• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
PSWKSDF4VFBKXMBWFN45KOUFYI.JPG

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yah the Globe outline he was ready to launch on Sunday. Something came up, there's no way it's a "I want to have another child" thing. Oppo research found something. Maybe he's an american and forgot to file his papers...

What credentials and degree does Pierre claim to have?

Maybe someone checked.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So Poilievre went from "I'm going in, and I have everything ready for my campaign launch on Sunday" to "I won't do it for family reasons" in only 24 hours. Yeah, somebody probably talked to him...

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
looks all those anti-abortion and anti-gay past comments were already locked and loaded

so-cons ca no longer hide
--

Jean Charest must be kicking himself silly for quitting early

Last edited:

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
In an alternate timeline, Mad Max reacts to his 2017 loss like a big boy, bites his tong and bides his time, becomes CPC leader in 2020, becomes Prime minister amid a devastating recession in 2021, realizes his long-life dreams of ending supply management and defunding the CBC in 2022.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
In an alternate timeline, Mad Max reacts to his 2017 loss like a big boy, bites his tong and bides his time, becomes CPC leader in 2020, becomes Prime minister amid a devastating recession in 2021, realizes his long-life dreams of ending supply management and defunding the CBC in 2022.
It's funny. This basically puts any decision you have to make in perspective, because no matter how badly your choice turns out, you probably can't fuck up as much as Bernier.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Stuff like this doesn't help.

Uh..environmental issues with regards to the USMCA are something specific, i'd say; multiple environmental organizations have raised major concerns about the agreement's ineffectiveness at addressing climate change, among other environmental concerns, even after the Democrats negotiated further amendments:

The coalition specifically lamented that the trade agreement "does not even mention climate change, fails to adequately address toxic pollution, includes weak environmental standards and an even weaker enforcement mechanism, supports fossil fuels, and allows oil and gas corporations to challenge climate and environmental protections."
Democrats did negotiate certain environmental standards into the deal, including the adoption of multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) and the restoration of a provision in the old NAFTA that prioritizes the MEA commitments.
However, the green groups were not satisfied.

"We cannot afford to lock ourselves into a multi-decade deal that ignores climate change and helps corporate polluters," they wrote. "Instead, as we negotiate and renegotiate trade deals, we need to meaningfully address the climate crisis and ensure we're leaving a safe, healthy planet for our communities and for generations to come."
Singh could have made a better case but the USMCA doesn't do a great job at raising current standards for environmental regulation. It being "the best we could get under Trump is only an indicator that we should maybe wait until 2021 before ratification for obvious reasons.

The environmental community asked for a renegotiated NAFTA to require each country to adopt, maintain, and implement policies to fulfill their obligations under top-priority Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs), including all of the MEAs to which the U.S. is a party and other critical MEAs ratified by most countries in the world. Otherwise, countries will continue to have the incentive to violate their MEA commitments in order to boost trade or investment, spelling threats to air, water, climate stability, and ecosystems.

What's in NAFTA 2.0: The deal replicates the same, inadequate list of seven MEAs that were reinforced in the last four U.S. trade agreements. (The 2019 revision returns to the inadequate status quo after the 2018 deal took a step backwards by only effectively reinforcing one MEA.) The deal makes no mention of additional top-priority MEAs that serve critical roles for trade-related environmental protection, including other MEAs ratified by the U.S. and/or nearly all countries in the world concerning climate change, transboundary air pollution, mercury pollution, protection of the Caribbean, and other environmental priorities.
The Trump administration's 2018 text included a new "rule of origin" that would make it cheaper for oil corporations to export climate-polluting tar sands oil to the U.S. through dangerous oil pipelines like Keystone XL. The text also failed to include a provision that is needed to preserve the U.S.'s autonomy to determine if gas exports to Mexico and Canada are in the public interest. This provision is necessary to fix NAFTA's automatic gas export guarantee, which has contributed to a five-fold surge in gas exports to Mexico since 2010, fueling increased fracking in the U.S. and expansion of controversial cross-border gas pipelines.

What's in NAFTA 2.0: The deal's 2019 revision keeps intact both of these handouts to corporate polluters. As such, the deal would promote reliance on fossil fuels, undercutting our transition to a clean energy economy.
You missed the part where he puts us back on the gold standard. I'm not kidding, he wanted to do that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And if Trump wins?

Which I think he will, then what?

And if it's not Trump then it's Biden who's GOP lite. You ain't getting much out of him either.
We tell him that such a super bill has passed, with the biggest (so big, it's beautiful just how big and strong it was) vote in Canadian history.

