• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I know the game still sustains some level of activity, but I wonder if it can get a big boost again if it got the HD remaster + new QoL additions treatment to make it more modern.

I've personally never played it, but would like to dive in on consoles, as I've heard good things about its plot.

I'd imagine both platforms would be able to run it with ease, even Switch in undocked mode. (I do feel torn though. I'd love it in portable form on Switch, but PS4 would actually offer competent voice-chat as opposed to Nintendo's abhorrent "solution").

I also, know we're supposed to be getting a mobile version, but moble gaming (to me) sounds extremely unappealing and is a dealbreaker.

So, how feasible/successful would a remastered, hypothetical console port be?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Square could sustain two fully-active FF MMOs running in tandem at once. It probably wouldn't do that well outside of old-school XI loyalists, either. They'd need to do a LOT to update it to fit modern MMO sensibilities, and doing so would basically erase WHY the fans like it.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF XI still has 700,000 subscribers and over 70,000 players that play daily. It's not doing that bad for such an old MMO that has already had a sequel. I feel like a single player version of the game may be on the horizon though. There's been talks about it.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I say this as someone who's favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy XI..... I don't think so.

It's not a very accessible game, and has a high entry barrier (subscription) for today's standards. It's also a very slow game.

Perhaps if it was introduced with a free to play model it may have a fighting chance.

Oct 29, 2017
To attract a new audience they would need some MAJOR quality of life changes to the game. It would be a lot of effort and they run the risk of scaring off the people who are perfectly happy to keep playing it as it exists today.

I would love to try an updated FF11 too... But they've already got a substantial amount of players happy with it now and FF14 for anyone looking for something more modern and accessible. No reason to upset the apple cart.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
To attract a new audience they would need some MAJOR quality of life changes to the game. It would be a lot of effort and they run the risk of scaring off the people who are perfectly happy to keep playing it as it exists today.

I would love to try an updated FF11 too... But they've already got a substantial amount of players happy with it now and FF14 for anyone looking for something more modern and accessible. No reason to upset the apple cart.

The game has had many big quality of life changes though. The game is essentially soloable in all areas and there remains a ton of things to do and jobs to level.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd play the game with a Switch port if it ever happened. I don't think I can say the same for any other platform.

But I think it's a very long shot that it ever even happens.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Game is still pretty profitable for SE in its current state. It's nothing to "give up on" or try to cause a resurgence.

My dream is an offline version with a gambit system somehow implemented with lots of companions to choose from. Maybe a monster hunter like multiplayer thing where you can invite people to join your world for co-op. I wouldn't even mind if it was limited up to CoP ot ToAU content. I don't think it'll ever happen but dang would it be fun to revisit Vana'diel and all its stories in this fashion.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Game is still pretty profitable for SE in its current state. It's nothing to "give up on" or try to cause a resurgence.

My dream is an offline version with a gambit system somehow implemented with lots of companions to choose from. Maybe a monster hunter like multiplayer thing where you can invite people to join your world for co-op. I wouldn't even mind if it was limited up to CoP ot ToAU content. I don't think it'll ever happen but dang would it be fun to revisit Vana'diel and all its stories in this fashion.
Yes, I'd buy that. Then I would wait 10 years, and buy that same kind of offline version for FFXIV.