• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada can afford to eliminate poverty, support the middle class and dramatically shrink the gap between the rich and poor by introducing an annual basic income of $22,000, according to a new report.

The unconditional stipend for adults over 18 would come with an annual price tag of between $134 billion and $637 billion, depending on three options explored by the Basic Income Canada Network in a report being released Thursday.

Everyone would be impacted because it would change the tax system, according to the non-profit advocacy organization. And although some would take a hit, it would result in a tax system that is fairer, more transparent and easier to understand, the report argues.

"Basic income in Canada is not a question of possibilities, but of priorities," said the report's co-author Sheila Regehr, chair of the network.

"It is clear from child and seniors' benefits that basic income works for many Canadians already. The federal government's priority now must be to take leadership to make it work for everybody," she said.

Under all options, the report proposes converting GST/HST credits and a portion of provincial social assistance payments into a basic income. The new benefit would be topped up by increasing corporate and personal taxes, ending income-splitting for seniors and eliminating many tax credits that disproportionately advantage higher-income residents.

"All this money goes back to all Canadians in a fairer, more transparent way through a basic income that is better for everyone and the economy," Regehr said.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This would certainly stimulate the economy. I do find it odd to give the income to the wealthiest individuals as well, but I guess they might also put that money right back into local businesses.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Like the OP mentions, we already have GIS/OAS functioning as UBI for seniors. Funding a universal UBI would probably mean restructuring CPP, EI, and other existing programs into one.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Canada should do it, but I don't know if it's politically viable and the logistical issues that would be involved in overhauling the entire tax and benefits systems for all provinces.

If it takes more than 4 years to do, Conservatives might be able to stir up enough anger to come in and dismantle it all.

Oct 25, 2017
[totally progressive, not just repackaged bootstraps voice]

yeah but people only want a universal basic income to buy a ps5

this is different from accusing people of abusing welfare because uhhh reasons

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada's GDP is ~1.67 trillion

So between a tenth and a third of their GDP depending?

Which plan and what benefits would see ~10% because I can see that. But 30+% would be pretty intense. I seriously doubt they could find the budget for that.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Canada's GDP is ~1.67 trillion

So between a tenth and a third of their GDP depending?

Which plan and what benefits would see ~10% because I can see that. But 30+% would be pretty intense. I seriously doubt they could find the budget for that.
As per article:
Downstream savings in public health and criminal justice as well as increased economic productivity due to a basic income could help offset the cost, she added.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Well they would just get it taxed back due to their income. The idea of straight up giving it to everyone is that you cut the red tape of having to work out who should and shouldn't get the benefit.
This makes sense and I agree with it. It's like healthcase and education -- just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to utilize public healthcare and education like everyone else. But if you're wealthy, you should be paying more in taxes to fund these programs.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Just make sure you regulate landlords, food prices, servicecs and retail too because those assholes will start raising prices on everything to leech people back into poverty.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see it happen but I think it's too expensive for a government to seriously consider implementing it without significant tax reform. Corporations are so mobile these days that they'll jump ship to a lower tax country if Canada increases taxes or they perceive that the cost of doing business has become too high.

Like so many issues facing the world, this can only be solved through global coordinated action because first movers have to bear a significant cost.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any way this wouldn't require a command economy to actually pull off.
9RBhFgm.gif

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't see how it's possible to budget that without major tax reform. Even then, there's not enough millionaires to tax.

Mar 29, 2018
I don't see how it's possible to budget that without major tax reform. Even then, there's not enough millionaires to tax.
I think the idea is this is less expensive than all the services currently in place to support people with lower incomes, so no extra millionaires needed.

It basically begets tax reform, though. Perhaps not as much as you'd think, but yeah.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how it would help the housing crisis. Doubt much will change, if at all.

Prices would shoot up even more due to more people being able to (theoretically) afford them

Which is probably the biggest why the government might consider this, keeping the housing bubble up is a top priority.