• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since day 1 this OS that Microsoft uses for the One has been consistently garbage.

Slow, laggy and cumbersome, the dashboard has never truly felt quick and snappy. Sure, it's gotten better since it's original incarnation, but it's still average at best.

So PUBG decided to not start at all today. Every time I would click to play, it would show the start up screen, then throw me to the dashboard. It never gave me any error codes. So I went and did a full restart. Same problem. So I decided that uninstalling it would be the best solution. Nope. After clicking through to uninstall it several times, it finally did it. But next, it wouldn't show up at all in my ready to install list, so once again, I had to fully restart the console.

All I'm saying is, is that Microsoft should have been on top of this crap a long time ago, oh and I bought an X thinking that it would help with the slowness of the OS. I was wrong.

Rant over.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What's your internet connection like? If you find it running slow you might need to change your DNS. The dashboard relies heavily on things they store server side when you're connected to Live.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand all the complaints the OS gets. To me it does the job and I think a lot of the complaints just stem from people that maybe don't use it much or at all and therefore don't understand fully how to use it.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The OS is ok, nothing amazing. It's fairly simple to navigate but it is a bit to "busy" looking.

Being slow and laggy doesn't it help, and this is on the X.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
It's slow and laggy even on my X, but yes we can and do talk about this like once a week.

OP
OP
PROh1bited

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's your internet connection like? If you find it running slow you might need to change your DNS. The dashboard relies heavily on things they store server side when you're connected to Live.

My internet has speed up to 500mb. I'm not sure exactly what this system consistently gets, but I get download speeds up to 200mb sometimes.

I'll never understand all the complaints the OS gets. To me it does the job and I think a lot of the complaints just stem from people that maybe don't use it much or at all and therefore don't understand fully how to use it.

Yeah, I've been using it since 2014. I'm pretty sure I know how to use it.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Slow and laggy? Mine is fast and snappy. And nowadays the quick menu is faster than the PS4 quick menu for me (while during a game)

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Laggy.

Theoretically nicer than my ps4 dash, but doesnt function nearly as well as the latter.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not perfect but it's alot better and user friendly than it was at launch.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mine's not slow, laggy, or in any way garbage. It's fantastic.

PUBG had a bug with the previous patch where it would crash every time for some people, myself included. An uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me. I had no problems there - clicked uninstall, it uninstalled, i went to ready to install and clicked on it and it started downloading straight away.

The guide is amazing. If you're using the dashboard for pretty much anything you're doing it wrong. It's blazing fast, and has almost everything you could ever want in it.

I've only got ADSL1, ~8mb, and never have any problem with it being laggy or things not loading.

Both launch model and X too.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not really slow to me on the Xbox One X (I feel it works fine from a performance standpoint) but I do feel like it's a clusterfuck, and it's just too complex. I wish I could opt in for a minimalist, streamlined version of functionality rather than feeling like every operation provides overwhelming options. The old Xbox 360 blades and the PS4 interface tend to be way more my speed, though I will admit the visual design of the Xbox 360 blades was pretty terrible.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Groups in the guide are your friend. Makes navigation significantly faster.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Similar issues with my X as well and the original Xbox One I had before selling it to upgrade to the X.

I spend 95% of my time in the OS in the My Games and Apps section. The slowness has turned me off from using the other tabs and sections.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
It's really bad both on the x and s. Poor design, slow, and its by far the worst console OS Microsoft has produced. My X had more application crashes in the first month than my combined history of the ps3, 360 and ps4. I really hope they improve it next gen.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked it.

Used to be pretty slow back in the day, especially when you used the snap feature, but now I find it pretty snappy

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
The UI is fast and responsive for me.

I'm also in the skip ahead ring...

I really like their Dash. It's easy to get to what I want

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of glitchy, I get weird hang ups or menu overlap. Weirdest part to get used to is the cramped side bar is the actual OS menu and the fullscreen parts are just tabs (dash/mix/store/etc).

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely not my favorite, but I don't think ive had any problems with it for months now. Certainly, it is not the worst Microsoft gaming UI out there currently.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never liked microsoft's approach to UI design. Sony's XMB is just really simple and to the point and I like it.

Everything and I mean everything seems buried in sub-menus on the Xbox.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I had an original Xbone and a currently have an X

It's hand down the slowest, laggiest, worse console OS I've used and I had a launch Wii U. At the very least, the Wii U OS could boot things properly and respond to my button presses. The One X has a hard time opening apps sometimes. For all the things Microsoft has done to improve Xbox this gen, I'm flabbergasted they still refuse to make significant improvements to their OS.

As Jim Sterling would put it: "It's a bit shit".

