• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Ways to do this.

-A new character who looks like Kratos and was Kratos in his past life.
-Kratos with no memory of his past
-Kratos but the game is about a deconstruction of how he's a horrible villain and then he either ruins his son's life or his son runs away.

Don't do:

-Kratos saves a village at the end of the game and praises his son and we view him heroically.

Don't do that last one.

Please don't.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's just God of War 1 with a different skin. No different than GoW 2, 3, GoS, CoO, and Ascension. Which were all God of War 1 with different settings, some different enemies and bosses, and some different subweapons

What you're asking for is what they already did for six games.

Completely changing the protagonist and the primary weapon (and thus the primary means with which you interact with the game world) would change the game in innumerable ways. Even Ascension and the PSP games were still based around chain weapons and large, sweeping AoE attacks. Giving the player a smaller weapon like they did here while keeping the combat system more inspired by Devil May Cry would've been a pretty significant jump in another direction.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
It's not built for the hardcore, you're right. But stylish action doesn't need to be for the hardcore. That's the thing, it was always meant to make up for its shortcomings as far as moveset and control complexity by using the brutality as a means of allowing the player to feel empowered, which is fine. It knows what it is and it never apologized for that.

But this entire genre shift is just...unnecessary. Especially for those of us who like character action games and have no other options this gen.
Its necessary. You may like GoW in old way but some fans like me are not. We sicm of playing the same gameplay in 6 games already and the series is on decline after Acession. Change is needed for it. And no, you have DmC, DMC4 SE, Bayonetta 3 and maybe real DMCV, its pretty clear you other options

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Its necessary. You may like GoW in old way but some fans like me are not. We sicm of playing the same gameplay in 6 games already and the series is on decline after Acession. Change is needed for it. And no, you have DmC, DMC4 SE, Bayonetta 3 and maybe real DMCV, its pretty clear you other options

A bunch of ports of games I already played last generation do not constitute a healthy genre. DMCV does not exist and should not be treated as a counter-example, either. Come on, man.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Kratos (after the first game) is 100% a villain. He's pure evil, and the only reason he's the protagonist is that all the other gods were just as shitty as he was. At the absolute best you could call him an anti-villain, but none of his methods or motivations were pure or selfless. He doesn't get to just decide he's human again because he has a son now. He's still evil, he's still awful, and SSM trying to make us feel for him is just such a weird bit of moral blindness I honestly don't know how they're able to look at the character and not see that.
That's not completely true
He did have a family once. He tried to save his mother. He tried to save and then actually did reconcile with his brother. He decided to save mankind rather than stay reunited with his daughter.

He's a monster but also has shown compassion and a desire to help others and care for his loved ones throughout the six games
Also being invested and feeling for a character doesn't mean we also have approve or agree with their actions. Everything we've seen in the trailers and footage has shown that Kratos is a terrible father trying to turn his son into a merciless killer like he is, even as the son's humanity and upbringing struggles against doing what Kratos wants.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just couldn't get enough of Krato's brutality and brashness.

I really feel some type of way about Krato's story not being based in Greek mythology.

...but the Krato's I know doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight. That's an issue.

I feel somewhat disrespected, as a Krato's fan.

*Krato's is dead!!!

...but I'm 75% sure that I won't be able to get past the fact Krato's is a mythology hopper?
I'm not usually one to make a post correcting a spelling mistake, but what is going on here? Is autocorrect slipping those apostrophes in for some reason?

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain to me how Kratos has become a mythology hopper?

It's too much fire for me to turn away and I just got my Pro. It does feel off, but not enough for me to not get the game.

Corey Barlog did say that there's a narrative explanation for it, which I want to see. Ultimately, whatever that explanation is it has a wide gap to fill for sure, but having a popular hero with the potential arsenal and library of combat moves that are as satisfying as Kratos' even if the explanation is bad the game is gonna be amazing and a feast for the eyes.

Shadow of the Colossus piqued my interest in gaming God of War 3 got me back into gaming after YEARS of not caring about games at all and I've never looked back.

My theory:
I have to believe that somehow secretly his power/deity nature emanates from a source outside all of these mythologies to be able to operate, mostly, unencumbered through any of them and he is actually either an agent of the eternal scales of justice or he is actually a representation of the scales in some indirect way.

Last edited:

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
A bunch of ports of games I already played last generation do not constitute a healthy genre. DMCV does not exist and should not be treated as a counter-example, either. Come on, man.
So you have Bayonetta 3 ok. And new GoW genre is still action game so its some what health genre unless you truly think the hyberbole walking simulator genre like some people said about this new direction. I think our discussion just stop here because you and me just dont have the same opinion. The game already has a new direction and time will tell if people like it or not

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's not completely true

It's not completely true, but it's how I interpreted the series. A bunch of dickheads trying to out-dickhead each other, and Kratos just happened to wind up king of the pile. Nobody in that series was redeemable except Athena, and even she was basically a traitor by the end of it.

I'm not usually one to make a post correcting a spelling mistake, but what is going on here? Is autocorrect slipping those apostrophes in for some reason?

Krato's is actually the name of the proposed God of War children's cereal that was pitched internally at Sony about five years ago but never saw the light of day.

This is obviously not real.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Right! You understand where I'm coming from. When I see people disagree with our pov, I see two views.

One is people had GoW fatigue, which I totally understand and why I didn't play any of the other games past 3. The other view is people just didn't like Kratos as a person, which I understand too.

However, if you didn't like him before, you somehow believe he is less of a dick because his son is tagging along for the journey? I'm pretty sure he's still an asshole to other people, not named son.
I've never really like Kratos as a personality. He seemed angry for the sake of appealing to teenage edge lords and he really doesnt seem much different here. And how awkward of a transition would that be if he's suddenly able to have empathy and show another emotion other than anger?

It would have been way better to have made this a totally new IP, that would have been some thing worth bragging about. Now its just another "look we have kratos, buy it"

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
People in this forum (and the old place too) still seem to be under the impression that Kratos is universally hated and not a hugely popular character with millions of fans.

Just look at the people's reaction to the E3 reveal of this game when Kratos came out of the shadows. Place went nuts.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really like Kratos as a personality. He seemed angry for the sake of appealing to teenage edge lords and he really doesnt seem much different here. And how awkward of a transition would that be if he's suddenly able to have empathy and show another emotion other than anger?
But we have seen Kratos display empathy and other emotions other than anger, throughout the six games

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like the direction. We are taking character we all know and dropping into a new envirments with a kid. Only thing I am not sold in is combat. Seems to be dumbed down

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017

It would have been way better to have made this a totally new IP, that would have been some thing worth bragging about. Now its just another "look we have kratos, buy it"
But Kratos' past is very much the elephant in the room. That's the whole point of the game. There is reason this shot reminds everyone of Logan.
fdderss2qskr.png

That's why Cory wanted to make this. You are implying that Kratos is just there for marketing purposes, but Sony's publishing side wasn't even interested in another God Of War. That's until they heard the pitch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big GoW fan, but I agree. I think this is as simple as the developers getting a piece of the Viking/Norse mythology aesthetic which has been pretty trendy since Skyrim came out.

It makes no sense, and even if they explained it in-game I cant imagine a convincing reason why suddenly Norse gods exist. This game could have been any other game if the main character was different, nothing about it says God of War. They just plugged in a Kratos model and called it God of War.

It does make sense.

How can different mythologies and beliefs form in the world? How can the greeks believe in one set of gods, and the egyptians another? Why is it such a stretch that all these gods exist and rule over a certain area?

Kratos literally got up, left Greece and went to Scandanavia.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Ways to do this.

-A new character who looks like Kratos and was Kratos in his past life.
-Kratos with no memory of his past
-Kratos but the game is about a deconstruction of how he's a horrible villain and then he either ruins his son's life or his son runs away.

Don't do:

-Kratos saves a village at the end of the game and praises his son and we view him heroically.

Don't do that last one.

Please don't.

So, there's no way for you for Kratos to be secluded and repent of his past life? Because that's probably what's going to happen (it doesn't mean he has to be a hero by the end tho).

Oct 26, 2017
UK
As an old school RE fan i understand the pains of a beloved series leaving behind all the things that you loved about it.

However for me personally i never touched a god of war game before this because they didn't interest me at all, but this one does.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
But Kratos' past is very much the elephant in the room. That's the whole point of the game. There is reason this shot reminds everyone of Logan.
fdderss2qskr.png

That's why Cory wanted to make this. You are implying that Kratos is just there for marketing purposes, but Sony's publishing side wasn't even interested in another God Of War. That's until they heard the pitch.
Easily my favorite shot in that trailer. Really says a lot about where the story could go

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you have Bayonetta 3 ok. And new GoW genre is still action game so its some what health genre unless you truly think the hyberbole walking simulator genre like some people said about this new direction. I think our discussion just stop here because you and me just dont have the same opinion. The game already has a new direction and time will tell if people like it or not

Bayonetta is an even worse character than Kratos and I have zero interest in ever playing another game starring her, so that's not much value either. As for this game, I don't think it's a walking simulator, no. I still don't like it, but I'm not going to stoop that low.

I just don't know how people can look at this game and draw parallels between it and Logan. Logan was a good guy who just happened to be a jerk. Kratos is an evil, selfish monster and wasn't even good before Ares fucked his life up.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
It does make sense.

How can different mythologies and beliefs form in the world? How can the greeks believe in one set of gods, and the egyptians another? Why is it such a stretch that all these gods exist and rule over a certain area?

Kratos literally got up, left Greece and went to Scandanavia.
I don't buy that, its not convincing and feels like a lazy explanation. If we're really going to nit pick I wouldn't consider something a God if it only has "rule" in one country. Someone in this universe has to be wrong in their beliefs meaning their god doesn't exist otherwise whats to stop someone from believing in the God of Popcorn and having that be real.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is an even worse character than Kratos and I have zero interest in ever playing another game starring her, so that's not much value either. As for this game, I don't think it's a walking simulator, no. I still don't like it, but I'm not going to stoop that low.

I just don't know how people can look at this game and draw parallels between it and Logan. Logan was a good guy who just happened to be a jerk. Kratos is an evil, selfish monster and wasn't even good before Ares fucked his life up.
The notion is the same: being confronted with his past, what he once was, maybe still is deep down (ie the Spartan rage meter burning over a simple slight)

Kratos is trying to prevent his son from suffering the same fate as on that vase, to end that cycle of father and son and vengeance and violence, but maybe he can't

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big GoW fan, but I agree. I think this is as simple as the developers getting a piece of the Viking/Norse mythology aesthetic which has been pretty trendy since Skyrim came out.

It makes no sense, and even if they explained it in-game I cant imagine a convincing reason why suddenly Norse gods exist. This game could have been any other game if the main character was different, nothing about it says God of War. They just plugged in a Kratos model and called it God of War.
Since you are not a fan you don't know this, but idea to explore different mythologies has not only existed outside the games, but within the games themselves there have been hints that other mythologies, including Egyptian and Christan, not only exists but that people have successfully traveled between them.

This is not at all out of left field like some of you think.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The notion is the same: being confronted with his past, what he once was, maybe still is deep down (ie the Spartan rage meter burning over a simple slight)

Kratos is trying to prevent his son from suffering the same fate as on that vase, to end that cycle of father and son and vengeance and violence, but maybe he can't

Which is why the logical path for this story to take would be Kratos acknowledging that he can't be redeemed and teaching his son to NOT be like him before dying, and the protagonist role passing on to a grown up Atreus.

But Barlog has already said that's not happening, so we're kind of stuck. :/

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That's what concerns me.
What if they decide to make Kratos kill his son?
Just think in this scenario, if happens something and Kratos realizes that he can't stop the cycle and kill his son so he doesn't need to pass the same things he did,like "I know what im son, and know what you will be".
Other possibility is Kratos dying in the end and his son assuming his position in future games

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
If it was of similar mould too the previous GOW games then i wouldn't have been interested, The fact it's a new setting, New way to play makes it exciting again, They'll nail it no doubt about it. It became stale and needed this new direction.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos was a loving husband and father, who was also a Spartan. And as a Spartan he was expected to live a warrior's life and win impossible battles. Ares exploited this, and his pride, to turn him into a killing machine. Eventually, tricking him into killing his own family so he wouldn't have any worldly bonds left. Kratos' anger is fuelled by the regret of this heinous act. He is haunted by it.

In this segment of the final fight in the first God of War, he is quite literally trying to save his family from himself.

It's a proper Greek tragedy.

All this to say that Kratos is still haunted by is past. Logan is also haunted by past, regrets of not doing things differently. (Logan spolier in coming) To hammer that home, in movie Xavier and the kind family that takes them in brutally killed by the younger clone Logan. Quite literally facing his younger foolish self.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Logan regularly loses his shit and kills everyone with knives that are bonded to him physically.

Then he feels bad about what he's done, and resents the power that made him what he is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos was a loving husband and father, who was also a Spartan. And as a Spartan he was expected to live a warrior's life and win impossible battles. Ares exploited this, and his pride, to turn him into a killing machine. Eventually, tricking him into killing his own family so he wouldn't have any worldly bonds left. Kratos' anger is fuelled by the regret of this heinous act. He is haunted by it.

I don't care if he loved his family or not. Evil people can still love - look at Kingpin in Daredevil. His relationship with Vanessa just served to reinforce how horrible and awful a person he was because he DID possess the capacity to care about someone while still committing unspeakably evil and cruel acts on a constant basis.

