• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No $500 (give or take) console is going to make a PC, with a newly-released $1000 (give or take) video card and a far superior CPU, obsolete. There will always be more capability with a PC. The PS5 could take a large portion of the PC gaming share and the PC enthusiast market will still not become obsolete.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. This bit o' creative shitposting from sites always happens at the end of one console cycle and the beginning of another. As predictable as EA releasing a FIFA game each year to be honest.

That said, PC gaming has apparently been dead since the 80s so...meh.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
*teleports behind PC*

wiki-ow-to-survive-a-school-or-workplace-shooting-nothing-16093092.png

Very weird article

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You have to pay to play PS5 games online. No mods for multiple games, no freedom to play how you want with settings, and no alt tab to hid that you are playing games at work.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
even if it was sold for $200 and was faster than a 2080 ti there would be advantages for the PC for not being a closed platform

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, this kind of article came out when the PS3 was coming. And the Xbox 360. And the PS4. And the Xbox One. Hell, the GameCube...

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I've lost all ability to tell when threads are sarcastic or dead serious. Um when a playstation runs windows and has upgradable parts, then sure lol!

Oct 29, 2017
I guess assumption comes from the idea that PC gaming is settling for a more powerful console by throwing money towards hardware and not about the freedom of the platform and the variety of options.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Sony's PlayStation 5 is expected to be more powerful than some of the graphics cards currently on offer and could make PC gaming obsolete.
It really is too bad that no more graphics cards or CPUs will ever be made after whatever one Sony uses in the PS5. RIP in pieces, PC

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those stories that comes up every 5 years or so. At launch, they'll still be outclassed by a half-decent PC.

The console market has not grown since the PS2 days.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
PlayStation 5 is faster than some graphics cards

Woah, really?

That article is one of the worst of its kind and I've been seeing them pop up since the 90s, that dude just copy & pasted a bunch of speculation, went to the Era school of understanding Teraflops and barfed out some words to connect all the numbers without bothering to make reasonable arguments.

Also, considering 95% of modern console's innards are basically PC hardware (plus secret sauce which can make a difference, not denying that) and PC gaming is playing a big part in helping to drive that hardware forward inbetween console cycles, especially graphics chips.... is that something anyone should want? Even the most fervent console zealot imaginable must realize the longterm impact on AMD if suddenly no PC gamers would exist anymore to buy their high end consumer CPUs, or Nvidia trying to sell its 3080Ti Superduper to Excel wielding accountants. I know these companies have other avenues and motivations for innovating, cars are a big thing for Nvidia for example, but gaming has specific requirements that need to be catered to. Doubtful Zen 2 would be this good without AMD trying to match Intel's performance in games specifically. So even if you truly, deeply hate everything PC it'd be in your best interest that we stay around and keep paying stupid money for new tech. Other way around too obviously, both markets complement each other nicely.

The question of consoles surpassing PCS keeps coming back.

That's a very different question compared to 'Can PS5 kill the pc gaming industry?" though.

With all the new tech about to be made mainstream (SSDs, hardware raytracing, strong CPUs,etc)

SSDs aren't new tech, not even NVMes, they've been mainstream on PC for easily half a decade now, Windows 10 doesn't even run right if installed on an HDD and lots of people have them. Same for strong CPUs, sure the new stuff is great but a good Intel processor from a few years ago will be able to keep up for sure. Graphics cards are imo really the only component where the mainstream might be forced to upgrade to keep up with new consoles and even there folks could be in for a rude awakening, who knows, like maybe the raytracing implementation turns out to be very basic, inefficient and quickly outdated. Same goes for that superfast storage, who knows how much of that we'll actually get and how it'll work exactly.

In two years, every pc might need an nvme pcie4 to play modern games.

So PCIE3 SSDs will become insufficent for playing games by 2021 because they can only deliver 3,5GB/s instead of 4,5GB/s? No, I don't buy that nextgen will get magical drives that'll max out PCIE4 or that games in development now will not only make use but require that additional speed. I know, new gen, time for pie in the sky dreams and buzzwords while ignoring the realities of tech, game development and cost, but some reason should always be applied.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
How a system made out of PC parts and likely intended to be sold for profit will kill PC gaming?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (A day): Inappropriate off-topic commentary.
omg, my mom just came into my room - apparently she was doing the laundry and found my anal beads. ndnsnsnfndndno

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
A more realistic take is mobile will kill pc and console though very far in the future.

Like a hundred years from now.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yes.
If it can run Windows, Steam/Epic library, homebrews and can be upgraded with PC parts which would somehow be much cheaper for some reason, I can see the PS5 giving gaming PCs a hard time.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond a certain price value is less of an attractor than it would be otherwise. PCs are the only (ONLY) hardware that can run things at 1440p and 144Hz and there will always be a sizable amount of consumers who want that. Even at a price like 1500 for a gaming PC you are versus, say, 400 for a console, you are comparing apples and oranges since they do different things for different consumers. Not to mention that price is hardly prohibitive for most average working adults, especially over a 5+ year lifespan.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet this thread is gonna go over well.

My two cents, I bet a bunch of people will see the appeal of a 500€ 10tf machine without hassle and get one until PC parts become cheaper in a way that you can outperform consoles cheaply. Current gen has really skewed views since it was outdated tech out of the gate but ryzen 2 and rdna 2 are much stronger than AMDs 2012 production line. So yeah, I bet people won't be able to max out next gen exclusive games easily. (But cross gen titles will make the transition for mid range pc gamers easier. In two years, every pc might need an nvme pcie4 to play modern games.)

I think pc will easily max out next gen because by the time next gen gets into stride, consoles will already be in terms of power a distant memory.

That's just the nature of how it goes each gen. That's not to say ps5 won't look good, it's just pc can to a extent use money to push even further.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
im surpised no one said posted about South Korea and China. Consoles have NO CHANCE in getting marketshare in Korea. And China has 1.4 Billion people PC gaming is gonna take of that country since China has no intrest in consoles. China ALONE will keep PC gaming strong for decades.