GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm thinking of getting a PS4 Pro solely for this game. God of War 3 is the last game I played on PlayStation, and the God of War franchise is my favorite PlayStation exclusive by far.

I'm not a NG+ type of cat, but after beating the original GoW, and being coerced by the game to play it through with all of my power-ups intact, I gave it a go. I probably beat that game 10 times, and I never got bored with doing so. GoW 2 is my personal favorite.

I just couldn't get enough of Krato's brutality and brashness. I can identify with the character on so many levels, but that's neither here nor there. Fast forward to the initial reveal of the new God of War...I'm lost!

After processing what I had saw E3 2016 (?), I thought..."this is cool, but that ain't Kratos and this ain't God of War."

I really feel some type of way about Krato's story not being based in Greek mythology. Something about the direction feels off to me. The game looks polished, the visuals are on point, the kid/companion ideal is genius, but the Krato's I know doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight. That's an issue.

I feel somewhat disrespected, as a Krato's fan.

*The main character's name should be different

*The title should be amended to something signifying a change in mythos

*Krato's is dead!!!

Can someone explain to me how Kratos has become a mythology hopper? I mean dude is damn near the god of death anyway, but come the fuck on here! I understand how games can defy logic, but I don't like what I'm seeing as far as direction is concerned.

Lastly, the game looks great! I just watched this video, but I'm having a hard time getting past the direction of the game.

I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. I may be pleasantly surprised by the game, but I'm 75% sure that I won't be able to get past the fact Krato's is a mythology hopper. It better be a damn good explanation about this...thoughts???

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're perhaps the 100th person on this board to state their dissatisfaction with the new direction. Have you not checked out any GoW threads??

In any case, I say give this new direction a chance. After six games featuring simple revenge plots and practically the same combat mechanics with just few refinements and innovations, this drastic change was exactly what the series needed. A new main weapon, new setting, new mythology and seemingly mature story telling will breathe new life into the franchise.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Kratos in GoW 3 so any changes to his character can only be positive imo. I was hoping they would just use a new character but this I like this too.

It seems fine for him to resettle in a new human mythology, they might even explain how it's possible before the game is over.

Jan 11, 2018
There are two games in the style you like that came out since God of War 3: Ghost of Sparta and Ascension, and they're both great! Go play them and let us have our new God of War :).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the opposite boat. Old Kratos was tolerable at best for me. When I saw the new Kratos I was shocked and immediately more interested.

Also the jumping mythology to me is not important to me. While not direct comparisons games like Assassins Creed and LoZ have gotten me used to this approach of sorts.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
The series was getting way too stale, it needed this shakeup. I don't think I'll miss mashing square square triangle on <insert Greek God> any time soon tbh.

Hope the gameplay is a bit more varied, and also places a stronger emphasis on the puzzles. Dad/beard Kratos doesn't bother me at all, maybe with a son his character will be less of a piece of shit.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I think it's a man trying to run as far away from his past as possible. Aside from almost literally being painted by his past, he has assumed a new family, a new location, and more. He wants to be a new man... this isn't your Kratos because he doesn't want to be that Kratos anymore.

I don't think he's fully hid his former self though, at the first reveal we see him break out into the rage. I think that'll show up more and more throughout the game and maybe by the end he'll realize that he's not who he wants to become and his true self lies in what he tried to leave behind in Greece. I don't know, I haven't played the game but I don't think they're going to leave you disappointed. They know what they're doing!

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kratos was in Greece previously where the Greek gods lived now he is in Norway where the Norse gods live.

Basically, he moved.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing great comes out of staying in the roots. BotW is proof. The new GoW looks amazing to me and even more immersive. Can not wait. I have faith in SM, the best Sony first party, truly.

Have an open mind.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you should wait for reviews, or wait for hardcore God of War fans take on the new game. If you are turned off by the direction of the game it'd be pretty silly to buy a PS4 pro just for this game.

