• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is ray tracing really not going to be possible on the next generation, with games targeting 30fps? Is it because of the AMD architecture?
No and no.
Raytracing is a h/w tool which you can use or not - similar to something like tessellation.
If you're aiming at using it you will have to budget your renderer accordingly because you will need more processing per frame to happen with it being in use.
There is nothing in the h/w itself which dictates any fps level or resolution - it's up to the developer to choose those which will provide the best all around experience.
And it's absolutely possible that some game may actually be better overall (higher fps or resolution or something else) without RT while another will make extensive use of it while still being able to output in 4K/60.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Who said a game can't be visually spectacular without RT?
There are about six threads focused on Ray Tracing right now. People are ascribing way too much significance to a feature that is additive and very impactful on performance.

But you're right, the majority aren't describing it as the only qualifier of a good looking game.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
RT is just an accurate representation of how lightning works and allows developers to simulate it even in complete dynamic scenarios.

3d work in general have always struggled with lighting and being able to have accurate lighting in real-time and no long bake times can severely impact content production allowing developers to iterate faster, not to mention that it's one less hurdle preventing the games to be more dynamic.

So, not to sound too harsh, but how you blown you are by the current usages is irrelevant.

Though, if you are willing to see the impacts, Alex from DF video on WD Legions is a good start. The beginning of the video where he shows the first WD and all the tech they had to implement to fake reflections and still got shat by it, makes a good case on why it would be awesome if they just enable RT reflections on everything and it would just work. Now make the same considerations for lighting (it's a open world game with dynamic life cycles overall), shadows etc...
The most impressive looking thing ever seen running in real time had no RT.

It's a nice tool and technology. It isn't the be all and end all. If developers wanted to push graphics as much as possible without RT they should have the option, but I suspect it may be the new "native 4K", where if a game doesn't have it then it's crucified.
Unreal 5 demo definitely used raytracing, just not the exact RT that is being accelerated by hardware on current gpus.

Though we have Hellblade 2 which was even more impressive and was using hardware RT according to that Epic blog post.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
RT is just an accurate representation of how lightning works and allows developers to simulate it even in complete dynamic scenarios.

3d work in general have always struggled with lighting and being able to have accurate lighting in real-time and no long bake times can severely impact content production allowing developers to iterate faster, not to mention that it's one less hurdle preventing the games to be more dynamic.

So, not to sound too harsh, but how you blown you are by the current usages is irrelevant.

Though, if you are willing to see the impacts, Alex from DF video on WD Legions is a good start. The beginning of the video where he shows the first WD and all the tech they had to implement to fake reflections and still got shat by it, makes a good case on why it would be awesome if they just enable RT reflections on everything and it would just work. Now make the same considerations for lighting (it's a open world game with dynamic life cycles overall), shadows etc...

Unreal 5 demo definitely used raytracing, just not the exact RT that is being accelerated by hardware on current gpus.

Though we have Hellblade 2 which was even more impressive and was using hardware RT according to that Epic blog post.
Not to mention the games people would use as an example of good reflection without RT (like TLoU2) would be games that would have developers spend a ton of time on carefully creating and aligning the cube maps. That shit is time consuming and not easy, and it still breaks. It's resources that Devs can spend elsewhere were they not busy carefully baking and placing those things to perfection.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Tbh I agree, I never found Control's approach to be game changing. Outside of Minecraft and Quake, Control and Fortnite are the two most feature complete RT game out there and neither of them have an aesthetic that lends particularly well to showing of those effects so that it's immediately apparent while playing, even without side by side comparison. You notice it at start when you're looking for it, but it kind of just disappears from your head after a while.

I have a 3080 so I have it turned on, but outside of reflections the differences are really subtle to be noticed without side by side comparisons. For instance the RTGI it uses is an extension of their existing GI solution which is similar to SVOGI and SVOGI is pretty damn accurate to begin with. Yes the RTGI makes it more accurate so that there's less light bleeding and less banding but it doesn't change the look of the game to a significant degree like it does in Metro Exodus....now that is what I consider game changing.

I'd argue and say that debris shadows in Control is a more noticeable RT effect than the RTGI and RT contact shadows as you don't need a side by side comparison for the differences to really pop. But even then I feel it's one game where despite having so many RT features it doesn't do as much to the game, then you look at something like Watch Dogs which only does RT reflections but there's a night and day difference between RT and non RT in that game. A lot of this is to do with the aesthetic of the game itself and how the assets were designed in the first place.