Kratos is not a tragic, fallen hero - he's a selfish, self-centered monster who allowed his rage to cloud his judgment and turn an initially justified revenge quest against one particular deity into a petty, spiteful fit of genocide that lasted well after he accomplished his original goal and cost the lives of millions of innocent people.

Kratos should be a cautionary tale, not an aspirational or inspirational protagonist.

Oct 27, 2017
I played the trilogy over the summer and i guess i just never too put off by Kratos' character. In fact i kind of liked him. To me, he was just an extension of the over-the-top world that already exists in Greek Mythology lore, filled with ego, one-eyed cyclops' and murder. He doesn't need to embody all the good qualities of normal human beings because, well, he's not a normal human being. So i'm with you in your fandom of him.

But i'm also fine with the new grounded direction they seem to be taking it. Maybe he'll still be brash and unapologetic and they just haven't promoted that side yet. Or maybe we'll even get a detailed reason for why he has regressed in his attitude. But explaining all that + explaining how he's gone from Greek mythology to Norse will definitely be something i'm looking forward to.

Oct 25, 2017

Logan is not a good guy.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
The series was getting way too stale, it needed this shakeup. I don't think I'll miss mashing square square triangle on <insert Greek God> any time soon tbh.

Hope the gameplay is a bit more varied, and also places a stronger emphasis on the puzzles. Dad/beard Kratos doesn't bother me at all, maybe with a son his character will be less of a piece of shit.

Maybe, but I don't think so. The latter half of Ascension, and everything after acquiring the Gauntlet of Zeus in CoO reminded me that these games are a ton of fun. The shortcomings are poor technical implementation, like the godawful rolls and parries in Ascension, poor weapon systems... in Ascension, and underwhelming subweapons like in GoW3. The scenarios are often pretty weak in later games, but these are usually forgivable if the gameplay is satisfactorily smooth and visceral.

I have next to no interest in this new God of War game because it looks like a dime a dozen third person action game with a ton of polish, I guess?

PS: Ascension's like the prime example of this. Tons of awful systems and combat scenarios you're forced into in the first half of the game (poorly tuned parry timing, a non-invincible roll where you're tossed into closed quarters with several opponents) - Enough to the extent that I don't recommend playing it just to get to the better second half - And that second half isn't like that at all. The parts of the game that don't work aren't pushed on you so heavily, you're given big, wide spaces to fight in, you get to take part in a classic God of War world-altering puzzle set piece.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean you can draw parallels because they're obviously going to be telling a similar type of story with similar themes?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if he loved his family or not. Evil people can still love - look at Kingpin in Daredevil. His relationship with Vanessa just served to reinforce how horrible and awful a person he was because he DID possess the capacity to care about someone while still committing unspeakably evil and cruel acts on a constant basis.

Kratos is not a tragic, fallen hero - he's a selfish, self-centered monster who allowed his rage to cloud his judgment and turn an initially justified revenge quest against one particular deity into a petty, spiteful fit of genocide that lasted well after he accomplished his original goal and cost the lives of millions of innocent people.

Kratos should be a cautionary tale, not an aspirational or inspirational protagonist.
I would argue it was Zeus' paranoia that lead to all that. Why did Zeus not rid Kratos of his memories and torment like he was promised? Instead Zeus, like his father Cronus, tried to kill him because he feared that Kratos will usurp his throne.

Never has anyone claimed that Kratos should be inspirational. That has nothing to do with anything. If anything, by the end of this game Kratos mythos will probably be reaffirmed when he triggers Ragnarok. However, he is a tragic figure. And those are fun to deconstruct like this game is doing; like Logan does. And like Logan reaffirms Wolverine as hero in his final act, I except this game to reaffirm Kratos as a figure doomed to destroy and bring forth chaos.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this story is going to be an arc of how Kratos is forever cursed to be a destroyer and his battle with his internal rage. You can add a sense of pathos that way without throwing out his past. He's also had a soft spot for kids in several of the games, which is why the relationship with Atreus makes sense. He wants to raise someone strong and I wouldn't be surprised if some of father Kratos' lessons are going to end up leading Atreus down a bad path. There's a lot you can do with the character and it's an interesting place to begin.

Oct 27, 2017
Just playing Ghost Of Sparta and Chains of Olympus should tell you why Kratos hated the gods. As a child they stole his brother from him because they believe that a marked warrior will destroy olympus. The marked warrior was thought to be Deimos because he had a birth mark like Kratos's tattoo. Then he later found out that they did not kill Deimos but instead tortured him. Then he was killed infront of him after finding him a couple of minutes later.

Then you have his daughter which he found and wanted to stay with but could not because a goddess wantwd to destroy the world.

