• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha what the hell. *Can't breathe*

AJyCGRI.jpg

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Time to put taxpayer pensions into O&G!!!

If CPC wins I wonder if they'd steal CPP funds and direct them there Kenney style?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
That is honestly the most horrifying policy idea. Bail out Albertans if you want to be comfortable in retirement.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing Kenney is THAT dumb. Teck mine pulling out is not because of protests and climate change activists, it's because it was not economically viable in our current economy. They need oil to be more than 20$ higher for each barrel than it is now. Which meant they would have invested billions in a project where it wouldn't make money in the short and average term.
The deflection with activists is more about the CEO saving himself.

We saw the same with TMX. It's an ailing project the government had to bail out and it keeps ballooning in cost (increased by 5 billions already). They've promised the profits would be invested in green technologies and project. The project is now close to twice the initial cost so they won't have any profits anytime soon.

If Wall Street is no longer believing in oil development, the solution for Alberta shouldn't be to invest in it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This province will not be shut down. We will not leave in the ground assets that represent ten trillion dollars of value on global markets. We will not be the only of the major energy producers in the world to choose poverty over prosperity.

This is who the Conservatives represent.

I don't know whose ass he pulles that figure from but the Cons represent anyone who to stand to lose a lot of money if that oil stays in the ground.

Fascist regimes generally came into existence in times of crisis, when economic elites, landowners and business owners feared that a revolution or uprising was imminent.Fascists allied themselves with the economic elites, promising to protect their social status and to suppress any potential working class revolution.In exchange, the elites were asked to subordinate their interests to a broader nationalist project, thus fascist economic policies generally protect inequality and privilege while also featuring an important role for state intervention in the economy

An important aspect of fascist economies was economic dirigism,meaning an economy where the government often subsidizes favorable companies and exerts strong directive influence over investment, as opposed to having a merely regulatory role. In general, fascist economies were based on private property and private initiative, but these were contingent upon service to the state.

Fascist governments encouraged the pursuit of private profit and offered many benefits to large businesses, but they demanded in return that all economic activity should serve the national interest.Historian Gaetano Salvemini argued in 1936 that fascism makes taxpayers responsible to private enterprise because "the State pays for the blunders of private enterprise... Profit is private and individual. Loss is public and social".

Sounds just about right to me.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're part of a marginalized group or conservative, a lot of people i know just don't care either way. Also, election day should be a national holiday to maximize votes for the too busy group.

Yes it should, but how many people will just take the day off and binge Netflix all day instead?

I guess potential marijuana legalization got a lot of attention in 2015 but last election there wasn't anything similar.

I believe Canadians disengagement from politics has been increasing since the 90s, 2015 may have been an upward tick.

It's actually a right wing strategy to disenfranchise voters and make people hate government and politics. Started in the US with Newt Gingrich and the conclusion is Trump.

I have a hard time believing Kenney is THAT dumb

He knows people will vote conservative there no matter what he does.
At least Ford tanked his rating and cost Scheer an election so there was some consequences to his crap.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Unless you're part of a marginalized group or conservative, a lot of people i know just don't care either way. Also, election day should be a national holiday to maximize votes for the too busy group.

Meh. There are four days of advance polls now, including a full weekend. If the "too busy" can't find half an hour in five days to go voting right now, they won't show up on election day. The "too busy" are too shy to admit they're actually part of the "don't care" crowd.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't realize that climate change activism has been pretty successful in getting investors to back off high emissions projects although their low chance of profits is probably the biggest factor.

Unfortunately we are now seeing fascists rising up intending to use taxpayer money and pensions to keep these industries afloat because they don't want to "leave money in the ground".

Those people who don't care about politics better start caring real soon.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize that climate change activism has been pretty successful in getting investors to back off high emissions projects although their low chance of profits is probably the biggest factor.

Unfortunately we are now seeing fascists rising up intending to use taxpayer money and pensions to keep these industries afloat because they don't want to "leave money in the ground".

Those people who don't care about politics better start caring real soon.

Well the irony of a lack of climate policy killing a jobs in Alberta is great. I just can't buy that a lack of climate policy had anything to do with Tek withdrawing its application.

The project was already extremely unfeasible from an economic prospect, requiring basically 65$/barrel to just break even. That was assuming additional pipeline capacity was going to happen which seems more and more unlikely as these protests continue. Any climate policy would target a high emitter like this pushing that break even price even higher.

Of all the reasons to withdraw, a lack of climate policy is the most puzzling.

It all comes down to dollars and cents, they knew they were never going to build it, so why even bother going through the process of getting an application approved especially when the whole industry is under the microscope of the entire country right now thanks to these protests.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the reasons to withdraw, a lack of climate policy is the most puzzling

Having a stable climate policy makes it easier for these companies to project future profits/risks with costs like carbon taxation and approval process length and costs.

In Canada, the Cons(and conservative provinces) are pushing back on carbon taxes and bill C-69 so these companies have no idea whether these policies will be repealed anytime soon or not.

