• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yoooooo I take a night off from the internet and summer crazy shit happens in Alberta.

So I'm going to link to a discussion on Reddit about the actual issue cause the actual issue is so fucked up

This fucking company has a decal/sticker making fun of Greta Thunberg getting sexually violated. The owner, Doug Sparrow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/greta-thunberg-xsite-energy-sexual-image-1.5478561 (SFW)

And it's not the first time this company has done this. This is some fucked up shit
Scroll up like 7 posts.

EDIT: NVM, the tweet was deleted. It's pretty disgusting, especially those saying "she's 17, she's not a girl".

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Ontario by election (2 seats) were won by the liberal by large margins. Hopefully it's a glimmer of hope that the Conservative will only have one term.

However both seats were won by the liberal on last election. That said, the percentage was higher this time around.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario by election (2 seats) were won by the liberal by large margins. Hopefully it's a glimmer of hope that the Conservative will only have one term.

However both seats were won by the liberal on last election. That said, the percentage was higher this time around.

They conservatives are sore losers too. Where do they find these assholes?

Someone is pissed they didn't get on the Ford gravy train.

I'm sure he will find some overpaid job for her in government.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
They conservatives are sore losers too. Where do they find these assholes?

Someone is pissed they didn't get on the Ford gravy train.

I'm sure he will find some overpaid job for her in government.

Considering she had no chance to win due to being in a generally quite Liberal area AND the current popularity of the Ford government that comment is certainly cringey/sore loser.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The NDP has a serious problem that doesn't end at the federal level. I really don't know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they're in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada.

Of course it doesn't help Horwath is uninspiring.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The NDP has a serious problem that doesn't end at the federal level. I really don't know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they're in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada.

Of course it doesn't help Horwath is uninspiring.

Two things here:
1. Horwath obviously should have retired a long time ago and it seems abundantly clear from me here way out west that the ONDP have hit a ceiling under her.

2. The support "pool is shallow" as you say because the NDP aren't doing what Bernie is doing down south. Bernie Sanders is doing well because he's cultivated a grass roots movement by organizing people on the margins that have been left out of the political process. We know that same thing exists here in Canada from that recent polling posted here that found big double digit percentage of people don't follow politics.

In contrast the NDP, beginning with Jack Layton (but at various provincial levels long before that) drifted toward Third Way Tony Blair centrism, and still haven't really found their way back to a clear and coherent social democratic vision.

Jagmeet Singh got a little bump in support and fundraising near the end of the last election because he started throwing out some feel good lines about taxing billionaires and a wealth tax, but ultimately it amounted to a sort of "cargo cult" Bernie Sanders play, and they really haven't backed it up with the follow through and hard work that Sanders has done.

The last remaining NDP government in Canada in BC recently released their budget and it was awfully timid and induced a fair amount of grumbling from the left. The NDP drift to centrism remains the trend.

It's a foolish strategy imo. We've seen again and again that when Canadians are faced with the choice between centrist Liberals and centrist NDP, they'll pick the original Liberal brand every time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
he NDP has a serious problem that doesn't end at the federal level. I really don't know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they're in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada

Who can they appeal to?

Ontario is "centrist" because a lot of people have done quite well under the current system. Look at all the expensive cars and houses in the GTA. I was stunned when I saw a Mclaren 720s(I think) on the road here.

Not enough people have been screwed by capitalism or realize they've been screwed.

The US is in far worse shape in many states. So Bernie's message resonates more with those that will listen.

We are one or two CPC majorities away from that. Kenney will turn Alberta into a wasteland of abandoned wells and tailing ponds.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Who can they appeal to?

Ontario is "centrist" because a lot of people have done quite well under the current system. Look at all the expensive cars and houses in the GTA. I was stunned when I saw a Mclaren 720s(I think) on the road here.

Not enough people have been screwed by capitalism or realize they've been screwed.

The US is in far worse shape in many states. So Bernie's message resonates more with those that will listen.

We are one or two CPC majorities away from that. Kenney will turn Alberta into a wasteland of abandoned wells and tailing ponds.
Ontario keeps hemorrhaging auto and manufacturing jobs the same way that Alberta is losing oil jobs, and that's not something that can be really pointed at the PC government considering the Liberals were in charge for 15 years and let that industry stagnate.

There are so many "information economy" jobs out there, and that's assuming everyone wants to transition into one.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario keeps hemorrhaging auto and manufacturing jobs the same way that Alberta is losing oil jobs, and that's not something that can be really pointed at the PC government considering the Liberals were in charge for 15 years and let that industry stagnate.