You also have the gods making him kill his mother by turning her into a monster.

The rage was building inside of him since he was a kid and it really makes it more tragic. If the god did what they promosed then the destruction of olympus would not have happened.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this story is going to be an arc of how Kratos is forever cursed to be a destroyer and his battle with his internal rage. You can add a sense of pathos that way without throwing out his past. He's also had a soft spot for kids in several of the games, which is why the relationship with Atreus makes sense. He wants to raise someone strong and I wouldn't be surprised if some of father Kratos' lessons are going to end up leading Atreus down a bad path. There's a lot you can do with the character and it's an interesting place to begin.

But why do another trilogy if the entire point is "Kratos breaks everything"? How much more blood can really be squeezed out of that rock? The best course of action is to kill off him quickly and move on to Atreus in the protagonist role trying to right the wrongs of his terrible dad rather than continually justifying and rewarding Kratos for being an incorrigible monster.

At some point the basic truth that Kratos' continued existence is really bad for the world on a fairly fundamental level needs to be addressed, and there's only one way that can end.

Oct 27, 2017
But why do another trilogy if the entire point is "Kratos breaks everything"? How much more blood can really be squeezed out of that rock? The best course of action is to kill off him quickly and move on to Atreus in the protagonist role trying to right the wrongs of his terrible dad rather than continually justifying and rewarding Kratos for being an incorrigible monster.

At some point the basic truth that Kratos' continued existence is really bad for the world on a fairly fundamental level needs to be addressed, and there's only one way that can end.
Why cant we have games about characters doing bad things? We have plenty of heroic character IMO.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why cant we have games about characters doing bad things? We have plenty of heroic character IMO.

Because Kratos being a destructive bastard is boring and repetitive? We've been doing it for six games now. If people are willing to call out the gameplay for getting stale, then others should be allowed to call out Kratos himself for being the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Because Kratos being a destructive bastard is boring and repetitive? We've been doing it for six games now. If people are willing to call out the gameplay for getting stale, then others should be allowed to call out Kratos himself for being the same.
So you want us to play as a generic good guy instead of a bad guy trying to live with a curse?

How is that not generic?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like your issue is with the continued existence of Kratos as a character no matter how it's handled or explored. If that's your problem with the direction than I can't see the series addressing that in the forseeable future.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos can't die, the fact that he's immortal is a huge part of the character.

God of War 3's post credits scene even sets up the new game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like your issue is with the continued existence of Kratos as a character no matter how it's handled or explored. If that's your problem with the direction than I can't see the series addressing that in the forseeable future.

I know it's hard to think about the series without him, but he's as replaceable as anyone else. There are other pantheons and other gods of war that could be main characters for a game like this. At some point, Kratos' story needs to end. It should've ended at 3.

If Uncharted can write Nathan Drake out and survive, God of War can live without Kratos. Easily.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The change in mythology and in having a son present opportunities to push the character of Kratos into a new direction - from what little we've seen, it looks like the shake up needed to justify keeping him as the protagonist.

Oct 27, 2017
So you want us to play as a generic good guy instead of a bad guy trying to live with a curse?

How is that not generic?

This is kind of where i stand. I mean, he wasn't bad enough of a character that people stopped buying the game. I welcome the point of view of someone not morally heroic.

Jamie Lannister is one of the worst human beings i've seen in entertainment....but I really enjoy his story arch. I think it shows that you don't have to be the good guy to have an interesting story told.

Oct 27, 2017
My theory:
I have to believe that somehow secretly his power/deity nature emanates from a source outside all of these mythologies to be able to operate, mostly, unencumbered through any of them and he is actually either an agent of the eternal scales of justice or he is actually a representation of the scales in some indirect way
I like your theory

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The change in mythology and in having a son present opportunities to push the character of Kratos into a new direction - from what little we've seen, it looks like the shake up needed to justify keeping him as the protagonist.

I respectfully disagree, honestly. If you have to rewrite and completely redesign a character at almost every level just to justify keeping him in a game, you might as well just make a new character entirely, you know?

I like Chris Judge, I think he's a really cool dude and I'm glad he's getting voiceover work. I just wish the series actually moved the hell on.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I respectfully disagree, honestly. If you have to rewrite and completely redesign a character at almost every level just to justify keeping him in a game, you might as well just make a new character entirely, you know?

I like Chris Judge, I think he's a really cool dude and I'm glad he's getting voiceover work. I just wish the series actually moved the hell on.

But how do you know this to be the case ? We know next to nothing about the story or the character motives, and from what little we've seen he's still the same Kratos - they're still retaining everything that came before.