• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
In an era filled by Souls-inspired, painfully hard, stamina bar ridden clones, a decent Bayonetta every other decade, a sleeper hit from nowhere in Nier:A, and with classic hack 'n slash epics like God of War turning into cinematic story-driven Ryse-type of experiences, is there any chance of old-school hack 'n slash titles like the upcoming DMC to make this struggling subgenre relevant again as it has been in the early '00s, or eventually is going to be victim of it's own past charisma and deemed as "a tired formula of a forgotten genre" by press and fans? It seems like times has changed and so did the taste and expectations of the core action fanbase. I hope for the best case scenario, but i'm afraid that the horrible misteps that Capcom took with the franchise, keeping it away from the public mindset for such a long time are going to turn DMC5 into the "old forgotten gem" that everybody wants to try, but eventually no one is going to care for the long run anymore. Or is it just me worrying too much because i'm an impatient fan waiting for it a whole decade, and it will eventually take everyone by storm once again!

In Itsuno we trust.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
No because Capcom will find a way to botch it somehow.

And no again because the genre is dead just like arcade racers

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Believe in Itsuno.

First he revolutionized action games with DMC3/DMC4 and then did same for ARPGs with Dragon's Dogma.

The man doesn't mess around.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I'm gonna add more to this, but: there are more hack and slash games than DMC releasing next year that you should keep an eye on.

And that DMC5 isn't getting announced anytime soon.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thead makes me think you haven't played much in the genre recently?
transformers-devastation-listing-thumb-01-us-28aug15.png

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
I feel like the genre is still fairly well represented...

We had Nier: Automata come out.

Dynasty Warrior titles and their licensed spin offs are in full release a few times a year.

As well as Hellblade

We have Darksiders 3 coming out which I consider being hack and slash adventure.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not.

An open world with a decent story would sell, I don't think great combat alone will make a splash, if the surrounding game is the same as it's always been. Same with fighting games.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It would be nice to announce the game first. But man, do we need a good hacknslash game. It has been too long since I played MGS:R. Don't fail us Capcom, for once in your life do the right thing.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think platinum has perfected the DMC model hack n' slash genre with Bayonetta, MGR and Transformers Devastation.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's probably not saving anything.
Hack and Slash games will probably morph into action RPGs like Kingdom hearts and Nier. Probably has more appeal.
You'll probably still get traditional hack and slash games every once in awhile from the likes of Platinum

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It won't revitalise the genre if it does the same old stuff

Classic DMC is basically just a fluke abberation of the classic Resident Evil formula anyway. A formula that is long dead

I would not mind some significant updates to the DMC formula, as long as it keeps its roots in the combat. And getting a little Soulsy feels like it would fit DMC well

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're assuming that DMC5 is going to be a proper hack and slash game, for all we know it might have the DMC gameplay but it'll be open world with side quests, RPG elements and what have you. Probably even a co-op multiplayer mode.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Souls Aside is an stylish action game that's coming. I do wish more indie devs would try their hand in stylish action titles.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Where there is Platinum, there is hope. No More Heroes is also doing a comeback so I'm not too worried. You also have Absolver that somehow fit the mold. Give it time they will be back.
But I don't have too much hope for DMC5 sadly.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
That sire is a creative misspelling of Ninja Gaiden!

Remember getting trapped in that room with all the skeletons that you have to beat up 100 times? I love the using the nunchucks in that room. Good Times.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I do think people are being a bit silly thinking that DMC5 will FOR SURE not be announced. At this point we're 2 years after the rereleases of 4 and reboot, one of those sold well, the director is working on a new game, the series is still listed in financials

I do think they might hold off until E3 unfortunately. I think the only way it gets announced at PSX is if they have Dante as a playable character in Monster Hunter World. Would love to be proven wrong.

I also don't think there's anything DMC can do at this point to save the genre from being niche. I'd be surprised if it even reaches the heights of Souls games, which have for all intents and purposes taken that spotlight

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully if they remember to finish the game this time around and not ship a game that is only 50% complete (DMC4)

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata is brilliant, but its absolutely not comparable to DMC3 and NG. Those games required a ton of skill just to beat. I miss those.

Bayonetta is that, but MG:R didn't click with me from a gameplay standpoint. I much prefer Bayonetta and DMC4 SE to it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this genre in need of salvage? You yourself mentioned NierA.

No because Capcom will find a way to botch it somehow.

And no again because the genre is dead just like arcade racers

This post plus that username.

A bit too much negativity bro.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
You're assuming that DMC5 is going to be a proper hack and slash game, for all we know it might have the DMC gameplay but it'll be open world with side quests, RPG elements and what have you. Probably even a co-op multiplayer mode.

Goddamit you're probably right and this stuff ruined Dragon's Dogma. DMC5 needs to just focus on one character with a huge moveset and the rest of the game to take advantage of it, nothing more nothing less.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this genre in need of salvage? You yourself mentioned NierA.

This post plus that username.

A bit too much negativity bro.

For the record, I don't consider Platinum on the same level as Itsuno, and I classify DMC as a STYLISH hack n slahers. I want DMC5 to happen and be faithful, but Capcom man.......

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nier automatas combat is a joke compared devil may cry.

Itsuno Will save us believe

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Darksiders 3
- Continuation of the 2nd best western developed character action game ever. Led by a majority of team members who did the first two titles.
Aztez
- 2.5D character action game heavily inspired by DMC/God of War.
Platinum's Cygames project
-Whatever this is, I really doubt it's gonna deviate from the kind of titles Platinum are known for
God of War
-Completely different playstyle from the last games and yet still appears incredibly fast/deep to remain as the kind of game you'd expect it to be.
Extinction
-New Action game led by the Killer Instinct design lead. High flying action with huge enemies.

Five Hack and Slash games all tackling different approaches of the subgenre. And these are only the ones that have been announced/released now!

And that nifty ass Lost Soul Aside game that's been mentioned in the thread.