• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Season 4 or 5 for me.

My two favorite episodes of all time are a tie between Homer the Heretic or Homer at the Bat, which is actually on season 3

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Season 7 personally, but Season 6 is probably the stronger year as a whole.

It's crazy to think about how people on Usenet and stuff were talking about what a decline Seasons 6 and 7 were. I get it if they were still looking at it through the lens of Seasons 2 or 3, how wacky it got. But to say it was a step down from 4 or 5 is weird.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Season 6 is great, but I will side with everyone saying Season 7 is better.

-Second half of Who Shot Mr. Burns that's just as hilarious as the first
-One of the GOAT Treehouse episodes (including the segment that easily matches the Shinning in terms of being memorable)
-Planet of the Apes Musical (within a fantastic episode of its own)
-Bart's Soul (POGS!)
-Mother Simpson and all the feels
-Bart shoplifting
-Lisa goes vegetarian (one of the best long term changes in the show that actually stuck)
-The one good clipshow episode
-Fat homer
-George Bush
-The truth about Jebediah Springfield
-Steamed Hams (also a good episode in general)
-The Dud (and a general great summer episode in general)
-Liver and Onions *slurps* (one of the best Itchy and Scratchy focused episodes)
-Bart's road trip
-The first episode to genuinely do something good with Apu

At its worst, season 7 has a couple episodes that are merely less good than the absolute highs of the rest of the season, while season 6 does have some stinkers like Round Springfield

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time, my answer was always season 5. 6 has maybe slipped ahead of it now in my rankings, but man...

- One of the best Lisa episodes (Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy)
- My favorite Burns episode (Burns' Heir)
- My favorite "there's domestic problems at home" episode (The Last Temptation of Homer)
- Motherfuckin' last-request HMS Pinafore (Cape Feare)
- "I CALL HIM GAMBLOR! AND IT'S TIME TO SNATCH YOUR MOTHER FROM HIS NEON CLAWS!" ($pringfield)
- "Oh Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes."/"Touche." (Homer the Vigilante)
- My favorite gag in the whole series: the peanut factory supervisor in "Bart Gets an Elephant"

Just utterly absurd quality from start to finish.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
You can make a good case but I still think season 4 or 5 have the strongest lineups

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I'd agree. First 10 seasons of Simpsons is classic. Season 4-6 are the best IMO. Anything after season 10 is trash.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I prefer Season 7 personally, but Season 6 is probably the stronger year as a whole.

It's crazy to think about how people on Usenet and stuff were talking about what a decline Seasons 6 and 7 were. I get it if they were still looking at it through the lens of Seasons 2 or 3, how wacky it got. But to say it was a step down from 4 or 5 is weird.
We had a skewed perspective back then based on a limited frame of reference. The back-half of Season 4 (post-clip show) and the early episodes of Season 5 were dragged through the mud quite a bit as well right after they aired.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes, yes it is.

As a side note I watched an episode from season 30 (the newest episode I've ever watched is in season 14) and I felt so out of place, between the animation and the way the characters interact.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Either 4, 5, or 6. I remember thinking at the time that 7 seemed a bit "off", or at least had a tone that I didn't care for, and it only got worse over time.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Seasons 3-8 are unequivocally the golden age of the Simpsons and any of those seasons could reasonably be considered the GOAT.

Would be more curious to know what the community feels was the strongest showrunner run from the big three:

-Jean and Reiss (seasons 3-4)
-Mirkin (seasons 5-6)
-Oakley and Weinstein (seasons 7-8)

I think I'd have to give it to the Oakley and Weinstein seasons (just narrowly).

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Seasons 3-8 are unequivocally the golden age of the Simpsons and any of those seasons could reasonably be considered the GOAT.

Would be more curious to know what the community feels was the strongest showrunner run from the big three:

-Mirkin (seasons 5-6)

I think I'd have to give it to the Oakley and Weinstein seasons (just narrowly).
I'm a big fan of Mirkin, but that's possibly cos he's on a lot of the DVD commentaries.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

-Mirkin (seasons 5-6)

It's funny... I have Season 6 as my all-time fave but I never seem to give Mirkin credit for how well it turned out. Last time I did showrunner regimes I had him ranked 5th... behind Oakley/Weinstein (7-8), Jean/Reiss (3-4), Selman (23+) and Groening/Brooks/Simon (1-2).

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

-Mirkin (seasons 5-6)

Oakley and Weinstein for me. I love the Mirkin era for sure and will obviously respect Jean and Reiss as a duo (solo Jean has burned me something fierce), but Season 7 is dang near perfect and season 8 is good despite all the issues it faced.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I hear the newest season (30?) is actually good. Can anyone confirm?
There are good episodes to be found in every season... and I will always recommend people make the effort to watch recommended episodes from a curated list piecemeal if they're curious about the show instead of jumping in on a random season number and watching everything.

Not to mention most of the HD era season premieres have been garbage with few exceptions.

The one nice thing about Season 31 is that Al Jean has ceded even more of his showrunner load to Matt Selman so there's been a natural quality uptick stemming from that.

Disney+ only goes up to Season 30, however. You'll have to wait a bit for Season 31 to be added there.