• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Since I just got a 1TB SSD for my PS4 Pro, I'd like to use an external drive to store games I don't play often.
I think for now I'd like to go with a 4TB WD drive that is powered via USB (I know PS4 supports up to 8TB, but those drives spin up slowly and also require a PSU). So I'd like to know in advance if it is possible to transfer the games from one external HDD to another in case I should run out of space?

Loakum

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I've done it. I backup restored PT from a 1TB PS4 harddrive on to a external portable harddrive, and then restored it to my 2TB harddrive on my PS4 Pro. It's how I still have PT.

OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've done it. I backup restored PT from a 1TB PS4 harddrive on to a external portable harddrive, and then restored it to my 2TB harddrive on my PS4 Pro. It's how I still have PT.
My question was if you could transfer frome one external to the next, without copying back to the internal drive.
Eg, in case I find that 4TB isn't enough, could I copy the data to a larger external drive?

Loakum

Oct 27, 2017
My question was if you could transfer frome one external to the next, without copying back to the internal drive.
Eg, in case I find that 4TB isn't enough, could I copy the data to a larger external drive?
You still should be able to. All you doing is copying data.