• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Swedish, and I speak English daily for work (and I also did at university, where all classes were in English), so I'm gonna say yes. Do I have flawless pronunciation that would fool a native English speaker? No. But I'm more or less fluent with an accent.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
is it true that can happen?

the reason i ask is because i work with a serbian lady who is probably 40, and has been over here (england) for 15 years. she's not part of a serbian community, her hubby is english, her kids only speak english, and she never really goes home because she doesn't really have any family. when i asked her once if she forgets her own language she said yes

i remember asking her what a bucket was in serbian... and she couldn't remember

I'm not sure about other languages, but this is most definitely true for Turkish. Turkish is a weak language, it has too few words compared to Latin and German based languages. It used to have Arabic replacement loanwords but now it doesn't, that makes it insufficient to explain yourself. When you learn English as a Turkish speaker, you learn brand new words with specific meanings, in your mind those tend to replace Turkish words you know with multiple meanings. After a couple years in a foreign land those words would disappear completely from your memory.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
I'm not sure about other languages, but this is most definitely true for Turkish. Turkish is a weak language, it has too few words compared to Latin and German based languages. It used to have Arabic replacement loanwords but now it doesn't, that makes it insufficient to explain yourself. When you learn English as a Turkish speaker, you learn brand new words with specific meanings, in your mind those tend to replace Turkish words you know with multiple meanings. After a couple years in a foreign land those words would disappear completely from your memory.

fascinating insight... thanks for the reply

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Yes, and I have almost lost all of my native accent when I speak English as I've been speaking American English for nearly 20 years. I want it back to be honest. When I started learning, I was so embarrassed on making sure that Americans understood me and now I feel like I've lost a part of my identity when I speak in English. I try to force it back but it sounds fake and not natural. Thankfully, I spend most of the time speaking Spanish so I still speak like I always have in Spanish.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Sonetimes i can speak very fast, other times i feel like "mi italia, pizza pasta mandolino, you fil mi bro?"
It can be frustrating, i also don't get a lot of chances to have a conversation.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I can but it's pretty comical. I had to learn English in a few months for immigration reasons and I did it by watching a bunch of 70s crime movies on repeat. So my vocabulary used to be incredibly dated and offensive even though that was unintentional. I later developed my vocabulary by working for a few years as a bartender in a hotel with an international clientele. My accent is absolutely horrendous though and I eventually discovered that the easiest way to get people to understand me is to not even try to pronounce words the right way (and fail miserably) but instead embrace my caricature of a French accent. So I always go full "Ze", even though I know in my soul that it's wrong. But hey, most people seem to find it somewhat charming.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I can speak it, albeit with an accent but I don't really care. Then again, I have to speak English because some of my classes are in English because of international students

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
As an native English speaker I found it amazing that people can read and write perfect english but rarely speak it. When I lived in Japan I would always just write things down if I had to ask a stranger a question. You learn quickly that the answer of no, too do you speak english does not mean they can't communicate perfectly in the written word. I don't think I could ever do that with any language, everything is just sound inside my head.
This is easily explained by how English is taught in formal setting; text first. This is applicable to all formal teaching of a foreign language, first you read the word and then try to pronounce it. This is why there/they're/their -type of typos are more of a problem with native speakers, because it's the other way round.

And to answer the question in the OP: Yes, somewhat.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Enough for my friends to understand me but I have the thickest accent and sometimes I forget how to speak so I stop talking mid-sentence.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Pretty decent. My accent got a lot better since I started living with my girlfriend and don't really speak my first language anymore outside of meeting with parents once in a while.

My accent is still there, but it doesn't stop people from understanding me. People have like no idea where my accent is from though, usually. I've gotten anything from Australian/English to Russian. Sometimes people don't even notice my accent so I guess it's okay. It really depends on what words I'm saying though, can't hide it sometimes. I'm getting there tho, give me a year or two and I'll blend in enough to have people stop asking me "Why are you dating a Canadian girlfriend instead of someone from your own race?"

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Reading it: no problem.
Writing it: fine for the most part.
Listening: usually no problem.
Speaking: train wreck.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I'm fluent with hints of an accent. I've spent a month and a half in Australia years ago and I could get by with no issues. I also had family from Canada visit mine and had no problems in communitating with my uncle's wife who is a native speaker.

I've been learning English since primary school, but the thing that really kickstarted my fluency was reading translated manga. No joke. I would sit down with a dictionary and note every new word, and sometimes try to guess the meaning from context. I've spent days doing this. Then in time I simply moved on to English subtitled entertainment, like movies or video games and that helped a lot too. When it comes to online, I browse almost exclusively in English. And since I work in merchant navy I use it professionally too.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's very good. I'm frequently praised on my english. I can converse with ease and read complex, technical writing.

HealerKirby

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, I think, but not yet to the level of fluency that I want to achieve. I work as an English teacher in my country so improving proficiency is one of the responsibilities anyway.

Watching a lot of American reality shows & sitcoms during teenage years seemed to help me with listening but not speaking. It was not until I sit down with a pronunciation book & practice each sound every day did I finally manage to speak a little bit better. Maybe looking in detail the differences between the pronunciation of your mother tongue and the language you want to grasp can help quicken the learning process. Not many English textbooks give enough information on this unfortunately - I recommend "Learner English" by Michael Swan & Bernard Smith although this book is designed more for teachers, not learners.

More realistically speaking, my proficiency was enough for working back at home, but I was struggling for the first month studying and living in the UK. Well, partly because I'm living with an Irish guy & an American girl who talks a mile a minute lol. Every time we have a group discussion I can see that my speech rate is significantly slower, which may disrupt the flow of conversations, so I tend to sit and listen instead. No issue with one-to-one conversation though.

I'm Swedish, and I speak English daily for work (and I also did at university, where all classes were in English), so I'm gonna say yes. Do I have flawless pronunciation that would fool a native English speaker? No. But I'm more or less fluent with an accent.

What do you consider a model of "flawless pronunciation"? I have to ask this question because all of my professors here in the UK are advocating for getting rid of the term "native English speaker". This is based on the fact that, for some countries like Sweden, people are already speaking English on a daily basis (just like what you have described) so there is no point in dividing between "native" and "non-native".

I went to an English teaching conference in the UK a few weeks ago and one of the forums was on non-native speakers. With teachers of different nationalities sitting in the same auditorium, someone finally pointed at the elephant in the room and said that "nativeness=whiteness". I have to agree because in most Asian countries, as long as you look white, you can pass as a native speaker. Nevertheless, that was just his hypothesis and this was what he actually found out after a study among students who are learning English:

He let the students listen to the audio without any image of the speakers first. The result was that the students perceived the level of "nativeness" nearly the same for each speaker. Then, he showed another set of recordings but this time in video form so the students can look at the face of the people they were listening to. Based on the assumption mentioned earlier, the results were understandable for the Caucasian & Asian speakers (apparently I'm at a disadvantage lol). However, he did not expect to see the rate for POC actually went up.

I just think all of these findings are really fascinating and want to share them so everyone can discuss ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I think, but not yet to the level of fluency that I want to achieve. I work as an English teacher in my country so improving proficiency is one of the responsibilities anyway.

Watching a lot of American reality shows & sitcoms during teenage years seemed to help me with listening but not speaking. It was not until I sit down with a pronunciation book & practice each sound every day did I finally manage to speak a little bit better. Maybe looking in detail the differences between the pronunciation of your mother tongue and the language you want to grasp can help quicken the learning process. Not many English textbooks give enough information on this unfortunately - I recommend "Learner English" by Michael Swan & Bernard Smith although this book is designed more for teachers, not learners.

More realistically speaking, my proficiency was enough for working back at home, but I was struggling for the first month studying and living in the UK. Well, partly because I'm living with an Irish guy & an American girl who talks a mile a minute lol. Every time we have a group discussion I can see that my speech rate is significantly slower, which may disrupt the flow of conversations, so I tend to sit and listen instead. No issue with one-to-one conversation though.

What do you consider a model of "flawless pronunciation"? I have to ask this question because all of my professors here in the UK are advocating for getting rid of the term "native English speaker". This is based on the fact that, for some countries like Sweden, people are already speaking English on a daily basis (just like what you have described) so there is no point in dividing between "native" and "non-native".

I went to an English teaching conference in the UK a few weeks ago and one of the forums was on non-native speakers. With teachers of different nationalities sitting in the same auditorium, someone finally pointed at the elephant in the room and said that "nativeness=whiteness". I have to agree because in most Asian countries, as long as you look white, you can pass as a native speaker. Nevertheless, that was just his hypothesis and this was what he actually found out after a study among students who are learning English:

He let the students listen to the audio without any image of the speakers first. The result was that the students perceived the level of "nativeness" nearly the same for each speaker. Then, he showed another set of recordings but this time in video form so the students can look at the face of the people they were listening to. Based on the assumption mentioned earlier, the results were understandable for the Caucasian & Asian speakers (apparently I'm at a disadvantage lol). However, he did not expect to see the rate for POC actually went up.

