• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is better

• Home Alone

Votes: 831 76.3%
  • Home Alone 2

Votes: 258 23.7%

• Total voters

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Home Alone (1) is the best overall film;

however, Home Alone 2 has the best scene -- the one where Kevin drops bricks on the child predators.

Oct 27, 2017
Two because of the brick scene.
giphy.gif

Marv would have been dead.

Bonus.
giphy.gif
Lol love it so much

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Definitely 1. The 2nd was just a cash in by the cast, iirc it almost wasn't made because people were asking for so much.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
One is the best obviously.

But someone should make a video that is only the Tim Curry scenes from 2. Now that would be the best.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Theres a netflix movie with an example of what would really happen, also its very home-aloney too.

Better Watch Out
Watching this clip ruins the "twist" of the movie, albeit one that occurs at the end of the FIRST act, not the end of the movie.

The film starts off pretending that it's a home invasion movie, where a babysitter has to protect the kid from intruders. Then she discovers that the intruder is really the kid's best friend, and it was all a plan so that the kid could look like a hero to the babysitter (who he has a crush on). Then the kid goes psycho.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Home Alone 2 is watchable and fun in parts but too much of an ad for pre-Giuliani NYC and the pigeon lady doesn't hold a candle to Old Man Marley. I actually find the entire traps sequence a bit extreme compared to part one.

Part one has the edge for me because John Candy and I'm still a sucker for the scene when the mom comes home first.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
when people say 2 is better because the stunts with the goofball villains are better, and I've been hearing this a lot online in the past few years, I feel they're taking a super simplistic look at these movies. first off, it's not his HOME. It's a random abandoned building site which he only knows about via his uncle. When someone encroaches on your HOME things become deeply emotional, for the protagonist and the viewer -- not only is it his HOME, it's a HOME at christmas, it's a place of love, hate, conflicted feelings, it's a fascinating place. in 2, again, it's a random ugly concrete building. When Kevin arranges HIS toys, HIS family's knick knacks to take out the villains, it gets your imagination going, what would you use, and how. They play with his relationship with his brother by getting him into his room, they play with his relationship to the cellar, the bedrooms... but at a random abandoned building? you can't imagine yourself in that position. It's not a worthwhile fantasy. Of course the resolution of his mom coming HOME to him again in HOME ALONE is also something else completely. Don't get me wrong, 2 does some things well enough, including the fantasy of a hotel stay, and of a toy store visit, but it just can't compete with the real HOME, neighborhood, and so on

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst 2 is a pretty great film in it's own right, and it does star an amazingly cast Tim Curry, 1 is the clear winner. The music is great, the cheesy sentimentality of a little boy wanting his family back for Christmas after he "wished" them away and also the late, great John Candy makes it the better movie.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to rewatch these soon and then I'll have a decision. Remember enjoying them both but they've kinda blended together in my mind.

(Someone should do a Homeward Bound 1 vs 2 thread to keep the nostalgia train going)

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
As much as I love New York City more than Chicago, I'll have to go with the first one. Home Alone 2 gets points docked for being a rehash. On top of that, Kevin has less reason to be scared of the bird lady than the old man. At least the old man had rumors about him. Then there's the weird behavior from people when Kevin is walking around at night in NYC.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Home Alone 2 is my favorite. Trump being in it for a second doesn't somehow diminish the entire film.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying 2 are why Hollywood makes creatively bankrupt sequels like The Hangover Part II. It's cynical as fuck and people don't care.

rhino4evr

Oct 31, 2017
The first movie.
The second movie is basically the first movie, mixed with a cartoon. It's completely illogical.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I like the traps in 2 better but 1 is better overall. Also there's no way that Duncan's toy store would ever be profitable in the 90s, let alone be able to afford to maintain it's business in Manhattan.

Marv screaming because of the spider is better than anything in 2 though.

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that almost a quarter of people have voted Home Alone 2 just goes to show how held hostage some people are by nostalgia.

There is no comparison. Home Alone is a fun and clever film with awesome characters, a solid moral, great music and wonderful production design. HA2 on the other hand is a rushed out the door, soulless, empty rehash. Even Tim Curry couldn't save that shit.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Home Alone 1 is the correct answer. It doesn't have President Shithead's cameo, and it has this moment:

Chris Columbus nailed that scene. A kid wouldn't immediately run to their parent after being abandoned, so Kevin pauses.

God, I want to burst into tears every time Catherine O'Hara says, "Oh, Kevin. I'm so sorry."