• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Of course you can. You can be racist to anyone. The only thing that changes is how common the racism is and how much of a problem it is for the people who suffer it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
sure, im sure me viewing white america as cultureless is racist.
but thats the impression i get from them unfortunately. most of white america abandoned their ancestors culture a long time ago. white culture to me is just whatever corporate america feeds them as american culture.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
"I think whites are subhuman filth that should be forcibly aborted ."

Seems pretty racist to me.

Monodi

Oct 27, 2017
Sonoran Desert
If you mean discriminate someone exclusively for being white, technically.

If you mean systematically oppressing their lives for centuries to pipeline their lives into slavery and genocide, then PFFFFFF

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think you can definitely be petty and cruel toward anyone, but racism requires a kind of power differential to be effective or true racism. I'd suspect if "white people" or whatever person of caucasian descent were a minority group in a country and considered a secondclass or non-citizen, definitely racism could happen against them.

Like let's say a white community of expats in China gets targeted for a lot of hate or systemic policing against them. I'd say that would be pretty racist.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but most of the "white racism" people claim is just their privilege being called out.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Yes, particularly in countries where they are minority, be it in number or because they don't have power.

Let's remember that racism encompasses more than just institutionalised racism, and anyone can experience casual racism.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Once in highschool at an arcade someone said "try that again white boy" to me after I beat them in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Ever since then I knew it was a possibility ✊

Are in a country where they are the minority have no real power?
Also this is an obvious example of when it can be a yes.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sure, im sure me viewing white america as cultureless is racist.
but thats the impression i get from them unfortunately. most of white america abandoned their ancestors culture a long time ago.

To be fair, it gets a little tricky when you're the product of five or six distinct cultures all wrestling for dominance.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Anyone can have racist behaviour targeted towards them.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Of course you can be racist towards white people . Thing is in places like America you don't have the power to act on it so you can't suppress them the way racist white people do towards minorities.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are in a country where they are the minority have no real power?

I think you can definitely be petty and cruel toward anyone, but racism requires a kind of power differential to be effective or true racism. I'd suspect if "white people" or whatever person of caucasian descent were a minority group in a country and considered a secondclass or non-citizen, definitely racism could happen against them.

Like let's say a white community of expats in China gets targeted for a lot of hate or systemic policing against them. I'd say that would be pretty racist.

I never actually understood, why is racism against white people required to be systemic racism? Is individual racism (or whatever you would call the opposite of systemic racism) against a white person not possible? Even more curious is, can individual racism exist against a white person in a society where systemic racism against them cannot?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen how people of slavic backgrounds can be treated differently or mocked, so I would say it is in the realm of possibility. It's definitely going to differ based on where you are though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm legitimately struggling to think of a context where white people are institutionally disadvantaged in a Western country.

I think it just comes down to categorization, a race-based attack on a white person could be called racism but it simply pales in comparison to the racism on an institutional and cultural level that minorities face. That doesn't mean it cannot be hurtful.

The only legitimate example of anti-white racism I can think of is that in Liberia? (or some other country) white people cannot be citizens or something.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017

In a system of white supremacy, which is what America was founded on and continues to be, it is impossible to be truly racist against white people. Here's why.

Definitions for the word racism can lead to the belief that it is simply a matter of prejudice. For example, Dictionary.com defines the word as "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior." But a deeper dive into the meaning of racism and what it means to be racist reveals a more complex truth: True racism, in America, requires power.

Per the "Sociology of Racism" published by Harvard University, racism is "an ideology of racial domination in which the presumed biological or cultural superiority of one or more racial groups is used to justify or prescribe the inferior treatment or social position(s) of other racial groups."

In order for a racial group to dominate another, that requires power. Anyone knowledgeable about America's history knows and understands that the most powerful group has always been and remains white people.

Basically, per a more acedemic definition of racism, you cannot be racist against a racial group which clearly has the most power in a society.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Though based on some of the responses here and with other posters I've chatted with, a lot of people on this site dont think so.

DarkLancer

Alt account
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yes and it also is important to address because hatred begets hatred and will only fuel systemic racism against minorities. Also there are some countries where there is systemic racism against whites. I have seen this occur in Africa, at least.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Between the earliest days of romans "bringing civilization" to germanic and frankish savages by the means of conquest and slavery to the third reich declaring slavish people a genetically diseased, inferior offspring of the aryan master race just last century, yes, you very much can.

The idea of a holistic "white people" is very tinted by american history and culture to begin with, when in europe most "anti-white" racism is coming from slighty different "whites" to begin with, because racism in europe has never been exclusively about skin-color.

Even today you can still find plenty of anti-polish racism in germany.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never actually understood, why is racism against white people required to be systemic racism? Is individual racism (or whatever you would call the opposite of systemic racism) against a white person not possible? Even more curious is, can individual racism exist against a white person in a society where systemic racism against them cannot?
My flawed understanding is that basically against a minority, ALL instances of racism contribute to and strengthen racism on institutional and social levels, which is (at least a major part of) why racism against a minority is so harmful. This doesn't happen to white people (at least in America/the West?) so I've seen people say it can't be called racism at all without those power structures.

So the entire 'you can't be racist against white people' argument is Western/America-centric?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Is it important to address? no.

Comments like this live in a bubble. Are we talking specifically about America? Europe? The world? White people in Zimbabwe are a minority who are forced off their farms, killed, ethically cleansed, and targeted specifically for being white. Is this not to be addressed?

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am of the understanding that racism as a definition requires political power backing it. It requires one group to be disadvantaged.

It's otherwise just prejudice/pettiness and/or violence.

You can be a dick to just about anyone for any stupid or arbitrary reason, but it doesn't count or have the bite of racism unless the reason is related to a person also being politically disempowered in some way for their ethnicity/skin/religion (these factors often combine).

So it's more complicated than just "people are mean!", but I understand why people would be compelled to trying to simplify it, since it's a lot easier to understand if it's just "they are being mean about my race, therefore racism".

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of the Discourse around this question is somewhat pointless because even if anti-white racism in America/the West is called racism, then we can simply say "On account of it being exacerbated and enforced by institutional and cultural power structures, racism against minorities is inherently more harmful than racism against white/dominant people".

I have a feeling that'd also be called racist by many people who hate the prejudice + power definition.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
In the North America/Most of Europe it is possible to be racist to white people. However, given the way those societies are structured racism against Caucasian people is pretty much a non-issue.

It's like asking if it's possible for birds to speciest towards cats. Yeah it could be, but cats are the predator with all the power so it doesn't matter.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is ultimately a semantic argument. The answer is determined by whether the majority of people in language group consider it useful to describe racial prejudice against white people as "racist". Some people fall on one side but other people fall on the other side. If you're looking for a more objective answer you won't really get it here, Era is not a sufficiently random sample.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
So the entire 'you can't be racist against white people' argument is Western/America-centric?

I'm far from an expert, but generally yeah. But given the influence the West has on the entire world it probably applies to more than just Western countries.

But you could say you can't be racist against a different racial group in another country if they have a clear power advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.