Then we hope the planet isn't desecrated by 2024 while advocating for stronger environmental laws on the provincial and federal level, as well as abroad when multiple countries reconvene as part of the Paris Agreement later this very year re: setting more ambitious goals to cutting emissions and increasing funding for green energy projects.

I think 45 is dead in the water (lowest approval ratings of any incumbent since Ford, who lost re-election, with no actual legislative accomplishments and whose policies may cause a recession) and will lose to basically any of the Democratic candidates that are still in the race (I also don't think Biden will win the primary given current polling in the early states and how that affects the overall race i.e. "hey this person was able to win Iowa, guess it's not so risky to back ___ now!"), the question is whether or not the Democrats will have a trifecta or be handicapped via the Senate.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The screencap is quite nightmare inducing. Maybe that's that? Does he use the same spraytan as Donald?

I have a hard time believing that someone's pulling the string for MacKay. Maybe Harper really is coming back.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
If the NDP were to ram through pharmacare tomorrow and remove private coverage that would screw me over pretty good if it's anything like Ontario's drug program from what I read.

Your employer could have a bad quarter and decide to remove your pharmacare plan at any moment.

The difference with public pharmacare is that it's democratically run instead of being driven by private, for profit interests. If a government scales back on the quality of heathcare, citizens cans influence that decision through protest or at the polling booth. Same can't be said for changes to benefits given to employees from a private company.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Your employer could have a bad quarter and decide to remove your pharmacare plan at any moment

True. It's more likely they'd lay off a percentage of the workforce first.

I've had that happen before. So I found a better job with better benefits.
The difference with public pharmacare is that it's democratically run instead of being driven by private, for profit interests. If a government scales back on the quality of heathcare, citizens cans influence that decision through protest or at the polling booth

Ahh yes I've tried that before. Doug Ford still won't budge. It's pretty soul crushing to be an activist for your family's future and health against a corrupt government.

It's hard to make it out to protests. Online activism is more convenient but it's amazing how many right wing trolls come out to attack you.

"You're just looking for a handout, go get a job!"

Doug Ford actually hired Warren Kinsella's firm to train these fuckers to come after us too.

The democratic process is being slowly eroded, I think we're all aware of that here.

But as I said I'm not against the idea but without details on how it would work or how there'd be a seamless transition (it won't) it's hard to be excited for a hypothetical idea with little details.

I'm just pointing out that a lot of the resistance is due to fears of lost or delayed coverage which is a problem for households like mine where quality of life is at stake.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Opposition supporters had lost their collective minds.

Another op-ed speculating who goes in the race.

Despite the headline, it mainly talks of Christy Clark.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Does C. Clark speak french?

I really doubt it.

Clark's name gets floated for fed politics all the time. She never seems interested.

Personally I think it would be pretty hard for her to make that transition. She immediately became very divisive in BC and arguably only won the election she won due to a weak af NDP leader and a "Hail Mary play" election campaign based on a big impossible "LNG prosperity for everyone 100,000 jobs!" promise that she was unable to fulfill.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, when our office manager brings in donuts or pizza or something for an event it's always from some nice local place. Not Tim Hortons or Little Caesar's. If I worked for Trudeau and he brought Tim Hortons donuts I would think that is some weak shit.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I'm starting to think Rempel is the chosen one among the Harper toadies. She obviously has his ear considering yesterday's tweet. Then there's her whole "They're only talking about French, Québec and Ontario. Won't anybody think of the West!?!" routine. Expect her to announce soon and become the defender of western values.
Plus, I'm sure "Ackchyually, we're the real feminist here" is a hit in the CPC focus groups.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Why would we get news from CNN?

Expats?

I can't imagine many conservatives going to CBC either.

News links get shared around on social media these days. If the headline is catchy people click it whether it's CBC, CNN or the Sun etc.

Similar to JJ Mccullough's crap for WaPo.

I'm starting to think Rempel is the chosen one among the Harper toadies. She obviously has his ear considering yesterday's tweet. Then there's her whole "They're only talking about French, Québec and Ontario. Won't anybody think of the West!?!" routine. Expect her to announce soon and become the defender of western values.
Plus, I'm sure "Ackchyually, we're the real feminist here" is a hit in the CPC focus groups.

Scheer ran on a pro- West platform. What's gonna do for them in an election?

I was seeing these ads in Ontario during election why would anyone in this part of Canada care?

8fULhzy.png

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Scheer ran on a pro- West platform. What's gonna do for them in an election?

I was seeing these ads in Ontario during election why would anyone in this part of Canada care?

Well, there's obviously powerful figures telling people not to run. I would be really surprised if they're doing that to crown an easterner red tory, unless they believe it's their only way to win (which I doubt). There has to be someone waiting on the sidelines.