• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG was directly inspired by H1Z1 is my point. Why is the line drawn there. Because PUBG eventually blew H1Z1 out the water. I guess that's kinda SOE's history. Everquest, H1Z1 both heavily inspired what would be titans and make their game more of a footnote, despite their popularity and success.

Well, gaming is evolution, that's why. Half-Life didn't invent FPS. Dark Souls didn't invent the soulslike formula. Metal Gear Solid was not the first third person game of the sort, neither was Tomb Raider. But despite these games taking cues from prior products, they became mainstream phenomena, and they were the ones who started inspiring future games. FPS games today aren't looking at Wolfenstein 3D thinking "that's what we wanna do, yeah". Devs who tried Battle Royale for the first time seeing the insane success of PUBG and Fortnite looked at those games to try and replicate the formula, they really didn't need to look up all the Minecraft mods or read the Battle Royale book by Koushun Takami to get the origins of it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was this

MV5BMTgxMmJhNjItMmFlMS00MWVlLWIyMjktYjUyYTI4MzA0YzgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg
The book is the start of modern BR imo, yeah. The shrinking circle is what creates all the action and stops it from being a camp-fest, and that originates there.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Counter-Strike was and is big, for example, but is rather small compared to all the BR games combined (obviously).
I think it would be relatively equal percentage-wise. Especially if you include CoD's Search & Destroy game mode. CS and PUBG have in common that they brought in many new players into the gaming market. Same for Fortnite.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Easily! It also could've been one of the best games ever if it wasn't for the shitty jank.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
In general I have no problem in saying that but i still want to wait a couple of years to see where the genre goes before actually saying it, at least *for now* it has been a trendsetter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It elevated the genre, it did not inspire it. Its design and concept was firmly rooted in games that came before it, but it was the spark that lit the flame.

Well, it inspired hundreds of games since, so there's that. Super Mario Bros. or Doom weren't the first at their respective genres either, but they're the games that changed the face of 'em, inspiring countless games since. Space Panic or Wolfenstein 3D came earlier, but they were also so much more limited in their concept that nobody really wanted to replicate those.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think both PUBG and Fortnite were both huge, as PUBG I think spawned not just Fortnite but Apex as well, then leading to Tetris. Fortnite has taken the mantel as most popular for a while now, but PUBG is still relevant, and I think is what brought it to mainstream. H1Z1 was never really mainstream in that sense I feel. I certainly never heard of it, outside of a couple streams and youtube videos. It was PUBG when suddenly I could not ignore it, and when investors and large companies took notice. Since those are the people who have the power to make influenced games happen, I think that's when the "influence" really begins to matter.
H1Z1 just didn't really peak for long, but it was certainly very big for a time, nothing compared to what PUBG or Fortnite would go on to achieve, but it sold millions on Steam in a short time, more than enough to get noticed, then PUBG stole it's lunch and SOE/Daybreak kept fucking with it and making it worse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be relatively equal percentage-wise. Especially if you include CoD's Search & Destroy game mode. CS and PUBG have in common that they brought in many new players into the gaming market. Same for Fortnite.

That is a fair point. Even a game like Siege has a lot to thank Counter-Strike for. Not to mention its incredible importance for decades of modding, which then generated other important milestones like DOTA, PUBG itself when it was still just a mod, and so on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general I have no problem in saying that but i still want to wait a couple of years to see where the genre goes before actually saying it, at least *for now* it has been a trendsetter.

At this point it's really hard to think of it as something that just disappears. Roblox still has like 50 million monthly players. Minecraft is close to 100m. They may not be on the gaming press' or communities' minds a lot, and publishers may not be copying them as the hot new trend anymore, but when a game reaches a certain playerbase, good luck stopping the train.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
H1Z1 just didn't really peak for long, but it was certainly very big for a time, nothing compared to what PUBG or Fortnite would go on to achieve, but it sold millions on Steam in a short time, more than enough to get noticed, then PUBG stole it's lunch and SOE/Daybreak kept fucking with it and making it worse.

See that's what gets me. What was so fundamentally different about PUBG that it suddenly took off? It still looks like a janky, buggy, awful mod. I know streamers were playing H1Z1, so it doesn't seem like streamers can be the answer?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, PUBG is kinda special that way, also if you take into consideration the work of Brandon Greene (Player Unknown) on H1Z1 and Arma/DayZ Mod. So yes, from my viewpoint PUBG/PlayerUnknown is mostly the source for Battle Royale or at least the mainstream success and a big reason for all the follow-ups on Mobile, PC and Console.

Also, PUBG is still hugely successful, it still made 1 Billion in 2018 alone, strongest year so far and that is only on PC. PUBG Mobile has 200 Million users (excluding china). Don't have the numbers at hand, but PUBG sold millions are made a huge bunch of money in the first sale ever on Steam last year and also did the same again, when they released the new Battle Pass for Vikendi.

