• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
An app? They're using an app? It's democracy, not f'ing TikTok.

'Merica.

Someone took the "there's an app for that" line way too far.

This entire year is going to be an absolute shit show south of the border. God I'm so happy for our relatively short election cycle.

It's been a shitshow for a while, they're hitting a new level.

Our "scandals" this year consisted of beards, donuts and yoga.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Some people believe Elections Canada are "Liberal partisans" etc.

Many fools and disingenous bad actors in our country too.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
In a major victory for Trans Mountain, Federal Court dismisses Indigenous appeal of project's approval

As for the Tsleil-Waututh, that First Nation near Vancouver also argued Ottawa didn't consider the possibility of a spill. The court found that Ottawa has a "duty to consult" but not a "duty to agree" with the experts the First Nation cited when discussing the impact of such a spill.

This all feels so paternalistic.

But again, I'm in Punished Snake mode at this point so all I can do is shrug.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Apparently it requires assigning people 6 digit pin codes etc..
That's horrific. As a programmer I feel sick that someone decided that was an adequate solution for an app that lets you literally vote.

I could come up with several better solutions that would be much more secure than that.

Please just use paper ballots, everyone!!!!
I can't this, this enough.

Hell, I don't even care if you have a machine that tabulates the results, Just keep a paper backup and make sure you manually verify it sometime during the lame duck turnover period.

Hell, even if it is a complex ballot that nessessitates a machine walk you through with a pretty UI and print your ballot for you. Just for the love of God have that machine print out a paper backup for proof of non-tampering. And manually validate its total.

Also if there is a machine, it's code and schematics should be 100% open source by default. None of this black box security that doesn't work.

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Many Albertans were getting rebates back the first year the program was in effect. Then came the UCP, and no more rebates. But yeah, let's still complain about how Ottawa is fucking us. Good job Alberta.

Actually since the UCP backed out of the NDP carbon tax it reverted to the federal carbon tax and now all Albertans will be getting a return as opposed to before where it was just low income folks.

That JOB KILLING CARBON TAX which will financially ruin Canadians strikes again.

There is so much ignorance around the carbon Tax that I legitimately think Albertans are going to be shocked when they start getting money back from it.

Oct 25, 2017
That's horrific. As a programmer I feel sick that someone decided that was an adequate solution for an app that lets you literally vote.

I could come up with several better solutions that would be much more secure than that.

I can't this, this enough.

Hell, I don't even care if you have a machine that tabulates the results, Just keep a paper backup and make sure you manually verify it sometime during the lame duck turnover period.

Hell, even if it is a complex ballot that nessessitates a machine walk you through with a pretty UI and print your ballot for you. Just for the love of God have that machine print out a paper backup for proof of non-tampering. And manually validate its total.

Also if there is a machine, it's code and schematics should be 100% open source by default. None of this black box security that doesn't work.

It didn't let ppl vote, it was to transmit the results to the party.... Which is still bad but not as bad

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I noticed people complaining that they didn't get rebates for the last tax year (2018).

They wouldn't have (unless they were "low income". Last year we were on the NDP carbon tax until the UCP scrapped that which meant we had to adopt the federal carbon tax.

However the federal carbon tax didn't officially kick in until January 1st. The rebate people would be getting now covers the carbon taxes paid in the year 2020.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The CPC and the Ontario PC seem to have quite a few of these home-schooled and christian-schooled weirdos. Can you imagine in a few years when all the 16 y/o Jordan Peterson disciples get into politics as well. Fun time ahead.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly would prefer just calling him what he is: a pretender backed by the US.

Yeah I know, the whole situation sucks.

Claiming Maduro is democratically elected is a giant stretch as well.

2 shitty leaders backed by opposing powers and another proxy war brewing, this one maybe with nukes.

Construction of what will be Canada's largest solar farm will soon start in southern Alberta after the project secured a major funding partner.

Greengate Power announced Monday that the Travers Solar project in Vulcan County will receive $500 million in funding from Denmark-based Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners.

Construction is set to start midway through this year and will finish in 2021.

Hmm investors putting money into solar not O&G.

I wonder if a certain group of people in AB will take a hint

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

No no, surely this is a conspiracy headed by the Progressive Agenda. We the Conservative Party of Canada and its provincial affiliates will work hard to protect you the people from this propaganda by spending your hard worked tax payer dollars on our hard working folks in the oil patch. Never again will we allow another dollar to be spent on the evil that is "solar" farms.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
No no, surely this is a conspiracy headed by the Progressive Agenda. We the Conservative Party of Canada and its provincial affiliates will work hard to protect you the people from this propaganda by spending your hard worked tax payer dollars on our hard working folks in the oil patch. Never again will we allow another dollar to be spent on the evil that is "solar" farms.

I wonder how soon they'll catch on that these groups like United We Troll or The Rebel don't even really support oil patch workers if they ..... oh for example dares seek better working conditions.

They're being used.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

3o72u8.jpg

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Investors from Denmark. These damn Euros are just trying to weaken real Canadian jobs for their own ends!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a capitalist society, yet when the free market has spoken, the government has to subsidize a dying industry and we can't even use money for way better things.

They're all about capitalism and the free market until their livelihood is affected then they become instant advocates for government intervention.

Alberta is screaming for a national energy program, suspiciously similar to the one Trudeau's father wanted to put in, which they rejected for the almighty "free market".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Now the BQ has gone off the rails.

This is a worrisome statement, attacking the independence of the Judiciary, just because you don't like the outcome.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Now the BQ has gone off the rails.

This is a worrisome statement, attacking the independence of the Judiciary, just because you don't like the outcome.

Insane, crazy train doesn't end here.

Want something cringy? That CPC MP that talked down to the NDP MP about sex work made a rap video a while ago...

"Hit like and subscribe if you like and want more content..."

Last edited:

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
When he was a political commentator on Les Ex, Y-F Blanchet would constantly straddle the line between reality and conspiracy theories. Not the chemtrails or flat earth kind, but he would constantly insinuate that the people he disagrees with were involved in grand nefarious scheme and that if they didn't face consequences, it was because they were protected by various people involved in cover-ups. I'm surprised it took this long for his old instincts to kick in in his new career in federal politics.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Using taxpayer money to boost your follower count lol.
And when you're caught you immediately try and destroy all copies and say it was an accident.

rqeTFHT.png

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty pessimistic prediction. So I'll counter with an optimistic one!

The Conservative Party will never again win a majority government.

Did we throw out FPTP? Because a Liberal fuck up and the Canadian electorate's insane drive to punish incumbent parties with electoral defeats, are as guaranteed as death and taxes.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

The USA is now a dictatorship. Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.

I'd say the optimistic prediction is "All bets are off".

People underestimate what lengths they're willing to go to. We had our warnings with Robocalls and prorogation.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Yeaaaaah.The Conservatives will win again. They dont even really need to change all that much, or become more progressive. They literally own the media. The left is still divided and the vote split. Manufacture enough scandals and say "Atleast we arean't the USA" enough times, rotating leaders each election and the public will eventually get angry enough at the incubent that they'll feel the need to "throw out the bums". Hell, it naturally happens every 10 years/3 terms anyhow.

So yeah. No reason to be complacent. They'll win eventually and we'll go back to asking how such a thing could ever happen in this country.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario elected Ford. It's only a matter of time before we do something similar on the national level.

Cw1ZkPIWgAQ33aP.jpg