• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
legend-characters-apex-legends-roster.jpg

I don't really have much to say, but this is quite diverse and I definitely don't see generic white male between them. It's also not based on countries and some characters have different accents. I feel this is better than Overwatch.

I also love the ninja run of Wraith.

EDIT: confirming Bloodhound as non-binary, Gibraltar as non-hetero

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Really appreciate it as well. Their character pages on the website gives us some good details on their background.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Battle Royale games don't appeal to me, but really glad that this is the case. The more diversity in games, the better.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I think the designs are great and love the diversity. I noticed it almost immediately. Lifeline is the best.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's super cool. I love how the 'default' traditional soldier class (Bangalore) is a POC woman. Good job Respawn.

Jan 10, 2018
This also relates to the classes. I like the fact that the badass soldier character is a black female with a menacing look and some very non-friendly finishing moves.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I appreciate this a lot. Additionally the game has a really great aesthetic, and the character designs and overall look is leagues above Fortnite. Not quite as good as Overwatch, but it looks great.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
The character designs aren't very striking but lord have mercy I really appreciate this breath of fresh air lmao

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are the ones with place names from those places?

Because IMO the one named Bangalore looks like she's African and the one named Gibraltar looks like he's South Asian, so I would assume their names are reversed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'll have to point out also that there is no sexualization whatsoever... While the base designs look a bit plain, legendary skins are pretty pretty sweet and very little skin to be seen.

Because IMO the one named Bangalore looks like she's African and the one named Gibraltar looks like he's South Asian, so I would assume their names are reversed.
Both in italian and spanish bengala is a term for flares, and she both throws out a flare to call an airstrike and smoke granades, so that's maybe connected?

Btw I don't think any of them actually comes from Earth

Last edited:

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I called my brother and told him there was two black women and one has curly hair. I was actually shocked.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Upping the thread because I discovered a beautiful thing about our cover boi

KBRRz0b.jpg

And it's not even a sad story or something. Whoa. Shocked, it didn't take them a PR nightmare to put this out. /s

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean either Bangalore is a really poorly done Indian woman or they made a character named after a city in India a black lady

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's chiefly because their identity is hidden, but I'm not going to argue that they're gender-normative either.
Yeah, their character bio on the game's website reads more like just nobody knows much of anything about them, gender included.

That said, I'm considering them enby until definitively proven otherwise.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Apeleg has a really strong hero line-up that, I think, sets a good precedent for its future. It's like Respawn looked at Overwatch (which does a fantastic job, to be clear!) and thought, "we can do better".
Only one white male and his power is being toxic. Damn...
Ahahaha, omg.

Oct 27, 2017

Uh, eh. Gibraltar is a British overseas territory in the south of Spain. The population is mostly white and southern European. There's some Moroccan population, but it's mostly white.

As others have pointed out, I don't think the names refer to their origin at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Apeleg has a really strong hero line-up that, I think, sets a good precedent for its future. It's like Respawn looked at Overwatch (which does a fantastic job, to be clear!) and thought, "we can do better".

Ahahaha, omg.
I love the fact that they didn't take 3 years or multiple PR scandals to have sexual, gender and color diversity, no tearful letters to fans here and there, no marketing push on "this is for everyone", and didn't need some stereotypes like the building dwarf or the aryan looking angel. The cover doesn't even feature European descendants. Perfect.

The fact that some media covered for years Overwatch and threw parties and shit and is now sleeping on this great cast is depressing. A bait and switch was celebrated for 30 pages just recently (and another story from inside Blizzard about shameful stereotypes and working conditions completely ignored and not published by Kotaku, Polygon or IGN).

I really really hope this game one ups Overwatch in every way.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So no indian or Asian characters. Aka 35% of the world Dope. American Diversity!

Also the black healer is voiced by a white lady lol

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, their character bio on the game's website reads more like just nobody knows much of anything about them, gender included.

That said, I'm considering them enby until definitively proven otherwise.

They confirmed that they were NB or at least not disclosing.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/04/apex-legends-preview-titanfall-battle-royale/

I mention Bloodhound, a tracker character sporting futuristic plague doctor garb, and Frechette confirms that yes, Bloodhound is non-binary, or at least non-specified, in terms of gender.

"Our studio is comprised of a diverse group of people, the playerbase of battle royale is comprised of a diverse group. Having a diverse cast is super important. You want everyone to have someone they can connect to."

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Bangalore could also be in reference to the combat engineering tool colloquially known as a "Bangalore torpedo", which is my guess. I'm surprised this isn't more widely recognized, tbh; those things have been in media for decades now.

Gibraltar is a place too, but also used in reference as Gibraltar being a highly defensible position/impenetrable/very secure place, ie, in the Prudential logo.

Basically, I wouldn't read into the names as something [primarily referencing/absolutely indicative of] origin at all.