There are so many "information economy" jobs out there, and that's assuming everyone wants to transition into one.
blaming the liberals makes no sense considering GM and ford on their last legs

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario keeps hemorrhaging auto and manufacturing jobs the same way that Alberta is losing oil jobs, and that's not something that can be really pointed at the PC government considering the Liberals were in charge for 15 years and let that industry stagnate
blaming the liberals makes no sense considering GM and ford on their last legs

Yeah it's not really something you can blame on government unless I am missing something.

Unless people want more corporate welfare to keep such jobs here, and even then it's delaying the inevitable.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the current model of economics involves government interventions to encourage growth in specific industries. You can't shit on the Alberta conservatives for being short-sighted by doubling down on oil and then forgive the Liberals for not addressing the inevitable manufacturing collapse at the same time. Not that the OPC are necessarily any better as they near the second year of their mandate... but 15 years is a long fucking time too.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Manufacturing jobs are disappearing in the country not just because of government policy but other factors such as cheaper labour, automation, and more strict labour standards. Blaming one government over the ails of an industry over another is not useful considering Harper was in power as well and didn't do anything for the manufacturing industry.

Canada's largest sector is the services industry and continually grows every year. That is where our competitive advantage is as we're generally more healthy, educated and have higher standards of living compared to other western nations.

The NDP seems to ignore that fact entirely and still harp on manufacturing jobs the same way trump does. It's a dying sector since we have robots to do those tasks and where the big money is is in finance, high tech, renewables, etc.

Back in the days the word "family" was often used in the NDP platform. That's so generic as it doesn't specifically point to a certain demographic, but at least their campaign was focused. Now they don't mention it at all but instead rely on Singh's ability to post tik tok videos and chenneling his inner AOC which just doesn't resonate in a Country full of centrists, not just Ontario (maritimes says hi).

The NDP on both the provincial and federal level are starting to lose mind share. Yes, part of it is strategic voting (cue the electoral reform crowd), but that argument only goes so far.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
They're still too centrist to grab anyone's attention. Obviously for Canadians M4A isn't a radical proposition but you have to be relatively radically leftist if you actually want to fire up the marginalized groups. No one in oppressive poverty is going to be excited about a party that's 10% more progressive than the resident neoliberals. You need the equivalent of what's happening in the states, where the billionaires are going on tv to cry about Bernie's tax policies.
Someone that makes the super-rich afraid.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yoooooo I take a night off from the internet and some crazy shit happens in Alberta.

So I'm going to link to a discussion on Reddit about the actual issue cause the actual issue is so fucked up

This fucking company has a decal/sticker making fun of Greta Thunberg getting sexually violated. The owner, Doug Sparrow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/greta-thunberg-xsite-energy-sexual-image-1.5478561 (SFW)

And it's not the first time this company has done this. This is some fucked up shit
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Toronto Star:
twitter.com

David Juurlink on Twitter

“This seems a bit much”
cN1iySh.jpg

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
ca.news.yahoo.com

NDP leader faces criticism for TikTok video taking PM to task

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is facing pushback for a video he posted criticizing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s lack of action over the Wet'suwet'en protests.

The video, posted to the social media site TikTok, shows Singh pouring a glass jug of water into another glass jug labeled "Justin Trudeau's empty words", which is next to another empty jug labeled "Justin Trudeau's actions".

Singh taking some heat over his video.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
ca.news.yahoo.com

NDP leader faces criticism for TikTok video taking PM to task

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is facing pushback for a video he posted criticizing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s lack of action over the Wet'suwet'en protests.

Singh taking some heat over his video.

The guy is an idiot. He overplays his hand at every step making the NDP more and more irrelevant.

I don't know why his social media team lets him do this. And as i said before. Who does this appeal to?!?!

May 30, 2018

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
They're still too centrist to grab anyone's attention. Obviously for Canadians M4A isn't a radical proposition but you have to be relatively radically leftist if you actually want to fire up the marginalized groups. No one in oppressive poverty is going to be excited about a party that's 10% more progressive than the resident neoliberals. You need the equivalent of what's happening in the states, where the billionaires are going on tv to cry about Bernie's tax policies.
Someone that makes the super-rich afraid.

Yep. Setting aside the only very recently a new, divisive issue of pipelines and the environment, there's otherwise so much consensus between all three parties on the other big issues (ie. the economy). Parties arguing over tiny differences of which has the "most progressive" policies while restraining themselves into the same core centrist space. It's no wonder so many voters shrug at the options.

