• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you like to see a Shadow the Hedgehog 2?

• Yes

Votes: 133 49.6%
  • No.

Votes: 135 50.4%

• Total voters

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
You have to contextualize this game into the time period it came out.
The Gta craze just exploded and almost every single kid friendly platforming franchise transitioned into edgy garbage and then died.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
doesn't he become a cop at the end
You got me looking up the ending and it still sounds like a fever dream

Completing all ten endings unlocks the game's true ending in which Black Doom uses Chaos Control, enhanced by the power of all seven Chaos Emeralds, to bring the Black Comet to the Earth's surface. Black Doom explains that the Black Arms intend to use humans as an energy source,[20] and the Black Comet begins to release a nerve gas into the Earth's atmosphere that causes total paralysis in those who inhale it.[21][22] Shadow confronts Black Doom after the "Last Way" level, where he discovers that Professor Gerald Robotnik created the ARK's Eclipse Cannon weapon to destroy the Black Comet.[23] During their confrontation, Black Doom reveals that Shadow was created using Black Doom's blood,[24] and he attempts to use mind control on Shadow, but fails.[25] Black Doom then transforms into a giant called Devil Doom;[26] in response, Shadow uses the Chaos Emeralds to transform into Super Shadow and confronts Devil Doom. During the battle, Doctor Eggman confirms to Shadow that he is the original and not an android.[27] Shadow defeats Devil Doom[28] and uses Chaos Control to teleport the Black Comet back into Earth's orbit, where he obliterates it using the Eclipse Cannon.[29] His friends are elated,[30] as are people at G.U.N. headquarters.[31] Shadow is then shown in the ARK's control room holding up a photograph of Maria and Gerald. He discards the photograph and leaves the room, putting the past behind him.[32]

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm not going to argue that this game isn't weird as hell (because good god) but the more I think about it, it was also... oddly a logical step in the franchise (at least at the time they made it). There were guns, the military and death EVERYWHERE in Sonic Adventure 2. If you look at this game like more of a sequel to that title, it's not that much of a stretch.

I'm gonna quote a post of mine from another thread a while back:

Archduke Kong said:
You know what, I actually don't think this was a case of Sonic Team/SEGA not understanding their audience. Consider this: many games aimed at kids don't grow with their audience. The Sonic games kind of did. Sonic was aimed at very young kids back in the 90s, and the Adventure games were aimed more at preteens/early teens. The story of Adventure 2 specifically seemed like it was trying to appeal to people who were kids back when they played the original Sonic games back in the 90s. Shadow the Hedgehog came out 4 years after SA2. The kids who played SA2 would be in their teens, possibly even adults by the time this game came out, and shooters/gritty games were really popular in the mid 2000s. Furthermore, people who liked Shadow in SA2 liked him because he was the edgy, grittier version of Sonic. Clearly SA2 can't tell if it wants to be a Saturday Morning Cartoon or a serious drama, but the parts of the game that involve Shadow are dark and gritty, however out of place.

My point is, the audience who would buy a game about Shadow the Hedgehog would absolutely want a game with a bit more edge to it. Back in the 2000s, Shadow was very popular and a lot of people wanted a game about him. The plot being a less serious Sonic the Hedgehog wouldn't have appealed to the people Shadow was popular with. Guns aren't too out of place in the Sonic universe after the Adventure games established a full on military presence, and a post-apocalypse alien plot wasn't that much of a stretch two games after the same character watched his friend get shot by the military in front of him and helped his creator's grandson as part of a revenge plot that involves blowing up the moon and destroying the human race. The cursing and the ending where he murders Eggman were a bit extreme, but the concept of the Shadow the Hedgehog game that we got is actually a pretty logical extension of what Shadow the Hedgehog was in the context of the Sonic universe at the time of its release (and yes, this is coming from someone who actually was asking for a game like this. Maybe not this EXACT game, but when it was announced some friends and I were actually kind of excited)

The game's problem isn't that people weren't asking for it, the problem was that what people were asking for was incredibly dumb, stupid, and ended up being poorly designed anyway.

I don't actually like the game (it's tedious and a slog to play, as much as I was hoping for a fun platformer shooter) but I can't say it doesn't fascinate the hell out of me.

