• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
When he first came on the scene, he was "edgy" for having jokes about terrorism and stuff. Everyone loved Jeff Dunham because he was an extremely prominent comedian who was making a taking things people were afraid of and making them fun..

Odd I remember him way before the terrorism stuff when I was younger. All he had was Peanut and the Jalapeno, he really milked the "On a stick" part.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I checked out the Netflix special out of morbid curiosity and saw he hasn't changed the act one bit. I'm not surprised people still find him funny, but amazed that Netflix produced something like that in 2017.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Odd I remember him way before the terrorism stuff when I was younger. All he had was Peanut and the Jalapeno, he really milked the "On a stick" part.

I guess one's relationship with Jeff Dunham can be categorized as being initiated Before the Terrorist Doll and After the Terrorist Doll.

In New England, Jeff Dunham was a "new comedian" to people in 2007. Nobody had ever heard of him until then. This was the character that catapulted him to widespread attention, as far as I'm aware.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to be in the minority here. I think he's hilarious. His Walter character being the best of the bunch IMO.

Sure, some of his material is a bit racist. But I don't read too much into it when it's coming from a puppet. If he holds those beliefs in real life, he'd be my milkshake duck. However I haven't heard that that is the case, so for now I enjoy watching him.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to be in the minority here. I think he's hilarious. His Walter character being the best of the bunch IMO.

Sure, some of his material is a bit racist. But I don't read too much into it when it's coming from a puppet. If he holds those beliefs in real life, he'd be my milkshake duck. However I haven't heard that that is the case, so for now I enjoy watching him.

Seems he is conservative at a minimum and likely does share some of those views.

https://hollowverse.com/jeff-dunham/

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people still think racist and sexist jokes are really funny.

He sucks BTW.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a racist and uses puppets.

People like racists and puppets.

Hell, there's a racist puppet in the White House right now.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Puppets aren't funny, ergo, he isn't funny.

Some of them can be funny...

mst3k-netflix-e1-opening.gif

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017

I never knew he was this hated. Whenever I've seen him on TV (which isn't often), I've chuckled here and there but I don't go out of my way to watch him. Normally somebody else is watching and I'm in the room. Now that I think about it, given the subject matter in today's world, I can see how everybody would be offended. I see them as just puppets, myself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like he didn't have the guts to state his opinions openly so he had his puppets do it instead.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew he was this hated. Whenever I've seen him on TV (which isn't often), I've chuckled here and there but I don't go out of my way to watch him. Normally somebody else is watching and I'm in the room. Now that I think about it, given the subject matter in today's world, I can see how everybody would be offended. I see them as just puppets, myself.

You know it's a dude doing the voices for them right? They aren't actually talking puppets.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's a skilled ventriloquist no doubt, but his humor is low brow and mainly just about making people feel ok about laughing at stereotypes. And not in the Chappelle way.

I used to think he was funny when he like first premiered and I was like 14, but quickly realize he was pretty shit.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it once.

I laughed a few times at the skits with the old man puppet.

Rest was cringeworthy. The terrorist puppet and that stupid purple thing being the worst.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's a dude doing the voices for them right? They aren't actually talking puppets.
Yes, I understand that. And I don't think he's funny enough for me to go out of my way for. If we're going to talk about puppets and comedy, I think Crank Yankers is much funnier than him.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually seen one of his acts (maybe a clip or two but I don't remember) but the whole south park defense of "Oh he makes fun of everyone equally" doesn't hold much weight if he makes fun of everyone except people like him.
Basically the argument the site makes.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's actually just about the worst type of comedy a privileged person can come up with. Just punching down on people who are different than you, yikes.
Pretty gross that's for sure, especially using puppets to try and mask it. Though as this topic shows, that actually works for some people. :Barf:

Is he really great and I just don't get it or are my roommates crazy? They watched his new Netflix special unironically and I felt like I was going nuts.

I was under the impression he was trash and that was the popular opinion. Me and my girlfriend both agreed, but clearly at least some people like it. What's the deal here? It comes off as casual racism and bad ventriloquism to me.
He gets away with it because of the puppet. And frankly it works. Sometimes.
Here in the NL he has been quite popular for a few years but i think he hit the sack as soon as he got divorced of his wife.
And yeah, its essentially still the same show with same puppets. Just different ''jokes''. His early stuff is easily the best since it was from an era people tried to lift the air regarding terrorism, fighting it with jokes and such.

In this new wave poor mans terrorism era however, those jokes really dont fly anymore (Which is a terrible pun, i know.).