Maybe it is because I played through it again with my new 3080 build, but I was never wowed on my first play through as much as I was when maxing it out 2nd time round, but you are right, as soon as you settle into playing, you do forget about it, but then that is true for most graphics options I find. If you slow down and just observe your surroundings in Control, it is stunning.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not to mention the games people would use as an example of good reflection without RT (like TLoU2) would be games that would have developers spend a ton of time on carefully creating and aligning the cube maps. That shit is time consuming and not easy, and it still breaks. It's resources that Devs can spend elsewhere were they not busy carefully baking and placing those things to perfection.
Exactly. Games can look good without RT? They can.

But there's no free lunch, the games look good because developers spent hours calculating the expensive lighting offline so when you are playing the game it can look good under the restricted lighting conditions they had to limit it to.

Again the Alex/DF video on Halo Infinite is an awesome lecture on that, and they even show how an open world with dynamic light like metro can go to look as dull as HI did under the wrong light conditions, to something that matches the pre baked lighting of tlou2 by turning RT GI on.

Jun 23, 2020
Oh really, well go back into your 8-bit cave with these 'controversial opinions' and leave the reflections in the the puddles to us.

Yeah I get where you are coming from it's not game changing but visually it can look impressive.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I completely agree with you on many modern AAA titles. The pre-baked lighting they do is exceptionally good. There are titles that are markedly improved by it, but many see very little benefit when you're talking about dropping that many frames. I personally care much more about DLSS and hitting higher frames at 4k than RTX. However, RTX has some very real benefits for developers and also gives games a longer life with the ability to scale with hardware past their "prime".

It is something to look forward to, and continue to integrate, but the trade off still isn't quite there.

I have a 3080 and still wouldn't choose to turn it on most the time.

If the underlined is referring to the dev workflow improvements deriving from not having to spend time precomputing lighting, because it's all real-time, then this isn't actually true for the RT implementations for current games being produced at the moment.

All currently produced games use RT only for certain specific effects like reflections and dynamic shadows. Fully RT GI is out of reach for even the most powerfully PCs at the moment. Devs also have to target platforms incapable of any RT, so a traditional raster lighting mode still has to be authored and iterated, so in most cases, devs are now doing more work than prior to the introduction of RT, as they need to test and optimise game and assets for both.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Games can look good without RT? They can.

But there's no free lunch, the games look good because developers spent hours calculating the expensive lighting offline so when you are playing the game it can look good under the restricted lighting conditions they had to limit it to.

Again the Alex/DF video on Halo Infinite is an awesome lecture on that, and they even show how an open world with dynamic light like metro can go to look as dull as HI did under the wrong light conditions, to something that matches the pre baked lighting of tlou2 by turning RT GI on.
That's one of the other reasons, people want more dynamic environments but having more dynamic environment with baked lighting just means it ends up looking off.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think it's important for OP to say which games they played as well. It looks really good in some games and not great in others. Sometimes it is worth the cost and sometimes not. Pointless judging it based only on some select titles. For instance, it looks amazing in Miles Morales because of all the reflections and how complete it makes the buildings look visually imo.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I think is a nice effect but honestly is not something I feel I really need with nextgen games...
Better geometry, textures, even lighting are cool but honestly, the big productions this gen made some very satisfying visuals in this aspects.
Things i really wanted the devs spent time and processing power in future games that I think should be really the leap forward in game technology are:
1 animations in general ( facial, body, everything)
2 IA behavior ( human, animals, living creatures in general react and act in believable ways)
3 better fluid simulations and particles ( water, smoke, fire, wind, spells, destruction in general )

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
It's in early stages but 1/ has great potential and once the performance cost becomes negligible it will be the go-to technique for lots of stuff for sure, and 2/ I imagine it will greatly reduce dev cost because stuff that you previously had to bake in and re-do every time you needed to change something, you will now just do in real time. So it's actually a big deal, just hard to explain because the industry got so good at faking lots of the techniques, and the real deal is still eating too much into the performance budget.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How ray tracing was used in last-gen games was really minimal since the audience who had hardware capable of it was very small (and even in that audience, the lower end RTX cards weren't powerful enough to really show much ray tracing without killing the framerate). That's changing now that ray tracing cards are cheaper and far more powerful, and consoles are getting it.

I think this weekend's Digital Foundry review of Watchdogs Legion really shows how powerful having ray-traced reflections can be in a game that takes place entirely in a realistic city, especially the intro comparing it to the earlier games in the series. It adds a ton to the realism and believability of the environment and theme, and the game really goes to town with raytracing.

youtu.be

Watch Dogs Legion PC Review: Ray Tracing + GFX Upgrades - A Taste of Next-Gen?

Join Alex Battaglia for the complete breakdown of Watch Dogs Legion on PC - how is it enhanced over the current-gen consoles? What does the ray tracing look ...

Ray traced shadows and lighting can add to the experience in big ways too, though it can take the right circumstance for it to stand out. Really, Ray Tracing isn't about "pretty graphics" but more immersion into the game, your brain has to do less work imagining the world in the game as real.

Last edited:

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Technologically, ray tracing is the actual holy grail of graphics technology right now. Like, it's the thing we were pretty sure would never be feasible in real-time, so we got really good at faking visual approximations of it over the decades. The latter being the reason why it doesn't seem all that great on the user's end right now.

It's still the future though.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
As for nanite, that's a nice tech but it's not going to be practical for games because of two reasons; the first being it's not feasible to have a proper full length game with model quality that high as it's an unrealistic amount of work and you also need to store the data somewhere, the other being it only works on static geometry so if you want a dynamic environment with moving objects then it can't use nanite.
Nanite does work with moving geometry. (move, rotate and most likely scaling.)

Transparency, animated/topology changing geometry apparently is not supported.

Storage usage is an interesting problem, hopefully we will have more information on it soon.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
They could probably add some neat effects such as reflections, but TLOU2 (just like TLOU1) already has largely ray traced lighting.
I believe they already have ray tracing reflections, but only in controlled rooms with no interactive objects. But yeah they could have it on all windows outside which would be neat!

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
yeah, i am not really impressed tbh and i thought i was the only one heh. i'd much rather have devs use processing power for more realistic physics, a thousand times over... lighting is already great IMO while physics are stuck in 2004. i don't care how pretty reflections are on a window if i can't even break it.

Typhest

Oct 26, 2017
What ever happened to PC gaming being about pushing technology to it's limits? I totally get wanting high frame rates depending on the game but there's also something fun with crushing your PC to get the best possible graphics. I still fondly remember trying to max out Crysis on an ATi X1900XT. Sure, ray tracing has a huge performance impact, but it can look stunning and I believe it's the future of real time rendering. People complain too much about demanding settings.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The most impressive looking thing ever seen running in real time had no RT.
It has RT, in a basic rudimentary form of cone tracing and screen space tracing.

NV's Marbles at Night demo features a comparable level of geometric complexity while also using h/w RT for lighting.

If developers wanted to push graphics as much as possible without RT they should have the option
Who's preventing them from doing this?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It seems many people don't understand how lighting in games works and that's fine since you're not all knowledgeable about game development (and I'm certainly not an expert but have some knowledge of it). Here is an example to maybe illustrate both why many people aren't seeing a huge difference now vs why it's actually a big deal. This is a digital painting:

Fantastic-digital-painting-by-Irakli-Nadar-595ca1bedcb2d__700.jpg

and here is the original photograph:
4f3a065f4cf38e8ae4b553481b38043f.jpg

And people will say "they look almost the same, I don't see much difference at all". Yes, because the painter is very very skilled at recreating real life but the big thing is the painting took hundreds of hours while the photo took a couple of hours, and the photo still looks better and more realistic.

So that's the first thing, development time. The other big thing is the painting is completely static, you can't repose the model without spending an equal amount of time making a new painting. With a photo you just have her move and snap another one.

That is basically what's happening with lighting in games. The vast majority of lighting is faked to emulate what RT gives you in real time without all the extra effort, effort that can be put into making other aspects of the game better and more visually appealing.

We won't see the benefits right away but if we want to see better and more dynamic worlds in the future raytracing is absolutely a big big deal.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
It seems many people don't understand how lighting in games works and that's fine since you're not all knowledgeable about game development (and I'm certainly not an expert but have some knowledge of it). Here is an example to maybe illustrate both why many people aren't seeing a huge difference now vs why it's actually a big deal. This is a digital painting:

And people will say "they look almost the same, I don't see much difference at all". Yes, because the painter is very very skilled at recreating real life but the big thing is the painting took hundreds of hours while the photo took a couple of hours, and the photo still looks better and more realistic.

So that's the first thing, development time. The other big thing is the painting is completely static, you can't repose the model without spending an equal amount of time making a new painting. With a photo you just have her move and snap another one.

That is basically what's happening with lighting in games. The vast majority of lighting is faked to emulate what RT gives you in real time without all the extra effort, effort that can be put into making other aspects of the game better and more visually appealing.

We won't see the benefits right away but if we want to see better and more dynamic worlds in the future raytracing is absolutely a big big deal.

I like this analogy. So much time and effort is expended to simulate that photograph and in the end, you're still constrained by the fact that your creation is entirely static and can't be moved around, changed or manipulated in any way without breaking the whole thing. The exact same constraint is placed on rasterized graphics, and if we're to move to fully dynamic worlds that also look, not even real, but simply cohesive, well there's really no other way forward.