Personally I don't like Fortnite, but I really appreciate Apex Legends so far and tried out other BR games as well. Currently not playing PUBG, but spend over 300 hours in total on it and I usually don't play MP shooters any longer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, gaming is evolution, that's why. Half-Life didn't invent FPS. Dark Souls didn't invent the soulslike formula. Metal Gear Solid was not the first third person game of the sort, neither was Tomb Raider. But despite these games taking cues from prior products, they became mainstream phenomena, and they were the ones who started inspiring future games. FPS games today aren't looking at Wolfenstein 3D thinking "that's what we wanna do, yeah". Devs who tried Battle Royale for the first time seeing the insane success of PUBG and Fortnite looked at those games to try and replicate the formula, they really didn't need to look up all the Minecraft mods or read the Battle Royale book by Koushun Takami to get the origins of it.
Stuff like Half-Life didn't make something like Goldeneye, Doom or Wolfenstein less Influential either.
And of corse people aren't looking back close to 30 years to replicate that, they look at the massive amount of games it inspired, which is still influencing new stuff, which is why those games are so Influential.

Also, when you put it like that is it PUBG/Fortnite that's Influential or just their success? I'd lean more on the latter, as there's really no ties between PUBG and Fortnite, besides their rules (which neither came up with), they play and look completely different and I'd say that's true for most of the good BR games currently.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, here's an interview where Greene talks about watching the movie Battle Royale, how his idea was to basically adapt it, etc.

It's what made his complaints about everyone else copying his game around the time of the Fortnite lawsuit so absurdly irritating. I'll concede this has almost nothing to do with the games influence, but fuck if it isn't annoying to me / makes me want to give the game less credit.

A lot of the things surrounding the game are irritating. They were selling stuff before the game reached 1.0. Performance on PC was bad, but on Xbox One it was nearly unplayable at times. They have expensive MTXs on top of it being a paid product. Their anti-cheat systems don't seem too strong given the sheer amount of hackers (they were banning tens of thousands of players per day at one point). That lawsuit had a point in regards to certain mobile clones (and partially on Fortnite too, as Epic Games helped them optimize PUBG all while secretly "stealing" their concepts for their own game, which was finished in a record time, contributing to Fortnite's insane success as it preceded PUBG itself on consoles.

But despite all this, it's hard to deny the game's importance.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
See that's what gets me. What was so fundamentally different about PUBG that it suddenly took off? It still looks like a janky, buggy, awful mod. I know streamers were playing H1Z1, so it doesn't seem like streamers can be the answer?
H1Z1 was really poorly managed, they kept changing stuff which just made it worse and worse. PUBG gets a lot of shit, but at it's core it was a very good shooter and always kept that. People abandoned it for PUBG eventually and PUBG just snowballed from there.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yes it remains to be seen how long that influence will persist, but it has had a truly massive impact on gaming both as a title itself and in all of the games influenced by it.

I wouldn't be shocked if ten years from now we're still seeing shooters with Battle Royale modes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it remains to be seen how long that influence will persist, but it has had a truly massive impact on gaming both as a title itself and in all of the games influenced by it.

I wouldn't be shocked if ten years from now we're still seeing shooters with Battle Royale modes.

It's quite possible that at least the bigger franchises like Call Of Duty, Battlefield or Halo, where having tens of thousands of players at basically any given time is likely, will in fact keep on having Battle Royale-esque modes along with their more classic counterparts. And until the player numbers justify cancelling that mode, I doubt they'll stop.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like PUBG is like LoL, just that earlier BR games are nowhere near as popular as Dota1 was. Neither one is really that influential for gaming, but both influenced a lot of failed projects chasing their success.

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief are we really arguing that PUBG is the most influential when not only was it not even the first BR out there, people have lost their minds and forgot the original novel and movie that the series started from? Jeez.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You're crazy if you think BR won't be around as a mode in 10 years. Player counts probably going to be even higher, and the mode hasn't even been fully tapped into yet. It's not even bound to specific genres, any multiplayer experience can be adapted as seen with Tetris. You can't really skip over H1Z1 and DayZ but the popularity definitely boomed with PUBG.

Good grief are we really arguing that PUBG is the most influential when not only was it not even the first BR out there, people have lost their minds and forgot the original novel and movie that the series started from? Jeez.

The original novel and movies are games?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say PUBG gets the recognition for being the familiar mainstream release. But without Playerunknown's DayZ mod, there would've been no PUBG.
That's the real influencer.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you can only have, let's arbitrarily say 5, very popular BR games/modes going at one time. The market saturation of BR players, which are very addictive, has to be close with the release of apex (my first).

Then you add the other very popular GaaS titles such as RDR2, GTA5, Destiny 2, probably Anthem...gamers, even the most hardcore, don't have enough time to play more than a couple.

I specifically didn't play fortnite as once my Destiny friends migrated to it not one of them came back. And most of them now exclusively play Fortnite (well a couple are 'trying' apex).

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Inb4 "H1Z1/DayZ was first".
That's not the point. Point is PUBG huge success is what influenced other developers to put the mode in their games , not the older games. They have credit for poularizing the genre.

