• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
As someone from WA, I *actively* fear driving in California. I can't believe how fast people drive over the speed limit when I've been down there, you guys are cray cray. Just trying to keep up with traffic feels like I'm going to be both run over by others and pulled over by the cops at the same time.

This is really only because people in WA drive routinely under the speed limit.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I just today heard that my friend of 23 years of age had died in a car crash in a place called Beavercreek, Ohio.
The driver of 53 was driving on the wrong side of the road

Needless to say I am devasted, shocked, angry and do not know what to do after the loss of a friend dear to me. This carelessness has to stop and we need to be better on the road.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Terribly sorry for your loss Lukemia SL, absolutely terrible.

I came in to say it's clear it is far too easy to get access to a driver's license. The test should be able to eliminate the pure incompetence most people exhibit.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I have driven in nearly every state in the US and California isn't even in the top 10 of worst drivers. The worst would be:
1. Florida
2. Ohio
3. Illinois

Coincidentally, I found Boston to have the best drivers, on the condition that you follow the mutual understanding to always drive 25 over the speed limit and drive aggressively.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tourists are the worst drivers on the planet. Even worse than the elderly. Anywhere with tourists is a bad place to drive.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
Consistently, driving in Quebec has been fucking awful.

But the worst driving I have ever witnessed has been Jacksonville, Florida. Three major accidents in the span of an hour on one stretch of road. People not signalling and zipping in and out of lanes. I couldn't believe how atrocious it was.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
Go to China, especially Beijing. They literally never ask for permission to merge. They simply honk their horns to let you know that they are about to merge ahead of you, whether you're ready or not.

My perspective is limited to North America and some of Europe but I have had friends who have worked in China, specifically Beijing and Shanghai, that have said driving their is 'batshit insane'. What you're saying matches what I've heard before.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Everyone always says their place has the worst drivers. The real answer is that humans suck at driving and as a result suck at it no matter where they are.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I have not been to most other states but fuck California's drivers and fuck its shitty narrow roads (at least in LA and SanFran)

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
I used to think CA was bad, but then I had to drive in Rome. I felt like I was in a Jason Bourne chase seen. I can handle anything in the states now.

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
I've lived in states all over the country, all kinds of metropolitan areas and nowhere is near as bad as Texas. The drivers here are not only dumb as rocks, but have zero regard for anyone on the road, even themselves. People here seem to think rules don't matter.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
My best friend who used to drive like a grandmother moved to LA a couple years ago. When he comes back to the east coast his driving is INSANE compared to how it used to be just from having to drive around there all the time.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Its either some place in China or India, or maybe one developing country that im forgetting. Its definetely not anywhere in North America or Europe.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
dude no one uses the turn signals anywhere. no place is unique in that facet.

hell today I was coming back down Karcher Road from the Target and theres a strip of bars along the road, and the Jeep Wrangler in front of me just decided to turn into the bar without using a signal. Like hey it's that plastic stick on the left side of your steering column, its in the same place on most cars.

(bonus) the Dodge Ram(see? these things are trouble) in front of him actually turned on his signal to turn into the next bar up, but upon just about turning into the driveway he changed his mind and tried to pull back out into traffic to attempt to turn into the next entrance about 100 ft up, had to swerve into the center turn lane to avoid him just pulling back out onto the road. Was like dude ain't you supposed to leave the bar drunk rather than arrive at it drunk?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Philly drivers in Philly are also trash. The only city I've been to where stop lights are more of a suggestion than an actual rule to follow. I see people drive up on the sidewalk on a regular basis to get around things.

Never been to Cali but they can't possibly be worse than Philly drivers.
Lol I agree with that as well. I just hope I never get into an accident driving on 76. Such a garbage HWY with too many impatient people

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It's Chicago.

We have idiot pedestrians too that don't understand how red and green lights work.
Years ago a friend taught me to drive in Chicago traffic. His advice was "Just start moving over slowly, people will let you in" and he was right. Years later I moved to the Bay and thought the same thing would apply, but... nope. CA drivers would pull up in your blind spot and just live there. If they see you trying to change lanes, they'll accelerate to fill the gap before you can. I don't think they're bad drivers per se, but they are assholes.

Oct 27, 2017
Driving on the highway to Downtown Houston from the Suburbs is a nightmare. There are lots of safe and courteous drivers, but there are some insane people on the road during rush hour. Guaranteed to witness traffic cops pulling over speeders and violators and of course the occasional crash or fender bender. Daily. Rain or shine, it's a high rate of bad driving.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago a friend taught me to drive in Chicago traffic. His advice was "Just start moving over slowly, people will let you in" and he was right. Years later I moved to the Bay and thought the same thing would apply, but... nope. CA drivers would pull up in your blind spot and just live there. If they see you trying to change lanes, they'll accelerate to fill the gap before you can. I don't think they're bad drivers per se, but they are assholes.

100%. As I said earlier everyone starts doing this-because otherwise if you leave an inch everyone will cut in front of you.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Nashville, TN is hell to drive in (Coming from a guy who has lived in NYC and travelled all over). People here will cut you off at any given moment without much time to react.
I was just about to say this. I came from the DC area. Tonight alone my friend and I nearly got hit three times by vehicles from drivers who just started turning into our lanes without looking and seeing us right next to them. Keep in mind it's a big SUV. The slow drivers always stay in the left lane. They treat roundabouts like 4 way stops. Legit have witnessed cars swing wildly across 4 lanes of traffic cutting everyone off and causing accidents. People entering the exit ramp to get on the highway. I could go on.

The greatest boy

Alt account
Banned
May 31, 2019
All of the United States pales in comparison to places like Panama.

Have you ever driven in a place like Panama before?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Tijuana is just a few miles south. Go there for the real Dark Souls experience.

Orange County has never felt bad to me. Most people drive predictably. Even if they don't signal until right before they switch lanes, if you are paying even the tiniest bit of attention you will be able to see "oh that car is rapidly accelerating/has taken their foot off the gas pedal, they are clearly looking to switch lanes". The left most lanes in particular tend to be pretty dang predictable even when people weave in and out. Other than that, stay out of peoples blind spots and you will be fine.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I was in California for a few weeks and everyone seemed to be very courteous on the road, giving way etc but in Sydney it is like the total opposite, basically if you indicate you want to turn into a lane you better do it only 1 or 2 seconds before actually turning because if the person who is already travelling in that lane sees your indicator they will speed up to close the gap.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Tourists are the worst drivers on the planet. Even worse than the elderly. Anywhere with tourists is a bad place to drive.
Well tourists are busy being tourists and looking at the sights rather than the road, so it's to be expected.

Everyone always says their place has the worst drivers. The real answer is that humans suck at driving and as a result suck at it no matter where they are.
Even in this thread most people are talking about places outside of where they live.. Florida especially. Which leads to:

California is in the better half statistically for accidents among US states.

The worst is Florida, beating out the next two states combined.

Glad to see it's official that Florida can't drive for shit.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
SoCal drivers when it rains:

430853.gif
Why are you coming for my life!

Driving in the Bay Area is definitely more chill. Sure some people speed, but in general not as much as in SoCal.

This was my live journal post of the month.
That's a name I haven't heard in a while.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My bestie, whom lived in Los Angeles for 15 years, but has now lived in Atlanta for the past 25, insists California drivers are notably better than the ones here in Georgia.