• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
If Trump or Biden visited a group like that in the US it would be blasted everywhere, but in Canada it'll probably just sit on Twitter and fizzle out in 5 minutes

-------------

Here is the story about sick notes from earlier

View: https://x.com/TorontoStar/status/1783206761274519564

Sick notes for minor things that will clear up in a couple days are SUCH a waste of time and resources

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I weep for my generation and the next. It turns out our political and financial education is just as bad as the states!
I knew that when I got my first job as a teen and heard grown adults saying they didn't want to work overtime because it would push them into a higher tax bracket and would result in them taking home LESS money. lol

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I weep for my generation and the next. It turns out our political and financial education is just as bad as the states!

The argument is that already-short doctors will leave, businesses owned by the wealthy affected will raise their prices to make up for extra tax and of course inheritance will be affected. Not to mention Canadians who are relying on real estate as income lol. At least that's what I gathered from our conservative media that would explain that particular poll result. High taxes "always bad" lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Worse, because we just follow their lead with a lag of a few years, while ignoring all of the takeaways we could learn from their fumbles.

I knew that when I got my first job as a teen and heard grown adults saying they didn't want to work overtime because it would push them into a higher tax bracket and would result in them taking home LESS money. lol
This is so rampant in construction that I go back and forth between educating people and just hoping for my head to explode.

The argument is that already-short doctors will leave, businesses owned by the wealthy affected will raise their prices to make up for extra tax and of course inheritance will be affected. Not to mention Canadians who are relying on real estate as income lol. At least that's what I gathered from our conservative media that would explain that particular poll result. High taxes "always bad" lol
I'm pretty sure I heard some spokeswoman for some doctor's association in an interview saying that physicians are highly educated and skilled individuals who can just stop practicing and do something else. Like… sure, Jan. Just give them higher fees and stop trying to make corporations people, it's fucking ridiculous.

They can also miss me with all the talk about how their capital gains are to make up for their lack of a defined benefit pension plan. These mythical public sector pension plans that get pointed to in these situations aren't something the average Canadian has access to either. If they think the average person at a grocery store or driving Uber is getting the MP/Senator treatment upon retirement I have a real big fucking bridge to sell them.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she's the leader of the opposition, so of course is going to have to have an opinion on it, but it's a real "hoisted by your own petard" when you realize the rest of the context around the situation. Sure, she was booted from caucus for "insubordination", but the optics are fucking terrible, and optics are everything.