• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Do it. Just keep in mind that the other games are heavily tied to the story of KH3. There will be much that is unclear but you might be able to put the pieces together by reading the compendium in game, read the ones for the characters too.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Story isn't that great or important. For me they're just fun games. I've enjoyed multiple KH games not caring what's going on. I suggest just play 3 first since it's out so soon, then go through the others and catch up on the story after if you care enough.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
SE already commented there will be some sort recap movie with KH3. I cannot fathom people burning out themselves out on 5 plus games only to understand the story. Along with fan made stuff on YT.

There are hardcore fans that don't remember anything and they are getting it. Don't get sucked into this completionist perfectionism.
I just went and watched a bunch of youtube videos to catch up on everything. As for people asking why, people don't have hundreds of hours worth of time to invest in like 120+ hours to play through the collection. I would never get to experience Kingdom Hearts 3 if i didn't catch up on the story in other means.

You can absolutely do it, just make sure you do the recap on the game or look for a really well made youtube video.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Maybe its better you start out fresh in KH3, the story is kinda stupid and I don't think its going to amazing conclusion people think its going to get. Just turn off your brain and enjoy the mindless combat on easy and get drunk on Disney nostalgia if that's your thing.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you know you'll be lost when it comes to the story. But go for it. The gameplay is fun as shit

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Beyond just not understanding story stuff, it might be hard to go back to KH1 or Chain of Memories after playing games with more modern controls/features

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
And that's forgetting that KH games have more than it's story. You watch a series purely for it's story, you can play games for the gameplay.

Not saying Kingdom Hearts don't have a story. Just saying from what I hear from a lot of fans is that the story isn't just a straight Beginning-Middle-End like GoT of any other big name movie/tv shows.

If you're going to play the older titles and then 3 again, why don't you just play the older titles first and then 3? This makes no sense.

You do realize that's going to take a long time before I get to 3? I have no problem going back. I've done this before with some games. I have no problem going back and fully immersing myself in the lore.

I guess I just don't see the point in potentially souring your experience if you're gonna play the others anyway.

If you just want to play three and then go back if you enjoyed it, fair enough, that makes more sense, but the specific plan to go three then the rest is just odd.

I rather play the new game and then go back and enjoy the story.

I mean yeah if you're just playing for the gameplay than sure. I assumed OP had interest in the story

I do. But not when 3 comes out.

The most appropriate example should be avengers: infinity wars. and yes you can watch avengers without anything before

That's a better example.

I like that video. And you might be right, but I'll see when it releases.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
If you really want to play KH3 just play that and ignore the rest since III has a recap. Well that's what I would have done if I didn't play the past games

Slash12771

Jul 12, 2018
I'd recommend playing the previous games first if you care about fully understanding the story. If you don't have the time for playing a bunch of games b4 the 29th, there should be a good recap vid on YT or something.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Does it really matter which one he plays first when in likely less than a year the plot will be retconned by a series of spin offs?

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying Kingdom Hearts don't have a story. Just saying from what I hear from a lot of fans is that the story isn't just a straight Beginning-Middle-End like GoT of any other big name movie/tv shows.
With the exception of Birth By Sleep, the main games which I consider to be Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance and III, all are same chronological and release order and all follow the adventures of Sora/Sora&Riku/Sora&Donald&Goofy. It's pretty beginning-middle-end-y IMO.
Does it really matter which one he plays first when in likely less than a year the plot will be retconned by a series of spin offs?
A subsequent entry only has so much power. Does some future spinoff really NECESSITATE you think about all previous entries in terms of the retcon? Seems silly to let an uncertain future take hostage a segment of a story like that, you know?

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Just watch a YouTube video to catch up on the lore or something. No reason to play through the other games if you don't want to.

Jul 24, 2018
This brings me back to a post I made earlier about why it is people feel they need to play a game the moment it is released and not wait. There is no deadline that tells you that you need to finish the entire series in time for the release of KH3.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I just point everyone to that 36 minute story video, which doesn't cover every single aspect but good enough and then maybe going back and playing the games after finishing 3.

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
You intend on going back, anyway, so what real harm is there in enjoying KH3 at release like everyone else who plans on getting it Day 1?
There is none. Have fun.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
This KH3 Fomo some of you have is getting weird.

It's a bad idea, but there's nothing physically stopping you.

Just like I can physically start with Infinity War.

I'd say watching Avengers EndGame without watching Infinity War would be more of a war crime. Infinity War was made so you can enjoy it without paying too much attention to the story or new character development/references from previous titles. Avengers EndGame? That one will most likely be confusing to newcomers. But I don't know which movie would be equivalent to what I want to do regarding Kingdom Hearts 3.

How would you even know?

I'm a hardcore Marvel movie fan. I can definitely say watching Avengers Infinity War or maybe even EndGame would be similar to playing Kingdom Hearts 3 without investing in the older games.

If anything, I don't want to rush through the older titles. I want to fully immerse in them, but by the time I play 3, it would probably be March and there's 3 games I want to play from that month.

With the exception of Birth By Sleep, the main games which I consider to be Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance and III, all are same chronological and release order and all follow the adventures of Sora/Sora&Riku/Sora&Donald&Goofy. It's pretty beginning-middle-end-y IMO.

A subsequent entry only has so much power. Does some future spinoff really NECESSITATE you think about all previous entries in terms of the retcon? Seems silly to let an uncertain future take hostage a segment of a story like that, you know?

Oh god, that's a lot of content to go through. That's why I want to just play 3, because I don't want to rush through the previous titles. I want to fully immerse myself.

This brings me back to a post I made earlier about why it is people feel they need to play a game the moment it is released and not wait. There is no deadline that tells you that you need to finish the entire series in time for the release of KH3.

True but if you knew how many video game series I missed out on, you wouldn't be saying that lol. I fell behind on ALOT of franchises, which is why I plan on getting an Xbox One for BC mostly.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Do it OP. Play though KH3 and be completely confused. Then go back and play the other games and still be confused.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Watch a youtube video and play through 3. You will obviously not get everything storywise but you already knew that. Asking a question like this on forums is going to bring out the franchise hardcores and their expected replies.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
no, once you finish kh3 you enter a contract with nomura that prohibits you from ever playing kingdom hearts again

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You're gonna hate it. I played KH2 without playing chain of memories(only remembering it a little from back in the GBA) and the story didn't make a lot of sense because I missed a lot of details.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SE already commented there will be some sort recap movie with KH3. I cannot fathom people burning out themselves out on 5 plus games only to understand the story. Along with fan made stuff on YT.

There are hardcore fans that don't remember anything and they are getting it. Don't get sucked into this completionist perfectionism.
Is that recap video like 5 hours long?

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The plot for Kingdom Hearts is confusing enough already. Pretty sure if you wanted to do KH3 first, you probably will be saying "WTF is going on" every hour on the hour.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just went and watched a bunch of youtube videos to catch up on everything. As for people asking why, people don't have hundreds of hours worth of time to invest in like 120+ hours to play through the collection. I would never get to experience Kingdom Hearts 3 if i didn't catch up on the story in other means.

You can absolutely do it, just make sure you do the recap on the game or look for a really well made youtube video.
I don't understand why you feel you have to play KH3 right away if you haven't played any of the other games.

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
Just do it. Don't even look at any recap videos and ignore the story completely. It's gutter trash, anyway. Not worth the time needed to try to understand this trainwreck. And that's coming from someone who has been playing the games since the first one.

There's a lot to enjoy in kingdom hearts, story is not part of it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, that's a lot of content to go through. That's why I want to just play 3, because I don't want to rush through the previous titles. I want to fully immerse myself.
If you want to "fully immerse" yourself, you should not be rushing to play ANY titles, old ones or III. Get the ultimate HD collection, give yourself a couple days to play Kingdom Hearts 1 (the best game in the series, especially for story btw), and every couple weeks check out the next game.

There's no way you can be fully immersed in III if you're distracted by organization XIII, data Riku, Xehanort, nobodies, heartless, χ-blade (pronounced key-blade), Vanitas, the mark of mastery, etc. and you have no idea what any of it means.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
I've never understood why people want to do this tbh.

It's really like wanting to read deathly Hallows and then go back and read the rest of the books.

It's just not a good idea imo. And considering that there's an all in one package on PS4 now (or just was let's plays or cutscenes online), it's not like is hard to actually experiance things in order

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Whats up with all the panic struck people who desperately wanna get into KH all of a sudden right before launch? SE prepared y'all with remasters for years on 2 different gens, and now you wanna play them.

I want to play Kingdom Hearts 3 first, then go back to the other titles and replay 3 again. Am I able to do that?
Sure, if u can finish 3, then go back to the 2002 graphics of kh1, be unable to stand the gfx and slowness of kh1 for like an hour or 2, then give up and make another thread here saying how KH3 made 0 sense :)

At the very least, play 1 and 2, ~50 hour commitment.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats up with all the panic struck people who desperately wanna get into KH all of a sudden right before launch? SE prepared y'all with remasters for years on 2 different gens, and now you wanna play them.

Because they were "spinoffs" remember? They weren't supposed to matter and all that bull excuses people who only played 1 and 2 came up with for the past 13 years.

As for the new people, they want to be part of the hype but they're missing out on some of the huge reason there's even a hype to begin with lol

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you already made up your mind, OP, and you're just asking people to justify your decision. You already know the proper answer to your question.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why people want to do this tbh.

It's really like wanting to read deathly Hallows and then go back and read the rest of the books.

It's just not a good idea imo. And considering that there's an all in one package on PS4 now (or just was let's plays or cutscenes online), it's not like is hard to actually experiance things in order

Because people don't understand how this work. They're so used to standalone stories in video games that something having a longrunning story over multiple installments is difficult to grasp for some.

Makes me wonder if these people have read a book or watched a TV show in their life.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Thats like playing through Metal Gear Solid 4 first prior to other games.

Or playing FFIV After Years after FFIV or Dirge of Cerberus first before FFVII.

or playing Mega Man 11 before the rest.

or playing Devil May Cry 5 before the rest.

or playing Uncharted 4 before the rest

or God of War 3 before the rest.

Or watching any TV Show or movie that is in the last series first before the ones that came out before.

You'll be lost.