• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
i did the math... projected canada population minus territories divide by 279, divide each projected population by result and i get:

Ontario is projected to be 113 seats
Alberta 34 seats

edit: wait ontario loses seats wat

Yeah exactly. There is some disagreement on what the numbers will be, but because it's based on % of pop, not absolute numbers, it's likely that Alberta and BC will gain, and the rest will stay close to the same since those two provinces are growing faster.

Which is dumb. That means the only way to ensure Ontario and the West get fair and equal representation is a constantly growing parliament. We will end up like the UK with a parliment where not every member can attend debates as they're not enough room in the buidling.
It's not dumb. Since in our system the House of Commons is effectively the only chamber that matters, it's about insuring that all provinces have some minimal level of presence in it. The initial move to create a floor through which no province could fall in terms of MPs came after PEI lost 2 of its original 6 members in the decades after Confederation, and was about to lose a third; hence the rule that no province could have fewer MPs than it had senators.

i did the math... projected canada population minus territories divide by 279, divide each projected population by result and i get:

Ontario is projected to be 113 seats
Alberta 34 seats

edit: wait ontario loses seats wat
No province has lost seats in redistricting in many, many years, and that won't happen next time either. They'll add more seats to the House again.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty big day in BC.

B.C. tables historic Indigenous rights bill in move to implement UN declaration
Province will become 1st in Canada to legally enshrine 'minimum standards' of rights if bill passes

B.C.'s promised bill on Indigenous rights has been tabled in the legislature, and if passed, the province will be the first in Canada to legally implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).

Since the province committed to the legislation more than a year ago, a team from the Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation has been working with the First Nations Leadership Council to draft the historic bill.

"This legislation is a real catalyst for significant change," said Premier John Horgan after the bill was introduced.

"This bill is critically important because Indigenous rights are human rights. We all want to live in a province where the standard of living for Indigenous Peoples is the same as every other human being in the province."

Indigenous leaders from across the province and across the country filled the gallery, some invited to sit on the floor of the central aisle. Those present represented the range of political leadership among Indigenous communities — there were elected MLAs, MPs Jody Wilson-Raybould and outgoing NDP MP Romeo Saganash, hereditary chiefs, elected chiefs and Elders.

The legislation is meant to provide a framework for the province to align its laws with the standards of the UN declaration — something Indigenous groups have long been advocating for in B.C. and across the country.

At its core, the legislation has been discussed among Indigenous leaders as a way to improve government-to-government relations.

"It moves us away from a relationship of denial," Cheryl Casimer, one of the First Nations Summit political executives, said in an interview on CBC's On the Coast.

"Denial of our rights, denial of our title, denial of our basic human rights — and puts us in a position where we can sit as equal decision-maker at tables where decisions are being made that impact our lives."

"What this declaration does is now recognize that Indigenous Peoples have the inherent right to self-government and to make decisions and have power," said Ed John, who has long worked to advocate for the rights of Indigenous communities in Canada and internationally.

John was involved with the development of the declaration as a representative for the Assembly of First Nations. He was in New York City when Canada formally opposed the declaration's adoption in the UN General Assembly in 2007.

He was also there when Canada came back to the table in 2016 and endorsed it.

"There was a standing ovation, believe it or not, from Indigenous Peoples around the world. And you don't see standing ovations at the UN."

UNDRIP has now been endorsed by both B.C. and Canada. It consists of 46 articles meant to recognize the basic human rights of Indigenous people along with their rights to self-determination.

Article 43 states the rights detailed in the declaration represent "the minimum standards for the survival, dignity and well-being of the Indigenous peoples of the world."

"This is about recognizing human rights applied to Indigenous peoples, and it's something that governments of all stripes have not done before despite the fact it's in the Constitution of Canada," Scott Fraser, the B.C. minister of Indigenous relations, said Wednesday.

Fraser introduced the bill for a first reading on Thursday morning. He spoke about next steps and about how the legislation provides a path forward in the government-to-government relationship between Indigenous Peoples and the province.

"By working together we get better outcomes. That is how we create opportunities for Indigenous Peoples, for B.C. businesses, for communities and for families everywhere," he said.

