• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 14, 2017
The designs are nice with their own comic book sort of appeal, but yes, the diversity and representation is fantastic. Respawn didn't shove it our faces either, acting like it's a totally normal thing to do, which it is. The lack of discussion about it from press isn't surprising, the 'bigger' story of AL and how it fits into EA's roadmap and what it means for the future of Titanfall is a safer story to write about right now. As for the names, Titanfall universe is far in the future, I don't think Earth is even mentioned once. So, these names don't carry the same meaning, the locations most likely have taken on totally new definitions, or may not even be proper nouns.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Hooray for American Diversity!!!

Someday maybe we can get worldwide Diversity , Since you know games usually sell worldwide.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Hooray for American Diversity!!!

Someday maybe we can get worldwide Diversity , Since you know games usually sell worldwide.
Welp, game's out since three days I think, 4 new legends are coming in the next 12 months (one in a few weeks), I think it's fair to give them a chance

Apparently people also think all people from Oceania are Americans

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upping the thread because I discovered a beautiful thing about our cover boi

KBRRz0b.jpg

And it's not even a sad story or something. Whoa. Shocked, it didn't take them a PR nightmare to put this out. /s
I fuckin' love Gibraltar. Some of the best quips in the game so far. His "Just Kidding" banner pose also makes me laugh every time I see it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a great start but im guessing they're roughly the same size/hitboxes for balance reasons? one thing Overwatch does have is a pretty good variety of sizes, heights and shapes for their characters.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It's a good start and certainly puts a lot of other games to shame.

But I'll applaud when developers realize asians can be more than Chinese, Korean or Japanese.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a good start and certainly puts a lot of other games to shame.

But I'll applaud when developers realize asians can be more than Chinese, Korean or Japanese.

IMO Gibraltar is intended to be South Asian. Him having straight hair put up into a bun is a clear indication he's not black/African in origin.

Nov 19, 2017
Wtf is American diversity? Is Gilbraltar American diversity? Ffs
IMO Gibraltar is intended to be South Asian. Him having straight hair put up into a bun is a clear indication he's not black/African in origin.
Nah, he's most likely of Polynesian descent.
He does a Hakka and carries what looks like a polynesian war club.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was surprised there was more than one black woman. Very cool.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
People online love Lifeline, someone says she's very Jamaican, I think she's both asian and black. Hard to say, everyone is super mixed

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys lets ignore certain groups of people that comprise of nearly half the worlds population. DIVERSE Video games.

what does this even mean

Here you go its not hard.

What is diversity?
American:more minorities
What do you mean by minorities?
American: The main groups of people that we in the united states understand as minorities.

China and India have roughly 1bn people each. You would think maybe just one person from each country would make it for such a "Diverse" game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What is diversity?
American: The main groups of people that we in the united states understand as minorities.
The game also has 8 characters, of which 2 have no gender or race - I'm happy for non binary representation for once and love Gibraltar. Over the other 6 characters they did a good job and introduced something that Overwatch promised for years. The game doesn't even have a week.

Nov 19, 2017
What is diversity?
Is Gibraltar an example of this?
There's nothing wrong with the diversity on display here.
Let's not tear down something good in the search for better representation. There is still work to do.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, game's out since three days I think, 4 new legends are coming in the next 12 months (one in a few weeks), I think it's fair to give them a chance

Apparently people also think all people from Oceania are Americans

My intention wasn't to bash or criticize the game. I think its doing a good job.
Its just annoying to always see these threads on ERA where people celebrate diversity. But its usually just different groups of people from America.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
My intention wasn't to bash or criticize the game.
Its just annoying to always see these threads on ERA where people celebrate diversity. But its actually just different groups of people who live in America.
They have about one character for each continent, not too sure about Asia but at least 3 characters have references to Asia in a way or another.

Bloodhound has a sort of French accent that reminds me of French colonies of northern Africa too

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is American diversity? Is Gilbraltar American diversity? Ffs

Nah, he's most likely of Polynesian descent.
He does a Hakka and carries what looks like a polynesian war club.