I just think all of these findings are really fascinating and want to share them so everyone can discuss ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

I guess by "flawless pronunciation" I just mean that someone from the UK or America wouldn't be able to tell that my native language is something other than English. I'm not there, and probably never will be.

But I do speak it effortlessly. I don't have to think about it, I don't have to translate from Swedish in my head, I just speak English.

HealerKirby

Nov 1, 2017
I guess by "flawless pronunciation" I just mean that someone from the UK or America wouldn't be able to tell that my native language is something other than English. I'm not there, and probably never will be.

But I do speak it effortlessly. I don't have to think about it, I don't have to translate from Swedish in my head, I just speak English.

Have you learned any other foreign language? Someone once told me that you "own" a language when you start dreaming in it. That is not necessarily true though. I started having dreams in English after 3-4 months living in an English-speaking environment, but I feel like I cannot say that I "own" it.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I've been living and going to school in NZ for 10 years. My vocabulary would probably be about average and my reading speed slightly above average were I a native speaker. I can understand just about anything and I think in English >90% of the time – using the language feels natural and doesn't tire me out. So yes, I would consider myself fluent.

I do have a noticeable accent though, and my grammar might sound a bit weird at times, but it does not hinder communication. What limits my ability to talk about complex topics is my knowledge of those topics rather than my mastery of the language, just like it would be for native speakers.

There's still room to improve of course. I should read more and I should try to improve my accent (which would be quite hard as I'd need to undo >10 years of bad habits)... But all of that is on the back burner for now as I have been learning another foreign language for the past 2 years.

Kamaji

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö, Sweden.
Not fluent. I have a working knowledge, but I definitely lack in grammar, syntax and pronounciation. It's become much worse post high school.

I think the best thing about english is that native speakers are very tolerant of mistakes. If I made the same errors in Swedish (my native language) or French it would definitely be used against me at some point (ridicule, or as an argument to dismiss what I write or say).

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I speak it fluently as you can be in most cases. Of course I have a much higher vocabulary when it is written (but write a lot of grammar mistakes!) but once an English native (As in first language) speaks to me I switch automatically hiding my thick accent and speak with a good flow. I try to copy the speech type of the native.

For some reason I speak a bit clumsily with my New Zealand partner. Probably because I am letting my guard down and more relaxed. It is a language I am more comfortable with than my native tongue in most cases (grew up in a mixed household which fucked up my mother tongue royally)

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
English proficiency has a bit of a lopsided expectation, in the way that it's effectively become the universal, modern language for making yourself understood when meeting strangers, wherever they come from.

I say lopsided both because of how odd it is that english became this universal tool for communication over other languages, but also that there is an idea that english is super-easy to learn, which may not be the case depending on your native tongue.

I'm from Scandinavia, and been more or less effectively fluent in english since I was 12. Whether that comes down to the school system I went through, my own inclinations, or the way that the structure of my native language is so similar to english, I don't know.

The idea that english is easy to learn isn't necessarily true for everyone, and the specific hurdles of learning another language varies depending on how much the english language technically deviates from your native tongue, but also comes down to how willing you are to embrace a new mode of thinking.

I think there is a reason that certain thoughts get processed in english in my mind, whereas other thoughts get worked out in my native tongue. Languages are a bit like clothes; they all cover your body, but they do so in different ways, and vary wildly in their specific expressions, and the mood they convey.

In general, I don't think anyone should feel bad about their proficiency in english, and if you're at a level of proficiency when you primarily worry about whether or not you have an accent, you effectively don't have a problem.

Last time I was in Italy - where english proficiency (even among young people) is *very* poor - I could communicate everything I effectively wanted to say through the 30-50 italian words I taught myself a week before going, and filled in the rest with expressive pantomime and looking up words or visual concepts on my smartphone.

I am by nature an introvert, and I assume most people on this forum are as well. I am mentioning this because most introverts have an innate fear of leaping into the unknown and "winging it", but allowing yourself to do so is key to communication.

Fumbling about with the five words you taught yourself prior to your vacation in Spain is essentially the same as engaging with someone on an academic level. It's ultimately about being open, willing to genuinely communicate your voice, and assuming that the person you're talking with is a fully realized person - just like you - who is perhaps also struggling with being properly understood.

Extroverts are generally very good at "winging it", which - I think - tends to make them more socially successful, regardless of their particular skill in picking up other languages.

In this regard, I think introverts should pay more attention, and work towards being more willing to let go and improvise. Introverts are overly worried about doing wrong; to the extent that it actively hurts their own growth.

I say this as an introvert, who is slowly learning to be more open to the skills that extroverts in my life possess. I spent 15-20 years resenting their nature, and it didn't give me much of anything. So, as I get older - and hopefully more capable of thinking in different modes and states - I could perhaps see what they're doing socially, and apply it to my own life regardless of how I feel about them.

I am mentioning this little tangent because language - and the willingness to communicate - is so much more than the words you use. If you want to communicate - and just want to know the location of a good restaurant, or refill your car - you can do so completely in pantomime.

But I think it does take a certain shift in mindset to be willing to communicate - regardless of your current proficiency. And that is the biggest hurdle to learning any language.

If you can be at peace with the fact that you're just another nobody on this planet, and that people you come in contact most definitely will have an opinion about you - and you're ok with that eternal ambiguity - you have, I think, a fantastic starting-point to jump into communicating in any language that interests you.

Cheers/love.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you learned any other foreign language? Someone once told me that you "own" a language when you start dreaming in it. That is not necessarily true though. I started having dreams in English after 3-4 months living in an English-speaking environment, but I feel like I cannot say that I "own" it.

Not really. I somewhat speak and understand German, but not nearly at the level I'm at with English. I also understand Norwegian and Danish (the latter not as well), but that's just a result of them being very similar to Swedish. I can't actually speak them.

Not sure I've ever dreamt in English. But I do think in it, I'm doing that right now and whenever I'm reading or posting on Era and other English-language sites. English is deeply enough engrained in me that I naturally switch to it, without having to use Swedish as a layer in-between.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I can write properly, if I want to. But it's the internet, so why bother. I'm gonna keep abusing "tho" like there is no tomorrow.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
English proficiency has a bit of a lopsided expectation, in the way that it's effectively become the universal, modern language for making yourself understood when meeting strangers, wherever they come from.

I say lopsided both because of how odd it is that english became this universal tool for communication over other languages, but also that there is an idea that english is super-easy to learn, which may not be the case depending on your native tongue.

I'm from Scandinavia, and been more or less effectively fluent in english since I was 12. Whether that comes down to the school system I went through, my own inclinations, or the way that the structure of my native language is so similar to english, I don't know.

The idea that english is easy to learn isn't necessarily true for everyone, and the specific hurdles of learning another language varies depending on how much the english language technically deviates from your native tongue, but also comes down to how willing you are to embrace a new mode of thinking.

I think there is a reason that certain thoughts get processed in english in my mind, whereas other thoughts get worked out in my native tongue. Languages are a bit like clothes; they all cover your body, but they do so in different ways, and vary wildly in their specific expressions, and the mood they convey.

In general, I don't think anyone should feel bad about their proficiency in english, and if you're at a level of proficiency when you primarily worry about whether or not you have an accent, you effectively don't have a problem.

Last time I was in Italy - where english proficiency (even among young people) is *very* poor - I could communicate everything I effectively wanted to say through the 30-50 italian words I taught myself a week before going, and filled in the rest with expressive pantomime and looking up words or visual concepts on my smartphone.

I am by nature an introvert, and I assume most people on this forum are as well. I am mentioning this because most introverts have an innate fear of leaping into the unknown and "winging it", but allowing yourself to do so is key to communication.

Fumbling about with the five words you taught yourself prior to your vacation in Spain is essentially the same as engaging with someone on an academic level. It's ultimately about being open, willing to genuinely communicate your voice, and assuming that the person you're talking with is a fully realized person - just like you - who is perhaps also struggling with being properly understood.

Extroverts are generally very good at "winging it", which - I think - tends to make them more socially successful, regardless of their particular skill in picking up other languages.

In this regard, I think introverts should pay more attention, and work towards being more willing to let go and improvise. Introverts are overly worried about doing wrong; to the extent that it actively hurts their own growth.

I say this as an introvert, who is slowly learning to be more open to the skills that extroverts in my life possess. I spent 15-20 years resenting their nature, and it didn't give me much of anything. So, as I get older - and hopefully more capable of thinking in different modes and states - I could perhaps see what they're doing socially, and apply it to my own life regardless of how I feel about them.

