• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not talking about super complex PCB design or anything like that, but say you were interested enough in trying some homebrew related game development but an early, basic step required you to solder a few wires to the console (say 4 wires). Would that be enough to deter you from ever advancing, or does that sound like something not too daunting?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think I did it once or twice at school, but I would not be confident in doing so with anything unless it was something extremely cheap so it wouldn't matter if I broke it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be more specific, does something like this look doable to people here:

maxresdefault.jpg

How about this instead:

DSC_0874.jpg

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would. Only soldered gameboy batteries, but I would still to do consoles for home-brew stuff.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i did it to repair a couple of speakers in college but that was about it. I'm not confident in my ability and would much rather shell out the extra money for a pre-soldered whatever.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I soldered some headers on a pi zero once but it was messy and had to redo it multiple times and used way to much soldering wick. After about the third time it went more smoothly. I had a person heavily experienced in soldering teach me as I was going though and provided clear and direct examples.

It's definitely not "as easy as it looks" when you are watching someone experienced do it cleanly. Screw up and you might bridge 2 locations or make it too tall and pick up interference.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I used to work in a monitor repair shop in Houston where I would do transistor / resistor swaps. After that, I patched in RCA outputs to my Atari 2600 and my Intellivision.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I can do some basic stuff at home. And at work be have some pretty good gear. I work with designing electronics. Could probably ask a colleague for more advanced stuff

arttq

Oct 27, 2017
Those look pretty doable to me. Back in the day I installed Messiah2 mod chip for PS2 fat version. That had around 20 wires to incredibly small pins which was quite a challenge.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Both of those look incredibly doable

For me it is more about effort vs reward. I never bothered to hack my 3ds because I couldn't be bothered to go through the shenanigans to order the right kind of cartridge adapter from the right sketchy website. I cracked open my PSP's battery an hour or two after I got it.

In this context: I just generally don't see a point. Why do I want to potentially risk one of my consoles to make a game that can "never" be monetized? When I can just as easily download Unity or Unreal and dick around and maybe eventually take one of my prototypes and expand on it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I did it once or twice at school, but I would not be confident in doing so with anything unless it was something extremely cheap so it wouldn't matter if I broke it.

let's say you're provided with a variety of options, each inversely proportional in price and difficulty. The cheapest but most difficult way is to hack apart an HDMI cable and build an otherwise proprietary connector, but this is also probably the most difficult way to do this. A similarly cheap, but slightly less difficult way involves directly soldering to the console itself, bypassing the connection. A slightly more expensive (~$20) but still tricky method exists where you basically buy someone's hacked up HDMI cable already taken apart and re-purpose it. And finally, the easiest method involves buying a sort of hard to find but readily in stock on ebay, $150-$200 piece of hardware.

Provided you need to do at least one of these methods to proceed, would that completely derail a homebrew project for you?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i learnt it in school but i would have to buy equipment which i would only need once and thus i wouldn't do it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe if I had something to practice on first. I've wired guitars from scratch, but the first pot I soldered onto definitely looked a mess.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
let's say you're provided with a variety of options, each inversely proportional in price and difficulty. The cheapest but most difficult way is to hack apart an HDMI cable and build an otherwise proprietary connector, but this is also probably the most difficult way to do this. A similarly cheap, but slightly less difficult way involves directly soldering to the console itself, bypassing the connection. A slightly more expensive (~$20) but still tricky method exists where you basically buy someone's hacked up HDMI cable already taken apart and re-purpose it. And finally, the easiest method involves buying a sort of hard to find but readily in stock on ebay, $150-$200 piece of hardware.

Provided you need to do at least one of these methods to proceed, would that completely derail a homebrew project for you?
Me personally? I'd probably be able to find someone I know that would do the soldering for me in exchange for a couple of drinks. But yeah if I did not know someone like that, it'd probably be a deal breaker. Unless it was really important to me, I'd probably not pay that kind of money ($150-$200) for a console mod of any kind.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't. And frankly, I wouldn't want to try, because buying electronics in a developing country often means getting an electronic device is a far bigger commitment than it would be for the average player in say, the US.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
just to note, the second example is a hacked apart HDMI cable. It requires a lot of careful cutting with a razor blade. You have to slice the HDMI cable head in half length-wise, like so:

dc-cable-4.jpg

Does that deter you?
Considering I've dicked around with lots of cables over the years: No. Not in the slightest. It still boils down to "is what I want worth the effort"

So are you trying to sell some shit on etsy? Looking for someone to do work for you? I really don't get what this thread is and every single one of your responses feels like a marketing survey.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
We had soldering courses back in school, so yeah I could do it, looks quite simple.

But I won't because I don't have a soldering station at home and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me personally? I'd probably be able to find someone I know that would do the soldering for me in exchange for a couple of drinks. But yeah if I did not know someone like that, it'd probably be a deal breaker. Unless it was really important to me, I'd probably not pay that kind of money ($150-$200) for a console mod of any kind.

The $150-$200 option is a mod free option. It's not a mod at all at that point, you're just buying officially released hardware. The mods are a way to get around having to buy rare, very expensive hardware.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
That looks doable. I can solder just about any surface mount component with pins visible on the sides of the package, but I'd say you're about at the limit for what an inexperienced person would be able to do with a cheap $15 iron on the fly.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The $150-$200 option is a mod free option. It's not a mod at all at that point, you're just buying officially released hardware. The mods are a way to get around having to buy rare, very expensive hardware.
Maybe I misunderstood, was the "slightly more expensive" option one that required any soldering, or not?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would not mind, but since i don't have the greatest coordination ever, i would probably mess it up while trying.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I tried to solder once. It was not fun. I'm gonna have to learn how to eventually if I want to get the most out of my Raspberry Pi 4 that's coming in the mail ANY DAY NOW DHL

sorry got a little distracted there

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed there are actually test points on the mother board, so you wouldn't even have to solder at the connection point on the socket.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I misunderstood, was the "slightly more expensive" option one that required any soldering, or not?

they all require soldering, except the most expensive option. They just require less and less building of materials the more money you spend (because you're spending to get some of the materials already pre built).

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i guess i can but wouldn't say i'm skilled in the slightest. my only experience soldering is swapping out pickups in my guitars and desoldering an LED on my pc sound card.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Once I got into retro-gaming it felt like soldering knowledge was a requirement or else I would be spending too much on commissioning others, plus waiting months for completion. Earlier this year, when I installed a DCHDMI for myself, I felt like I reached a milestone where I'm able to tackle most anything the retro community has to offer.

With that said, I hate anything related to cable making. I'll leave that to Retro-Access. The photos you posted look fine though.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've done it before to create a DIY head tracking unit for flight sims. I got the electrical part working but in the end i scrapped it anyway.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Took a soldering course in school so it wouldn't scare me away from a project. Have soldered motherboards, GPUs and simple wiring in computer cases before with good results. I suck at it though.

Edit: Oh, my friend bought a defect SNES once that was obviously tampered with. Fixed that with some soldering. I also want to finish my Mega Drive single-switch region mod but need a new soldering iron.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once I got into retro-gaming it felt like soldering knowledge was a requirement or else I would be spending too much on commissioning others, plus waiting months for completion. Earlier this year, when I installed a DCHDMI for myself, I felt like I reached a milestone where I'm able to tackle most anything the retro community has to offer.

With that said, I hate anything related to cable making. I'll leave that to Retro-Access. The photos you posted look fine though.

unfortunately, after decades of research, the above mentioned methods are still the only way to really do this. The port in question is bespoke, it's been a wild trip trying to find connectors that match. It's not just the size of the connection, which is odd, but also the spacing of the 10 pins inside. Thus far, the only connections that sorta match are AGP ports from ancient motherboards, and the upper half of an HDMI cable connector (there are two halves in the HDMI port, a top and bottom). Those only match the spacing of the pins, not the shape, so you still have to cut stuff down to make it fit the port. AGP motherboards are rare now, so your only real option is to slice up an HDMI cable to an odd, exact size (or buy one already hacked up which is readily available on ebay for a different purpose, that can be taken apart and reused for this project).

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The most I've soldered is a header to my Raspberry Pi Zero. I've actually got it in my head to buy a torch and solder some copper pipes together because it's fun to do handiwork.

Overall, learning isn't so bad. Buy a crappy soldering iron and lead-free solder from Harbor Freight. $10 later, you're playing with power!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I used to solder a lot when I was heavy in the music scene. Making your own cables is super cost effectice in the long term. If it wasn't anything too meticulous/risky I'd have no issue soldering for homebrew.

I'd definitely be comfortable with the soldering part of the pics you posted (granted if a screw-up could permanently damage my device I'd hesitate)... the precision cutting you mentioned got me sweating tho haha

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to solder a lot when I was heavy in the music scene. Making your own cables is super cost effectice in the long term. If it wasn't anything too meticulous/risky I'd have no issue soldering for homebrew.

I'd definitely be comfortable with the soldering part of the pics you posted (granted if a screw-up could permanently damage my device I'd hesitate)... the precision cutting you mentioned got me sweating tho haha
So you'd be cool with buying this completely other item at $20, which you'd still have to solder stuff to, but you'd be spared having to cut up the HDMI cable? Or would you just not bother at all?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've done it before for a project. Would have to get the feel for it again, but I wouldn't let it deter me from another project.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I can solder, but I don't have my own iron and wouldn't need it often so buying that would deter me more than the actual soldering process.

Ube

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the most complex thing i've soldered was several wires from an ethernet cable to a MC cthulhu board

over the years of modding arcade sticks, it's something i've gotten more comfortable with the more i did it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I learned how to solder to replace cart batteries. I'll eventually install a mod chip I have laying around.
4 wires? Doable if the motivation is there.

Nov 14, 2017
I worked in an electronics manufacturing facility as a manual assembler for a few years, so that looks incredibly doable. But I do not have an adequate soldering station (or rather, even one at all).

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Let's be more specific, does something like this look doable to people here:

maxresdefault.jpg

How about this instead:

DSC_0874.jpg
In learned to solder specifically so I could backlight and bivert my game boy but based on my experience with that and the slight struggle to get it all done I would say that looks a step above what I'm capable of.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I learned how to solder to replace cart batteries. I'll eventually install a mod chip I have laying around.
4 wires? Doable if the motivation is there.

after noticing there are test points on the mother board, I'd say soldering to the board is probably easier than swapping a gameboy battery for comparison. For the unfamiliar, test points are holes on the motherboard specifically for people (repair people and hardware engineers and such) to solder to in order to bypass the sockets. The wire goes into the hole, like a component, like so:

50c6c393ce395f2633000001.jpg

So you don't have to tap the legs of the socket, nor do you have to solder to a surface mounted pad. It's much more like working with a project board.