He kinda reminds me of a not so heavily stereotyped version of the Gunner from Monday Night Combat who was hawaiian.

tumblr_mcxmmgCjYI1rzxs1uo1_400.gif

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Diversity is good, but goddamn those characters are horrible.
I think the same thing, not digging the healers looks, mountain climber, with snow mountain pants but barely any top clothes with drum sticks... umm ok lol not only that but her character animation on the selection screen gives her really ugly skin, with pimples near her arm pit... lol Gibraltar guy looks just weird, big thorso short legs and weird head with almost no neck lol. The rest are great. Just those 2 that are not to great imo. Oh yeah and the poison guy just looks meh.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have about one character for each continent, not too sure about Asia but at least 3 characters have references to Asia in a way or another.

Bloodhound has a sort of French accent that reminds me of French colonies of northern Africa too

I imagine all that "Allfather" and other norse stuff in their lines would point to European descent.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
glad its FPS the char designs look way too cartoony for my tastes

no matter how you slice it 8 characters aren't gonna be able to represent a lot of people, its a little odd so many characters look african vs having more south american / asian look but they are gonna be adding more chars over time. at least none of the VA is over the top annoying.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, you have people clowning on this game's character make-up between a visible cast of 6. The other two being an ambiguous character and a damn robot, come on.

I wasn't really that interested in the characters at first from a personality/aesthetic angle at first, but the immediate diversity in the cast was something I found interesting (more yet the lack of internet shittiness about it), but after seeing a character being non-binary and the casual inclusion of someone gay I was more impressed. After playing for a bit I'm also starting to dig their individual personalities.

Eightley

Nov 6, 2018
You can really see this play out in the various trailer Youtube comment sections, but the fact that the devs aren't making a big deal about the diverse cast also makes it harder for people to find a foothold to get mad at it. It's kind of similar to Fortnite in that regard, I love it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Jamaica itself actually has a lot of people of Indian and Chinese descent. Not sure if that's what she's supposed to reflect, but she sounds like more of a yardie.
Unfortunately I don't know much about this subject but I'll look into it, I think you're right and I hope we get more because she's awesome

Over watch has Asian and Indian representation. This is not better

Overwatch is missing this cultural mix. All characters in it just stick to their nationalities and barely challenge it. Apex has one non binary character (not a robot!) and a grand total of only 8 characters compared to Overwatch that started with double that

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can really see this play out in the various trailer Youtube comment sections, but the fact that the devs aren't making a big deal about the diverse cast also makes it harder for people to find a foothold to get mad at it. It's kind of similar to Fortnite in that regard, I love it.

I saw a great tweet earlier that pointed out that the current top meta requires dudebros to play either a nonbinary person, one of two black women, or a gay dude. I'll take a quiet victory at this point.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It's
Been
Hours
Since
Release

I'm waiting for Irish representation but I'm not going to complain when my group isn't in the first run. Chill.

Interesting how the thread was made without waiting then , ignoring a pretty sizable amount of the world. Ill praise it when i see it, most games end up this way.

I mean do you just want the thread to be full of praise without any criticisms ? hopefully they take it into account and dont just stick to one continent.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Interesting how the thread was made without waiting then , ignoring a pretty sizable amount of the world. Ill praise it when i see it, most games end up this way.
Overwatch was celebrated for its diversity seasons before it even came out, and had a great marketing push for being "inclusive", sorry for noticing that this game has some stuff going on without it being a bullet point in their website.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Respawn already doing a better job than Blizzard tbh
Apeleg has a really strong hero line-up that, I think, sets a good precedent for its future. It's like Respawn looked at Overwatch (which does a fantastic job, to be clear!) and thought, "we can do better".

Ahahaha, omg.
People are saying this is more diverse than Overwatch, but as far as I can tell the only thing this would have over the Overwatch cast is playable black women. People have pointed out there's little to no Asian or Indian representation.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
American Diversity...

Just no pleasing people is there? The anti Diverse crowd hates this game for being "SJW" and now it's apparently not diverse ENOUGH?

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
People are saying this is more diverse than Overwatch, but as far as I can tell the only thing this would have over the Overwatch cast is playable black women. People have pointed out there's little to no Asian or Indian representation.
I hate to point it out so much, but Overwatch didn't have gender/racial/sexual diversity on day one, no non binary humanoids, and we had to wait for the first homosexual character instead of it being explicitly stated in his lore. Maybe also a mixed descent woman (Lifeline). That's what they have over Overwatch

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The characters are pretty boring. Bangalore and Mirage look okay but I'm not feeling the rest. They should have really used non human characters. That would have made the game much more exciting.