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This thread is so edgy, if I weren't already using the dark theme, I'd be switching to the dark theme right about now.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan

He said there were fans that wanted Sonic to use a gun in a game but I think Iizuka just wanted to make an edgy sci-fi shooting game and this was his chance.
doesn't he become a cop at the end
The hard mode has new dialogue saying that it's a test to join GUN or something and the GUN commander invites Shadow to meet his family. It's weird. So it doesn't outright say anything about him joining the military but he's working with them in some capacity in Sonic 2006 out of nowhere so I guess he must have joined? But outside of the non-canon BioWare RPG it's never mentioned again and in whatever ridiculous "canon" Sega has going now I'm pretty sure he's just a loner not part of any organization.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I don't think the game is really that weird. It plays like an extension of the Adventure / Heroes formula, but with the addition of gunplay (which already existed in the Adventure games - especially in Gamma's story - just less fast paced), and vehicles. Even the tone isn't that far off from SA2 (as many mentioned), and it feels more like a sequel to SA2 than Heroes with how much it references SA2.

I actually love StH, though. Jak II as well. Both are some of favorite games of all time, go figure. I've wanted some sort of sequel for the past 15 years, and I'll probably still be waiting for it for another 15, I imagine.

I remember being so hyped for this game as a 14 year old emo-edgelord. But even back then I could see just how janky the game was after buying it. Though those CGI cutscenes were pretty great for the time. I remember feeling like they didn't go far enough in making the game more "mature", and instead the tone is just weird as fuck.

Originally the game was going for a T rating, and was going to be darker, but when ESRB introduced the E10+ they toned it down to hit that rating instead.

You can see some remnants of this in the finished game. During the opening cutscene Shadow says "Just what was that all about?", but he still mouths "Just what the hell was that all about?", since the CGI was finished before the dialogue change.

There were other changes too, like the Black Arms aliens were supposed to bleed red blood instead of green like in the finished game, and human soldiers were supposed to bleed, period.

Supposedly you were also supposed to see Maria being shot instead of it cutting away like on the finished game.

As it is, the game has sort of a half-tone. It doesn't fully commit to the darkness the way it clearly wants. I love it anyway, but I wish see the full, uncut vision for the game.

Well, I wish they had more time to develop it, too. Sonic Team USA began work on it after Heroes was finished, which meant the game had less than 2 years in development from start to finish, which probably explains why it's so rough around the edges, and why the graphics are so underwhelming.

Still, the game sold well enough to be a Greatest Hits and Player's Choice on PS2 and GCN, so someone must have liked it. And until the reception for '06 became so pronounced Sega planned on giving Shadow (and Silver, too, oddly) his own series that would run concurrently with the main franchise. Sort of like how mainline, classic, and Boom were running together...or, at least, that was the plan. Didn't really work out with the flop of Rise of Lyric, but an attempt was made.

Anyway, I think Shadow is a really fun game, and I want more, dammit!

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I will always maintain that Shadow was a near instant death knell to the Sonic franchise which paved way for garbage like this and 06.

And the character itself is a Vegeta wannabe.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember not really knowing what the game was gonna be except it starred Shadow and guns were involved, and then going into Dixons and seeing a TV display with Shadow surrounded by flames holding an MP5 as metal played and basically doing the Drew Scanlon gif.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not like people in the Sonic fandom don't continuously acknowledge how weird of an existence that game is. Like, it's been known for 15 years. You're not saying anything we don't already know.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It was misguided but I'm so happy it exists. I've gotten more joy from the existence of Shadow the Hedgehog than Lost World and Forces, at least.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I actually really like how the game handles the branching story paths, with the player completing different objectives to go to a different level. One playthrough to the next will have totally different levels.

What's a bummer though, is that most of the actual objectives themselves are kind of busted and not fun. It's a lot of "find five of this gizmo!" or "kill 30 of this enemy!" from what I remember. Game would have been a lot better if it just had the SA2 Sonic/Shadow gameplay with levels designed with branching paths to the other levels.

Another problem with the branching paths was that you had to complete all of them in order to unlock the true ending, meaning that you'd have to play through the game something like ten times. Even though the paths unlocked different levels, you'd still end up playing some of them repeatedly in order to get through the game as fast as possible.

xii_7

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
And look, I'm not gonna pretend I'm not a huge sucker for this ultra edgy aesthetic (mainly because of how hilarious it is, but still), but what the hell pushed Sonic Team in this direction? Why would you take a franchise like Sonic and turn it into this? Can you imagine Nintendo suddenly making a game called Luigi Bros where he grabs an MP5 and goes on a murder rampage across the Mushroom Kingdom? Who approved this?

Okay I'm gonna come clean. There was a survey about Sonic that Sega sent out a few years before this games release. All I remember is that you had to choose from a selection of characters that looked like Sonic.....and I ended up choosing what ended up becoming Shadow (I distinctly remember the characters colour, guns...and EDGE..) I'm guessing many others did too.

I'm sorry.

(I haven't played any Sonic games outside the Mega Drive games and SA1....so I feel extra bad for the fans about this lol)

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Pretty sure there was lots of demand for a Sonic game with a gun but they didn't want to give Sonic a gun.

Either way I adored the concept of Shadow the Hedgehog when I was younger so I guess it worked.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I remember playing this, but I don't remember owning this at all. I think I played in a friend's house.

From what I remember, the game's paths brings some replayability - you could be full-good with Sonic, full-evil with that weird alien, and neutral with Knuckles and another friends. That's okay, but the fact that it's basically a Sonic game where the running commands were bad - you generally stopped against a wall, and the Blast is locked on the evil path, the gun is basically unecessary, and the platforming sometimes are as bad as Sonic 2006, makes me wonder why that generation wanted to be so edgy at the first place.

This game also proved to me that Shadow isn't a cool character - he's like Vegeta, where he's the perfect antithesis of the hero, but isn't good enough for being called an anti-hero.

If I want a Shadow the Hedgehog 2? Everything I want from Sonic these days is a Sonic Colors remaster for the consoles and PC.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Hard disagree with the Vegeta comparisons. That's a common contrast people make, but outside surface similarities, the two aren't very alike.

Vegeta is arrogant and driven by a sense of entitlement and a need to prove himself as superior.

Shadow (in SA2) was written as humble, and servile. Shiro Maekawa who wrote SA2 and is the co-creator of Shadow said his character is subtle and pure, and he chose "boku" as the way Shadow refers to himself, despite that it's usually used by women, and it means servant when used as a noun. But this is shown in his character, with how he first addresses Eggman as "master" upon being released.

Additionally, Shadow doesn't have much of a rivalry with Sonic outside of SA2, and even then, his main beef with him was with how Sonic referred to him as a "fake". Even then, he's continuously impressed with Sonic, and even declares that Sonic may be the true Ultimate Lifeform at the end of the game, showing how much respect he's gained for him.

Post-SA2 Shadow gets amnesia, questions who he is, but ultimately decided the past doesn't matter at the end of StH, and his current day personality is mostly set in stone at that point.

He's more or less the same, but without his desire for vengeance. He's still respectful (he often refers to Eggman as "the good doctor"), driven to complete his goals, and has no issues with Sonic. The only time they fight is if they have opposing goals, which is not often.

At worst, he's written a bit more boastful than in the older games, but not in a Vegeta-esque way where he has something to prove. When Shadow is being cocky it's out of rightful confidence, because he knows his enemies are outmatched. He doesn't do it to brag, but rather as a statement of fact.

The truth is, Shadow and Vegeta are more different than they are similar.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I used to work in a game shop where for a while where they had the intro to Shadow the Hedgehog playing on loop.
The intro where it appears to show Shadow shooting Sonic in the back of the head with a fucking gun.
Bizarre.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I was 8 when this game came out & remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I still have a soft spot for the game & still play it. Also, it has some of the best vocal themes in sonic history... & some of the worst.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
This game is unironically fun if you don't take it seriously.

I'll never forget being a kid and playing through to my first ending only for Shadow to pistol whip a fallen Eggman out cold, cut to a black screen and credit roll

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When are we getting Shadow and his pump action MP5 in Smash Ultimate

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
00qlz7kwe5a31.jpg

Remember when the President had an awkward photo of Shadow and Sonic on his desk?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ThIS iS wHo I Am playing at the end of every route was goofy as fuck.

Its a crazy game and a pretty sad reminder that Sega had an overarching plot from Sonic Adventure-Sonic 06 and completely dropped it Unleashed onwards which really sucks. It took itself way too seriously and was absolutely ridiculous but was hilariously enjoyable. As a kid it was super badass and now Its over the top stupid (in a good way). Its a shame that the only acknowledgment of the old story since 06 was Shadow Story in Forces, but it was only like 10 minutes long.

It really blows how safe and by the books modern sonic stories are now, and that if you want anything other than that you have to read the comics.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I was probably about 14 when this came out and I wasn't phased for a second when I saw it, bought it, played through it, and more or less enjoyed it. I only got 3 endings though. Honestly the game's biggest problem is a lack of a level select.

The theme song remains one of the best in the series.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
You know, with all THE EDGE at the time, Sega lucked out by giving a side character the guns instead of Sanic.