Layton was able to break out of this a bit in part because both his rivals were fighting over the same centre-right turf, but also by talking about different issues that people didn't expect. The federal government is responsible for things like foreign policy, defence and immigration, but Layton got attention by talking about kitchen table affordability issues like credit cards and bank fees that people didn't expect him to bring up. That trick only works once. You saw Singh try to carve out some unique space for himself by stating that he'd bring down phone costs, but Trudeau replied breezily that sure, he'd do that too.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The Conservative Party named eight candidates Saturday who passed the first hurdle to become a contender in the party's leadership race — a list that does not include former Stephen Harper adviser Richard Décarie, who made controversial comments about the LGBTQ community earlier this year.
In response to his unsuccessful bid, Décarie, a social conservative from Quebec, took aim at the Conservative Party's committee responsible for having final say in the decision.
"The unelected Leadership Election Organizing Committee (LEOC) of the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) has decided I am not an 'Approved Candidate,'" he said in a series of tweets. "Despite the support and signatures of thousands of CPC party members, this unelected committee has disallowed my candidacy and will not allow my supporters to cast their ballots for me."
The party would not say why Décarie's application failed to land a green light.
"Eight candidates were approved by the committee. Reasons for not approving a candidate are not disclosed, but it's not a decision the committee ever takes lightly," said party spokesperson Cory Hann.
Approved candidate Derek Sloan — a Conservative MP in Ontario — slammed the committee on Twitter, calling its decision "outrageous".

The comments:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Singh is too focused on getting shots off at JT whenever he can instead of offering an alternative

And who has TikTok that also follows Canadian politics? Lol

Sometimes its not about advertising to the converted. We talked literally at the top of this page that the NDP isn't buliding grassroot movements. That they aren't recruiting supporters. And yet this is exactly what they are doing with the next generation of voters by being on the platforms that they are on.

You get them used to your messaging early. You open them up to the fact that your political party exists. You do some casual education into politics. And when they are finally of voting age, guess which party they are more likely to vote for?

And we see that this strategy works for the NDP. They lead in the Youth Demographic. They lead within the 18-25yr range and are competitive within the 25-35yr range. And sure. These demographics generally dont mean much in the short term since they don't tend to vote. But over time it adds up a lot as now you have a base of people which have always been opened to (and already have) voted for your party and have built friend circles where they talk about your policies and news.

And thats one method to building up a grassroots movement. You merge multiple methods together and thats how you build a strategy for your grassroots movement. And thats how you become and stay influential in politics.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Sitting next to a table of old people talking about the protests makes me shake my head. How can people be so out of touch that they believe in mistruths and conspiracy?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Sometimes its not about advertising to the converted. We talked literally at the top of this page that the NDP isn't buliding grassroot movements. That they aren't recruiting supporters. And yet this is exactly what they are doing with the next generation of voters by being on the platforms that they are on.

You get them used to your messaging early. You open them up to the fact that your political party exists. You do some casual education into politics. And when they are finally of voting age, guess which party they are more likely to vote for?

And we see that this strategy works for the NDP. They lead in the Youth Demographic. They lead within the 18-25yr range and are competitive within the 25-35yr range. And sure. These demographics generally dont mean much in the short term since they don't tend to vote. But over time it adds up a lot as now you have a base of people which have always been opened to (and already have) voted for your party and have built friend circles where they talk about your policies and news.

And thats one method to building up a grassroots movement. You merge multiple methods together and thats how you build a strategy for your grassroots movement. And thats how you become and stay influential in politics.

I agree with all this. TV and newspapers are on the decline. Most people will talk about politics online and in person with friends in the future. I for one haven't watched a TV news broadcast in years. There's just no point.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017

Is it working though? I see what they're trying to do but garnering the youth vote isn't super helpful if they only start voting once they've been moderated (which is broadly speaking what happens as people age). This strategy seems extremely long term to bear any fruit and by that point I could picture the NDP being relegated to obscurity.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Singh spews bullshit as much as Scheer does, shouldn't be a surprise considering he's a lawyer I guess. The only thing he's accomplishing in the end is helping another Con majority form.

Whether it's blaming Trudeau for the protests(it's a provincial matter, ask your fellow BC NDP wtf they're doing), or promising hospitals in Brampton (not your call dude another provincial thing), the man constantly dumbs down and oversimplifies every problem facing this country and acts like it could all be solved if you just throw more money at it and replace Trudeau with himself which to me is up there with the kind of crap Scheer says.

I don't even think it's a party for social democratic voters anymore.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it working though? I see what they're trying to do but garnering the youth vote isn't super helpful if they only start voting once they've been moderated (which is broadly speaking what happens as people age). This strategy seems extremely long term to bear any fruit and by that point I could picture the NDP being relegated to obscurity.
Which is why it has to be mixed with multiple strategies. Converting the Unconverted and informing the Youth is one strategy. It's a vital one to ensure that you continue to have voters in the future which are opened to your party. By starting young it makes it easier to retain voters as they age, and it makes it easier to convert ones you have lost since once upon a time they were once on board.

It can't be the only strategy. But it can't be ignored as an essential part of building a long-lasting movement

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Don't worry everyone. Unlike JT Andrew Scheer actually cares about the environment.

