• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread contains mild spoilers about elements and strategies used by the bad guys in the game.

I'm halfway done with the game, but it's getting harder and harder to accept the violent actions we have to take against the wild life this game. The more I play, the more I feel disgusted. this game is for mature audience, and it's a violent first person shooter, but I feel that the treatment of animals in this game is super problematic.

From a story point of view, we all know what we are getting into with this game. We're caught up into this pseudo civil war with a cult, that uses a powerful drug to brainwash humans, and animals, to turn them into braindead killers to do their bidding. They even create their own breed of wolves to hunt down civilians and execute them.

We are rewarded for killing bad guys, and there are hoards of them!

As a player, we liberate outposts, sabotage their operations and steal their supplies to help the local populace. There is a money system in the game, in which you use the money rewarded from 'bounties' you get for doing missions, but also by hunting and fishing.

The game encourages you to hunt down moose, bears, wolves, eagles, cougars and various other animals to harvest them for their pelt or skin. You use that money to fund your operations. You buy weapons, ammos,upgrades, cars, choppers, and so on.

It sounds.. alright, but if you play the game, they almost turn the death of those animals into a joke.

I get that it's legitimate to defend yourself from predators like the bears and cougars. But..

There's a mission where you have to test an homemade drug created by a NPC, and the NPC has you run thru this pseudo parkour + shooting course. You have to do it "Sober", and "under the influence" of the drug.

Both time, he has you grab a baseball bat and tells you to "kill the piggies" by beating up to death two farm pigs who are eating on a field. It's the final objective of the side quest. Why? I was playing this with a friend and I was taken aback by this. It's just a virtual pig, but it feels.. so out of character. Why Do I have to kill a pig to test a drug? It's not some sort of "strength" booster drug, it makes you run faster. The pigs don't even try to run away, they just stay there and scream while you kill them with a bloodied baseball bat.

Why?

There's another mission, the "Testy Festy" side mission. You have to find and harvest bull testicles, and not in the normal way done on farms, with a castration device...

I'll just quote this article that explains it better:
https://gamerant.com/far-cry-5-bull-testicles-side-mission/

First, players need to harvest testicles from a bull that is having sex with a cow. So players have to release some cows in the same field as the bulls, wait for one of the bulls to mount its mate, and then brutally murder the bull mid-coitus. Next players need to shred a bull using a tractor combine, and the third and final bull needs to be lit on fire before its testicles are harvested.
Why would you want to torture animals like that? Why would I want to set a bull on fire to harvest its testicle? I get that the farcry has some sense of humor, but it just feels so mean spirited.

You're rewarded as a player for hurting and killing animals in super elaborate ways... for no legitimate reasons.

There's also what seems to be "meme" in the game where every mission that evolves you stealing back special armored vehicles usually ends up in a chase, and for some reasons, there's always an abnormal rate of animals just sitting around on the road, waiting to get hit.

Why?

The animals are not shown to be under the influence of the drug, they don't glow. They are just.. chilling on the road, waiting to get hit.

Roadkills do happen in real life, but it's just such a freak show in this game. I must say that the last farcry game I played was the original, so maybe it's a common theme with the franchise, but it's such a massive turnoff.. There are penalties for killing civilians and hostages.. but there are no penalties for slaughtering innocent animals for no reasons. No in game text, no message during the loading screen..

It would had been easy to put something about the responsibilities of being a hunter, and how not to waste animal lives for no reasons. Maybe if they had included some field dressing mini game, or a game play dynamic about preserving meat harvested from the wild.. You could feed the civilians with the meat and earn money or reputation posts..

Nah, instead you sell fur to people caught in a war zone so you can buy a bigger scope or a new silencer. As a matter of fact, reselling stuff you have harvested from animal corpse is the quickest ways to make money in the game, unless you want to buy "silver bars" from the online store.

What are they gonna do with wolf fur in the middle of summer?

Last edited:

Enilced2

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume you didn't play the previous 2 Far Cry games. Its even worse there since you need to hunt to craft and create your gear upgrades. Plus the skinning had an actual somewhat gory animation, outside of the 2 side quests I prefer Far Cry 5 since the hunting is now entirely optional and I never found need to do it for cash since I pretty much used the same guns through out and was flush with cash

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume you didn't play the previous 2 Far Cry games. Its even worse there since you need to hunt to craft and create your gear upgrades. Plus the skinning had an actual somewhat gory animation, outside of the 2 side quests I prefer Far Cry 5 since the hunting is now entirely optional and I never found need to do it for cash since I pretty much used the same guns through out and was flush with cash
You're right. All the satchel upgrades were tied to animal skins. It felt way more forced in FC3 and 4. It being optional in 5 is a good thing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I liked the part where you kill all the humans instead.

