• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
No, i'll never play the games I play on my PC on my PS5 and i'll never play the games I play on my PS5 on my PC

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. We already have statements from Phil Spencer where he said that frame rate will be one of the big things next-gen. And this will be a big draw, if you can just put in a game and run it at up to 4K / 60fps with perfect HDR, all without having to fiddle with settings.

wow I feel like I've read this like 3-4 times before every new console releases

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I don't understand how some people think they're qualified to even touch on the subject of PC gaming when they're this ignorant as to why people play on PC to begin with
Right? Wasn't the PS4 supposed to be a 1080p 60fps machine?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nope. We already have statements from Phil Spencer where he said that frame rate will be one of the big things next-gen. And this will be a big draw, if you can just put in a game and run it at up to 4K / 60fps with perfect HDR, all without having to fiddle with settings.
If Sony said 60fps will be a focus, i would believe them, but man, Phil has said a lot of stuff & rarely delivered. I like the guy too but hes a hype machine.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
New consoles will start the new big wave of PC upgrades, but like always, people will be happy to do so if the games are good.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
oh, its that time again. Every single time the new consoles are on the way we get these dumb articles , lol.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

We probably never got such a big jump in CPU power. And we are at a point where resolution is good enough. That's why the focus will be on improving graphics quality and frame rate.

Not sure how it'd cause trouble, not sure people who play on PC would want to downgrade to just 60 fps.

I doubt that ~4K / 60fps with HDR for big AAA titles is a downgrade for most PC gamers. And games like Fortnite / Overwatch will very likely run at 120fps on next-gen consoles.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
If Sony said 60fps will be a focus, i would believe them, but man, Phil has said a lot of stuff & rarely delivered. I like the guy too but hes a hype machine.

You would believe Sony who doesn't even make their own games 60fps? I wouldn't believe either of them. They are consoles. I don't expect 60fps on consoles. No one should. They go for graphical showcases. And 5 years on you can't do that with old ass hardware and maintain 60fps.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure Sony said that with the PS4 and the PS4 isn't exactly that
I can't remember if they did, they might have? the media can just say stuff off the cuff & people think it's the company that said it, it's been a thing since the unsinkable Titanic, white star line didn't say that lol.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Halo 5 was 60fps. FH4 has a 60fps mode (as in actual 60fps, not unlocked framerate nonsense). Gears 5 is 60fps. Bleeding Edge is 60fps. Xbox One X is the only console with 120hz and VRR.

But what Phil actually said is that he'd like to see a bigger focus on higher framerates next gen. He's not going to mandate that developers have to make their games 60fps, because that's up to them. But the power will be there, it's (as always) down to developers on how they want to utilitise it. At least there will be a better balance next gen between CPU and GPU.

PC will remain the only platform where you can always brute force games to 60fps+. Although it's funny we're talking about 60fps when 120fps is where the real excitement lies. It's difficult to go back to 60 after experiencing 120.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Consoles will kill PC.
Mobile will kill Consoles.
PC will kill Mobile.

It's a vicious all-consuming cycle folks. Invest in Hoop-and-Stick now before it gets killed by the Radio.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when PS4 would make 1080p 60fps games a standard? Or how it was clear Naughty Dog would make Uncharted 4 60fps after they talked so well about the impact of 60fps? Good old times.

Also, PS5 will not make native 4k-60fps a thing. Stop believing that people. In a competition between framerate and eye-candy, eye-candy is always gonna win.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

There is no world I see where this is even remotely a possibility. PC games exist because PC players like open platforms not closed gardens like consoles.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Halo 5 was 60fps. FH4 has a 60fps mode (as in actual 60fps, not unlocked framerate nonsense). Gears 5 is 60fps. Bleeding Edge is 60fps. Xbox One X is the only console with 120hz and VRR.

But what Phil actually said is that he'd like to see a bigger focus on higher framerates next gen. He's not going to mandate that developers have to make their games 60fps, because that's up to them. But the power will be there, it's (as always) down to developers on how they want to utilitise it. At least there will be a better balance next gen between CPU and GPU.
Im talking more when Phil kept talking about a great line up of games & then cancelled half of them, he is trying for sure, but he has let down early adopters of Xbox One.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when PS4 would make 1080p 60fps games a standard? Or how it was clear Naughty Dog would make Uncharted 4 60fps after they talked so well about the impact of 60fps? Good old times.

Also, PS5 will not make native 4k-60fps a thing. Stop believing that people. In a competition between framerate and eye-candy, eye-candy is always gonna win.

naah bro THIS time it'll be different

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
As long as Sony charges folk for online multiplayer this will never happen.

And even if they didn't no way in hell. A PC can do a thousand more things than a limited closed off console.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Well they couldn't, because the CPU was too shitty. Now they can, because of better balance between GPU/CPU.

Nobody is talking about native 4K. Stuff like temporal upscaling will be standard.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Didn't see where you were elected spokesperson for PC gamers. I like the multiplats, console type games AND that PC exclusive stuff you can't get elsewhere.
Grats, so you fall into the category I was talking about.
Snark aside, it's pretty obvious that PC gaming contains elements that aren't replicable on consoles, and consoles won't be a replacement regardless of hardware.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like a very good article, and it makes me feel like people who only closely cover console gaming never learn. It's as if the author think PC hardware stays in one place and never changes.

It'll probably be about the same as last time: PS5 will launch with a GPU that's similar to mid-range PC GPUs released that same year, but won't even scratch high-end PC GPUs. What was special about PS4 was the RAM. If anything it looks like what'll be special about PS5 is the NVMe SSD coming standard and being an integral part of how games stream assets.

But more importantly, what a lot of people don't seem to understand is that no closed platform will ever have a chance of killing PC gaming. The very thought that power is the only thing or even the main thing separating PC and consoles is a mistake in itself. AAA games are far from the only reason I mainly play on PC, and I would even argue that consoles are a better deal price-wise for playing AAA games, but PC is a better deal for playing nearly anything else.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they couldn't, because the CPU was too shitty. Now they can, because of better balance between GPU/CPU.

Nobody is talking about native 4K. Stuff like temporal upscaling will be standard.

nothing you are saying here is unique to this console generation at all lmao

I feel like this thread is just feeds into the masturbatory fantasy that accompanies every single new console gen and I wish threads like these got closed.

Literally no meaningful discussion comes from these threads other than platform warriors.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
The closest the PC gaming platform was to dying was during the very start of last generation, before the PS3 even launched.
After steam and DD in general took off it pretty much guaranteed that PC gaming wouldn`t be killed.

The audience is too hardcore, has too much money to spend, it has too many unique genres and too many independent storefronts (for better or for worse) to be easily killed.

Traditional console gaming will die before PC gaming, but I have no idea when that will be.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Ofc he says this.
Neither gpu flops nor memory like this gen (ZOMG 8GB!!!) will be looking impressive to anyone.
The biggest jump will be on the cpu so that's what he hypes.
And because of bc and cross-gen games we will see many more 60fps games.
But if you believe that this will lead to a mass exodus of pc gaming you have no idea of pc gaming.

We probably never got such a big jump in CPU power. And we are at a point where resolution is good enough. That's why the focus will be on improving graphics quality and frame rate.
Wrong.
This will be the smallest cpu jump of any Playstation home console outside of PS3->PS4.