside the obvious argument of "show restraint", the thing about leaks and datamines is that often times, they're only going to reflect upon the game positively or negatively depending on the final product.

For example, part of the reason I made the thread for the Kirby one (besides liking kirby) was because many of us were pretty lukewarm on how the game was shaping up. In this case, the leaks for this game make it sound quite a bit better to a lot of us than the stuff Nintendo has revealed for it thus far.

Meanwhile, if a leak reveals something shitty about a game, to the point where people don't want to buy it anymore... I think I'd rather blame the content of the game than the leak. If a leak shows that a hyped up game may not be all its cracked up to be, it might save people some regrets!

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've rarely read a leak of a game's content and decided against purchasing it. I've also never entered a thread that was labeled as having spoilers if I didn't want to be spoiled on a game. I understand that for a dev it must suck to have your game dismantled and laid bare but I'm a consumer. Sometimes these leaks reveal slimy shit that people may want to avoid. I'm sure you mean things like characters, levels, story plot point, etc. but there are times where leaks can be helpful for consumers instead of just interesting early spoilers.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I understand the sentiment, OP, but this is a video game discussion board. Stifling discussion is antithetical to the whole operation, and so long as people label their threads properly, it won't be difficult to avoid them if they're not your bag. If you are easily tempted, you'll probably find them elsewhere anyway. Lastly, you overestimate the damage done by data mining. A tiny fraction of the gaming populace reads these threads, and even fewer base their game buying decisions on how much information has leaked.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Do people with a major aversion to spoilers like have this compulsion to hurt themselves and run into spoilers all the time.

Like I could understand having an issue if the datamining was in your face but if it's in its own clearly marked thread it makes no sense at all.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah datamining is a federal crime as we all know and as such resetera should ban all discus-

anyways, don't click them, end.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
We should also ban trailers in case someone watches one, decides a game doesn't interest them, and decides not to buy it as well

All previews, impressions, and pre release reviews as well

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England

This is a discussion forum. We discuss video games.

If you do not wish to discuss an aspect of them, simply ignore it.

We are not an extension of a game publisher's PR.

Spoilerphobia is so dumb.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
This a thread where OP makes a compliant and vanishes for 3 pages? Feels like one.

Don't click on them, use a script to auto hide threads that have certain terms in them.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But the title clearly says what it contains. Don't have to read it. If the title didn't suggest it Is understand, but it seems you just don't want to gain the self control to not click in this case.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
But the title clearly says what it contains. Don't have to read it. If the title didn't suggest it Is understand, but it seems you just don't want to gain the self control to not click in this case.

What if the thread title is something like

"Skyrim datamined, new skins for horses"

I haven't seen the skins. But I know there is new skins. Spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.