Canada PoliERA |OT 2| I Got Ninety Nine MPs, But An Albertan Ain't One

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yoooooo I take a night off from the internet and summer crazy shit happens in Alberta.

So I'm going to link to a discussion on Reddit about the actual issue cause the actual issue is so fucked up

This fucking company has a decal/sticker making fun of Greta Thunberg getting sexually violated. The owner, Doug Sparrow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/greta-thunberg-xsite-energy-sexual-image-1.5478561 (SFW)

And it's not the first time this company has done this. This is some fucked up shit
Scroll up like 7 posts.

EDIT: NVM, the tweet was deleted. It's pretty disgusting, especially those saying "she's 17, she's not a girl".

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Ontario by election (2 seats) were won by the liberal by large margins. Hopefully it's a glimmer of hope that the Conservative will only have one term.

However both seats were won by the liberal on last election. That said, the percentage was higher this time around.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario by election (2 seats) were won by the liberal by large margins. Hopefully it's a glimmer of hope that the Conservative will only have one term.

However both seats were won by the liberal on last election. That said, the percentage was higher this time around.
They conservatives are sore losers too. Where do they find these assholes?

Someone is pissed they didn't get on the Ford gravy train.

I'm sure he will find some overpaid job for her in government.

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
They conservatives are sore losers too. Where do they find these assholes?

Someone is pissed they didn't get on the Ford gravy train.

I'm sure he will find some overpaid job for her in government.
Considering she had no chance to win due to being in a generally quite Liberal area AND the current popularity of the Ford government that comment is certainly cringey/sore loser.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The NDP has a serious problem that doesn’t end at the federal level. I really don’t know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they’re in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada.

Of course it doesn’t help Horwath is uninspiring.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The NDP has a serious problem that doesn’t end at the federal level. I really don’t know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they’re in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada.

Of course it doesn’t help Horwath is uninspiring.
Two things here:
1. Horwath obviously should have retired a long time ago and it seems abundantly clear from me here way out west that the ONDP have hit a ceiling under her.

2. The support "pool is shallow" as you say because the NDP aren't doing what Bernie is doing down south. Bernie Sanders is doing well because he's cultivated a grass roots movement by organizing people on the margins that have been left out of the political process. We know that same thing exists here in Canada from that recent polling posted here that found big double digit percentage of people don't follow politics.

In contrast the NDP, beginning with Jack Layton (but at various provincial levels long before that) drifted toward Third Way Tony Blair centrism, and still haven't really found their way back to a clear and coherent social democratic vision.

Jagmeet Singh got a little bump in support and fundraising near the end of the last election because he started throwing out some feel good lines about taxing billionaires and a wealth tax, but ultimately it amounted to a sort of "cargo cult" Bernie Sanders play, and they really haven't backed it up with the follow through and hard work that Sanders has done.

The last remaining NDP government in Canada in BC recently released their budget and it was awfully timid and induced a fair amount of grumbling from the left. The NDP drift to centrism remains the trend.

It's a foolish strategy imo. We've seen again and again that when Canadians are faced with the choice between centrist Liberals and centrist NDP, they'll pick the original Liberal brand every time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
he NDP has a serious problem that doesn’t end at the federal level. I really don’t know who they are trying to appeal to now. I understand they’re in transition to court the Bernie crowd, but that pool is shallow in Canada
Who can they appeal to?

Ontario is "centrist" because a lot of people have done quite well under the current system. Look at all the expensive cars and houses in the GTA. I was stunned when I saw a Mclaren 720s(I think) on the road here.

Not enough people have been screwed by capitalism or realize they've been screwed.

The US is in far worse shape in many states. So Bernie's message resonates more with those that will listen.

We are one or two CPC majorities away from that. Kenney will turn Alberta into a wasteland of abandoned wells and tailing ponds.