I get the sentiment that rayy tracing might not be worth it right now, although I completely disagree, especially now with image reconstruction techniques like DLSS, but developers have to start somewhere. I think we all should be grateful that the literal holy grail of graphics rendering, the end game of CG graphics, is possible right now on consumer-grade hardware. I definitely didn't think we'd be in this position not even a couple of years ago.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I still don't understand people saying that the technology isn't 'there yet'. Whatever that means. I just finished playing through Control, with RT, all maxed out at 4K DLSS from 1440P and loved every minute. It is 'there' on current technology, and is only getting more releases going forward, including in one of the biggest games of the year.

Jun 26, 2018
Control with ray tracing was amazing, the reflections in the office space glass walls where tremendous and added a lot more to the experience than I would have initially thought.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
RT is impressive and for sure a game changer when it comes to graphics, but I'll prioritize fps over it. I'll enjoy some good graphics for like a few hours, get used to it then forget all about it. Gameplay and fps will always be on top, well at least for me. We'll eventually get to highFPS with RT norm anyway either by optimization/ good implementation/ better techniques. We'll surely be there by next gen cards.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I also just finished Control yesterday. My 2080 couldn't run full 1440p/60, but with DLSS it ran perfectly at 60-80FPS (VRR) with all ray tracing cranked to the max. The reflections especially added a ton to the experience and look of the game. I completely disagree that it's overhyped, it's the biggest jump in quality since PBR materials.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop making this argument. At least for this generation. Today's hardware is too weak to do path traced lighting on anything other than the likes of Minecraft and Quake 2. If anything RT is currently increasing the workload of developers.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think RT is a bigger deal than some make it out to be, evident by some people only thinking it makes "fancy" reflections possible. Most of the time RT is seen as a visual features but it can improve AI path finding and audio, too. It's literally a revolution.

I dunno if that's viable yet, but seeing the countless path traced Minecraft videos had me thinking about gameplay elements based on RT. What if a puzzle is more than use item XY and bring it to the door? What if the task is, you need to let purple light shine on the button scanner and now you have all the various ways to deal with it?

Use items or reflections? Use a purple sword you found earlier? Why not use different colored glass to make the light shine purple onto the button? It opens up possibilities only possible in a scripted matter before.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

THANK YOU.

So many people throw away RT as useless when they grossly underestimate the amount of time devs can save by implementing it. I can't wait until it becomes the new standard.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
So many people throw away RT as useless when they grossly underestimate the amount of time devs can save by implementing it. I can't wait until it becomes the new standard.
In the future it WILL be a big timesaver, when we go from some individual RT features that replace SSR/AO/GI to the full Pathtracing deal.

In the meantime, I think the new Real Time Lighting System and the new LOD Unreal Engine presented are a bit more interesting. Both looked incredible in the demo.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is ray tracing really not going to be possible on the next generation, with games targeting 30fps? Is it because of the AMD architecture?
Ray Tracing is possible even at 60FPS on these new machines. GT7 is confirmed to be 60FPS, RT and 4K. The latter could mean 1440p or native 4K for all we know. But the point still stands there will be 60FPS games using RT on Series X and PS5.
In the future it WILL be a big timesaver, when we go from some individual RT features that replace SSR/AO/GI to the full Pathtracing deal.
I think PS6 and Xbox Next will be the consoles where we might see development cost decreasing slightly due to full pathtracing and some (matured) ML techniques.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Yep. Everything looks better with raytracing on but it comes at an enormous performance cost.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's incredibly wasteful resource-wise for usually minor visual buffs. The resources would undoubtedly be put to better use in literally any other way.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the effect but the performance cost is just too big to me compared the gains of having it off.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't huge benefits on the image quality to be honest, but if it allows less development time and eases the pressure on the devs, I'm all for it.

I think the true start of the technology comes now with the new consoles, now everyone will start working properly on it might achieve higher advancements.

For example, I remember in the PS3 era in which Anti-Aliasing used to be such a huge problem, and then PS4/XBO era solved it with excellent temporal AA. I hope devs finds a good way to implement ray tracing as well

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I get the argument, but I would say that it is not 100% certain that the performance tradeoff will be worth it any time in the near future.

We have dedicated ray tracing hardware in cards today, most RT-enabled games are only doing a small set of effects, yet the performance hit is still massive. In order to change the development process, games need to support global illumination - which is much more expensive than what most games are doing today - and it has to work on your minimum target hardware specs. We may be a decade away from that point, and that's assuming that we continue to see some form of Moore's Law scaling in transistor cost and density.