• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
In an odd turn of the tables, First party support for the Nintendo DS is often met with mixed/mediocre reception from fans. Most would say Nintendo's output on the DS wasn't up to the company's usual high standards, containing relatively weak entries in Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Fire Emblem and Star Fox series. The general consensus is that 3rd parties regularly outdid Nintendo's own efforts on the DS, at least in terms of critical reception. Nintendo handhelds are no stranger to strong third party support, but it's very rare for a Nintendo console to have better third party support than first party support.

In the case of established franchises, I can see where they were coming from. Super Mario 64 DS was a neat tech demo, but held back by the lack of an analog stick. Not everyone was in love with the touch based Zelda games, and Metroid Prime Hunters was a great shooter, but far from a Metroid game.

However, the Nintendo DS also birthed what I consider to be Nintendo's best new IP output since the NES. DS was where Nintendo started doing things they'd never really done before, haven't done in years, and arguably, haven't done since. Of course we can start with the Touch Generations line, spawning non-game hits like Nintendogs and Brain Age. But there's also weirder stuff like Elite Beat Agents, Big Brain Academy, Electroplankton, Rhythm Heaven, Trace Memory, or Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

That's not even getting into their Japan only games. Like Daigasso! Band Brothers, the Tingle games, Chōsōjū Mecha MG, Jet Impulse, etc. They co-produced two Shonen Jump fighting games. Even some of the established franchises were taken in weird directions. Kirby Canvas Curse was one of the earliest showcases of the DS' touch screen, Wario Ware D.I.Y. put the Microgame creation into the player's hands. Mario Kart DS marked Nintendo's very first foray into the brave new world of online multiplayer, Advance Wars took a darker turn with Days of Ruin, and the aforementioned Metroid Prime Hunters turned Metroid into a DS equivalent of a portable Quake III.

So while not Nintendo's best first party showing, I consider the DS to be Nintendo at it's most interesting and experimental. I'm hoping Nintendo employs a similar and better level of experimentation on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
It goes hand in hand with Wii - the entire ecosystem wasn't in Nintendo's usual space and the DS and Wii both had a lot of ideas that were new, fresh, or just weird in general. Personally, I loved the era and the DS usually has more of the good stuff but the Wii has a lot of great first and third party titles which are ignored sadly - this mentality carried forward on Wii U but didn't on 3DS, there was a obvious push for a more standard game machine than touch controls and use of two displays.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a few series like Kirby and Pokémon, first-party support on DS was definitely weak, and it has become more apparent since the 3DS launched. The 3DS is easily the best Nintendo handheld in that regard, in my opinion.

I do agree their output was more experimental on the DS. This holds true for third-parties as well. The DS was game-changing in a lot of ways. It was touch screen gaming before the modern smartphone, it had built-in wifi years before Wii/PS3/360. It was like a new playground for developers that inspired new ideas. The same can't really be said for the 3DS, at least to the same extent.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think it was more a matter of the touchscreen being a game changer at the time and allowing them to do stuff out of their purview. nintendo never particularly colors inside the lines, it was just more pronounced in that era

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Europe got Band Brothers (Jam with the Band) and the first Tingle btw. And Rhythm Tengoku is technically started life as a GBA game (though very late and during the DS' life). Also at the time they had the Bit Generation games on GBA (such would later be resurrected on the DSi's eShop), which are also really experimental. Sound Voyager, a game designed to be played only by listening is still one of their more interesting games.

That era was when the Nintendo stereotype shifted to being about innovation and gimmicks so even at the end their more experimental take on gaming was being noticed. I don't think anyone would have a problem with it being recognised as such.

Oct 30, 2017
It made me realise I prefer traditional games in the long run. You don't see me craving for a Nintendogs or Wii Fit sequel.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer how they took advantage of the unique capabilities of the DS in its Zelda games moreso than what they did with the Wii's.

Oct 27, 2017
I love the DS era because of a few reasons :
- Experimentation of new ways of playing. It was often met with a lot of criticism though (I remember the shitstorm a decade ago "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T CONTROL LINK WITH BUTTONS ? WORST GAME EVER" - it was a really good Zelda game BTW).
- Those new ways of playing also added some things to the whole experience. I remember having our minds blown over Phoenix Wright's fifth case use of the console (dust printing, analyzing evidence, etc). And of course the dual screen allowed for a lot of things mechanically and story wise.
- Good third party support.
- A LOT of games. Seriously.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo always made some strange, experimental hardware... Famicom Disk System, R.O.B., Game Boy Camera, and e-Reader come to mind.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I think it's one of their smartest experimental moves at the very least.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamecube is easily the most experimental from them.

Mario Sunshine
Zelda: Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin

The list goes on.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made a game called Brain Training and marketed it like something incredible so I'd say yes, I also remember it being innovative for it's time.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
As someone that likes the DS/3DS more for it's third party games (Mostly JRPGs, mostly Atlus haha), i couldn't care less for their weak first party output.

DS also had 3 great Igavanias, and a ton of unique games. Even today people don't shut up about Ghost Trick, for example. I really need to play it someday, so i can join them.

I really like New Super Mario Bros and Pokémon Black/White tho, if anything.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DS + 3DS are my most favorite pure handhelds with psp and the vita behind em.

The game library of ds and 3ds is insanely good no matter when you hop in those games will be timeless, even still play some ds games. on my 3ds or phone on a emulator and it's amazing how well they held up.

One of my most favorites was Metroid Prime Hunters (wich i finally found btw! Lost it but it was in one of the livin room drawers) the multiplayer was awesome played that with friends alot in childhood and it's even fun to play with bots. Also enjoyed the single player dispite the repetive nature of it.

Zelda Spirit Tracks was also quite amazing and i enjoyed Nintendogs and Mario 64.

Overall it was such a good machine the phat model was ugly af but the dsi and lite are awesome. But now i just use my faceplate new 3ds :P or mobile phone.

It's insane to think it nearly outsold the ps2.
It was a damn succesfull machine wii+ds surely must be nintendo's golden age with 250m combined hardware sales + lots of software.

It's a shame the clamshell + dual screen design is at it's end i loved it, i also don't get the 3ds hate lately.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It goes hand in hand with Wii - the entire ecosystem wasn't in Nintendo's usual space and the DS and Wii both had a lot of ideas that were new, fresh, or just weird in general. Personally, I loved the era and the DS usually has more of the good stuff but the Wii has a lot of great first and third party titles which are ignored sadly
This, I couldn't agree more.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Their output (and some third party's productions) in the DS era are among their most influential games to date. A lot of those gameplay experiences are the foundations to A LOT of mobile games heavily focused on touch controls.

Hell, the minigames included in Super Mario 64 DS had a bigger legacy than some Zelda games. :D

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It goes hand in hand with Wii - the entire ecosystem wasn't in Nintendo's usual space and the DS and Wii both had a lot of ideas that were new, fresh, or just weird in general. Personally, I loved the era and the DS usually has more of the good stuff but the Wii has a lot of great first and third party titles which are ignored sadly - this mentality carried forward on Wii U but didn't on 3DS, there was a obvious push for a more standard game machine than touch controls and use of two displays.

Yep. Eras don't exist in a vacuum tied to a specific generation. DS and Wii were part of the same era and I agree with everything in this post about it.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
In many ways DS was the precursor of smartphone today, and still it had much more clever and fun casual games. (Brain Age was such a big hit)

I remember they hyped a lot Nintendo's Wifi Connection (their first true online service) especially for Mario Kart and Tony Hawk.

My bad that i've never bought one because it wasn't as portable as my GBA SP.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games and novel methods of interaction felt so fresh and new after how staid everything had become in that era, initial hardware however was so bad that it kept me well away until the DSL was released. When it was good it was spectacular and that goes for a lot of devs that used the hardware well instead of just shoehorning in touch screen but overall it did change the game.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
NES is up there.

Dpad, Super Mario, light gun, those pads to run on, the power glove, funky ass robot thing, etc.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Nintendo is always experimenting. The big difference with the DS is how Nintendo's experimenting and innovation found worldwide success in an established market.

NES had a million peripherals that were ultimately useless. It was introduced in the US as much more than a gaming console. In the end, it was all about the gaming console.
SNES had the Satellaview, but it was limited to Japan.
N64 was groundbreaking, but its commercial success was far less than its influence on gaming.
GameCube was a paradox for Nintendo. They had an up-to-snuff console with power to compete with its rivals, and yet Nintendo didn't know what to do with that. Their biggest franchises greatly disappointed on the GC (Metroid and F-Zero weren't developed in-house). GC era is where Nintendo started working a lot on smaller, different, original concepts. Pikmin. Doshin the Giant. Animal Crossing. Luigi's Mansion. Also Wario Ware on the GBA. This is when Nintendo started to abandon the tech specs race and focus on ideas. And that's the philosophy they went full-on with the DS.

And yet, for all its originality, the DS initially seemed to be another "what should we do with this?" machine (third pillar, right?). Mario 64 DS was pointless. The first Castlevania had touchscreen functionality shoehorned in as the most useless and annoying gimmick. Meanwhile, a lot of people were ignoring Yoshi Touch & Go as a little timewaster that today would be a mobile game. Little did we know that that's the kind of portable software that would conquer the masses a couple years later. Yet as experimental as Nintendo was back then, they didn't try experimenting with the price of software. Those little games were full price, and this ultimately led to the massive piracy that plagued the DS. But they were what would make the DS so special. Because the DS (like the Wii later on) also made it very clear that gamers don't like it when someone messes with their traditional controls and experiences. The DS Zelda games are still hated for the touchscreen controls and puzzles like "close the DS to impress the map on the lower screen" (there's another active thread today that's about stuff like that). It's the franchises that were tailored to the machine's strengths that were the most successful, and the most fondly remembered. Phoenix Wright, Ouendan/EBA, Brain Training, Nintendogs, TWEWY, Hotel Dusk, Rhythm Heaven.

So I'd say the DS was the era when Nintendo's experimenting found commercial success and widespread appraisal. I'm not sure about it being the most experimental, because many of the ideas Nintendo themselves brought to the DS were probably already in their mind in the Game & Watch era, and Nintendo always did a lot of extremely experimental stuff that didn't leave a mark in history because of little success. I mean, the concept behind the Famicom Disk System was revolutionary, but the machine was short-lived for technical and economical reasons and never left Japan.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
GameCube was a paradox for Nintendo. They had an up-to-snuff console with power to compete with its rivals, and yet Nintendo didn't know what to do with that. Their biggest franchises greatly disappointed on the GC (Metroid and F-Zero weren't developed in-house). GC era is where Nintendo started working a lot on smaller, different, original concepts. Pikmin. Doshin the Giant. Animal Crossing. Luigi's Mansion. Also Wario Ware on the GBA. This is when Nintendo started to abandon the tech specs race and focus on ideas. And that's the philosophy they went full-on with the DS.

It's interesting the GBA and GameCube were the precursor to what Nintendo would do in the following generation.