T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I have never seen anything so bad in my lifetime.

People who preordered in September getting delayed/cancelled at the last moment.

Retailers dripping their entire stock on multiple daysnfor

Some retailers saying they are only selling online yet some are selling consoles in-store so when you ask them you'll get a different answer every-time

Retailers getting stock yet holding onto them for the future. Apparently Walmart has Series X but they aren't selling them yet; some say in two weeks, some say tomorrow.

Who planned this shit?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My launch day pick-up was fine. As good as it could've gone. I feel like, largely, people are happy?

I was gonna write 'considering the year we've had' but I scrubbed it out because it's just been... good on my end, 2020 or not.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
Between the 3080, Zen 3, and now the consoles, this is the roughest I've seen from a total stock perspective in a long time. COVID is likely partially to blame, both for potentially lower/harder to ship stock, and lots of people at home bored out of their minds.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Got my Series X on launch day, so it's been fine for me.

For consoles being launched during a pandemic I think both companies have done fine.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The stock situation of a lot of electronic products is really constrained at the moment, as someone who has had an RTX 3080 on pre-order for nearly two months (ordered at launch), and has a 5950x on pre-order that probably won't arrive until early December at the earliest, the consoles are in a far better position.

About the only company launching major products during this window that hasn't had any noticeable trouble has been Apple.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Miracle they happened at all. Between hardware final touches and game development, everyone was isolated.

If anything, this is the best launch by default as a result.

But on the PS5 side, delivering so many high caliber exclusives is the real surprise at launch.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's a new console launch. It's been pretty much like this for the last 20 years.

It's even worse this year due to the fact that the PS5 and Series X|S are probably even more coveted than previous consoles. And the fact that there were likely manufacturing delays (and perhaps some lingering bottlenecks) due to the pandemic.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I got my Xbox a day late, but that just seems to be Amazon (since before the pandemic, but obviously it doesn't help).

Honestly, it's been a lot smoother than I expected. *knocks on wood for my brother's PS5 next week*

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's been a great launch for those who have gotten their hands on the box from what I hear. There's always gonna be stock problems at launch, and people scrambling for pre-orders, so I'm not going to consider that a downside currently. I walked into the store, got mine, went home, plugged it up, servers were running, download speeds are faster than ever and I'm quite happy with the experience.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty wierd how people just discount the effect of COVID.
It's not a normal year.

Plus there is more demand than supply.
If you're not getting the console someone else it.
Well it could be a scalper but they'll sell it to someone else.

Just wait a few weeks.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No? I preordered mine, it came on launch day, and now I'm playing a PS5. It seems to have worked as expected for me...

We are living in the middle of a global pandemic. It's incredible that this happened at all, much less as smoothly as it went for myself and some others.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I mean, we're living in a very challenging time, it's almost a miracle that these consoles came out this year and with no major setbacks

Lanofrose

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has a RTX 3080, Ryzen 5900x, a PS5 and a Series X legitimately from retailers at non-scalpers prices, this year has been the worst hell for product launches. Even worse than when I called Gamecrazy and Gamestop everyday for months looking for a Nintendo Wii when I was 13.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

People who preordered in September getting delayed/cancelled at the last moment.

Some retailers saying they are only selling online yet some are selling consoles in-store so when you ask them you'll get a different answer every-time

Retailers getting stock yet holding onto them for the future. Apparently Walmart has Series X but they aren't selling them yet; some say in two weeks, some say tomorrow.

Who planned this shit?

All of the points you make could happen in any year, to any console (or product) launch, and most of the points you're making are on retailers, not MS / Sony. With Sony for example it was Walmart that jumped the gun on preorders in the US. This year has had the pandemic (with all its disruptions to almost everything) and that's also lead to higher demand for the systems since people are cooped up at home. It seems like you're looking at it from the perspective of this being a normal year, which it very much isn't.

Like others have said, it's very fortunate that they both launched at all because they could have been delayed to 2021 or maybe later.

For the record I do have a PS5, and it arrived yesterday like it was supposed to. Even if it hadn't though and I had no preorder I'd be saying the same thing.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I put in a very minimal effort and got one from target online order the night before. Picked it up on launch day.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Yes, it's a disaster, ignore those trying to downplay it as anything but. The most effective tool any company has to its consumers is communication and platform holders and retailers have fucking sucked at it, and that's nothing to do with the pandemic.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
In terms of getting a console, sure maybe. It's been super smooth as far as plugging the box in and using it goes.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately there is a pandemic going on and businesses are forced to run differently. I'm not really sure how they pulled launching off at all.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Dude, we're in the middle of a fucking pandemic. What else did you expect????

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to discount the experiences of everyone, it's been a pain in the ass, but I feel like the situation with the PS2 was way worse. I legit couldn't find a reasonably priced PS2 for damn near a year.

This year, I felt great having notifications turned on for the in-stock sources. I feel like I owe Wario64 a tip via Venmo or something with all the hookups he's done.

Good luck to those still searching, remember it's only launch week; things will get better.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
To me it feels muted and uneventful.

I couldn't really get into it with the current world events.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sony, MS & retailers in general have risked plenty for these console launches during a global pandemic.

Was it perfect? No. Did we need a new console launch right now? Also no.

Stores are still operating no where near 100% and I'd wager the same goes for Warehouses, shipping companies, etc. The whole world's a mess.

Let's be happy we got anything at all

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Who planned this shit?

I feel like every point you brought up has been a thing for the last 2 generations... The first 2 for sure happened with PS4 and XB1, as did your 4th point.

The third one i think is more a byproduct of COVID and prioritizing that people stay home and take advantage of their online shopping because that's where we are in 2020.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
What? For some, sure. For me? It's been super smooth sailing as far as the console and playing games goes.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't if ya heard OP but there's this pandemic that's a whole thing. Ya know, leading to death, crippling debilitations, mental health deterioration, job & insurance losses, mass evictions, etc.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that bad? I'm not paying attention. I have no idea if problems are widespread or just amplified by the internet.

If so, I feel lucky, then. I got both with not too much effort. Less than several past launches, to be sure.