I am mentioning this little tangent because language - and the willingness to communicate - is so much more than the words you use. If you want to communicate - and just want to know the location of a good restaurant, or refill your car - you can do so completely in pantomime.

But I think does take a certain shift in mindset to be willing to communicate - regardless of your current proficiency.

A HUGE reason, and why people in most other European countries generally aren't as fluent in English, is that we don't dub stuff here in Scandinavia. Everything is just subtitled, not counting stuff made for small children. I've been hearing and reading English since I was very young, in movies, TV shows and games.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
So, a question for native English speakers.

Do you prefer non-native English speakers to talk with an accent or do you prefer us to emulate an American accent?

Native English speaker from the UK here. I don't think you should ever try to hide your native accent. As long as you can be understood clearly, it's not a problem. Plenty of non-natives speak English with an outrageous accent, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I find the variety in accents fascinating and it gives people character.

On the flipside, when I was travelling in the early 2000s, I spent 6 months in New Zealand during the ski season. I got chatting to a fellow snowboarder on a ski lift. It turned out that he was staying in the same hostel as me so we spent the day riding together. Later that night I asked what part of America he was from. I was shocked when he told me he was Danish. His English was flawless and he said he had tried to emulate the accent since he was young (and had done an amazing job obviously). In a weird way, I felt like I'd been tricked.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
My job is to give legal aid. And sometimes there are customers who are foreign and only speak (broken) English. I can make do. Sometimes its really hard to translate legal terms in English, especially when customers aren't proficient in English and they don't understand what I'm saying. But I try.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
A HUGE reason, and why people in most other European countries generally aren't as fluent in English, is that we don't dub stuff here in Scandinavia. Everything is just subtitled, not counting stuff made for small children. I've been hearing and reading English since I was very young, in movies, TV shows and games.

It's one aspect, sure. The good news - in a sorta global sense - is that culture moves so much quicker than institutions. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of Italian children grow up to be just as fluent in english as any other cosmopolitan country, simply because so much of what we deem important is now online, where english is (perhaps) even more pervasive and valued than it is offline.

My shoot-from-the-hip prognosis is that the next generation - who will grow up in a world that is so abundantly connected that there effectively is no escape from it if you want to live in the contemporary western world - will mostly likely be highly proficient in english in terms of writing and reading-comprehension, but will lack verbal communication skills (for a variety of reasons).

The generation that grew up with the Internet and primarily learned english (and other skills) from it is a bit of early data on what may come in the future, as the Internet becomes more tamed, and avoiding things you don't immediately want to engage with becomes even more easy.

A big part of learning any language is the willingness to step out of your comfort-zone, and use tools you don't have 100% control over. Introverts are particularly "at-risk" in this regard, because their intrinsic sensibilities often results in them not training their active, verbal communication skills, and instead fall back on relying on communication through passive mediums like writing, where flaws can be googled and fixed.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might hinder you if your wish is to be more verbally fluent in another language. Engaging with another language in this manner is also - in my opinion - highly valuable in the way that it can open up aspects and qualities of your personality that you didn't think you had before you tried.

There is nothing quite like surprising yourself, and especially when it comes to your idea of who and what you are, and what you think you are capable of.

Engaging with a foreign language can often open up these pockets of possibilities because language, as a method of communication, is intrinsically tied to culture (in terms of history, politics, interpersonal humor, general disposition, "frame-of-mind" and outlook on the world).

Because of this, being willing to perform yourself in another language can be very transformative, and I think a lot of introverts are at risk of missing out, because they are so worried that they don't have the grammar down, or say the wrong word, that they miss the essence and magic of communicating with a stranger.

I guess it's a bit like dancing. A lot of people don't want to dance because they see in themselves a lack of skill, and anticipate some kind of penalty if they don't dance well, when chances are that you're the only one paying attention.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I know English better than my own language. (I'm Finnish)

Like, it's lot more common for me to know what a certain word or phrase means in English than in Finnish.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Not fluent. I have a working knowledge, but I definitely lack in grammar, syntax and pronounciation. It's become much worse post high school.

I think the best thing about english is that native speakers are very tolerant of mistakes. If I made the same errors in Swedish (my native language) or French it would definitely be used against me at some point (ridicule, or as an argument to dismiss what I write or say).

Native English speakers are very used to hearing the language spoken by non-natives (as well as other major dialects, especially RP but also Irish/Scottish/Indian/Australian). At least in America, the stereotype of Americans being reflexively intolerant of an accent they can't immediately decode isn't really true in my experience. Even the most sheltered people will make an effort to bridge the communication gap.

