• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This may be the most wholesome gaming related thing I have ever seen.

This new Twitter account is cataloguing dogs in videogames and whether they can be petted or not.

It's well worth a follow.
Did a fetch but could not find anything, throw me a bone if old

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, this is amazing. This is the kind of quality content I come to Era for.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
You can pet the wolves in God of War 2018 if you hold down the R2 button with the axe equipped.

Asterix

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I always pet the GOAT dog, DD, during missions.

AdorablePeriodicGilamonster-small.gif

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The creator of the account wrote up a little thing about why they decided to make the account and why it always feels so good to be able to pet the dog in games:
https://www.fanbyte.com/features/why-people-want-to-pet-the-dog/

That reasoning remains solid, minus one crucial element: Yes, petting a dog almost always offers no tangible benefit or bonus to the main game. But that is precisely why it feels so good. Those quiet moments of stolen comfort are a pressure release. In the seconds you are petting a dog, you are not saving a princess from a dragon turtle, you are not defending a kingdom from a demon pig, and you are most certainly not retaking the capitol from fascist government splinter cells.

I'll admit I'm pretty bummed out to hear you can't pet the dogs in The Division 2, but you can kill them. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy.

Oct 28, 2017
Lets talk about the biggest goddamn travesty in gaming for a second. Red Dead Redemption 2.

WHY CAN YOU PET THE DOG BUT NOT PET THE CAT?! THE FUCK IS THIS?!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lets talk about the biggest goddamn travesty in gaming for a second. Red Dead Redemption 2.

Whaaaaat. I haven't seen the cat yet so I didn't know this. This is a absurd.

I feel like the "cat petting" game list is probably even smaller. I was very happy when Assassin's Creed: Origins let you pet those cats.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
This is nice but I wish there was an account that'd tell you which games have dog abuse or injured/dead dogs instead. It's such a major turnoff for me. Doing that first hotel mission in The Division 2 beta broke my fucking blackened heart.

Am I a hypocrite for being fine with violence against my fellow man in games but not against domestic animals? Dunno, don't care.

/pets all the dogs

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
One of my backlog goals this year is to play a game that features/contains a dog every month, so this will be very useful for ideas. :P

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
In Wargroove you cannot directly pet Caesar, but he gets petted by Beatrice and Horatio every time you attack with him.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

Cats don't give you a choice to pet them or not. It's not up to you. It's up to them. They have you do what they want you to do. It would be more accurate for a cat to randomly walk close to you and your character to automatically try to pet it with another smaller chance that instead of liking it, the cat would swipe at you and walk away offended.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You can pet the dog (and cats!) in AssCreed Origins but not Odyssey... weird (and also sad!).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot pet the dog in RE4 but he's a bro and helps you fight a giant monster.

Games tend to be mean towards cats. I always hate it when a PnC forces me to scare a cat away to get an item. It blocks it and would attack me, when I try to grab it otherwise.
Petting them is also often denied with the reasoning of "mimimi it may scratch me, cats are evil."
As a cat person this hurts. :(

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Cats think they're too good for us stupid apes. That's why I don't like them. Also, I'm allergic. Stupid cats.

There was one Nintendogs + Cats game on the 3DS, right? I imagine that one lets you pet cats if you're a crazy cat loving cat lover, you.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The dogs that can't be petted are still good boys. I demand patches for all games to fix this. BoTW first!

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Whaaaaat. I haven't seen the cat yet so I didn't know this. This is a absurd.

I feel like the "cat petting" game list is probably even smaller. I was very happy when Assassin's Creed: Origins let you pet those cats.
You can hold the cat nicely in twilight princess but i dont think you pet it.

Fable 2 and 3 you can pet the dog but i dont think theres any cats

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In which games can you play laser pointer with the cat though?

Edit: Imagine a fps with laser sights and being able to play with cats just by aiming in the environment, that would be the best thing ever.

Last edited: