• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be like watching Return of the Jedi before A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Bad idea.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is stopping you. If you don't care about the story at all and you never will, go ahead.

You're not going to know what's going on and the story for the previous games are going to be spoiled.

But if you only care about Disney, gameplay and visuals then go ahead. You're going to have a great time.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gameplay wise and based on experience its gonna be sooooo hard playing kh1 after 3.

If you wanna get a feeling of what i mean get 2.5 and 2.8 and play fragmentary passage first then play kh1 and see how night and day the controls are

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, that's a lot of content to go through. That's why I want to just play 3, because I don't want to rush through the previous titles. I want to fully immerse myself.
I don't know how long you think these games are, but I assure you they aren't that long.

I did a game a month got caught up in 5 months. No rushing. Mind you I didn't actually play through 358/2 Days and Re:Coded, I just watched the videos that were on the 1.5 and 2.5 discs.

No need to go and spoil the whole series just because you have FOMO.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Watch a complete story summary with sections for each game on Youtube. Then go for 3.
I only played 1 and Chain of Memories GBA but jumping in on 3. Youtube summaries really helped me follow what the hell was going on in these trailers and understand the story better.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you expect KH3 to be a worse game than the preceding games and then move on to better places? People get all sorts of ideas with these long running series. I'd wait on getting into KH3 until all the version updates and dlc is done but some people are really into being in the zeitgeist of the launch i guess.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to enjoy the visuals, new Disney characters. Besides, I plan on playing all of them in order after I beat 3.
Gonna be rough playing KH1 and CoM.
Watch a youtube video and play through 3. You will obviously not get everything storywise but you already knew that. Asking a question like this on forums is going to bring out the franchise hardcores and their expected replies.
Precisely.

Also, publishers want new blood. They're not just making their projections on KH die hards only. That's ridiculous.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This brings me back to a post I made earlier about why it is people feel they need to play a game the moment it is released and not wait. There is no deadline that tells you that you need to finish the entire series in time for the release of KH3.
But muh zeitgeist FOMO

Actually I am playing COM right now so I can't talk.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This brings me back to a post I made earlier about why it is people feel they need to play a game the moment it is released and not wait. There is no deadline that tells you that you need to finish the entire series in time for the release of KH3.
KH3 was built for the current generation console and looks rather striking. Much, much better than the prequels.

Yes, the collection of the prequels are on PS4, but they don't look as good. Plus the new worlds and such.

Many reasons why people would go straight for KH3. I honestly think there are way too many KH diehards here because even begging the question seems sacrilegious to many lol.

And we're saying this after SE said there would be some catch up movie and the ubiquity of YT as well.

Bizarre.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Very bad idea.
The gameplay is really shitty in KH2.

So many hack and slash sequence...and doing that for 50+hrs. Geezus.
And that is just one game.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you? Of course.

Should you, assuming you want the full impact of the story? Absolutely not.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Should be fine. I'd recommend not reading any summaries for the previous games either. Kingdom Hearts 3 will offer a very strong, compelling narrative regardless of if you've played the previous games or not.

Oct 26, 2017
I rather play the new game and then go back and enjoy the story.
Sounds like a good idea, this series isn't built upon insane plot twists or anything

Should be fine. I'd recommend not reading any summaries for the previous games either. Kingdom Hearts 3 will offer a very strong, compelling narrative regardless of if you've played the previous games or not.

xehanort "who will you save ventus or roxas"
entremet "erm thats the same person, is the game bugged or s/t"

Kairi "hey axel, want a ice cream?"
Lea "Sure"
Kairi "Here you go Lea"
entremet "wtf is this guys name"

Hes gonna be so compelled

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a good idea, this series isn't built upon insane plot twists or anything

xehanort "who will you save ventus or roxas"
entremet "erm thats the same person, is the game bugged or s/t"

Kairi "hey axel, want a ice cream?"
Lea "Sure"
Kairi "Here you go Lea"
entremet "wtf is this guys name"

Hes gonna be so compelled
Quoted the wrong person

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I just went and watched a bunch of youtube videos to catch up on everything. As for people asking why, people don't have hundreds of hours worth of time to invest in like 120+ hours to play through the collection. I would never get to experience Kingdom Hearts 3 if i didn't catch up on the story in other means.

You can absolutely do it, just make sure you do the recap on the game or look for a really well made youtube video.
I don't understand why you feel you have to play KH3 right away if you haven't played any of the other games.
Because i would never get the time to play 5 Kingdom Heart games? It's gonna take me probably 2 months just to beat KH3. Also, why do you care? I already know the story, i don't need to play them.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Lmao at people being adamant about playing this clusterfuck of a plot in order. Also what kind of poop socking do you expect people to do? Play 5+ KH games in order of release before the new one comes out? Who has that time?

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I mean, you can do it, but after seeing the gorgeous graphics you don't want to return to shitty PS2 graphics. Trust me.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Don't listen to them. I read Book 7 of Harry Potter first, then read the fifth, then Chamber of Secrets, then 3, 4, 1, wrapping it up with book six.

None of the story made sense, but I'm mostly just there for the experience of holding a book, and getting to look at words in any order I choose.
I love this post :D

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao at people being adamant about playing this clusterfuck of a plot in order. Also what kind of poop socking do you expect people to do? Play 5+ KH games in order of release before the new one comes out? Who has that time?
or they could watch the cutscenes on youtube if they are so inclined to jump into a series that is on its 7th entry.

there are multiple ways you can jump in without being absolutely blind to the whole series going into three.
but seriously, calling kh a clusterfuck in its plotting is like calling any young adult book series, long running movie franchise, or even a shounen manga a clusterfuck.
If you consume it in order its not hard to figure out whats happening b/c the new information comes at you as you progress rather than all at once.

Seriously if i tried to explain fucking Naruto, Harry Potter, or some other stuff in their entirety to someone they would also get frusterated and pissy b/c they its hard to wrap your mind around a decade+ franchise with progressing and interwoven plots in the span of a few minutes.

People often give shit about stuff like the Ansem SoD vs Ansem the wise vs Xehanort vs Xemnas shiz, but as the games progress that information comes in such a way that it actually isn't confusing.

Seriously, if a person does not have the time, they can still consume the story.
"who has the time to figure out the plotting of a 15+ year franchise when they only wanna experience the new hotness".
you kidding?

Very bad idea.

you haven't played the version on ps3 or ps4 have you? b/c this is a bad take mate

also, how did it take you that long to beat kh2? I replayed it a year and a bit ago on ps3 (with the shit load times and long transformations), i grinded out the drives and did the cavern of rememberance and beat the final boss and I was only at 38 hours.
Like no one takes 50+ hours just to beat kh.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing through KH1 right now on PS4 and it totally holds up fine today despite being a PS2 port. Apparently it's not overly long either.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can... I guess? I'd say it would be a bad idea though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just know that the "3" can be deceiving. You're actually jumping into the tenth entry of the series.

May 10, 2018
or they could watch the cutscenes on youtube if they are so inclined to jump into a series that is on its 7th entry.

there are multiple ways you can jump in without being absolutely blind to the whole series going into three.
but seriously, calling kh a clusterfuck in its plotting is like calling any young adult book series, long running movie franchise, or even a shounen manga a clusterfuck.
If you consume it in order its not hard to figure out whats happening b/c the new information comes at you as you progress rather than all at once.

Seriously if i tried to explain fucking Naruto, Harry Potter, or some other stuff in their entirety to someone they would also get frusterated and pissy b/c they its hard to wrap your mind around a decade+ franchise with progressing and interwoven plots in the span of a few minutes.

People often give shit about stuff like the Ansem SoD vs Ansem the wise vs Xehanort vs Xemnas shiz, but as the games progress that information comes in such a way that it actually isn't confusing.

Seriously, if a person does not have the time, they can still consume the story.
"who has the time to figure out the plotting of a 15+ year franchise when they only wanna experience the new hotness".
you kidding?

you haven't played the version on ps3 or ps4 have you? b/c this is a bad take mate

also, how did it take you that long to beat kh2? I replayed it a year and a bit ago on ps3 (with the shit load times and long transformations), i grinded out the drives and did the cavern of rememberance and beat the final boss and I was only at 38 hours.
Like no one takes 50+ hours just to beat kh.
Pretty much. Outside of the time travel bs, the overall story of the series isn't that hard to follow.

There has been plenty of time to get into the series in preparation for KH3 and the games aren't that long unless you're trying to complete everything.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did.

And I did half of it during the fall where I was also playing a lot of the new releases, all while having a 40 hour a week job. It's not the monumental task that some of you are making it out to be. KH2 took the most time at about 20ish hours on Critical, but all the other ones I had beat in less time than that on Standard.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are at least a couple of high-quality recap videos out there that cover every game, even the mobile and handheld ones because all of them are canon, so do that then play KH3.

I don't envy your confusion otherwise.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If you're fine with playing solely for Disney and game play, sure. You will not understand the overarching plot at all. You should probably skip all the non-Disney cut scenes though as they won't make sense. It'll also completely spoil the story of past games too, so you'd be playing past games only for Disney and game play as well.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
It is kinda, the spinoffs just provide better context to the overall story and some make it worse. playing KH1, CoM and KH2 is probably enough.

BBS is 100% necessary. The cutscenes from DDD's final world are as well.

Very bad idea.

KH2's gameplay is the furthest thing from shitty. What are you on about.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Hell naw, I just recently preordered the all in one bundle soley to play through the entire series back to back before even attempting to play through KHIII. No way am i jumping into it without experiencing the previous titles first and recap videos aren't anywhere near as effective at immersing yourself into the lore, story, and characters and don't offer same impact and knowledge that actually playing the games do. Not going to knock anyone who doesn't have the time or money to play through previous titles but i damn well sure ain't gonna take their opinion seriously when it comes to any story critiques.

Oct 25, 2017
Some people love the story, and some people hate it.

I love it. I love diving deep into the lore and background of characters, I love the twists and surprises. The mystery of what is going to happen next. Each game builds on the previous, and it is really really fun going for the ride.

Honestly OP, maybe you'll be one of those people.

But I will say this, if you start with 3, you will absolutely destroy all sense of mystery and discovery. Everything is just laid bare, right there from the get go. Going back and playing the games with the knowledge from KH3 will strip all the magic from the story of those games.

So just know that going in.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, yes. The stories in this series are trash. You'll be able to get by just doing anime stuff in Disney worlds. That's the fun of the games anyway.

suikoden352

Oct 27, 2017
You can if you want though plot points and characters might not resonate with you as they would for players who have played the other games through the years. Atleast watch a recap video of the series before hand as whatever SE puts out isn't Guaranteed to actually explain anything at all other than cutscenes and such. There's some solid videos on YouTube which go through it all for those who haven't played the other games. It's going to be helluv confusing so be prepared for that.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
SE already commented there will be some sort recap movie with KH3. I cannot fathom people burning out themselves out on 5 plus games only to understand the story. Along with fan made stuff on YT.

There are hardcore fans that don't remember anything and they are getting it. Don't get sucked into this completionist perfectionism.
Agreed. Just go for it. Honestly the story is a mess anyway. Overly simplistic with lots of useless meandering typical to anime storytelling. A five minute recap vid and you'll be ready to go.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Going in order from newest to oldest almost always results in 1 of 2 things as far as I've experienced. As you go back, you either begin to hate the gameplay of the newer releases and prefer the gameplay of the older ones, thus souring you on the newer stuff (and what may come after). Or you slowly begin to hate the gameplay of the older stuff, resulting in either not finishing your journey back around or just outright dropping the series entirely. I always, always, always play games in release order for that reason. Gameplay doesn't always get better, but at least you have the story to drive you forward at that point.