Edit:after reading it I guess the bull testicles side quest is a bit much lol

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What if they were Nazi cows??

The animal part really does not bother me at all and there are many creatures such as wolverines that fuck your shit up or anyone else that attacks them....they certainly ain't defenseless .....even the cows attack you

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This week's Live Event was for the community to collectively burn 20,000 animals alive in order to earn a flamethrower.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved that part of the game especially given how beautiful the map is. Having to find locations for each animal then scouting them out, finding the animals before chasing/fighting them was a complete joy.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just Far Cry. Primal had a lot of animal killing.

5 is pretty tame and dials back the animal gore considerably.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. It's Far Cry. Pretty much everything is extreme.

And fuck those Eagles. Most of the animals attack you on sight anyway so I didn't feel so bad. And they're freaking everywhere.. Wander off the path a couple feet.. Cougar attack! Run down the hill.. Bear attack! Hide by the water.. A fucking wolverine is chewing off your face.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The only time I felt bad was attaching a mine to my dog and sending my dog into a bunch of enemies.

Boomer indeed.

Seriously, do you feel the same moral outrage when you burn a bunch of humans to death with the flamethrower?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're missing the point of his post. When you killed animals in Far Cry 2/3/4/Primal, there was a point to it. It wasn't sadistic violence for the sake of violence. The game didn't force the player into excessive violence against benign animals for no real purpose. Some aspects of FC5 are akin to the part in Conker's Bad Fur Day where you feed a cow prune juice to make her shit massive quantifies, and then kill her by riding a bull into her. Conker's Bad Fur had a particular style of British comedy it was going for that this fit into. But in Far Cry 5's case it doesn't really work. I'm not saying Far Cry 5 is badly written in general, but rather the cruelty against animals is kinda odd, and it doesn't really line up with earlier games, nor does it really seem to have a point in FC5 besides, "Killing animals is funny."

yeah but the part where you killed hundreds of humans was fine
Generally speaking, those humans attacked you first. This isn't Postal 2, you know.

Like, I feel like a lot of people are completely missing the point of the OP's post.

OP
OP
Shuri

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved that part of the game especially given how beautiful the map is. Having to find locations for each animal then scouting them out, finding the animals before chasing/fighting them was a complete joy.
Oh I get this, the whole " hunting, tracking an animal " part is well done, especially with how well rendered the world is. Hell, I would not mind the sequences described by posters here that showed the skinning part in previous games.

It's just the over the top, south park'ish killing of animals that I'm weary of. Like having to set bulls on fire while they are breeding, running over with them a tractor, stuff like that.

It's.. in bad taste.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
You should go back and play 3,4, and primal then complain about 5. But you wouldn't, you'd just want to kill every honey badger or eagle you saw.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a fascinating perspective. Kind of how in The Sopranos Tony is sensitive and caring about animals but can kill humans without blinking. In video games it's similar for me. I sometimes feel bad when killing innocent dogs in Skyrim, wildlife in BOTW, etc. but can drive through crowds in GTA.

I guess it's part of the appeal for some, what can I say.

It's a work of fiction...

Works of fiction elicit emotions, particularly with how immersive video games might be. It's not out of the question to be affected by the senseless, brutal killing of animals in a popular game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but the part where you killed hundreds of humans was fine

Those humans are portrayed as villains though. A mission that has you wait until a bull gets horny and then burn it alive so that you can harvest "roasted testicles" for a Testicle Festival seems oddly cruel even in context of the game, and also sort of highlights some of the tonal issues the game has.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
synopsis of Far Cry in general is "you vs the elements". since this one is in america the violence is a little more glaring but animals:far cry is pretty much like goombas:mario bros so it's kind of something you sign up for by playing it

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I get this, the whole " hunting, tracking an animal " part is well done, especially with how well rendered the world is. Hell, I would not mind the sequences described by posters here that showed the skinning part in previous games.

It's just the over the top, south park'ish killing of animals that I'm weary of. Like having to set bulls on fire while they are breeding, running over with them a tractor, stuff like that.

It's.. in bad taste.

I mean, I suppose a lot of it comes down to how people play the game. If you're sensitive to it, you can go out of your way not to harm the animals. The testy festy mission is a side quest.. So you can just decline the mission or abandon it before you have to do terrible things for bull balls.

A lot of animal killing will be self defense.. But maybe you can just run away from the aggressive ones? I have yet to find a story mission that required any kind of animal killing that would be seen as outlandish. I'm about halfway through so I suppose there could be something else I haven't seen yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the things I hate about Horizon: being forced to hunt innocent animals to craft my item storage upgrades. At least the robots are almost all hostile...those foxes aren't doing anything, though. :(

OP
OP
Shuri

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fascinating perspective. Kind of how in The Sopranos Tony is sensitive and caring about animals but can kill humans without blinking. In video games it's similar for me. I sometimes feel bad when killing innocent dogs in Skyrim, wildlife in BOTW, etc.

Exactly. Tony had no problems killing other mafia guys. Those guys knew the score, when you live that kind of lifestyle, getting killed eventually comes with the territory.

In this game, you kill hundreds (if not thousands!) of violent cult members. Most of those cult members chose that life, and they are actively kidnapping families, killing them, and doing stuff like crucifixions and burning them alive under the pretense of freeing them from their sins. It's some ISIS-grade level of violence. Those cult members deserve all the violent ends they get in this game.

But the animals? They're just animals, living innocent animal lives, eating grass or whatever.

Hell, I'm surprised to see that the animal harvesting was deeper in previous games. I don't think you can even craft anything out of those animals you kill in Far Cry 5 (well, so far from what I have played). Having this in the game makes the whole animal killing somewhat meaningful.

But in this game.. it's just killing for the sake of killing. It's carmageddon style violence.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
synopsis of Far Cry in general is "you vs the elements" ... and since this one is in america the violence is a little more glaring. but animals:far cry is pretty much like goombas:mario bros so it's kind of something you sign up for by playing it
Literally no other Far Cry game features this kind of mandatory, intentional, and senseless violence against animals that don't attack you. Previous titles have featured killing animals for the purpose of using their skins for crafting or meat for eating or lures. Or defending yourself against violent critters. The killing was not drawn out and overtly sadistic. The killing was not played for laughs. This isn't something you sign up for when playing the series. The series has never featured this kind of violence before.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Was expecting this topic to be a little blown out of proportion but wtf at those examples, thats some sadistic shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
1. Neither of those are mandatory missions. You, the player alone make the choice to kill those animals.

2.Testy Festy is freaking hilarious. Sorry if it bothers you.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smh wow.. Its a video game.. The mindless killing of people that's ok.. But the animals?
Can you point me to the mission in Far Cry 5 where you're told -- in order to complete the mission -- to slaughter defenseless and non-hostile humans for shits and giggles? You know, run them over with a combine harvester, set them on fire, and so on? They're just normal civilians -- but you proceed to slaughter them as they scream and beg for mercy because the game thinks it's being super funny?

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
This is a fascinating perspective. Kind of how in The Sopranos Tony is sensitive and caring about animals but can kill humans without blinking. In video games it's similar for me. I sometimes feel bad when killing innocent dogs in Skyrim, wildlife in BOTW, etc. but can drive through crowds in GTA.

Works of fiction elicit emotions, particularly with how immersive video games might be. It's not out of the question to be affected by the senseless, brutal killing of animals in a popular game.

Don't kill the animals. Don't do the side missions where you're asked to.

No main missions REQUIRE you to kill animals.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I found Far Cry 5 to be a lot more tame than previous games in terms of animal violence.

spindoctor

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to kill a single animal to complete Far Cry 5.

Also thoroughly amused that this can upset anyone.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Literally no other Far Cry game features this kind of mandatory, intentional, and senseless violence against animals that don't attack you. Previous titles have featured killing animals for the purpose of using their skins for crafting or meat for eating or lures. Or defending yourself against violent critters. The killing was not drawn out and overtly sadistic. The killing was not played for laughs. This isn't something you sign up for when playing the series. The series has never featured this kind of violence before.

i see where you're getting at but on the same token animals are more violent in this game than any FC to my knowledge. i literally don't think i've gone more than 15 mins without getting attacked or a wolf, bear ect mauling an NPC like it's a routine thing strolling down rural montana. you're not particularly plowing down critters going about their biz

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The franchise has always been bad about killing animals for pouches and arrows and belts etc. but it's just a game, and I believe anything should be allowed in fictional works. Always been a big proponent for animal rights too.

EDIT: Wow, after reading the OP that sounds awful and totally out of place. I think I'm gonna pass on this game now. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
AT least they didn't animate you pulling out their body parts like past games.

Overall if killing people doesnt bother me in a video game animals for sure won't bother me. Understandable if it makes you uncomfortable.

Also at least this game doesn't require you to kill them for upgrades.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange how so many people on a video game enthusiast forum think it's weird that video games can sometimes cause people to feel things

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
It's easy to be offended by Far cry 5, especially if you want to.
As for me personally, I can't take argument about violence towards animals seriously in conversation about game with tons of violence towards humans.
Also, to say that "game encourages you to hunt" is kinda silly. Life encourages you to hunt. You get meat and stuff. You have to choose to be supporter of animal rights. There is no short tearm benefit in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.