• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
First we have Joker, the protagonist of Persona 5, a game which has horrible homophobic stereotypes of gay men that repeatedly try to sexually assault a high schooler. This is nothing new for the Persona series either. Persona 3 includes an incredibly transphobic scene while one of your party members in 4 is rampantly homophobic.

Here is one of the homophobic scenes from Persona 5.

Then we come to today's announcement of the Dragon Quest hero. Koichi Sugiyama is, to put it bluntly, a huge piece of shit.I could go into his war crime denial, however this thread is about homophobia so let's focus on that. He believes LGBT people should be discriminated against and has even laughed about the suicide rates of LGBT people live on television. And of all the times to announce this character they pick fucking pride month.

kotaku.com

Politician Made Anti-LGBTQ Comments On Dragon Quest Composer's TV Show

Japanese politician Mio Sugita has made international news due to her anti-LGBTQ comments on a television show. The program is co-hosted by Koichi Sugiyama, who composes music for the Dragon Quest games.

Needless to say I am seriously regretting my purchase of the season pass. I definitely won't be doing so for any future Smash games.

Dude how far did you have to bend to make this reach.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell did I say that?
I don't understand the point of this thread in general. Are you implying that by purchasing the Season Pass that you're supporting homophobic viewpoints? Because that's clearly not true.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One character I see already out and I've had my money's worth already, and The Hero looks great too.

I despise the DQ composer and every instance of homophobia in Persona 5 (one of the GOATS still) as much as anyone but I don't regret buying the pass and I don't blame Nintendo/Sakurai for picking them. It sucks but at least as far as Smash is concerned it will not be prevalent as it was in P5 and I'd like to think that that scumbag sees very little revenue increase from DQ here.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree. I don't feel comfortable buying Dragon Quest anything because Sugiyama is linked so heavily to the series and how it's marketed so I'm relieved I didn't buy the season pass

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
pretty sure you can link anything to something shitty if you reach far enough. whats the deal with this forum and fucking digging so hard to find something shitty? jesus christ.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
As you're an extremely prominent blogger I'm rather disappointed that this is all you could say in response to it. He's bringing up valid points about the game industry often entertaining homophobic people in such a capacity that we KNOW about it
We need Doomguy to join Banjo in balancing out Joker and Hero.

bc6.jpg_large
...is the original Doomguy Chara, and this is Kris?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I thought people saw the P5 scene and The DQ composer as a real problem but now they should apparently not be brought up bc Smash Bros

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with OP but cut out the really hostile replies, it's not a personal attack on you.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The claim against Persona has merit because the game itself has homophobia in it. DQ is more complicated.

Also the people piling in here to basically say "shut up, just play the game" are being super gross. This is a legitimate topic of concern and just because it ruffles your feathers doesn't mean it's "political correctness gone mad".

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Queer people don't really get to turn off being queer. You can be okay with these characters getting in Smash (I like Persona and DQ myself in spite of all this shit), but that doesn't give anybody an excuse to diminish the feelings people have on these issues.

I think Sugiyama is a piece of shit and Atlus has a horrible track record when it comes to LGBTQ representation, but some people on ERA seriously enjoy reaching in a desperate attempt to try to prove a point, which makes the forum so unappealing for so many.

Immaculate

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory drive-by. Account in junior phase.
you guys are doing this on purpose at this point lol

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dismissive drive-by posting.
pretty sure you can link anything to something shitty if you reach far enough. whats the deal with this forum and fucking digging so hard to find something shitty? jesus christ.

It goes beyond personal values to outrage culture.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but this comes off as a parody thread. Little on the hyperbolic side.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the amount of replies in this thread that boil down to telling the OP "fuck off" for even daring to address the absolutely massive elephant in the room are truly Illuminating

pride month y'all

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Why did this Sugiyama stuff surface only now? It's been known in Japan for years. Why is it only suddenly relevant when DQ is in the spotlight?

I think you're answering your own question. DQ in the spotlight means people talk about it more than they would otherwise.

Granted, I do feel like it's a bit of a stretch of association to be upset about a character from a game being included because that character's home series has a composer that's a bigot.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
While these issues are important to discuss, for the time being we would like to redirect the multiple discussions on the Super Smash Bros DLC to the main announcement topic as part of our E3 decongestion rules. You may remake these specific threads when E3 has ended.

We will be reviewing this thread shortly and processing the reports as well.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
We'd like to make it clear upfront that posters were welcome to disagree with the OP -- respectful criticism regarding substance, framing, or premise would have been perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, by and large, we instead saw a dogpile of mockery, ridicule, and hostility. This is unacceptable and has always been a violation of our posting guidelines. Nobody was forced to post in this thread, especially not with personal attacks on the OP. Members of all backgrounds and identities should be able to engage in good faith without being met by this kind of vitriol.

This thread is a disappointment and we hope that going forward members will be more decent to each other so that moderation will not be necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.