2015:
www.theglobeandmail.com

Environment Minister approves Montreal’s sewage dump plan

Catherine McKenna imposes a handful of conditions, including that the city improve water-quality monitoring
The new federal Environment Minister has granted Montreal permission to dump billions of litres of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence River so the city can make critical repairs to its waste-water system.
Catherine McKenna, who is in Paris preparing for the United Nations climate-change summit that begins at the end of the month, broke from her mission to give the green light on what she admitted was a "far from ideal" decision on her sixth day in office.
Ms. McKenna imposed a handful of conditions on the sewage spill, including that the city improve water-quality monitoring, as well as cleanup and emergency response plans, and consult more with First Nations communities along the riverbank. The work, which involves pouring a billion litres of sewage into the river a day, is expected to last a week and must be completed by Dec. 5.
"I wish there were a magic bullet here, I wish there were other options," Ms. McKenna said in a conference call from Paris. "This release is far from ideal, but it is needed for the city of Montreal to perform critical maintenance on their infrastructure before winter.
"If we do not allow this to go ahead and there was an unplanned discharge, the long-term impact to flora and fauna could be significantly more."
--------------------------
The mayor welcomed the decision, calling it "science-based" and saying it was unlike the political manoeuvring of the previous federal government. "I have no problem with the conditions, and I have no problem with a postmortem," Mr. Coderre said. "It's positive and constructive."
The file, which had been before the federal government for 18 months, landed in Ms. McKenna's lap after it emerged as an issue in the recent election campaign. The former Conservative government suddenly put Montreal's plan on hold, citing concerns about fish habitat. It also named a panel to review the plan.
--------------------------
Ottawa's report, released Friday, said the planned dump could cause harm, but an unplanned release triggered by a possible system failure if the sewage system breaks down would be more harmful. This dump will be the third time in eight years that Montreal has poured billions of litres of sewage into the river. The report suggested future mitigation efforts, and Ms. McKenna said the city will participate in an Environment Canada review to find better ways to handle future repairs.
"All I can say is I inherited this file on the first day. Things were not conducted in the way I would have hoped for," Ms. McKenna said. "We can do better and we will do better."

Story from a few days ago:

vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca

Canada pumps nearly 900 billion litres of raw sewage into waterways since 2013

Canada's old-fashioned city sewer systems dumped nearly 900 billion litres of raw sewage into this country's waterways over five years, enough to fill up an Olympic-sized swimming pool more than 355,000 times.

OTTAWA -- Canada's old-fashioned city sewer systems dumped nearly 900 billion litres of raw sewage into this country's waterways over five years, enough to fill up an Olympic-sized swimming pool more than 355,000 times.
--------------
Among the data that was released is the total amount of effluent, or untreated wastewater, that escapes from combined sewer and storm systems like those found in major cities such as Toronto, Ottawa and Edmonton. These systems are often release untreated sewage when storms overwhelm them, to prevent backups and floods. Between 2013 and 2018, the data says 890 billion litres of effluent escaped.
In 2018, 10 cities were responsible for more than 90 per cent of the venting, led by Port Alberni, B.C., which pumped out nearly 47 billion litres, followed by Richmond, B.C.'s 42 billion litres.
Conservative environment critic Kerry-Lynne Findlay said Thursday she thinks the data shows a failure of the federal Liberals to make clean water a priority.
"There is no reason in 2020 that major cities should not be addressing their wastewater," she said. "We need this to become a priority. We have the technology. It's a matter of having the political will to do it."
The Conservatives promised during the fall campaign to stop the dumping of raw sewage, a promise that was partly aimed at Quebec voters. Several cities in that province have purposely dumped untreated wastewater into rivers in recent years, mostly during construction or upgrades to existing systems.
Moira Kelly, spokesperson for Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson, said Thursday the Liberals approved more than $1.5 billion for 1,452 wastewater projects between 2015 and 2019.
"Unlike the Conservatives, we are not proposing cutting billions of dollars from much-needed infrastructure projects across the country, which was the Conservative campaign plan," she said. "Our government will continue to make investments in infrastructure to grow the economy and protect water."

Apparently Joe Clark has been deputized to lobby internationally for the UN Security Council seat.

It's been amusing to watch the Conservatives' online troll army become convinced that campaigning for a Security Council seat is something no government has ever done before.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Here we go, I doubt his competitors in the leadership race feel any different.

I hope Trudeau wins another majority for this crap if a no confidence vote somehow goes through.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Joe Clark has been deputized to lobby internationally for the UN Security Council seat.

It's been amusing to watch the Conservatives' online troll army become convinced that campaigning for a Security Council seat is something no government has ever done before.

Joe Clark is perfect. He's well respected on the world stage.