• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed it's a flat $2000? Or scaled up based on previous income?

Also, if you are on normal EI and make less, will CERB top it up to $2000?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so to clarify once more so I understand fully. All EI claims starting March 15 will automatically move to CERB? That is good to know as many places including my place of employment didn't shut down till the 17th.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed it's a flat $2000? Or scaled up based on previous income?

Also, if you are on normal EI and make less, will CERB top it up to $2000?
From my understanding, no. There is no top off, you can only be on one. EI or CERB, not both at the same time.
If you're on EI currently and making less than 2k, you can only continue to receive EI until it runs out.

I'm unsure if you can opt to just quit EI and take CERB first and then take the latter afterwards.

Sounds like flat $2000, as long as you're unemployed or unable to work. (And you're 19 and over. And you've reported income of $5000 or over, last year.)
Ok so to clarify once more so I understand fully. All EI claims starting March 15 will automatically move to CERB? That is good to know as many places including my place of employment didn't shut down till the 17th.
Yes, that is correct. Any applications submitted from March 15th onwards will count as CERB and not EI for the immediate future.
CERB will apparently have less restrictions on it, making it easier to receive than EI.

Mar 3, 2018
So, I applied for EI on march 17th, that means it will get converted to CERB. Lets say in 4 months my job is still shut down, am I able to apply for EI then?

I guess we will have to wait and get more info form government.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, no. There is no top off, you can only be on one. EI or CERB, not both at the same time.
If you're on EI currently and making less than 2k, you can only continue to receive EI until it runs out.

I'm unsure if you can opt to just quit EI and take CERB first and then take the latter afterwards.

Sounds like flat $2000, as long as you're unemployed or unable to work. (And you're 19 and over. And you've reported income of $5000 or over, last year.)

Yes, that is correct. Any applications submitted from March 15th onwards will count as CERB and not EI for the immediate future.
CERB will apparently have less restrictions on it, making it easier to receive than EI.

Thank you. That helps with some of the anxiety. I'm glad so many people are not getting screwed over on this.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, I applied for EI on march 17th, that means it will get converted to CERB. Lets say in 4 months my job is still shut down, am I able to apply for EI then?

I guess we will have to wait and get more info form government.
Yep. That's correct. As long as you are eligible for EI when you've applied (worked enough hours before the crisis, still unemployed, didn't quit, etc.), you can do so again later.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
A friend who was receiving EI has now had it run out this past month and is not able to find work due to self-isolation. Are they eligible for the CERB? Seems like what I'm reading here this is missing those folks who were already unemployed prior to the pandemic.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend who was receiving EI has now had it run out this past month and is not able to find work due to self-isolation. Are they eligible for the CERB? Seems like what I'm reading here this is missing those folks who were already unemployed prior to the pandemic.
Apparently, as long as you had an income of $5,000 or more in either the past 12 months or for the year 2019, you'll get CERB if your EI has finished. They would have to apply for CERB once their EI has finished though and not before, especially since they would have applied for EI before March 15.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So let's say Canada gets this under control within a month (Asia stays stable, and Europe gets past the peak and things get manageable), but the United States goes full speed into the toilet. What happens? Canada's economy tanks along with the US's?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Ugh my French sucks, what's he saying?

I know he mentioned Scheer complaining about the 2020-2021 timeline and something about Giant Tiger.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused on how this whole program works. Aren't there people who stand to make more on EI than this $2000 payment? People who qualify for the max EI get $573 a week. That's still 55% of income. How does this solve the issue where without full mortgage and rent freezes, this amount isn't enough for many people? Car payments+rent/mortgage+utilities+food, is usually much more than this $2000 (or what you get through EI) for many Canadians.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So let's say Canada gets this under control within a month (Asia stays stable, and Europe gets past the peak and things get manageable), but the United States goes full speed into the toilet. What happens? Canada's economy tanks along with the US's?
To a degree it would definitely take a hit. I just hope we don't open the border when Trump decides 15 days is enough

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

Ugh my French sucks, what's he saying?

I know he mentioned Scheer complaining about the 2020-2021 timeline and something about Giant Tiger.

"Same thing for the negotiations to achieve this law project ( not sure of the expression in english) and when I compare it with the version we had this morning, there are some differences but they're not that big. I'll give an example, the Conservative Party leader is talking about December 31st 2021 until September 30th 2020, at the end of the summer. It was already in this morning's version. Did the Elephant give birth to a mouse or did the giant tiger turn into a docile cat."

