• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Figured this could warrant it's own topic, especially with the Pokemon Pass event starting today, and REQUIRING you to use your Trainer Club account, which REALLY sucks. This is pretty messy, so I'm trying to understand this all... (I haven't even had a chance to connect Go with Switch for the whole Meltan deal, so I'm not even sure with that. )

Right now, we have the following accounts for Pokemon:
Nintendo ID/Nintendo accounts (I think there's still 2 separatish ones?)
Pokemon Go Google sign in
Pokemon Go via Trainer Club sign in
Trainer Club account (for Poke Pass)
Pokemon Facebook.... linking the 2?

So, I went to sign in to Pokemon Pass... ok, I need a Trainer Club account. I thought I have one under my Google account email I use for Go. Apparently not? Ok, I made one under that email... So apparently they CAN link. But wait, when I go to my Pokemon Go account, Google is linked, but ONLY Facebook is linkable?? Do you really need a FB account to even link the 2? I reallllly don't like linking stuff to FB in general, especially since there seems to be no purpose for it, and it's just looking messy with only utilizing FB as some sort of connection hub. Is using FB the ONLY way to connect my original Google Go account to the new Trainer Club I made?

In the end, I'm not sure if you even need to connect all this for Pokemon Pass QR codes, specifically. But it's just all confusing with how this all fits in. I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm... The Pokémon Company and Nintendo are two separate companies. Also are TPC and Niantic.

For Pokémon GO you need either a PTC account or a Google account. Signing up for a Google account doesn't automatically create a PTC account.

NNID: For 3DS/WiiU
Nintendo Accounts: For Switch and Nintendo mobile titles
PTC: For Pokémon Global Link and Pokémon mobile titles
Google: alternative way to login to GO, and separately to Nintendo Accounts
Facebook: alternative way to login with GO, and separately to Nintendo Accounts

You can use Google to sign in to GO, but not to sign in to your PTC account as those are never linked.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Uhm... The Pokémon Company and Nintendo are two separate companies. Also are TPC and Niantic.

For Pokémon GO you need either a PTC account or a Google account. Signing up for a Google account doesn't automatically create a PTC account.

Yes, I realize that, but linking involves both, and a bunch of accounts. Looks like connecting Pokemon Let's Go to Pokemon Go just involves WiFi though? For Trainer Club, I had an old account at one point duing BW era that had stuff you can unlock on the site to transfer over to 3DS, so I thought I had that already. I think they have since changed it, but I know it's separate from Google.

I just wanted to see if you can: connect my original Google Pokemon Go account to the new Trainer Club account I made (specifically for PokePass), just to help streamline the accounts, but without having to connect to Facebook as well.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I realize that, but linking involves both, and a bunch of accounts. Looks like connecting Pokemon Let's Go to Pokemon Go just involves WiFi though? For Trainer Club, I had an old account at one point duing BW era that had stuff you can unlock on the site to transfer over to 3DS, so I thought I had that already. I know it's separate from Google.

I just wanted to see if you can: connect my original Google Pokemon Go account to the new Trainer Club account I made (specifically for PokePass), just to help streamline the accounts, but without having to connect to Facebook as well.
I just updated my post with more details, but basically you cannot link your PTC account witb your Google account. Pokémon does not support that.

However, Niantic supports linking your Google and Facebook account with your hidden GO account. That doesn't modify anything related to PTC or create a link, as Niantic have no control over it.

It's like saying I used Facebook to sign in to Pizza Hut website. Then I also used Twitter and so I can sign in with either. Then I tried using Twitter to logging in to Facebook, obviously that's not possible as Twitter has no control over Facebook logins.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I just updated my post with more details, but basically you cannot link your PTC account witb your Google account. Pokémon does not support that.

However, Niantic supports linking your Google and Facebook account with your hidden GO account. That doesn't modify anything related to PTC or create a link, as Niantic have no control over it.

It's like saying I used Facebook to sign in to Pizza Hut website. Then I also used Twitter and so I can sign in with either. Then I tried using Twitter to logging in to Facebook, obviously that's not possible as Twitter has no control over Facebook logins.

The above edit definitely helped put things into perspective. The bolded above was what confused me the most, as I thought it could be a way to help connect and modify.

It turns out that Pokemon Global Link was what I had an account for, but neither of my emails now work for it (I guess they changed something with it in the past). I remember being able to log in to it, and also accessing the main Pokemon site with the login, which was why I thought I had an account still.

In the end, I guess I'll just use this new, unlinked Trainer Club account, just to access Pass. Was hoping to use something already existing, but I guess it's not possible.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Is there a way to do the Pokemon Pass stuff without Pokemon GO? After they wiped my progress due to inactivity, I can't be arsed to boot it up again.