• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sure, im sure me viewing white america as cultureless is racist.
but thats the impression i get from them unfortunately. most of white america abandoned their ancestors culture a long time ago. white culture to me is just whatever corporate america feeds them as american culture.
Homogenous Whiteness was created to unify White America after one of the World Wars to end the division and ethnic tensions between "White" ethnic groups.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of fucking course. I've experienced it multiple times (Los Angeles). It made me even more angry for minorities that are facing it systemically.

That said, it's a comparatively microscopic problem (in the West).

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Comments like this live in a bubble. Are we talking specifically about America? Europe? The world? White people in Zimbabwe are a minority who are forced off their farms, killed, ethically cleansed, and targeted specifically for being white. Is this not to be addressed?
I was talking about the west. If in some place the white are a minority and are being persecuted then yes, it needs to be addressed for that country.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? What a weird question. I'm white and I've been discriminated against. It happens, but what can you do.

Basically, per a more acedemic definition of racism, you cannot be racist against a racial group which clearly has the most power in a society.

So the answer is still yes

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm legitimately struggling to think of a context where white people are institutionally disadvantaged in a Western country.

I think it just comes down to categorization, a race-based attack on a white person could be called racism but it simply pales in comparison to the racism on an institutional and cultural level that minorities face. That doesn't mean it cannot be hurtful.

The only legitimate example of anti-white racism I can think of is that in Liberia? (or some other country) white people cannot be citizens or something.
Surface level racism? Yes.

On an institutional level? No.

South Africa.

Also racism against Slavs and Jews mostly by other white people but still, that counts.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
"Racism" as a broad concept does not require systemic racism or a social/political power imbalance. The term has no unified definition but in a general sense it is simply the act of prejudice of one race over another, and the inherent belief that one race is superior to another. It does not require a larger power imbalance, it does not require institutionalised and enforced socio-political power structure wherein one race is disadvantage and/or a minority towards another. When we speak "racism", we are speaking of racial superiority as an ideology exhibited through action and belief.

The debate of the necessity for advanced/disadvantaged social groups is one fundamentally flawed, as far as I'm concerned. We have terms and phrases to describe this, as institutionalised and systemic racism are born out of individual racism. They are the part of a greater process of racism towards the path of genocide, slavery, and other racially charged forms of oppression and extermination. Lumping this all under the umbrella of "racism", and implying that without oppression or social/political disadvantage for racially identifiable group there is no "racism", in my opinion diminishes the importance of recognising racism as a belief system and ideology responsible to individuals and where the root of systemic racism begins.

And while the debate is welcome, this is absolutely not a hard academic consensus on the definition. Discussion of a consensus is what mostly takes place in academia.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
This is really silly. People need to stop making this distinction as if it somehow makes sense . Happens too much in this forum.

Yeah you can racially discriminate against anyone
How is the distinction silly when the two situations require different solutions? Seems to hinder solving the issues if you don't acknowledge the distinction.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Of course you can be racist towards white people . Thing is in places like America you don't have the power to act on it so you can't suppress them the way racist white people do towards minorities.
I never actually understood, why is racism against white people required to be systemic racism? Is individual racism (or whatever you would call the opposite of systemic racism) against a white person not possible? Even more curious is, can individual racism exist against a white person in a society where systemic racism against them cannot?
Between the earliest days of romans "bringing civilization" to germanic and frankish savages by the means of conquest and slavery to the third reich declaring slavish people a genetically diseased, inferior offspring of the aryan master race just last century, yes, you very much can.

The idea of a holistic "white people" is very tinted by american history and culture to begin with, when in europe most "anti-white" racism is coming from slighty different "whites" to begin with, because racism in europe has never been exclusively about skin-color.

Even today you can still find plenty of anti-polish racism in germany.

Good posts. As always, it is important to remember that US != world.

I remember anti-polish sentiments were higher here in Sweden maybe 15 years ago, with the polish being percieved as a nation of cheap carpenters people would use to renovate their houses. Last summer when forests in Sweden were burning the polish firemen that came to help were greeted as heroes, with polish flags being hung from highway overpasses.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The debate of the necessity for advanced/disadvantaged social groups is one fundamentally flawed, as far as I'm concerned. We have terms and phrases to describe this, as institutionalised and systemic racism are born out of individual racism.

great post. It is always interesting to see posts about ~3 different kinds of racism only ever say racism.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
As far as America goes: one can individually be racist towards white people in America, but since there is effectively no systemic racism against white people in America and they have had centuries of wealth and opportunity built against others in their favor, individual racism against white people is practically meaningless and holds no power, not to mention it's incredibly rare in comparison to racism against non-whites.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am of the understanding that racism as a definition requires political power backing it. It requires one group to be disadvantaged.

It's otherwise just prejudice/pettiness and/or violence.

You can be a dick to just about anyone for any stupid or arbitrary reason, but it doesn't count or have the bite of racism unless the reason is related to a person also being politically disempowered in some way for their ethnicity/skin/religion (these factors often combine).

So it's more complicated than just "people are mean!", but I understand why people would be compelled to trying to simplify it, since it's a lot easier to understand if it's just "they are being mean about my race, therefore racism".

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to learn about racism, or the definition of racism, in college or anything like that. So I'm curious where the idea of political power and racism became intertwined. Is this an example of language changing to reflect a better understanding, or is there legitimate debate over what "racism" actually entails?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those who say no, you should try and ask Polish people in England or Romanian in Spain, to name two common examples. They are by all standard definitions white and a lot of them suffer racism on a daily basis. So yeah of course. Not everything revolves around American concepts, you know?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the distinction silly when the two situations require different solutions? Seems to hinder solving the issues if you don't acknowledge the distinction.
Because racism by itself is a hierarchical system. When were using terms like "systemic racism", "cultural racism", "institutional racism", etc. we are trying to specify how racism manifests, reinforces, and perpetuates within those aspects of society. We're not doing it to separate racism individuals act upon each other to them tho cause once again racism by itself is a system.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because racism by itself is a hierarchical system. When were using terms like "systemic racism", "cultural racism", "institutional racism", etc. we are trying to specify how racism manifests, reinforces, and perpetuates within those aspects of society. We're not doing it to separate racism individuals act upon each other to them tho cause wants again racism by itself is a system.
It's why a person of color that assimilates in a system built on White Supremacy can end up being racist towards their own people.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
It's my belief that racism is prejudice based on the racial makeup of someone. So yes people can be racist against white people. Just like any type of discrimination, the severity of it is going to differ based on the local factors. White people tend to face less of it, generally speaking. Systemic racism does exist against white people in some area, but again, it's not as widespread and I understand where people are coming from if they think it doesn't effect white people. It doesn't affect most of us, especially in North America or Europe, that is true.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I never got the chance to learn about racism, or the definition of racism, in college or anything like that. So I'm curious where the idea of political power and racism became intertwined. Is this an example of language changing to reflect a better understanding, or is there legitimate debate over what "racism" actually entails?
To be fair to you and most people, the things they try to teach to children and the general public is usually the simplified and surface version of stuff but then we get mad not everyone is as sophisticated as we want them to be lol. Same goes with things like chemistry or genetics. So we just have a lot of simple rules for people to follow and quickly understand, like "don't be a dick".

I think when you go deeper into the social sciences, you gain a more complex understanding of what racism and power structures in general entail deep down. I think it's been understood as systemic in academia for a long time, but hasn't penetrated into general public understanding very well.

I think there is definitely debate still, at least in part because some people are dense and want THEIR definition to count most (and to lessen their own guilt/complicity) but also because it's complex. Power dynamics are complex and flutuacting systems, kind of like "the economy". Just when you think you've grasped it, things can shift.

Sunset Crusader

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Absolutely and anyone who thinks otherwise is moving goal posts on what racism is defined as to fit their agenda.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I don't understand why some people in the thread seem to think it's only racist if it's systematic and institutionalized or whether the person/people being prejudiced need to be a minority.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my belief that racism is prejudice based on the racial makeup of someone. So yes people can be racist against white people. Just like any type of discrimination, the severity of it is going to differ based on the local factors. White people tend to face less of it, generally speaking. Systemic racism does exist against white people in some area, but again, it's not as widespread and I understand where people are coming from if they think it doesn't effect white people. It doesn't affect most of us, especially in North America or Europe, that is true.
The effects of White Supremacy on a global scale has had huge impact even in predominately non White countries so much so that White people often get put on pedestals despite being the minority and not having any power.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Prejudice? Yeah.

Racist? Nah.

Even the word racism is rooted in those being in power that use that to systematically oppress others. You can dislike/prejudge/whatever to white people.....but no one really has the power to oppress them except themselves currently

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, though vastly overstated by a lot of oversensitive white people (at least in the U.S.). Racism isn't just a skin color thing, and can get complicated.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
If you're going to hate someone or have preconceived notions about their behavior or what type of person they are based on just their skin then you're racist.

There isn't a hierarchy of races where one is immune to all bigotry.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to you and most people, the things they try to teach to children and the general public is usually the simplified and surface version of stuff but then we get mad not everyone is as sophisticated as we want them to be lol. Same goes with things like chemistry or genetics. So we just have a lot of simple rules for people to follow and quickly understand, like "don't be a dick".

I think when you go deeper into the social sciences, you gain a more complex understanding of what racism and power structures in general entail deep down. I think it's been understood as systemic in academia for a long time, but hasn't penetrated into general public understanding very well.

I think there is definitely debate still, at least in part because some people are dense and want THEIR definition to count most (and to lessen their own guilt/complicity) but also because it's complex. Power dynamics are complex and flutuacting systems, kind of like "the economy". Just when you think you've grasped it, things can shift.

Thanks, that's a very charitable post. I wish there was an easy way to learn about this stuff on my own, but especially with a topic as divisive as racism, there's just so much misinformation out there. I don't dare go to YouTube to learn things anymore, after unwittingly watching a PragerU video once while not realizing what they were

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard people define racism, particularly in academic settings, as having a power component, e.g. you cannot be racist to whites because they have power in society. Of course this does not match any common usage of the term so I don't think it's useful to use it in such a way. Definitions of words are established by consensus of usage, not by authority.

There's also a heaping pile of location and cultural bias with these sorts of things. Try being white in Asia, it's not the same thing as being white in America and no, they don't hold the power so there is no universalism to such views.

So I'd say, yes, you most certainly can. What we might say in western regions is that it's not important which is more a defensive cultural posture. This is because the concept, despite being less common or severe, can be used to distract from other perhaps more important conversations. I do however think that this needs to be treated very cautiously. We have not and likely will not establish a boundary of what it looks like to become "important," meaning that creeping irrational hatred can easily manifest without checks.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
sure, im sure me viewing white america as cultureless is racist.
but thats the impression i get from them unfortunately. most of white america abandoned their ancestors culture a long time ago. white culture to me is just whatever corporate america feeds them as american culture.

Wat

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can.

As a black man born in the South I don't care about what the academic term translates into and what it "truly means to be racist" and all that stuff. I was born based off of discriminating someone based off of race so yeah, you can be racist to white people. That whole "nah they don't have power so it's not racism" thing doesn't fly to me. I've got white homies who were just as poor as me and my friends and yet people were racist to them. When that happened I wasn't looking at any academic definition. I just looked at a friend being discriminated for due to his skin color the exact same way I was whenever I went to any store.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I shared this experience here before, but I'll do so again.

I was in a predominantly black neighborhood (like, 99% black) and went out for dinner with my then-fiance at Red Lobster. On the way in we got a lot of remarks like "hey whitey" or "damn, wish I had heels like that" (wtf does that mean?) in a mocking voice. Didn't really bother us, but when we got to the (huge) line, they started letting in a lot of people before us, even if they got there after. Eventually after waiting long enough and still not getting a seat and getting the uncomfortable side eye from everyone, we left and went somewhere else.

Is it racism? In the purest sense of the term, yes. BUT, there's no damaging effects of racism on white people other than people just generally being mean and making us feel uncomfortable or wait in lines longer. There's no race-wide history of being screwed over because of being judged or looked at differently. Discomfort and inconvenience is a whole different world to active discrimination.

So I think it's racism, I guess, but not the way we've come to know it in our society, where it's actively damaging, dangerous, and problematic. It's more like getting bullied in elementary school, which still sucks, but isn't the same.

That's just my two cents though.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There was a similar discussion in the past and there seemed to be a divide in what the word 'racism' actually means. Some use the dictionary definition of the term which is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior, while others interpreted the term as systemic, institutionalized racism that oppressed people on a national level.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Under any reasonable definition, of course you can. But in America and western civilization in general it's not systemic or institutional like it is with other races so it's not considered something that needs to be addressed on, for instance, a policy level.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
This thread (forum) needs a big ol' cup of USA!=world
There's racism towards people of the same country even in some places.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course you can. There are other countries in the world, you know?

You have right wing Northern Italians that consider Southern Italians (aka "terroni"; please have a look at the picture+caption in the Wikipedia article) intrinsically inferior to them.

in the 90s - early 00s there was (and there still is, but not as strong) some pretty hardcore racism against Slavs (mostly towards people from Yugoslavia and Albania)... The same thing goes for Romanians.

Romani people are treated like shit in most European countries.

Heck, in Switzerland I regularly witness racism towards the Italians, the French and the Portuguese... when it comes to jobs we even have laws that allow us to discriminate against all foreigners (which the EU isn't happy about).

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
As others have already states: yes, but especially in western countries it's individual racism and not systemic racism.

In Europe there's quite a lot of racism towards eastern European people. So white on white racism is definitely a thing here.

Oct 26, 2017
Well yes, just look at how eastern europe white people are treated in western europe, despite being "white" they look at your cultural background and ethnicity.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
The moment you discriminate against anyone due to the colour of their skin is racism.

I don't care what colour that skin is the fact someone is discriminating against is.

So to answer your question, yes OP, white people of course can be subjected to racism.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is discrimination based off skin color. So yes.

Does it carry the same weight in our society? No, but racism is still racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.