French is my first language and I don't understand what he means here when talking about the dates. I think he just mixed up some dates, he's clearly talking about how everything was already there in the old version

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused on how this whole program works. Aren't there people who stand to make more on EI than this $2000 payment? People who qualify for the max EI get $573 a week. That's still 55% of income. How does this solve the issue where without full mortgage and rent freezes, this amount isn't enough for many people? Car payments+rent/mortgage+utilities+food, is usually much more than this $2000 (or what you get through EI) for many Canadians.
Just doing the math...

Max EI is if you made $54,200 before you applied for EI. $573 x 4 weeks is $2,292 or $29,796/yr.
CERB is $2000 (26,000/yr) as long as you made $5000 in 2019. So you lose about $292 a month.

CERB is basically $12.5/hr if it was based on a 40h work week.
EI varies, but at max is $14.325/hr, but you need to have made $54k before that, which is like $26/hr.
If you made... let's say $15/hr before that, you would only receive... 15x40x52x.55/52 = 330 a week or basically $8.25/hr.

It is barely enough for a single person living alone. Rent/mortgage is more than 1.4k, car around .2k, .1 electricity (overestimating), .1 heat(overestimating) you're left with... 200 dollars for food and other things.
If you have a family, you are screwed if you were the only money maker in the family.
But if it's two adults claiming CERB you're basically making $52k a year, which is considered lower middle class.

...In case anyone was interested in the particulars.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Meanwhile, the CPC leadership frontrunner is...trying to kill their own party?

More politicians should be so brave as to voice their endorsement for a "murder the CPC with a hammer and toss the body in an oil well" plan.
I think he's referring to the party's leadership campaign but seriously, now is not the time. If he is actually referring to another election, the odds are against themmkay.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just doing the math...

Max EI is if you made $54,200 before you applied for EI. $573 x 4 weeks is $2,292 or $29,796/yr.
CERB is $2000 (26,000/yr) as long as you made $5000 in 2019. So you lose about $292 a month.

EI varies, but at max is $14.325/hr, but you need to have made $54k before that, which is like $26/hr.
If you made... let's say $15/hr before that, you would only receive... 15x40x52x.55/52 = 330 a week or basically $8.25/hr.

It is barely enough for a single person living alone. Rent/mortgage is more than 1.4k, car around .2k, .1 electricity (overestimating), .1 heat(overestimating) you're left with... 200 dollars for food and other things.
If you have a family, you are screwed if you were the only money maker in the family.
But if it's two adults claiming CERB you're basically making $52k a year, which is considered lower middle class.

Yikes. I've never done the math. It's weird, because I've always been living the struggle life and didn't qualify for EI as a grad student because I literally didn't have enough hours so I never thought about it (really lucky to live in in a place with cheap rent at the time)... and now I'm in an okay-ish position and it never occurred to me that EI is little better than a grad student stipend. Both EI and CERB really should be 3-4k a month, scaled with the cost of living in your area not with your income.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yikes. I've never done the math. It's weird, because I've always been living the struggle life and didn't qualify for EI as a grad student because I literally didn't have enough hours so I never thought about it (really lucky to live in in a place with cheap rent at the time)... and now I'm in an okay-ish position and it never occurred to me that EI is little better than a grad student stipend. Both EI and CERB really should be 3-4k a month, scaled with the cost of living in your area not with your income.
But will any of the pieces of shit that complain about "lazy" people on EI remember this later? I'm gonna say no.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Just doing the math...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out. That $200 you're left with for food and other things, would be dented hard when the telcoms do this:

MilkyThriftyAntelope-size_restricted.gif

As you pay your cell phone bill (plus cable for those paying for that). Don't forget gas as well. You really aren't left with much at all (and we haven't even factored people paying credit card bills and other expenses). As you pointed out this is the best case scenario for a single person.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Just doing the math...

Thanks for doing the math!

I've been laid off at all 3 of my workplaces (one of them is just a temporary layoff...) so my income is now zero.

I intend to apply for CERB, but would I be allowed to get CERB AND take on a temporary part time job so that my income is closer to what it was before?

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for doing the math!

I've been laid off at all 3 of my workplaces (one of them is just a temporary layoff...) so my income is now zero.

I intend to apply for CERB, but would I be allowed to get CERB AND take on a temporary part time job so that my income is closer to what it was before?
That I cannot answer. I want to say yes, but I don't know how they would deduct it from the 2k you will get, yet.

We'll know soon, I hope.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

More politicians should be so brave as to voice their endorsement for a "murder the CPC with a hammer and toss the body in an oil well" plan.
I think he's referring to the party's leadership campaign but seriously, now is not the time. If he is actually referring to another election, the odds are against themmkay.

Plus it's a distraction we do not need and dangerous because it breaks self-isolation. Hard pass.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. We desperately need an election while recovering from a pandemic. I look forward to the liberal super majority.

In other news i was able to fill up my tank with only $13 at Costco gas station. 58 c/L!

This honest take from a conservative strategist is quite telling.