This isn't the the first time UNDRIP legislation has been introduced in Canada.

In 2016, outgoing NDP MP Romeo Saganash introduced bill C-262 in Ottawa, which was described as "an act to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples."

The bill passed in the House of Commons in 2018, but died earlier this year after getting held up in the Senate so did not become law.

Speaking to reporters in Victoria on Thursday afternoon Horgan said he's confident the provincial bill will pass.

And there's still a chance UNDRIP legislation will be brought forward in Ottawa again.

Jody Wilson-Raybould, the newly elected Independent MP and former Liberal cabinet minister, said the country needs to create mechanisms to enable Indigenous people to be self-determining, something she will push for when she returns to her Ottawa work.

"I'm going to continue to be a strong voice, to advocate for rights recognition in the country much like the province of British Columbia is doing today," Wilson-Raybould said in a phone interview on CBC's The Early Edition Thursday.

In B.C., Horgan campaigned on a promise to legislate UNDRIP, and his throne speech reiterated the government's commitment.

"We need to address reconciliation in British Columbia, not just for social justice ... but for economic equality for all citizens, Indigenous and non-Indigenous."

NDP MP Romeo Saganash passed a bill that would have had the same impact Federally, but it was held up in the Senate by shenanigans and it died. I'd expect the NDP will try again to pass another bill this upcoming parliament. (I believe the Liberals also promised this)

I thought this commentary was interesting. I think there's many politicians in Canada that would not say this, or at least they would not venture this sort of statement on their own initiative. Twitter thread worth a read.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
New thread! Exciting.

Big changes for the Greens coming before next election:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/green-party-priorities-letter-trudeau-1.5333869

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says she will not stay on as leader of her party for another four years but intends to run again and continue to serve as a Member of Parliament for the B.C. riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

"I don't think I will stay on as leader for four more years. I will run again, I hope. As long as my health holds up I'd love to be the Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands for another term and I'd love to work with another leader," May said during a news conference at her constituency office Thursday.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
New thread! Exciting.

Big changes for the Greens coming before next election:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/green-party-priorities-letter-trudeau-1.5333869
I think we all pretty much called this in the old thread. You could tell that May was waiting until she had some backup in some safer seats before she passed on the torch.

It will be a shame though. While she does hold some controvercial and soundbyte worthy views both in past and present. She performed phenominally in the debates and it'll suck not having her there to call out everyone else for their lies and games on national TV.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty big day in BC.

NDP MP Romeo Saganash passed a bill that would have had the same impact Federally, but it was held up in the Senate by shenanigans and it died. I'd expect the NDP will try again to pass another bill this upcoming parliament. (I believe the Liberals also promised this)

I thought this commentary was interesting. I think there's many politicians in Canada that would not say this, or at least they would not venture this sort of statement on their own initiative. Twitter thread worth a read.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If Alberta is X% amount of the population they should have X% amount of parliament seats. Right now parliament screws over Alberta, Vancouver, and the GTA in favour of the other provinces. Those 3 regions are underrepresented.
I'd be in favour of alberta getting more if vancouver and the gta also got more

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty big day in BC.

Glad to see both of these developments.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty big day in BC.

He is the Woke Premier™.

Oct 25, 2017
honest question. How long does Canada remain indigenous land? Until it matches the ~18,000 years people have lived here? I completely support helping repair some of the shit aboriginal people have dealt with (I hope that support goes to groups that need it most, not rich ass ones like the Squamish band) but the amount of stuff I deal with at work that has to be prefaced with "and we do this on unseeded aboriginal land of the X people" followed by some indigenous language prayer always feels very odd to me. I just wonder what the end game is. Does it get to a point where aboriginal Canadians are socio-economically at par with other Canadians and it just fades away?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
what's funny is that my riding is one of the few Quebec ridings where the Bloc dropped in vote share this election 2019 compared to 2015