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine works just fine. I also really don't get the huge complaints about a UI. If you can get to your friends, games, settings, and store that's all you need. I don't be understand why people get so up in arms about them.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I bough a One X about 2 months ago and I dont think Ill ever get used to the OS.

And ironically being the most powerful console, it has the slowest startup.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The two things that are pretty slow for me are the store and buying a 360 game. No idea why loading it has to take so long for the store and to see the price of a 360 game.

Besides that no(t many) complaints here

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the OS and layout. I think it is significantly faster now and on my X it feels snappy and responsive.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I remember I used to have a lot of complaints with the Xbox One's UI, but lately I feel like there's been some good tweaks to make the interface more manageable/less of a slog to traverse.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
It's the worst UI I've ever used and that's not hyperbole.

The thing is infuriating to navigate and is comically unstable. All these weird collapsing menus and odd icons that barely represent their actual function, it's so damn unintuitive. Then I get hilarious app crash messages when trying to do the most mundane tasks like starting a party: "cant open, dont know why lol" essentially. Sometimes I have to basically type in the konami cheat code to reset some cache or something in order to make things download.

Funny thing is, I get on my PC and everything just works. The technical barriers I used to have with PC are gone and now the Xbox is driving me crazy... they've switched places. Not a joke and I'm not trying to incite master race bullshit. This is a common sentiment among my circle of friends as well so I'm not the only one.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so unintuitive. It does lag a bit on my XBX as well but not too badly. I kind of like the barebones Switch OS more.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
My current One X isn't laggy at all. Been fine for several months. Previous two consoles got laggy then I started getting errors opening games. Consoles died soon after. Dodgy HDD. I install all games to an external HDD now to minimise load on the internal drive.

We also have two PS4 Pros. X isn't any more or less laggy.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Can we talk about how great it is? Aside from the Store, which still needs a lot of work, it's snappy, and well organized.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It's fast and intuitive, with smooth transitions between different screen tabs. Altogether, it's a dream to operate (Xbox One and Xbox One S).

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
It's extremely slow compared to a switch, PS4, steam, or other pc clients, but faster than a current version 360, so it probably depends on exposure and personal tolerance. If it's above a users tolerance then they are all fast enough. If you've never used the switch though, try to demo it. I find the PS4 falls between. Very responsive button presses but sometimes goes out to lunch. Internet/dns can definitely help, but even if you pull the plug the Xbox os has a slight delay to user input. It's also miles better than at launch. The launch speeds drove me batty (even slower than a 360).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A certain amount of lagginess is normal but if it's extreme, this worked for me (incredibly stupid to have to do this though, and 99% of people would never know to do this but just be stuck with terrible lag forever)

Steps provided by XBOX support Below:
Step One: Clear Blu-Ray persistent storage
Step Two: Clear alternate mac address within advanced network settings
Step Three: Perform a hard restart. (Hold Xbox button 5-10 seconds)

I had it where it was badly hanging on tiles constantly when scrolling, which was utterly maddening. This fixed that, and made a wondrous improvement. It's still not speedy as I'd like just normally IMO though.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
You couldn't have posted this in the multitude of negative Xbox and dashboard threads?

Your issue sounds more like a PUBG oneothan an OS as that game is constantly having issues like that for me. It crashes all the time.

But one thing they really need to do is add a steam like verification of the game assets, it's annoying that if a game does have a problem you need to uninstall it completely, steam is great that it can verify what is missing or corrupt and repair the install.

I've never liked microsoft's approach to UI design. Sony's XMB is just really simple and to the point and I like it.

Everything and I mean everything seems buried in sub-menus on the Xbox.

Your really going to try and say the PS4 OS is not sub menu heavy? There are heaps of functions hidden in menus then further menus... It's only simple because you use it all the time imo.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
One of the prime reasons my XBOX One is hardly being used is the entire UI. I find it absolutely garbage. There's no coherence. It has like 3 different menu's in one. All you can do is learn the hard way, and even then it frustrates me all the time. I haven't quite noticed the lag fortunately, at least not by navigating with the dpad, the sticks seem to respond slower

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Mines fast and it's been that way since the update in 2016.

There has to be some kind of dns issue with y'alls Xbox cause current XB1 is the fastest Xbox OS since blades.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
You obviously didn't search hard enough OP, we do get these threads every week as another poster said.

The two things that are pretty slow for me are the store and buying a 360 game. No idea why loading it has to take so long for the store and to see the price of a 360 game.

Besides that no(t many) complaints here
That's because the 360 store is a completely different system and when you press "buy" it actually loads up the xbox.com website and displays that on the pop-ups. Just in case you wanted to know.