• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I love how in the original Twisted Metal you could splatter pedestrians all over your windshield but the dogs that were crossing the street were invincible. Not petting related per se, but everyone kinda intrinsically gets the point that you don't dare hurt a good boy.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently it was the division 2 that led to the creation of the account

During the leadup to release, each wave of beta playtests resulted in the same feedback. Specifically, participants were unhappy that The Division 2's half-destroyed version of Washington, D.C. was populated by frightened stray dogs that players were unable to calm, caress, or otherwise reassure. These posts lined up with my own beta experience, and that vindication inspired me to begin a Twitter account called "Can You Pet the Dog?" which seeks to chronicle every single pettable and non-pettable dog in video games.
https://www.fanbyte.com/features/why-people-want-to-pet-the-dog/

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You cannot pet the dogs in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but you can throw it food and stare at it being cute until it likes you and searches for nearby treasure.
You cannot pet the dogs in Super Mario Odyssey, but you can jump on it playfully and play catch with it using Cappy. They can also find coins and Power Moons for you the moment they spot you.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Every game with a dog in it should allow you to pet the dog, unless it's trying to kill you.

More games should also have petable cats.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This Twitter account lost all credibility when they said you can pet the dog in Final Fantasy 8 and posted a gif of Rinoa giving Angelo a treat. That's not petting! :P

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Cat-wise, being unable to pet V's Shadow is worse than any other half baked element of his implementation in DMC5.

There are cute post-mission photos of him, but it's not the same.

Being able to implement an exercise plan for your overweight cat is especially rigorous.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I wonder if developers see this and add it into their games as a consequence haha. Amazing.

Edit: Seems like yep haha.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
You can pet the wolves in God of War 2018 if you hold down the R2 button with the axe equipped.
Yeah but you have to take them to the veterinary after that
tenor.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Wholesome account. I like it. The best pet continues to be the best in the virtual world

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can pet Interceptor as Shadow in FFVI.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great Twitter,

I need a similar one for "Does this game have a Grappling Hook", as we all know, a game cannot be GOAT if it has no Grappling Hook in it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've finished RDR2 but I still don't know how to pet the dogs despite many people claiming to do so.
I see it's not on that list yet so maybe someone can shed the light on how it's done if possible?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've finished RDR2 but I still don't know how to pet the dogs despite many people claiming to do so.
I see it's not on that list yet so maybe someone can shed the light on how it's done if possible?

You hold L2 and praise the dog first, then they should approach and that option should change to "pat" like you get with horses.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

As if this could get any more wholesome.
Glad I made this thread, hope it's cheered people up on this depressing day

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If Nintendo released paid DLC for Breath of the Wild that was solely focused on adding a button prompt/animation for dog petting, it would be the highest selling thing on the eshop for WEEKS.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Finally a happy thread. Thank you for sharing this :')

It still blows my mind you cannot pet doggos in BOTW. I now demand an update especifically to fix just that. Nothing else.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the key to hug the Blob from A Boy and his Blob? Any game with pets/companions should have it. [hugs]

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This is nice but I wish there was an account that'd tell you which games have dog abuse or injured/dead dogs instead. It's such a major turnoff for me. Doing that first hotel mission in The Division 2 beta broke my fucking blackened heart.

Am I a hypocrite for being fine with violence against my fellow man in games but not against domestic animals? Dunno, don't care.

/pets all the dogs
This is easily the worst thing about The Division 2 for me.

People can make their own choices to be good or bad, but animals typically don't, so there's a clear line between the two for me.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Instead of allowing us to pet nothing in BOTW, how about petting dogs AND those sexy lynels?