It all comes down to dollars and cents, they knew they were never going to build it, so why even bother going through the process of getting an application approved especially when the whole industry is under the microscope of the entire country right now thanks to these protests.

Frontier was first proposed when oil was $100/barrel.
It's cancellation should have been a minor story but the Cons are politicizing it to cause division and drama just so they can blame it on Trudeau.

This is all orchestrated drama on their part.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having a stable climate policy makes it easier for these companies to project future profits/risks with costs like carbon taxation and approval process length and costs.

In Canada, the Cons(and conservative provinces) are pushing back on carbon taxes and bill C-69 so these companies have no idea whether these policies will be repealed anytime soon or not.

Frontier was first proposed when oil was $100/barrel.
It's cancellation should have been a minor story but the Cons are politicizing it to cause division and drama just so they can blame it on Trudeau.

This is all orchestrated drama on their part.

Everyone is politicizing it. The UCP (and their supporters) are blaming the Liberals and the NDP (and their supporters) are blaming the UCP.

Honestly its served as a bit of a litmus test to me seeing how people have responded to it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm honestly loving what Kenney is doing, he is tanking the conservative brand big time here. The NDP being elected showed there was a shift and the UCP election obviously was not ideal, however, even some of the most rusted on conservatives I know absolutely hate the guy. Job losses have accelerated under his leadership, he's increasing the deficit while cutting services, giving money to companies that leave anyway... The optics are terrible for him, he looks clueless.

One just hopes the damage he does can easily be recoverable but he is shifting the politics of this province in a positive way.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenney has his head too far up his own ass to realize that the biggest investment firms pretty much threw down the gauntlet; have an effective climate change and sustainability policy or they're withdrawing their investments.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Too busy is likely more about too busy to follow the election and the candidates rather than the process of actually voting.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love that early voting makes it easy to be in and out on a weekend but I understand it sucks for those that haven't decided on who to vote for yet.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Is he though? Polls posted in this thread not too long ago indicated otherwise.
He had a 40% approval rating as recently as December. The provincial outlook has significantly worsened since then. Anecdotally, people I know who would never vote anything other than conservative, absolutely loathe him.

The war room and cuts to health / education are massively unpopular with anyone other than rig pigs, that's less than 20% of the population. It's also only his first year, it rarely gets better.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
That fuel economy figure is pretty embarrassing in itself, and my F350 work truck likely gets half that if I'm being honest. AB Court is likely as ass backwards as everything else in this province outside of Edmonton.

Also, election day should be a national holiday to maximize votes for the too busy group.
There are so many advance polling days that I don't really buy "too busy". Elections Canada and its provincial counterparts make it very easy to vote; on PEI we had turnout above 83% in the 2003 provincial election despite the fact that most of the Island had no power that day because of Hurricane Juan.

People who don't vote by and large simply don't want to, whatever they might say.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Let's not forget that we have an awful Premier in Quebec too!

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Wow is that an actual term? I'm saving that one if so lol.
It's absolutely a term commonly used here, I'm surprised you haven't heard it before.

Here is another chart demonstrating why Kenney is fucked. Adding to the deficit, while cutting services and accelerating unemployment when market factors haven't changed is a very impressive effort. His honeymoon period is well and truly wearing off.

0xzEvt1.png

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Steven Del Duca, the front-runner in the race to become the next leader of the Ontario Liberal Party, and his wife want the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) to hand over a section of protected land to save an in-ground pool they've built, CBC News has learned.

Del Duca and his wife, Utilia Amaral, live on a cul-de-sac in Vaughan. Their backyard is nestled against public parkland that's part of the Humber River watershed. It's considered environmentally sensitive land and is controlled by the TRCA.

Del Duca and his wife built the pool last summer without all the necessary permits — and it's too close to the parkland, according to municipal bylaws.

Another 4 years of Ford if this guy wins the leadership.

How is he the frontrunner? There's so many better candidates.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
well my grandmother is eating that BS up which is probably what legault/quebecor wants

He's pretty much doing on purpose and it's fairly obvious why. All of his big blunder were all around the very same things too. He's exploiting a vacuum left by the previous government. QC Liberals hated everything regarding French promotion and protection and nationalism and with the fallout of the PQ he's directly siphoning that audience. The people voting CAQ certainly aren't doing it for his economic projects, educational system reform or healthcare reforms.

He's also currently in an open battle with PKP so I wonder how long they still support him considering he's the type to hold a grudge.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooo I take a night off from the internet and some crazy shit happens in Alberta.

So I'm going to link to a discussion on Reddit about the actual issue cause the actual issue is so fucked up

This fucking company has a decal/sticker making fun of Greta Thunberg getting sexually violated. The owner, Doug Sparrow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/greta-thunberg-xsite-energy-sexual-image-1.5478561 (SFW)

And it's not the first time this company has done this. This is some fucked up shit

Last edited: