• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
No offense Bruce but your entire OP was absolutely cute when considering how shits goes down in the Middle East and South Asia.

Feel your suffering nonetheless.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Boston has the worst drivers.

Boston has been consistently in Allstate's bottom 3 for like, ten straight years

This year's list of safest cities for drivers

What gets me is the blatant disregard for any and all traffic laws, especially from Lyfts/Ubers downtown. The number of times I, as a pedestrian crossing during the walk sign, have been nearly killed by drivers turning LEFT on a RED LIGHT is astounding.

nope, it's Connecticut. Connecticut drivers are responsible for both car accidents I've been in

I consider large parts of Connecticut cultural suburbs of Boston

Only sort of joking honestly

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Everyone's a homer and wants bragging rights over the worst traffic, the worst drivers, the worst commute.

I haven't been everywhere, but I've moved from one end of this country to another and was a road warrior for a number of years back when I was attached to a sales office. So I've seen drivers from Seattle to SoCal to Miami to New England, and all sorts of places between. And, to boot, I don't have much in the way of homerism, since I've never lived in any one place for more than a quarter of my life. (I haven't been to Alaska or Hawaii or the colonies.) And I will say. . . man, every place has bad drivers. I got stories about pretty much every place I've been.

So while this isn't scientific, I'd say the winner is. . . Boston, easy. In fact, while they complain about traffic, I vocally disagree and point out it's the drivers. I would reserve the "worst traffic" award to someplace that deserves it. I could fill a book with all the bad habits I've seen in America, and sure all of those happen in Boston too. I could fill another book with just the crazy stuff I've only seen in Boston. These people just flat-out should not be driving, because the drivers here aren't merely inattentive or lazy or incompetent or even possibly drunk. You can kind of see what mood people are in by the way they drive. Aggressive cut-offs, weaving in and out of lanes, and heavy pedal feet are all internally consistent in their own way. And again, you see plenty of that. AND THEN, there's the jank. Like the city itself needs a bug patch. Like. . . just. . . why??

Just one example. ONE. Have you ever been driving along a four-lane one-way road (not a highway but a main city artery), camping in your lane at 40-45mph because things are moving along, and then suddenly see the car in front of you slam its brakes right in the middle of the lanes, green light ahead and nothing within 50m in front of it, and you have to swerve violently to avoid it? If you were checking Facebook you'd be dead. Something that just defies all logic, common sense, self-interest, self-preservation, or even any goddamn reason you can possibly think of? It's just a WTF freakout like you're driving in an MDickie game. Well, this kind of thing isn't even rare in Boston. It just. . . happens. You literally can't trust anyone in any situation for even a second. You can't assume they're limited to jerkish-but-I-get-it things like cutting you off or driving verrry slowly. For all you know the car in front of you might swerve off the road, run a lap around someone's mailbox and then slowly back into a port-a-potty like it needs to take a crap because I've basically seen everything but.
Meh. I've driven in Cali and drive in Boston these days; I see all that on a regular basis here, worse, AND the jank.

Anyone wants to challenge Boston for the honor of Worst Drivers in the World, they need to beat The Jank.

At least we have wonderful public transit to take instead of driving

You can't talk about the jank without mentioning the 3 T derailments in the last 2 weeks, 2 on the line I take to work

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's Washington D.C. and heading up to Baltimore in my experience. There were people just parking their cars in traffic on a busy street and walking away from them. And driving on that interstate from DC to Baltimore's airport was the only time I ever feared for my life while driving. So much road rage, and careless driving that I was damn lucky to make it without incident.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
What gets me is the blatant disregard for any and all traffic laws
Disregard for traffic laws, I get. It sucks, but I know why assholes do what they do. I would say there are many cities where the overall driving experience is worse, because it's a Mad Max free-for-all, especially places like India. Boston is not that bad, in that way. The average may be even. . . average. But the absolute worst drivers, you will find in Boston. I can handle Chaotic Evil drivers. They are, in their own way, logical, predictable. You can expect the worst, and prepare for it. They do not terrify me like the Chaotic WTF I've seen in Boston. Boston drivers aren't logical in any selfish or incompetent sense. I wonder if they're even human. I simply cannot predict what some of them will do. Familiarity with road rage, even endemic road rage, does not prepare you for The Jank.

That said, the best drivers short of professionals will also be found here, if only because adversity breeds resilience. I wouldn't praise the average, but I've also seen some pretty amazing maneuvers. Some of the truck drivers are legit impressive, because they have to be.
You can't talk about the jank without mentioning the 3 T derailments in the last 2 weeks, 2 on the line I take to work
The T just leaves people no choice, but it's also logical in the sense that Boston is run by psychopathic incompetents.

Last edited:

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to these stories make me grateful that I live in Minnesota. We have some of the kindest, most thoughtful drivers that I've ever experienced. Lots of "You go, no you go, no you go", hand waving, zippering, blinkers, etc. #MNNice

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I was recently in Greece and every single car I saw was beat up, driving from Switzerland to France things get way more chaotic.

However, Nepal and India have some insane roads and drivers, literally the only countries I have feared for my life in while on the road.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
No, I spend my time between California and Utah. It's not even close. Bay Area/LA traffic is a shit show and you just have to take what you want. It's understandable. Salt Lake City has the worst drivers easy. You just have no idea.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
No, I spend my time between California and Utah. It's not even close. Bay Area/LA traffic is a shit show and you just have to take what you want. It's understandable. Salt Lake City has the worst drivers easy. You just have no idea.
Driving in Salt Lake is only the worst because it's ALWAYS under freaking construction. I've never driven through there and not gone through construction of some sort, have no idea what they are doing there.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
More drivers, yes. Worst drivers? No.

Though, I suppose it does make sense that if there are more drivers, then there are bound to be more bad drivers, logically speaking.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree without proper info but the time I went to westward to Cali was pretty bad ya

Toronto was no fun too

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Driving in Salt Lake is only the worst because it's ALWAYS under freaking construction. I've never driven through there and not gone through construction of some sort, have no idea what they are doing there.

It's mostly because they can't do anything during the winter months, so spring through fall is a non-stop construction shit show.

And the drivers are bad. I think it's a religion thing. Everyone figures it doesn't matter how insane they drive because god has a plan for them or something. They'll either get wherever they're headed 10 minutes faster or they were meant to die anyway. Drivers are crazy here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
You need to get out more often. LA might have the worst drivers in the US, but there are countries that basically have no traffic rule enforcement at all.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Out of state drivers seem to have major problems dealing with driving here. That tells me that just about everyone else is worse.
Seriously at least half the times I'm amazed at how dumb another driver is, they don't have California plates.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
In West Texas, they purposefully drive dangerously. The phrase "time is money" is taken to extremes in the petroleum industry.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jersey is pretty bad. Heard Cali is bad also. NY has the best
This is a typical NYer thing to say. I had friends from NY badger me while I was in their car in Manhattan about how bad they thought NJ drivers were and then right afterwards a NY driver almost ran them up the sidewalk.

Boston is by far the worst driving experience I've ever had. So from personal experience I'd say top 3 worst are Massachusetts, Florida and Ohio.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I lived in California for a few years and currently am in FL.

FL has the worst drivers by a mile. If you don't have good brakes in FL you are playing with fire. Literally the closest thing I've seen to Mad max on the road. Random u-turns outta nowhere, driving over medians constantly, everyone driving atleast 20 mph over speed limit everywhere, insane tailgating, etc

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The area I live in has a lot of people getting their license for the first time. It's so crowded and busy, I'm pretty sure DMV is just processing everyone as fast as possible regardless of test results.. that's the only explanation I can think of when I see so many terrible ass drivers in brand new $50k+ cars.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Boston has the worst drivers.
I know you don't like Boston but seriously in my opinion they are not nearly bad as some other places. People in Massachusetts can and are definitely assholes but they aren't dangerous. I've lived in 6 different states and Texas drivers just don't pay attention and that is super dangerous.

I lived north of Houston and would commute to Huntsville for grad school 45 minutes away and the high speed (75-80) and lack of attention paid to the road was crazy. I would see people constantly on their phones merging without looking and getting into accidents or near accidents constantly. The amount of construction was out of hand too which exasperated the issue and forced everyone to make lane switches with little notice.

Seriously get off your phones Texans.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Driving for a few years in NorCal will teach you to be aggressive in order to survive. If you can make it there (on the road), you can make it anywhere.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
People are terrible drivers everywhere. But on average most people are pretty good at driving, you're just only going to remember terrible drivers. And you see more terrible drivers where you live because... Well you live there.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Lol Im from Paris, I've seen Italian drive too and North Africa (Morocco) and even though they all drive terrible nothing tops China. They will literally roll over you if you try to cross at the wrong time and not give a single fuck

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
FL has the worst drivers by a mile. If you don't have good brakes in FL you are playing with fire. Literally the closest thing I've seen to Mad max on the road. Random u-turns outta nowhere, driving over medians constantly, everyone driving atleast 20 mph over speed limit everywhere, insane tailgating, etc
People in Massachusetts can and are definitely assholes but they aren't dangerous. I've lived in 6 different states and Texas drivers just don't pay attention and that is super dangerous.
I've been to Florida and Texas many times and yeah, you gotta be careful. But it ain't The Jank. You can at least know what to expect from assholes, and prepare yourself. In that sense I will concede that Boston on average isn't nearly as bad. Even areas overseas where 90% of the road is a bunch of people whispering "Witness me". . . that is certainly more dangerous, I'll give 'em that, but you basically know what everyone's gonna do. They're gonna drive like you ain't there. It's selfish and dangerous, but predictable. And maybe there's not as much of that here. The overall driving experience isn't one I'd trade for, say, Mumbai, that's for sure.

However, this is a thread about worst drivers, and I'm not seeing even a remotely compelling counter to The Jank. Just more "they drive like rules and pedestrians and other cars don't exist". But again, every city has those, it's just a question of percentages. And in that sense I wouldn't say Boston's the worst.

But only when you encounter a mysterious driver and realize you have absolutely no idea what they'll do -- not merely drive like they own the road, but do something so frickin' bizarre that you have no hope of predicting its next move -- when you find you have to question the cohesion of reality itself, only then do you comprehend the horror of The Jank.
I'm not exaggerating. Someone's driving like an entitled maniac, I can easily tell what they're going to do next. I see a BMW in Tampa, I know what to expect. I see an unassuming Nissan Altima in Boston, I'm giving myself enough room to react to literally anything physically possible within the car's specs, because they've done everything from hard brake for no goddamn reason to swerve perpendicular to the lines (!!!!) to try to ram me. I honestly thought I might've been some psycho's random murder victim.

Last edited: