Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I bought Other M on release day and man did I hate it. Such a terrible game.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I was convinced as a kid that Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be the greatest game ever made. Oh my god, a story mode where all my favourite Nintendo characters will meet and team up?! --> The story mode ended up being not that amazing. Stage builder? Infinite replayability! --> The stage builder was pretty limited and not as ground-breaking as I hoped. I mean not to mention that the gameplay was slower and didn't feel as good as Melee. Probably not as bad as the X-Men game in the OP though lol.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 - twice.

It has everything I love about videogames/anime. Gave up the first time after 10 hours. Gave up the second time (Royale) after about 25.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Very few games have deeply, deeply disappointed me the way Paper Mario: Sticker Star did. Completely killed my interest in that series after being one of my most anticipated 3DS games.
The original trailer when it was Paper Mario 3DS made it look like the sequel to 64/TTYD we had all been waiting for. I remember GameXplain had a hands on preview where they really hyped up the card system. Then I actually got the game. It's pretty, at least.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
MOO3 was my first bone chilling glimpse into the foul dark eldricth reality that underlies our apparent reality.

kefersage

Aug 24, 2018
SMTV - gorgeous, fast, 3D, with the same battle system we've come to love. It seemed it was going to be an even more interesting Nocturne!

And the actual game just drained the joy out of everything. Exploring sucked and puzzles were non-existent, the story was empty... just horrifically underwritten, and worst of all, the gameplay felt absolutely atrocious. I didn't know I could dislike press turn but here we are. Husband keeps insisting I go back to it so he can see the rest, but just nah.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow the Hedgehog was the first game I ever bought with my own money. It was awful. I have so many regrets. He just looked so cool in the marketing.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
40 years later Pac-Man 2600 still stings.

Man what a disappointing launch week.

The weirdest part is Ms. Pac-Man 2600 legit kicks ass.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Darkest Dungeon 2 was heartbreakingly mediocre. Went right back to the original.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Final Fantasy XV.

I waited for so long…
I read so many interviews…
I watched the trailers so many times…
I listened to the concert…
I watched the anime…
I watched the film…
I ordered the special edition…
…then I finally played the game.

I was so disappointed I think I actually started to like the entire medium less afterwards.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Although it turned sour just before release, I was pretty much all-In on SimCity (Online)
I believed the "by doing this on servers we can do better simulations" thing.

When in fact that games basically uses a very simple fluid sim to do traffic, and people don't even live in houses. They sleep in houses, go to work, and drive home to the nearest available house. Also it just lies about numbers. Once you get past a certain point it just makes up population numbers.

Add to the fact that it was a top 5 worst online launch, servers constantly down.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Quake 2 is a huge one for me. It was fine, don't get me wrong, but was also a notorious step-back from what the first game (and particularly its Quakeworld version) accomplished. Fortunately it came out in between Quake 1 and 3 within only a 3-year time span between all of them, so there was always good Quake to be played.

But we all expected a real leap and it just didn't happen. They emphasized the single-player with Q2 which was a bonkers and somewhat confusing notion given that Quake's hallmark at the time was its top-of-the-class multiplayer. And Q2 was a much slower game beyond its focus on SP, which again was odd when Quake was known for its gameplay speed.

Quake 2's reputation has improved over time largely because people enjoy the single-player and it's had interesting updates like ray-tracing, but if you were enamored with Quake 1 at the time, it was a staggering disappointment. It's no coincidence they ditched SP entirely with Quake 3, focusing entirely on the franchise's bread and butter.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
MGSV, I still loved the game, but damn was it a colossal disappointment in the story department, almost soured me on the whole experience.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Saints Row Reboot. To be fair, I haven't played it myself yet, but everything I've seen and heard about it since it's release has looked/sounded awful.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I really enjoyed Odyssey, and was super excited to play Valhalla. Only to hate almost everything about it.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be controversial and say Elden Ring. I really enjoyed the first few hours but then some really dumb design decisions I didn't enjoy reared their head and completely changed my enjoyment of the game. (Mainly personal preferences about needlessly-labyrinthian level design, I don't feel like arguing about it anymore, I'm aware a lot of people really liked that about the game)

But I guess if you mean something that was clearly bad right off the bat, I idiotically had high hopes for Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier lmao

Deleted member 104622

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2021
It shouldn't have been possible for Cyberpunk 2077 to be underwhelming and/or terrible, but somewhere between Witcher 3 and CP2077 CD Projekt Red lost sight of who they were.