English speakers tend to get much more upset and derisive when they hear other native speakers making what they perceive as mistakes. We basically have one thread a week about "English grammar/spelling/pronunciation mistakes that annoy you".

Deleted member 40010

Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
I'm Finnish and I speak Rally English quite fluently. I have an accent and make grammar mistakes all the time but I don't care, that's my way of speaking English and people seem to understand me, which is the most important thing.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is it true that can happen?

the reason i ask is because i work with a serbian lady who is probably 40, and has been over here (england) for 15 years. she's not part of a serbian community, her hubby is english, her kids only speak english, and she never really goes home because she doesn't really have any family. when i asked her once if she forgets her own language she said yes

i remember asking her what a bucket was in serbian... and she couldn't remember
I can totally see this happening if one is honestly cut off from their native language for 15 years. Half a year without speaking your native language and you start taking an extra second or two to form a sentence. After a year sometimes you find yourself just freezing trying to say something in your own language, like, it's hard to describe, words and structures just escape you. And just forgetting words? Happens all the time, every day. These days I forget words not only in my native language, but in all the languages I speak. Spent like 20 seconds today trying to remember the English word for "huître"...

Kamaji

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö, Sweden.
Native English speakers are very used to hearing the language spoken by non-natives (as well as other major dialects, especially RP but also Irish/Scottish/Indian/Australian). At least in America, the stereotype of Americans being reflexively intolerant of an accent they can't immediately decode isn't really true in my experience. Even the most sheltered people will make an effort to bridge the communication gap.

English speakers tend to get much more upset and derisive when they hear other native speakers making what they perceive as mistakes. We basically have one thread a week about "English grammar/spelling/pronunciation mistakes that annoy you".
I definitely agree on the first point. I've noticed a far stronger effort to bridge that gap than in many other countries i've visited.

I think there is a universal tendency to be more judgemental about mistakes by native speakers. But even those gaf/era threads about spelling mistakes is a vanilla cuddle-party compared to what one could find in other places. So even in that regard i'd assume that most americans are less condescending than the average netizen of some european countries.

Deleted member 18095

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I scored 110 in the TOEFL IBT last time I took it. I guess is OK. I now live in Spain, so my English is getting rusty :(

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
There's always room for improvement, especially when it comes to mastering pronunciation, but there's nothing I don't understand anymore and I can say anything I want to say. I work with a lot of native speakers from different parts of the world and I never have issues understanding their accents, either. I do admit I heard the word "upholstery" for the first time last year, lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty fluent
I read novels, watch a lot of American and British serials, those definitely help out

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a terrible habit of fast-switching between Italian and English. Phrases that start in a language, often end in the other - with the people i'm comfortable enough to do this, obviously.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I speak more English than Swedish, even though I live in Sweden and my family is entirely Swedish

How is this possible? Do you speak English at work all day then at home? I assume going out to places you'd speak Swedish.

So, a question for native English speakers.

Do you prefer non-native English speakers to talk with an accent or do you prefer us to emulate an American accent?

If you're in America, and you can emulate the accent, you'd be understood fairly well. Though if you're in any large city, you wouldn't be out of place with a foreign accent anyway.

The best part about English in America, is that even if you do a terrible job speaking or writing it, you'll still most likely be understood.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say that my accent exudes camembert, baguette and red wine.
I guess I'm pretty fluent though since I used to live in the UK, but yeah, I never managed to totally get rid of my french accent.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Writing: Good but needs improvement. I kinda feel my skill in writing in English deteriorated.
Listening: 10/10
Speaking: 10/10.

People here in my place constantly code switch since English is an official language.
I think I can speak English fluently compared to our official and several native languages.

This video might shed some light.

Beardz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For my surprise, pretty good actually! I've been in Thailand for over a month now and I just realized that the other day I was thinking / dreaming in English!

I know zero Thai so the only way to communicate is in english, so iveI been taking with people from all over the world in english...

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a terrible habit of fast-switching between Italian and English. Phrases that start in a language, often end in the other - with the people i'm comfortable enough to do this, obviously.
I love it when you can do this, and this was often done in my school amongst the English or French speakers. Sometimes just using one or two words, sometimes switching completely.
A funny thing that happens with it is that sometimes you switch in order to say a word that fits better in one language (let's say, hummus in Hebrew) and then continue in that same language (for no real reason).

I've have a friend who is pretty fluent in the same three languages as me and so conversations with him can sound really strange to others.