• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

The prime ministers of Canada and the Netherlands added their support on Tuesday to a Franco-German proposal to reform NATO, after France's president said the Western alliance was dying.

"I don't think you survive 70 years as an alliance without regularly reflecting," Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a forum before the NATO summit, sitting alongside his Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte.

Rutte said it made sense to set up a proposed "wise persons" group of experts to consider how to reform NATO politically after splits between Turkey, France and the United States have emerged, and he called for a "fundamental rethink".

As expected the summit is going very well

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone is throwing shit at each other and the summit hasn't even properly started

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Turkey needs to be kicked out of NATO, that should be the priority. Our strategic goals are not aligned. That is increasingly true of the US as well, but unlike Turkey there is no NATO without the United States.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Where's the lie though

There is no lie, but you do have to wonder, when the EU army tries to get off the ground, how much of a hassle that will be with all the different governents Western Europe vs Central Europe etc. Although the UK/Turkey/US would not be involved, but my understanding is there are some serious different idelogies and political regimes in the EU.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I mean he is right but you know erdogan and trump will get butthurt

They both exist in a state of perpetual butthurt anyways
There is no lie, but you do have to wonder, when the EU army tries to get off the ground, how much of a hassle that will be with all the different governents Western Europe vs Central Europe etc. Although the UK/Turkey/US would not be involved, but my understanding is there are some serious different idelogies and political regimes in the EU.

The EU army will never be more than a twinkle in Macron's eye. The best we can hope for is a Western European rapid response force.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Turkey absolutely needs to be kicked out of NATO at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I agree with the both of you, but strategically, I mean its a major hit.
Geographically, sure. But at this juncture Turkey is far more aligned with Russia than the west. They buy the Russian missile system, they've been kicked out of the F35 program, etc. They are basically a NATO member in name only.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Geographically, sure. But at this juncture Turkey is far more aligned with Russia than the west. They buy the Russian missile system, they've been kicked out of the F35 program, etc. They are basically a NATO member in name only.

Yeah, under Erdogan their geopolitical goals are entirely unaligned with ours.

They're violating Cypriot sovereignty too for fuck's sake

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah, under Erdogan their geopolitical goals are entirely unaligned with ours.

They're violating Cypriot sovereignty too for fuck's sake
The bottom line is, if the EU were under a legitimate threat from, say, Russia, would Turkey, who now has a Russian defense system and has been kicked out of key NATO offensive system (the F35), side the NATO or Russia? I feel at this point Turkey is a legitimate concern, beyond whether or not they should be in NATO.

With the US, even with Trump's moronic bluster, at the end of the day, we will still defend the EU basically no matter what. Even if Trump were to try be cute about it, Congress would step in.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019

Erdogan isn't immortal. There are still level headed people in Turkey who have a legit shot at the presidency. See Imamoglu who beat Erdogans party in Istanbul earlier this year.

Better to act rational, not emotional when it comes to this and just weather it out till he is gone.