Also sorry to always talk about CP2077, I'm evidently having a hard time getting through the grieving process. We badly need an open-world SF FPS game with heart.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
No Man's Sky at launch. Was so hyped back then lol. Glad they really worked hard to turn it around and then some though!

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII. The PS3 reveal trailer is still to this day one of the best trailers for a game imo.

I hated it so much I don't think I ever played a FF game after that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had very little experience with the proper SMT franchise and I personally bounced off of SMTV after working up a lot of excitement for the game.

I expected the story to be way more involved and interesting, and that ended up being the major disappointment for me.

Probably my most recent "this looks like it'll appeal to me a lot" to "nah this isn't for me at all actually."

That said, my feelings aren't as harsh as the OP on SMTV nor do I think the game deserves really hard feelings. The game itself is actually fine but it had very little of the qualities that I had hoped to get out of it.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Super Mario Sunshine

I loved Mario 64 as a kid, so I was hyped af for the follow up...

... only for it to be my most hated 3D Mario

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Endwalker if expansions count. The thought that it could be bad was incomprehensible to me and I thought it'd be the easiest slam dunk and an amazing ending to FFXIV. Biggest gaming disappointment I've ever felt. Everything about the final area was just so dull and went hard into bad anime writing, culminating in a crappy Naruto vs Sasuke esque fight hilariously shoved into your face at the end.

I have way too many issues, namely with the characters, but it's still hard to believe how bad I was let down.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Assassin's Creed III for me. After the original disappointment of 1, then how engrossed I was with the Ezio games, I couldn't believe how much I didn't enjoy III.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk. Remember how hype people were when they did behind the scene presentation and we only got second hand impressions from the press?

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
I was so hyped for oblivion when it came out and it ended up being worse than morrowind in every single way.

Funnily enough I repeated this cycle exactly when Skyrim came out.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Edit: Didn't read the whole OP lol Probably Gears of War Judgment. Was so hyped and it was awful.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
oblivion

was extremely hyped coming off of Morrowind and was so excited for it... it didn't take long for its negatives to shine through.

See also: Fallout 4

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
PSX-Dino-Crisis-Plain-Release.jpg

I loved Resident Evil. I fucking love dinosaurs. This was made specifically for me and it did not disappoint. I know this thread is for personal disappointments but nothing fits "slam dunk" for me better than this game.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Dark Souls 2 . I thought, hey I really liked Demon's Souls and absolutely loved Dark Souls so this one should be orgasmic! Boy was i fucking wrong

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy did I regret downloading Sticker Star. Not sure if it was a guaranteed success in my mind.

Maybe NiGHTS sequel because I saw no previews and was simply excited for a second game.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Other M was the most recent game to blindside me in the expectations vs reality matchup, and thankfully that was 12 years ago. I rarely buy games new anymore.

Phantasy Star Universe hurt me the most though, PSO is is my favorite game ever and the semi-sequel (this was years before PSO2 existed) did just about everything wrong.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: didn't read the OP

Then Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2

The trailer had my hype through the roof and then we got what we got…Never have I been so burnt by a game!!!😩

Edit 2: Yes I have!! Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new World was fucking horrible!!!! I came to play a tales game not Pokemon….and none of the returning cast was fully playable!?!?!? How do you fuck this up so bad!?!?!? No wonder it's not getting a remaster like the first; no one wants that game to exist!!!

Last edited: