• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
It's a euphemism for something that does not deserve to be brushed off and belittled. Not every fan of a series wants female characters treated this way and many people that may be interested in a series are pushed away as a result of this treatment. It seems to excuse developers as "just giving fans what they want" and not holding them accountable for their sexism.

What are your reasons for using the phrase "fan service" instead of objectification or sexualization?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Agreed. It sure doesn't appeal to me as a fan when franchises I love start pushing this shit onto me.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
The phrase originated in Japan, and everyone knows what it means.
However I agree it's dumb as it's certainly not a service for me.

If you can convince everyone in the world to use a different word/phrase then cool, but until then I will speak to be understood.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
I have no problem with attractive or sexy female characters but I highly dislike when the characters are put into a situation where they are clearly uncomfortable. It's doubly as bad when that character is underage.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I missed the day when "fan service" was consider adding easter eggs into something that caters to the fans. Somewhere along the way the term has morphed into gratuitous T&A shots.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never knew it to be fan service until weebs told me where the term originated from. Before then, it was objectification and sexualization, and it still is and always will be exactly like.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always given side-eye to people who use this term. "Fanservice" is an inherently positive term. Call it what it is, sexual objectification or sexism.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the day when "fan service" was consider adding easter eggs into something that caters to the fans. Somewhere along the way the term has morphed into gratuitous T&A shots.
This is still how I use it, like all the original trilogy references/quips they continue to use in modern Star Wars films.

Halloumiface

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, games with fan service/ gratuitous objectification = no buy for me.

edit: I'd love for CreepService to catch on.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fan service can also refer to callbacks, cameos, and plot points that match fan theories/expectations.

It shouldn't be used as a euphemism for objectification/sexualization.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on it, I'm not exactly sure what started the origin of it. Someone mentioned it definitely predates Misato's "Service, SERVICE!" lines found in the Next Episode Previews of Evangelion, as there was evidence of the term existing on Newgroups and stuff prior to Evangelion airing. But I do think Misato's line likely populated the term, which... results in us where we are today.

Having said that, I've largely moved away from using it, because I understand the implications behind it.
Fan service can also refer to callbacks, cameos, and plot points that match fan theories/expectations.

It shouldn't be used as a euphemism for objectification/sexualization.

Yeah, that's actually a rarer usage of the word of "Fanservice" that I almost never see. Shame, because it could have a good intended meaning, but like I mentioned above, unfortunately certain aspects unfortunately popularized the term.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Aye.

It might still be too much of a euphemism, but I prefer the term "cheesecake."

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the term that's been used since forver, and personally it appeals to me.

I do think there are times when it goes to far or goes in a gross area, but you can enjoy famservice hike still having issues with some of it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
But fan service can also refer to other things.

Let's defer to the much creepier "cheesecake" for sexual exploitation, and keep fan service for the other stuff like cameos and callbacks.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we're the ones to decide that, but you can call it what you feel like.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fan service is for both sexes - it's a generic term.
Yeah, and I don't think it always means objectification. Attack on Titan for example has a decent deal of fan service in the way of showing a lot of men's rock hard abs yet I'd have a hard time calling these characters objectified.

Unless you wouldn't call that fan service, I dunno. Someone's enjoying it I bet.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Fan service is when something is done as a service to fans. Lets use Dragon Ball Super as the perfect example.

An episode where Gohan doesn't get his ass kicked - That's fan service

Future Trunks returning and getting an entire arc - That's fan service

Vegeta making a speech as he is throwing a hundred punches at an enemy - That's fan service

It doesn't mean always mean something sexual

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Absolutely. It's always been a weird was to describe pervy stuff in games.

Like, Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC? Now that's fan service. Weirdly pervy stuff like upskirt shots? That's weird.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan service is when something is done as a service to fans. Lets use Dragon Ball Super as the perfect example.

Vegeta making a speech as he is throwing a hundred punches at an enemy - That's fan service

This is pretty much what I think of. Shaking ass in front of me aint a service to me lol. I have a girlfriend for that lol.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
"Fan service" in the description of a game is a good sign that it's something that I'm not going to want to play. If you have to stuff your game with questionably aged anime tiddies to get people to play it, it's probably not very good.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

We just need to remember that fans come in more than one gender and sexuality.

Beefcakes. Everywhere. For everyone.

OP
OP
tarantullama

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm not saying don't use the phrase "fan service" at all. I'm saying it'd be cool if we didn't use it as a euphemism for sexualizing characters for no reason. Your description of fan service is how I always thought of it until it was co-opted to refer to sexism with a wink and nod. I'd be happy if it went back to referring only to things like you mentioned.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Hey, hey now, easy with the Gohan stuff. I'm rewatching the end of Cell saga with my son and man I miss that Gohan. Anyway:

I always thought of fan service as something totally superfluous to the main plot, but put in there for the fans (or a segment of the fans). Which is why putting scantily clad character designs in a show that ostensibly can work without that can be considered "fan service." So if you have an entire arc around future trunks, I'm not sure I'd consider that fan service, but I dunno.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

Agreed, this is actual fan service is. In that vein I think it's fine to refer to intentionally lewd framings of shots, etc as something else entirely. Creepservice does have a certain ring to it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Yeah well I mean on this forum it's never used for that so most of the users here only experience the one side of it.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Another day, another kink shame

I like fan service as a catch all term for anything superfluous

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is what I always understood fan service to mean, and it makes perfect sense in that role. Seeing it refer also to sexually objectified characters always seemed odd, and frankly, improper to me.