Last edited:

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
So, about this 2000$. I'm supposed to finish my Masters in May but won't be able to find a job for sure (architecture intern here) so I'm kind of fucked. Am I eligible even though I don't have an employer right now? My friends (which are all in the same boat as me) and I can't seem to find infos on that.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out. That $200 you're left with for food and other things, would be dented hard when the telcoms do this:

MilkyThriftyAntelope-size_restricted.gif

As you pay your cell phone bill (plus cable for those paying for that). Don't forget gas as well. You really aren't left with much at all (and we haven't even factored people paying credit card bills and other expenses). As you pointed out this is the best case scenario for a single person.

As someone who has been laid off for reasons beyond my control and on EI before -- you obviously need to cancel your cable/phone plan if you can't afford it. EI is a stop gap, not "keep living your life as you know it".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This honest take from a conservative strategist is quite telling

They want power. The rat fuckers see opportunity in bailing out their O&G friends as well as opportunities to privitize services when people are scared of dying.

Kenney is gutting Alberta's healthcare while pushing a private healthcare "app" as a solution. We'd see this countrywide. Alberta is their test laboratory of what they want to do nationwide.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
In like "normal" news, the Supreme Court is hearing the appeal on the City of Toronto Act mess that happened during the municipal election 2 years ago:
toronto.ctvnews.ca

Appeal over 2018 slash to Toronto city council will be heard by Supreme Court

The Supreme Court of Canada has agreed to hear an appeal from the City of Toronto over the province’s decision to unilaterally slash the size of city council just a few months before the last municipal election.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So, about this 2000$. I'm supposed to finish my Masters in May but won't be able to find a job for sure (architecture intern here) so I'm kind of fucked. Am I eligible even though I don't have an employer right now? My friends (which are all in the same boat as me) and I can't seem to find infos on that.
I think the only qualifier is the 5000 dollars of earnings. Once they realize so many people don't qualify for that, hopefully they just drop that requirement altogether.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been laid off for reasons beyond my control and on EI before -- you obviously need to cancel your cable/phone plan if you can't afford it. EI is a stop gap, not "keep living your life as you know it".

Some people are on those two year contracts where the phone was subsidised, they might also be on contract with the cable too. Cancelling those cell phones is going to require hundreds of dollars upfront to pay off the tab they owe for the phone. All in all, rent/ + bills will eat up most of the help being provided to people. Telling people to cancel is just not a feasible solution for many.

The amount the government is providing is fine if people are getting help some way with deferring some of the bills. The student loan payment freeze for example will help many.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that he was actually able to pull this off is still mind boggling to me. A move purely motivated by spite.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that he was actually able to pull this off is still mind boggling to me. A move purely motivated by spite.

This is why I'm still not voting for him at the next election. I'm really glad he's actually taking COVID-19 seriously, but at the same time, as a "peace time" Premier, he's horrible, and I can't see him reconsidering his ways once this is all over.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts

Canadian oil price craters as Western Canadian Select plummets to $6.50 US after dropping $2.79 a barrel (30%). Represents all-time low, mainly due to diminished demand from industries hit by coronavirus and supply glut resulting from Saudi Arabia-driven price war.​

2:55 PM - Mar 26, 2020

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

This is massive news. The Federal government and Provincial government had previously been very reluctant to take this step, despite the advocacy of BC's public health officer (who we are suddenly all listening to).

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart says the federal government has given the green light for a safe supply of drugs for Downtown Eastside residents in light of the COVID-19 crisis.

"We must tackle the poisoned drug epidemic, something that has already cost us more than 1,000 lives," said Stewart during a news conference where a wide variety of measures to help DTES residents from contracting or spreading the COVID-19 virus was announced.

Stewart said the details of the rollout would come from the provincial government in the days ahead, and would be focused on the 20 to 30 per cent of drug users in the community not already connected with health-care providers and existing safe injection sites.

B.C. Chief Medical Health Officer Bonnie Henry has called for a safer supply of drugs for over a year, saying it would allow drug users to "seek help without the fear of being charged criminally."

This is likely a reaction to the fact that the border closure has had the side effect of restricting the drug supply in Vancouver, which has resulted in spiking drug costs and rising threat of crime as drug users become more desperate to get the drugs they need to avoid becoming sick.

More about this from this recent article

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
www.thestar.com

TTC says it’s losing about $18 million a week in fares, will need bailout over COVID-19 ridership crash

According to the latest numbers, ridership on the country’s busiest transit system is down about 70 to 72 per cent systemwide. Mo one remembers anything “ever having an impact like that,” CEO Rick Leary said.

Businesses getting help, but what about the oft forgotten essential service? Public transit across the country is going to need some financial help to maintain service levels.