• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So bad you couldn't be bothered to put it in the OP before posting.

It got you talking and showcased both the intensity of the games and variety of weapons.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It was enough to catch your attention so much to come here and talk about it, Mission accomplished, that's the whole point of an ad. Now there is a discussion about the product and it's not like it's a repulsive discussion.

Deleted member 7373

Could probably use some gameplay footage but otherwise is a pretty solid ad imo.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the ad definitely conjurs up PS2-era game ads, and that certainly feels appropriate. Plus it's real dumb and real fun in a way that DMC often tends to be.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Fans already know about Devil May Cry. If anything this would make unfamiliar people curious as to what the hell this Devil May Cry is all about.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the ad a while ago and thought it was great. I still do after watching it in the thread.

LoathsomeAnxiousAquaticleech.webp

I don't know about everyone else but any add where someone prepares a salad by shooting the veggies to pieces is good in my book.
Yeah, that's probably my favorite part.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's good from a fan perspective since it's dumb in the same way the games are... But it is pretty awful in terms of selling a game to someone who has never seen or heard of the series up to that point (which is the target audience of TV ads). I mean, what is the game? Cooking mama with guns? SimCity with monsters? Harvest Moon with a sword? And considering TV ads aren't supposed to be aimed at forum dwelling nerds like us (since we've been following the title for years at this point) I'd say it has definitely failed as a TV commercial.

Oct 25, 2017
It's good from a fan perspective since it's dumb in the same way the games are... But it is pretty awful in terms of selling a game to someone who has never seen or heard of the series up to that point (which is the target audience of TV ads). I mean, what is the game? Cooking mama with guns? SimCity with monsters? Harvest Moon with a sword? And considering TV ads aren't supposed to be aimed at forum dwelling nerds like us (since we've been following the title for years at this point) I'd say it has definitely failed as a TV commercial.
Advtertising isn't meant to show you exactly what a product is and what it does anymore. It is supposed to sell you an ideal or a feeling. DMC is a power fantasy. The ad is selilng the feeling of supreme power DMC gives you. You are then meant to go look it up if you're interesting enough to want to know more.

Nov 1, 2017
I thought it was fun and memorable, the second one being the absolute key thing for advertising to get right every time considering how well trained we are to let adverts just wash over us without paying attention to them.

I think the typical "epic music over cutscenes with maybe a brief 3 second snippet of actual gameplay" trailers are so boring and done to death. I watched Captain Marvel in the cinema the other day and there were 2 ad's by Xbox and 1 by Sony and they were all the same shite.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It does nothing for anyone who didn't already knew DMC, which is very stupid for a series that have been away for 10 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I thought it was great. It's OTT and is sure to get people at least interested in finding out what DMC 5 is.

I think it nailed it's desired goal in the 28 seconds it ran for.

Let me ask you this. 15 seconds of gameplay which most people on TV wouldn't pay much attention too versus this random and funny ad; what draws more attention?

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
After watching it, I immediately clicked play and watched it a second time, which speaks for itself. That's a good or at least effective commercial right there.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's a pretty terrible ad. If I wasn't already interested in DMCV, this ad would've turned me off from the game.

It conveys nothing to me except how "lame" the game might be. If this is the type of advertisement DMCV has been getting, it's not a surprise its sales numbers aren't particularly good.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of MS adverts in general but this one isn't too bad.

Some of the earlier ads they did were great

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Most of the Ad is terrible, but the last part with he girl preparing the salad is great. Ad should have been just that with some ingame bits for reference. It reminds me alot of the japanese ads.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Nah, that's a great ad. It fits the tone of DMC perfectly, its dumb and over-the-top. It maybe should hvae shown a bit of gameplay, but it stil tells you what you need to know. You slash,punch and shoot stuff.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's a pretty terrible ad. If I wasn't already interested in DMCV, this ad would've turned me off from the game.

It conveys nothing to me except how "lame" the game might be. If this is the type of advertisement DMCV has been getting, it's not a surprise its sales numbers aren't particularly good.

I love how this narrative is forming, despite very little data being available at the moment (and there being pleanty of evidence to suggest that it is selling well). I hope this sells three million or more and the people so casually spouting this nonsense have to sit down and munch on some crow.

As for it conveying how "lame" the game is... I mean, it sells the style of DMC with laser precision. If you think that is lame, you will probably think the game is lame. For all intents and purposes, DMC IS lame. It is also hilarious, dumb fun (and extremely satisfying).

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. I think the worst part might be the very last weapon she uses at the end of the commercial. I can't tell what they are though. But apparently this commercial is really in line with the tone of the game so I guess it has that going for it

Oct 25, 2017
I love how this narrative is forming, despite very little data being available at the moment (and there being pleanty of evidence to suggest that it is selling well). I hope this sells three million or more and the people so casually spouting this nonsense have to sit down and munch on some crow.

As for it conveying how "lame" the game is... I mean, it sells the style of DMC with laser precision. If you think that is lame, you will probably think the game is lame. For all intents and purposes, DMC IS lame. It is also hilarious, dumb fun (and extremely satisfying).

The data available isn't particularly good outside of PC, but obviously that doesn't mean it can't do well in its lifetime sales.

And I'm a DMC fan. I bought 5 day one. So I'm not sure what crow I'm supposed to be munching in?

This ad is extremely lame and doesn't remotely convey the game properly either. DMCs tone and style is far different than what this ad conveys, which is limited enough as is. In fact, I'd say this ad is targetted largely at existing fans rather than newcomers, as there's no actual selling point rather than context less CG that hopes you do further research without anything enticing you to actually do so.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That whole "videogames are in your real life!" thing should have died in the 90's
Sony is doing it to with the PS5 ads.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The data available isn't particularly good outside of PC, but obviously that doesn't mean it can't do well in its lifetime sales.

And I'm a DMC fan. I bought 5 day one. So I'm not sure what crow I'm supposed to be munching in?

So, we have a week's worth of data for the physical copy of the game for two markets. Instantly, there is a big question mark around digital sales (which are becoming a more and more substantial part of the sales picture with every passing year). Japan's numbers are decent, the UK's numbers aren't excellent, but once again, we do not have the whole scope. Moreover, we know that it is selling pretty well on steam. We also have the vague statement from a Capcom producer saying that the sales "are not low".

So, what crow would you be obliged to munch on, then? Well, you stated that DMC5 isn't selling well. You stated it as if it was a fact. You don't have enough data to actually back up your statement, so it is a guess masquerading as a fact. Thus, if the game has sold well, you are going to have to sit down and munch on some crow.

I think there is a decent chance the game has sold quite well, but I would NEVER say "the game has sold well" when I don't have the data to back that claim up. I don't like making factual statements when I am not privy to the facts.

P.S. Of course, if you want you could always edit your post for accuracy. You could change "...it's not a surprise its sales numbers aren't particularly good" to something like "...it's not a surprise that the very limited sales numbers we have received so far aren't particularly good". Though that isn't quite as punchy, is it? ;)

Last edited: