• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yeah of course people can be racist towards White people. Not that it is a major problem in any country right now. If you're only talking about the States Black folks have it much harder than White folks. Anyone who claims otherwise is a right wing idiot.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how eastern Europeans are treated in the UK I'd say absolutely.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Here in America white people culture is indeed white supremacy. The entire foundation and structure of the country is built upon white supremacy to protect and sustain white supremacy.

That said, regarding the title, no. No one should ever concern themselves with the feelings white people on the matter of race when every single bit of struggle on the basis of race comes exclusively from white people.

Exclusively? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if Swimming would participate a little more in the thread too to help with the discussion.

Oct 28, 2017
The concept of a white people was borne specifically as a sociopolitical power play to keep poor whites from establishing camaraderie with indentured and enslaved peoples. People have been accepted into the group of whiteness not because of similarities in skin color (again, the British did not and still in some ways don't fuck with the Irish, even though they're both white) but based upon political convenience of having these various cultures be added to the fold.

So you tell me what "white culture" is. If it is something that can be defined, it's not a legacy that bodes well, especially in the context of black and brown folks' experiences.
Did you really say that the British did not fuck with the Irish? Are you for real or just ignorant to everything that happened between the UK and Ireland? The Irish were possibly one the worst examples for you to use.

Also saying that "white people" have no culture other than to be racist is dehumanising in itself and if that's something you believe then I think that's crazy. You're lumping so many people into one group and saying that they have no culture, that they're all racist, now that might be American "White Culture", but that's not the same around the world, and the same with "Black Culture", you can't just say it's the same all around the world.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
racism requirements: prejudice + power. in america at least, non white people are missing one of those requirements. therefore any "racism" they exhibit towards white people is not the same as white people being racist towards them.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Well, in Europe there is tons of white vs. white racism.
For example Germans being racist towards Polish people.
Sometimes its tongue in cheek like Germans and Austrians hating each other, but I wouldn't count that.

Thing is that racism really becomes a problem when there is a power difference between the two parties.

Which is why "minority vs. white" racism doesn't really work, without the power discrepancy alongside the racism, the racism loses its bite.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
racism requirements: prejudice + power. in america at least, non white people are missing one of those requirements. therefore any "racism" they exhibit towards white people is not the same as white people being racist towards them.

Systemic racism in America, sure, but not racism at the individual level.

There's two different types of racism.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, anyone discriminated against or targeted simply for having a different skin color is a victim of racism

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
If someone chose to be hateful towards me because I was white, than yes, that is the definition of racism. Why is this even a question?

And before anyone says "well you are white and privileged so obviously you'd say that!" You are right, I personally haven't had to deal with racism as a white person. As a jew however I was beaten up in middle school, my brother had multiple classmates (that weren't all white btw) draw swastikas on his homework while in high school because they thought it was funny. So I have dealt with prejudice

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
the British did not and still in some ways don't fuck with the Irish

Are you entirely ignorant of Irish history? By force, through confiscation and use of plantations, the British totally dispossessed the native Irish of any land ownership in Ireland, and also legally excluded them from working in any of the middle class professions. I.e they could be peasant farmers and nothing else. Let's not talk about all the atrocities committed by the British soldiers, nor the death of millions in the entirely affordable famine.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure. but again, it's not the same. some black guy calling me a honky is a laughable situation. whereas the reverse....
Disagree, if a random black person insults or belittles me just because I'm white even though I've done nothing to deserve it then that is on the same level if the roles are reversed. I don't care who the person is, you treat other people with how you yourself want to get treated.

And this is coming from a white guy who has only had bad experiences growing up with poor and rich white kids.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
We need a common definition for racism. I have brought up the Manning Mable definition multiple times on Era at this point that defines racism as "a system of ignorance, exploitation and power used to oppress African Americans, Latinos, Asians, Pacific Americans, American Indians, and other people on the basis of ethnicity, culture, mannerisms, and color."

In the US specifically, the conditions to be racist towards white people literally do not exist.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Disagree, if a random black person insults or belittles me just because I'm white even though I've done nothing to deserve it then that is on the same level if the roles are reversed. I don't care who the person is, you treat other people with how you yourself want to get treated.

And this is coming from a white guy who has only had bad experiences growing up with poor and rich white kids.
well if thats the way you see it
We need a common definition for racism. I have brought up the Manning Mable definition multiple times on Era at this point that defines racism as "a system of ignorance, exploitation and power used to oppress African Americans, Latinos, Asians, Pacific Americans, American Indians, and other people on the basis of ethnicity, culture, mannerisms, and color."

In the US specifically, the conditions to be racist towards white people literally do not exist.
many white people don't wanna hear that definition.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Are you entirely ignorant of Irish history? By force, through confiscation and use of plantations, the British totally dispossessed the native Irish of any land ownership in Ireland, and also legally excluded them from working in any of the middle class professions. I.e they could be peasant farmers and nothing else. Let's not talk about all the atrocities committed by the British soldiers, nor the death of millions in the entirely affordable famine.
You understand that don't fuck with here means don't care about, dislike,etc.. yes?

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Of course. Individuals can be racist against any other individuals.

That isn't to say that the definition of systemic racism couldn't be different.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really say that the British did not fuck with the Irish? Are you for real or just ignorant to everything that happened between the UK and Ireland? The Irish were possibly one the worst examples for you to use.
Are you entirely ignorant of Irish history?
"Do not fuck with" is black American slang for "do not like." You should talk to us more often.

Also saying that "white people" have no culture other than to be racist is dehumanising in itself and if that's something you believe then I think that's crazy. You're lumping so many people into one group and saying that they have no culture, that they're all racist
Take your grievances up with the white folks who thought it was a good idea to lump a bunch of disparate cultures together under the basis of a meaningless identity label for the sake of making sure lower class groups stopped banding together in coups. I'm only calling it as I see it. If you have another definition of "white culture," let's have it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been going in circles for a bit, and not really producing any constructive discussion at this point, so we're locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.