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
honest question. How long does Canada remain indigenous land? Until it matches the ~18,000 years people have lived here? I completely support helping repair some of the shit aboriginal people have dealt with (I hope that support goes to groups that need it most, not rich ass ones like the Squamish band) but the amount of stuff I deal with at work that has to be prefaced with "and we do this on unseeded aboriginal land of the X people" followed by some indigenous language prayer always feels very odd to me. I just wonder what the end game is. Does it get to a point where aboriginal Canadians are socio-economically at par with other Canadians and it just fades away?
Here's another possibility coming from the opposite angle: does it get to the point where land returns and Canada, understood as a Westphalian nation state, dissolves into an assemblage of all of us?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
2tFe7Cv_d.jpg

I hate them, I swear. These smug motherfuckers. They actively want to hurt people, and I'm sorry. With how blatant they advertise what they want to do, those who vote for them are just as big of a piece of shit as they are.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Media largely giving Scheer a free pass on the election. Even the Toronto Star.

I'm stunned how utterly useless they were. Only day before the election did someone put his feet to the fire for his BS.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I'm stunned how utterly useless they were. Only day before the election did someone put his feet to the fire for his BS.

Delacourt i typically consider a conservative commentator for the Star. She's often associated with the likes of John Ivison and various other CTV commentators. She's no Chantal Hebert.

Also. Notley giving no free pass to Singh.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Reporting in from Saskatchewan. Mood: feelasbadman. Lost my NDP rep, who actually got more votes than she did in 2015, but still lost anyway because there were so many Lib -> Con voters.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Notley of course, but disagree with her on this issue strongly. It's one issue where her Alberta-ness really comes out.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Reporting in from Saskatchewan. Mood: feelasbadman. Lost my NDP rep, who actually got more votes than she did in 2015, but still lost anyway because there were so many Lib -> Con voters.
Surely the sort of person who would bother voting Liberal in Saskatchewan isn't going to switch to the Cons? I'd sooner guess it was more Cons motivated to get out and vote.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Surely the sort of person who would bother voting Liberal in Saskatchewan isn't going to switch to the Cons? I'd sooner guess it was more Cons motivated to get out and vote.
2015:
NDP - 14,921
CPC - 12,401
LPC - 9,234

2019:
NDP - 15,270 (+349)
CPC - 18,406 (+6005)
LPC - 2,763 (-6471)

Turnout was almost identical, but there's nearly a 1:1 bleed from LCP to CPC.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Saskachewachudoin..
I assume people who are sick of Trudeau being slick and vain and "woke" aren't going to go for Singh who is almost the same personality-wise and image-wise save the Indian+Sikh factor (and racists are gonna racist).

Yay! new thread of fun!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Every party dd oppo this time around so /shrug.

Considering the Sasketchewan party, I assume that it's very likely they would share the same voter pool (not that they wouldn't anyway based on policy).

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Scheer's campaign during the election proved that absolutely nobody should trust him about anything.

Also, apparently he wants to do what Harper did. We'll see if the party will actually keep him or not:

Scheer said he has spoken since Monday with former prime minister Stephen Harper, who has been talking with many senior Conservatives this week for a debriefing. The party is framing the results as akin to Harper's first election as Conservative leader in 2004, when he too reduced the Liberal government to a minority.

Harper would go on to win his own minority in 2006, clinching a majority five years later.

As for how long the Liberals will hold on to power, Scheer said he wants to hear a throne speech that lays out a plan to get natural resources to market, and an acknowledgment that deficit spending needs to get under control.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Scheer Lion: "Look, the big fangs, the claws, the fact that I can only eat meat, none of that matters. A carnivore whose viewpoints on herbivores is that they should all be devoured, can be king of the jungle, and the herbivores should be able to trust me to not govern based on my natural carnivorous instincts. Vote for me, I promise I won't eat you!"

BlankGenuineGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

"I pinky promise not to eat you!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Scheer Lion: "Look, the big fangs, the claws, the fact that I can only eat meat, none of that matters. A carnivore who's viewpoints on herbivores is that they should all be devoured, can be king of the jungle, and the herbivores should be able to trust me to not govern based on my natural carnivorous instincts. Vote for me, I promise I won't eat you!"

BlankGenuineGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

"I pinky promise not to eat you!"

LMAO! That's very good.