In other words, Pubg is to H1Z1 as GTA 3 is to Driver, and Gears is to Kill Switch.

Good comparisons.
Sure, H1Z1 was big, but PUBG got huge.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While PUBG (and H1Z1) brought attention to the genre the credit should either go to Brendan Greene (as one of the most influential game designers right now) or - if you want to credit a game - the ArmA series.

ArmA2 spawned Dayz which spawned the mod DayZCherno+ (by a guy called PlayerUnknown) what seems to be the first BR'ish mod. This mod was recreated in ArmA3 and called PlayerUnknown's BattleRoyale. After that we got H1Z1 King of the Kill (again the same guy) and then PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

The ArmA mods were already pretty big on their own and because of their player base we got H1Z1 KOTK and PUBG and everything else that followed after.
It's kinda the same story with Warcraft3/DotA and their creators which led to League of Legends and Dota2. People usually credit Warcraft3 or the Modders for the existence of that genre.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
PUBG was directly inspired by H1Z1 (far more so than Fortnite is by PUBG) is my point. Why is the line drawn there. Because PUBG eventually blew H1Z1 out the water. I guess that's kinda SOE's history. Everquest, H1Z1 both heavily inspired what would be titans and make their game more of a footnote, despite their popularity and success.
It doesn't matter what started it so much as what blew it up. Street Fighter 2 isn't the first fighting game, but no one would deny that Fatal Fury, King of Fighter, Mortal Kombat and a lot of other early 90s 2D fighters where directly influenced by SF2. It's the same with GoW, SM64, CoD, Souls like, etc... And it's the same with PUBG, Fourtnite wasn't looking H1Z1 when they made their BR, same for most other BR games.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I think that if PUBG never existed, we'd still end up in the same place, just a year or two later.
How can you fortell they. For more would be dead with only save the world. Black ops would have a campaign. I don't see when BR would pop up unless a BR movie/ tv bled through. Wasn't that SAO season 2 basically this? It's almost impossible to quantify

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Brendann Greene our new Lord
Inb4 "H1Z1/DayZ was first".
That's not the point. Point is PUBG huge success is what influenced other developers to put the mode in their games , not the older games. They have credit for poularizing the genre.

In other words, Pubg is to H1Z1 as GTA 3 is to Driver, and Gears is to Kill Switch.

To add to that the BR Arma 3 mod, H1Z1 and PUBG all have Brendan Greene in common. The guy really went all the way to see his vision of the BR game he wanted to make.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree, PUBG shook up the industry a lot. The only bad thing is the company didn't capitalize on their success, and has slowly been fading into obscurity as better products took over. Similar imo to Everquest, which World of Warcraft transplanted whereas stuff like Minecraft or Super Mario keep themselves on top in their niche.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could say it is mildly comparable to the original DOTA mod. Let's see if it has the same longevity as the MOBA.
Definitely agree, PUBG shook up the industry a lot. The only bad thing is the company didn't capitalize on their success, and has slowly been fading into obscurity as better products took over. Similar imo to Everquest, which World of Warcraft transplanted whereas stuff like Minecraft or Super Mario keep themselves on top in their niche.
When I first bought PUBG and played a few rounds with my friends, I immediately told them someone was going to come around and vastly improve upon it and they all thought I was crazy. I still hate the technical feel and movement in that game, to me the appeal was obviously the concept and not the execution.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly the most influential at this moment and of this generation, but of all-time requires, well, time. It wouldn't surprise me if it does continue to influence multiplayer games for years to come though.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. I'm amazed how these battle royales manage to maintain such high user bases -- very interested to see if they can sustain themselves. Surely there's a market saturation point, even if the most successful games in the genre are f2p.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hyperbole, there is stuff like Mario 64/OoT who made 3D games actually playable and had a much bigger impact.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
I will agree as long as we can also agree it is truly one of the ugliest games ever made.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter what started it so much as what blew it up. Street Fighter 2 isn't the first fighting game, but no one would deny that Fatal Fury, King of Fighter, Mortal Kombat and a lot of other early 90s 2D fighters where directly influenced by SF2. It's the same with GoW, SM64, CoD, Souls like, etc... And it's the same with PUBG, Fourtnite wasn't looking H1Z1 when they made their BR, same for most other BR games.
H1Z1 didn't start it either, it just was the first to get really big and led to Bluehole doing PUBG, they share a fuck load more in common than Fortnite does with PUBG. Also I'm pretty sure EPIC has literally said both H1Z1 and PUBG played a part in them doing Fortnite. So H1Z1 played a part in both PUBG and Fortnite.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
The book is the start of modern BR imo, yeah. The shrinking circle is what creates all the action and stops it from being a camp-fest, and that originates there.

The book had its own variation of the shrinking circle, but it was played over days rather than minutes. Its just a shame none of them have really been able to capture what made the book great.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
To me, DayZ would be most influential this generation considering it's the sole cause of both the survival boom and the current battle royale boom.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The fact so many people here were upset at the thought of PUBG getting any GOTY awards should tell you all you need to know.