Can we talk about how absolutely dreadful the Microsoft ad for Devil May Cry V is?

Jul 26, 2018
Seen it on TV a couple of times now... It's a couple of people getting through their day in different ways and then they bust out Nero, Dante and V's weapons to complete their task... No gameplay, no real idea of what the game is at all about for the average consumer... Proper Devil May Cry has been put of the spotlight for 11 years you'd think they wouldn't be so subtle with the marketing push... The ad is horrendous.

Nov 3, 2017
It got you to make a thread about the game on Resetera.

It did it’s job damn well apparently. A bad ad is one you forget.

Jan 6, 2019
I thought that ad was kind of funny, it shows the over-the-top craziness that is DMC V pretty well. And it got our attention, which is sometimes all a TV spot can do.

Oct 30, 2017
The ad did it’s purpose, you just shared it with thousands of people, who might in turn share it with more.

Also, it’s dumb fun and a little cringey. Meaning it’s perfectly done. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I just watched the ad and I love it. It's hilarious. It's funny, cool and goofy at same time exactly what DMC is about.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
its a pretty bad ad I saw it the other day while watching a basketball game. and I was like wow thats a really bad ad. doesnt really affect me since I planned on buying this game since e3.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know about everyone else but any add where someone prepares a salad by shooting the veggies to pieces is good in my book.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually love this commercial. Its what got me interested in DMCV.

I work in advertising, and I think its a great commercial as its such a complete change of pace over the typical commercials / video games commercials.

Oct 25, 2017
Seen it on TV a couple of times now... It's a couple of people getting through their day in different ways and then they bust out Nero, Dante and V's weapons to complete their task... No gameplay, no real idea of what the game is at all about for the average consumer... Proper Devil May Cry has been put of the spotlight for 11 years you'd think they wouldn't be so subtle with the marketing push... The ad is horrendous.
Lol if you think the best way for a TV ad to show a videogame is to show heaps of gameplay/plot summary.

The ad is perfect, it conveys the idea of the game clearly- do insane dope shit with crazy weapons.

It's also a shoutout to a dmc1 commercial from japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fb22Hq95U

Oct 25, 2017
They’ve been going with this theme for their commercials for a while now. It’s fine.