ClubNorth

Banned for having an alt account
Jan 17, 2018
a new protagonist would of been lame, another generic viking dude

the fact that were playing as a spartan in norse mythology is so insane and awesome at the same time

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really did not like Angry Kratos from GoW1-3 and to be honest I didn't really enjoy those games overall. The new Kratos looks to be an actual character and I really like how they've matured the series by not making it just screaming and trashing the ridiculous sex minigames.

Also, it's not unprecedented for Greek or Norse heroes to visit the realms of the other. Both Disney's Hercules the Animated Series and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (Kevin Sorbo) had Hercules visit the realm of the Norse gods.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's the first time Kratos hasn't come off as an obnoxious petulant shitbag who is to blame for just about everything wrong in his life.

The character quickly became a sad cliche of a teenager's embarrassing notion of masculine angst. This direction is necessary for GoW to justify its continued existence.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To those saying God of War needed a shakeup. Why couldn't they just make it a new IP? I feel like if you're going to change things this much you might as well make it something new.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos "hopping" mythologies and destroying them was the original direction tho. So i would say it's a return, not a change in direction.

The title changes the symbol that is the icon of the saga already, so you have something to signify the change in mithology.

As a gow and Kratos fan, i'm all for making Kratos a deeper character.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I just couldn't get enough of Krato's brutality and brashness. I can identify with the character on so many levels,
*dont do a drive by dont do a drive by dont do a drive by*

200w.webp

DAMNIT!

In all seriousness, it looks to me like a pretty obvious "safe" option for them to go. It breaths fresh life into the game and lets them take it in a new direction without risking losing consumers on a new franchise/character. Basically they rebooted instead of doing something new.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Think it's a great direction for the series.

I liked the description I think Cory gave about the series, mainly that the mainline trilogy of games was like a young adult dealing with his issues with anger and rage. This new clearly older, more world weary Kratos has years of suffering and regret behind him. He's still capable of RAGE but it's a part of his life he seems almost ashamed of now. It's something I think he clearly wants to change about himself for the sake of the kid.

More than anything it's the same thing I like about when fighting game characters get different looks in different games. It helps show growth and advancement of the character. If they just made yet another God of War where Kratos yells and screams his way through whatever is left of Greek Mythology I'd have a hard time getting invested since the character is still the same guy he was since the PS2. Seeing him grow as a person I think really helps get me reengaged even without the change of combat system factoring in.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They already did the GoW games to death, as long as this isn't just a generic cash in on current trends I have no issue with them trying something new.

I'm also a sucker for these kinds of genre shifts in games when done well, it can breath new life into an franchise that has done it all already.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
How about we wait until the fucking game comes out?

No amount of concerned posts is going to change the game at this point.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
They already did the GoW games to death, as long as this isn't just a generic cash in on current trends I have no issue with them trying something new.

I'm also a sucker for these kinds of genre shifts in games when done well, it can breath new life into an franchise that has done it all already.
Yup my viewpoint as well.
They had 4 big games plus a few smaller ones. It was about time the series is moving into a different direction.

Might as well just wait OP or participate in the thousand existing topics.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
My bigger problem is that Kratos feels really shoved in in this game. And it isn't a real God of War game.
Would be better if it was just a new IP.
Game probably will be decent, Santa Monica is a great studio but I don't like that new direction.
Also, seems too much influenced for modern trends, GoW was unique in its own way.

For all people telling "give it a chance, it is something new"... Well I undestand it. But with Kratos, it doesn't feel something right.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the GoW-type combo masher sort of ran its course as a genre. i don't think it really fits in with what sony first party does these days, for better or worse

if the game is meh i could see them going back to the basics a la Doom later on. but personally i find this more interesting than a straightforward GoW 4

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos was a terrible character before. He was a dick to everyone, often times for little reason, and was just unrelatable. Here, they are humanizing him and it seems they're taking the same approach to the gameplay as well.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the God of War name has caché.
Of course, and I guess it kind of bugs me that the only reason this game is called GOW is because of business concerns.

I'll admit I like the fact that old angry Kratos is gone, but I just haven't felt any hype about this Last of Us looking take on the franchise.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My bigger problem is that Kratos feels really shoved in in this game. And it isn't a real God of War game.
Would be better if it was just a new IP.
Game probably will be decent, Santa Monica is a great studio but I don't like that new direction.
Also, seems too much influenced for modern trends, GoW was unique in its own way.

For all people telling "give it a chance, it is something new"... Well I undestand it. But with Kratos, it doesn't feel something right.

Kratos means Life

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Creativity and artistry is often influenced by a creators own life and passions, and given Cory had his first child (son) a few years back, it's not surprising that he's intruduced such a character in to this franchise and simultaneously given Kratos a more sombre and grounded veneer.

I'd imagine Cory is himself a much different person to how he was a decade or more ago, and it's interesting he's sort of interjecting a version of his own experiences or changes in to the game. I think it'll make for a more genuine, believable and relatable overall character portrayal and story.

In a way it's good, because four or five games later, God of War couldn't have just been the same thing again. The franchise was close to never seeing the light again after Ascension, so this re-imagining is a good compromise.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I don't like it either. I prefer the fast paced and chaotic action the series had so far. I don't like messing with another culture and mythology either. But I guess they had to make changes to make the franchise look fresh, and seeing the current trends it was either this or open world Maybe I'll end up liking it more than the previous games, who knows. If not, we still have Bayonetta 3.

I can identify with the character on so many levels.

You might want to consult a therapist about that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked Kratos, even in GOW3, so i'm glad they kept him around, I just hope there's a lot of moments where we get to annihilate satisfying bosses and let the rage take over.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Haven't really heard a lot of complaints about the mythology change. I'm glad it's not more of the same though. The series had gottten pretty stale and I think this is the right move. It's also cool to see how much Kratos has grown and changed as a character. I also find Norse mythology more interesting so there is a slight bias.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well original Kratos was kind of a shitty edge lord character that was insufferable. I was hoping they would just wash that away with the new one, but for whatever reason they want to keep using him.

It's just too bad because I can't forget its the same character that was such an smoldering douche that doesn't jive well with with this new games ultra serious tone. I just think the tone comes off silly and over produced for a game that wants to tie into the other games. It feels like overly serious dad fiction manufactured to make you care. A real try hard.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kratos was an irredeemable, insufferable, cunt. I'm glad they are going in a new direction with the character at the risk of upsetting a few dozen people that want to play as an angsty asshole.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying God of War needed a shakeup. Why couldn't they just make it a new IP? I feel like if you're going to change things this much you might as well make it something new.
Commercial reasons aside, keeping Kratos but dramatically changing his personality is a good way to make players resonate with the story a lot better than if it was just a brand new face. Although one may not necessarily like the angry, bloodthirsty Kratos, it's undeniable that he has a lot of history and we've spent years joining in on his epic quest which concludes on Olympus. Now this new game will portray him as a man seeking redemption for his past actions. To me, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if the character lacked the background that we followed for years.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, it looks to me like a pretty obvious "safe" option for them to go. It breaths fresh life into the game and lets them take it in a new direction without risking losing consumers on a new franchise/character. Basically they rebooted instead of doing something new.
The safe option would have been another high fixed camera, square/triangle mashing angry revenge quest where Kratos insanely yells at everyone and everything. Ascension was the safe option in all its glory, down to "let's do a prequel so Kratos can have his blades and familiar combos again"

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the opposite boat. Old Kratos was tolerable at best for me. When I saw the new Kratos I was shocked and immediately more interested.

Also the jumping mythology to me is not important to me. While not direct comparisons games like Assassins Creed and LoZ have gotten me used to this approach of sorts.
This is spot on to my feelings. I'm actually very excited about this entry, which i can't say i felt for 3 or ascension.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, and I guess it kind of bugs me that the only reason this game is called GOW is because of business concerns.

I'll admit I like the fact that old angry Kratos is gone, but I just haven't felt any hype about this Last of Us looking take on the franchise.

It's called God of War because Kratos is the God of War.

Calling this a Last of Us looking take on the franchise is... so incredibly simplistic and reductive but eh, that's what videogame analysis is at these days.