• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will videogames push the boundaries of reality?

• Yes

Votes: 62 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 206 70.3%
  • With VR, yes.

Votes: 25 8.5%

• Total voters

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
They aren't exactly using the best camera in the left video and it's still picking up details that are absent in the game.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck does "surpassing real life" mean? Real life is the highest standard. You cant get better than that. I don't get it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
think that thanks to videogames rendering all on real time, they can look even better than real life. What do you think?
Can they look fake and unnatural and include detail you couldn't possibly make out in real life? Sure. I wouldn't call that "better" than real life, though.

Even in your example look at the lighting. You can see more of the track in the game but that's because the lighting is unrealistic and stuff doesn't get swallowed up by shadows like it does in real life.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I still think I'm confused as to what you're saying. I think I'm sympathetic to the idea that art can get us a more "pure" or "sublime" experience of reality than just living our daily lives, but the fact is that the fidelity of that won't be greater than what we can, as humans, strictly experience. So I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to figure out what your point is.

OP and many posters are equivocating between two meanings of better: artistically better, like you're saying (mystical/direct artistic experience, aesthetically superior) and better in terms of fidelity, which is a contradiction. Something simulated cannot, strictly speaking, be more accurate than the thing it's simulating.

I think i will start to bore people ;) my limited english and quite personal feeling make the exercise difficult, because it has indeed multiple points.

I think i'll just spoiler it just for you, don't worry, i never took you for a jerk, trying to understand another's point makes you the opposite
Preamble: To me, the reality is not just what our senses show us, we evolved in order to cope with our immediate challenges. our brain is hard cabled for a 3 dimensional mental representations (even 2D we see as floating in space), our colors perception ability is tuned to our primordial needs, hearing ability as well...

The usual thing to do is to replicate what our experience of senses show us of the world, 3 dimensions, the colors we can see, the sounds we can hear... and in that, nah games cannot be better (we lack too many physics simulation to properly recreate that, even if we can cheat and get close).

There are elements of reality we cannot perceive because they are at the border of physicality, the smallest unit of length that remains physical is the plank length. When we want to know the maximum entropy of a black hole for example, we cut the surface of its event horizon into a grid of step 1 plank length and say 1 square is 1 bit of information (we cannot go beyond that) sum em all up, that's the maximum entropy of the black hole. Anyway, we cannot see the plank length, we cannot see a line of length one plank length because we would think we can cut it in half... but we could have a game showing us that and what can happen around there... well an artistic depiction of it, and play there, even go beyond this wall of minimal length for some big secret..

And finally there are elements of reality we cannot perceive because we are not meant to experience them... in plenty of theories our reality (or bubble) has more than 3 dimensions + time, we are not made to be able to perceive the extra dimensions. We think it's because they are tiny looping dimensions, as if each of our dimension were a bit like a straight cable, our big sense says "it's a line", but an ant can circle around the cable.. the ant experiences and sees 2 dimensions instead of one for the cable.
An artist could perhaps make something that make us feel these extra dimensions, by clever projection, i don't know how, never been done, but i have faith in artists. It would make us closer to what the reality is... even if it is far from what we visualize and an overstatement of the effects .

That's why i like so much this little animated movie ... :

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I think i will start to bore people ;) my limited english and quite personal feeling make the exercise difficult, because it has indeed multiple points.

I think i'll just spoiler it just for you, don't worry, i never took you for a jerk, trying to understand another's point makes you the opposite
Preamble: To me, the reality is not just what our senses show us, we evolved in order to cope with our immediate challenges. our brain is hard cabled for a 3 dimensional mental representations (even 2D we see as floating in space), our colors perception ability is tuned to our primordial needs, hearing ability as well...

The usual thing to do is to replicate what our experience of senses show us of the world, 3 dimensions, the colors we can see, the sounds we can hear... and in that, nah games cannot be better (we lack too many physics simulation to properly recreate that, even if we can cheat and get close).

There are elements of reality we cannot perceive because they are at the border of physicality, the smallest unit of length that remains physical is the plank length. When we want to know the maximum entropy of a black hole for example, we cut the surface of its event horizon into a grid of step 1 plank length and say 1 square is 1 bit of information (we cannot go beyond that) sum em all up, that's the maximum entropy of the black hole. Anyway, we cannot see the plank length, we cannot see a line of length one plank length because we would think we can cut it in half... but we could have a game showing us that and what can happen around there... well an artistic depiction of it, and play there, even go beyond this wall of minimal length for some big secret..

And finally there are elements of reality we cannot perceive because we are not meant to experience them... in plenty of theories our reality (or bubble) has more than 3 dimensions + time, we are not made to be able to perceive the extra dimensions. We think it's because they are tiny looping dimensions, as if each of our dimension were a bit like a straight cable, our big sense says "it's a line", but an ant can circle around the cable.. the ant experiences and sees 2 dimensions instead of one for the cable.
An artist could perhaps make something that make us feel these extra dimensions, by clever projection, i don't know how, never been done, but i have faith in artists. It would make us closer to what the reality is... even if it is far from what we visualize and an overstatement of the effects .

That's why i like so much this little animated movie ... :

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it. I agree with your main point that human perception is very limited in comparison to what's actually out there, for sure, and that art can give us the feeling of accessing it. And your writing is fine, don't worry about it!

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
The better question can video games graphics match real life?
Probably not for human characters, but for some objects like cars they're getting closer and closer every gen:

dzjwohewkaabfu485jft.jpg

toyotamr2gt-s7sjln.jpg

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
One day, just a few generations from now, videogames will be able to render scenes that visually mimic real footage.

With that kind of rendering power, artists will immediately use it to showcase scenes that "surpass real life" with countless types of fantastical or complex visual elements.

Tech moves fast, and even though consoles will never be abble to match rendering power of offline servers, some 30-50TF will be more than enough to provide devs with a good platform for building games that come close to rendering "lifelike" visuals for some types of scenes.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
On a limited scope and scale, I'm sure it'd be possible in the future to surpass action films of today. So yes, but just don't expect it to happen anytime soon. Surpassing real life... don't see that happening.