He's a racist Islamophobe who caters to the lowest common denominator.
Oh wow, well there you have it. I guess i am the lowest common denominator then.
Then again i also found the Dutch version of Who's Line Is It Anyway called The Lamas magical stuff. Its just Monty Pythonesque really.
Dunham? Well, between two shows he has aged insanely. Like, his first few shows there was this slightly dorky, but cool looking guy up the stage.
Later stuff? He is just almost like Walter in that regard. Shocking.

I enjoyed him when he first came out, but he's literally been doing the exact same thing for like 10+ years. Also, the terrorist skeleton is a bit..um...racist.
I think that really nails the big issue here, honestly. Its just the same kind of show. Honestly Peanut is just boring to me now.
However i still recal Walter's joke on Priuses.

Not to mention the racist chili pepper.
Si senor. I felt that was a great character. You saw tons of black folks being in stitches about him so yeah...

I never got it.

When he first started showing up on Comedy Central I was like "Jesus Christ, talk about bad."

Then he blew up and kept going. That dude is whack as fuck.

There's this comedienne who has a special on Netflix named Iliza who reminds me of how I feel about Dunham. As in, holy shit this is some of the most cringe worthy shit I've ever seen, but then There's a huge audience of like 5 thousand people who are laughing so hard they're pissing themselves after every sentence.

I think people are just morons and they like terrible, corny shit.
Or people have different tastes, who knows. Although i agree Dunham is really catering on the easily made and one shot humor. Then i prefer Gilbert Gottfried or Norm Macdonald.

No. Muppets are the worst.

Though as this topic shows, that actually works for some people. :Barf:
Oh please. Just because some people are even mildly entertained by a foolish ventriloquist should not be a reason to condemn people who find him mildly entertaining.

EDIT: Here lay the ruins of a potentially provocative sentence that did nothing but to ruse people. It is deleted and sentenced to the graveyard where much of Jeff's puppets keep it company.

Didnt find him particularly funny.
The only one i could dig was Walter honestly, but that's just because it was so stereotypical.

"BLACK PEOPLE LOVED HIM THOUGH!"

I want to karate chop their face like Ms.Piggy now. Hatin' on Muppets.
Ayup. Just pointing out that segments of that were shown, nothing else.

Last edited:
Sorry, but any argument for shock value kind of makes all argument worthless.
Ah i see. So saying someone is funny because the jokes ridicule the stereotypical settings in which these take place is worthless. I see.

So what is the point of this thread then. Anyone finding his ''content'' even a little bit interesting or entertaining needs to be called out? I hope not.

Because you know, you can like some of his jokes, and find others offensive. I did atleast.

But yeah, dont find the Muppets that funny. Sue me. ;)
You made a post defending his material to trigger me? Why?
Because given your initial response, i figured you would make a remark like that.

And you did.

"FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES BRO!"
You do know that this is like 4 posts in rapid succession that you are referring to me, right? If you want to profess your love you can always do so in a PM. I dont bite. ;)

(Even though i dont like the Muppets, i like the Miss Squeaky.)

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah i see. So saying someone is funny because the jokes ridicule the stereotypical settings in which these take place is worthless. I see.

So what is the point of this thread then. Anyone finding his ''content'' even a little bit interesting or entertaining needs to be called out? I hope not.

Because you know, you can like some of his jokes, and find others offensive. I did atleast.

But yeah, dont find the Muppets that funny. Sue me. ;)

Because given your initial response, i figured you would make a remark like that.

And you did.

Okay, I may be being a bit of an asshole here. I mean we all like what we like and whatever, and there's various thing problematic in most things probably we all like.

It's really you baiting people to react how you want that puts me off, but eh. You're right about this thread shouldn't become dogpiling on those that have differing thoughts.

Well now you've triggered me to contact a mod, so well done.
That seems a bit over-the-top, but okay.

Just saying that your post wasnt helping much either.

(And aside that, i actually like you as a poster from the other side).

Lets carry on, shall we?

Okay, I may be being a bit of an asshole here. I mean we all like what we like and whatever, and there's various thing problematic in most things probably we all like.

It's really you baiting people to react how you want that puts me off, but eh. You're right about this thread shouldn't become dogpiling on those that have differing thoughts.
Well i wasnt really trying to bait people, i just found EBF's initial comment about lowest common denominator's a bit rude. Especially when it was just putting two quotes side to side.

For the rest i agree.

For whatever its worth, i apologize. Didnt want to come across as a dick.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Dunham is the pinnacle of shitty 2000s 'comedians' that got big on a lame gimmick.