• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario elected Ford. It's only a matter of time before we do something similar on the national level.

Cw1ZkPIWgAQ33aP.jpg

Yeah that's the biggest danger.

People who just want a change, to "shake things up".

That's what led to Trump.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yeah that's the biggest danger.

People who just want a change, to "shake things up".

That's what led to Trump.

I think people striving for constructive change will always be a good thing. That said, there's nothing more dangerous than manipulated people, and people wanting change just for the sake of change without knowing enough.
I mean, look at what happened to the UK.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Now that is a subtweet!

When it comes to climate hypocrisy, Canada's leaders have reached a new low
A territory that has 0.5% of the Earth's population plans to use up nearly a third of the planet's remaining carbon budget

Americans elected Donald Trump, who insisted climate change was a hoax – so it's no surprise that since taking office he's been all-in for the fossil fuel industry. There's no sense despairing; the energy is better spent fighting to remove him from office.

Canada, on the other hand, elected a government that believes the climate crisis is real and dangerous – and with good reason, since the nation's Arctic territories give it a front-row seat to the fastest warming on Earth. Yet the country's leaders seem likely in the next few weeks to approve a vast new tar sands mine which will pour carbon into the atmosphere through the 2060s. They know – yet they can't bring themselves to act on the knowledge. Now that is cause for despair.

The Teck mine would be the biggest tar sands mine yet: 113 square miles of petroleum mining, located just 16 miles from the border of Wood Buffalo national park. A federal panel approved the mine despite conceding that it would likely be harmful to the environment and to the land culture of Indigenous people. These giant tar sands mines (easily visible on Google Earth) are already among the biggest scars humans have ever carved on the planet's surface. But Canadian authorities ruled that the mine was nonetheless in the "public interest".

Here's how Justin Trudeau, recently re-elected as Canada's prime minister, put it in a speech to cheering Texas oilmen a couple of years ago: "No country would find 173 billion barrels of oil in the ground and leave them there." That is to say, Canada, which is 0.5% of the planet's population, plans to use up nearly a third of the planet's remaining carbon budget. Ottawa hides all this behind a series of pledges about "net-zero emissions by 2050" and so on, but they are empty promises. In the here-and-now they can't rein themselves in. There's oil in the ground and it must come out.

This is painfully hard to watch because it comes as the planet has supposedly reached a turning point. A series of remarkable young people (including Canadians such as Autumn Peltier) have captured the imagination of people around the world; scientists have issued ever sterner warnings; and the images of climate destruction show up in every newspaper. Canadians can see the Australian blazes on television; they should bring back memories of the devastating forest fires that forced the evacuation of Fort McMurray, in the heart of the tar sands complex, less than four years ago.

The only rational response would be to immediately stop the expansion of new fossil fuel projects. It's true that we can't get off oil and gas immediately; for the moment, oil wells continue to pump. But the Teck Frontier proposal is predicated on the idea that we'll still need vast quantities of oil in 2066, when Greta Thunberg is about to hit retirement age. If an alcoholic assured you he was taking his condition very seriously, but also laying in a 40-year store of bourbon, you'd be entitled to doubt his sincerity, or at least to note his confusion. Oil has addled the Canadian ability to do basic math: more does not equal less, and 2066 is not any time soon. An emergency means you act now.

In fairness, Canada has company here. For every territory making a sincere effort to kick fossil fuels (California, Scotland) there are other capitals just as paralyzed as Ottawa. Australia's fires creep ever closer to the seat of government in Canberra, yet the prime minister, Scott Morrison, can't seem to imagine any future for his nation other than mining more coal. Australia and Canada are both rich nations, their people highly educated, but they seem unable to control the zombie momentum of fossil fuels.

There's obviously something hideous about watching the Trumps and the Putins of the world gleefully shred our future. But it's disturbing in a different way to watch leaders pretend to care – a kind of gaslighting that can reduce you to numb nihilism. Trudeau, for all his charms, doesn't get to have it both ways: if you can't bring yourself to stop a brand-new tar sands mine then you're not a climate leader.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I think people striving for constructive change will always be a good thing. That said, there's nothing more dangerous than manipulated people, and people wanting change just for the sake of change without knowing enough.
I mean, look at what happened to the UK

Low information voters is a problem.

Democracy only works with an informed electorate.

You have rampant bullshit being spread on PostMedia not to mention social media and fringe sites like Rebel which is a huge problem.

The CRTC recommendation to regulate media is an attempt to address that but it's a slippery slope as those powers could easily be abused if the CPC wins.

So I'm at a loss here.

Now that is a subtweet!

Even if it's approved that mine will never be built. Even the Teck CEO doesn't know if it will happen.

It's simply not profitable if oil is below $75/barrel.

The way to destroy these projects is with economics and capitalism will do the rest.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ontario elected Ford.
Guess Lecce was too busy hazing classmates at St Mike's to pay attention to math class. Maybe he should've gotten a proper education at a public school.

One mother, who asked to remain anonymous, said she only expected $65 dollars because her two children have only had one strike day so far at their Toronto elementary school.
However when she checked her bank statement, she had received $320, $160 for each child.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on lowering consumption of fossil fuels not production.

As consumption falls, the business case for new fossil fuel projects becomes worse and worse.

Especially for expensive extraction like the oil sands.

AB should look into lithium mining, that's a more future proof resource.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

As consumption falls, the business case for new fossil fuel projects becomes worse and worse.

Our tailings ponds have lots of lithium but shhhhh.

(There's a couple of startups that are looking into this, I believe)

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Whose land do you think they are going to trespass on/what people do you think are going to be exploited for those mines? I'll give you three guesses as to why that's a bad field to transition Alberta's economy to, given the combination of what's happened/happening in various South American countries and recent court rulings in Canada pertaining to "consultation", to say nothing of prior incidents.

P.S. extraction of lithium is also a resource-intense process a la oil sand extraction.
According to previously undisclosed contracts reviewed by The Washington Post, one lithium company, a joint Canadian-Chilean venture named Minera Exar, struck deals with six aboriginal communities for a new mine here. The operation is expected to generate about $250 million a year in sales while each community will receive an annual payment — ranging from $9,000 to about $60,000 — for extensive surface and water rights.
Possibly worse than being excluded from the mineral bonanza, some indigenous people say, is the possibility that the lithium companies could exacerbate existing water shortages. Already, the area has suffered a drought of several years.
In Susques and other indigenous areas, the fight has strained relations in a place dominated by a communal way of life that extends even to land rights. Families have been fractured, too. Half of the Guzmans favor the mines; the others are members of Colectivo Apacheta.

"There has been division in the community," Carlos Guzman said. "Doubts, distrust, loss of respect."
Ontario elected Ford. It's only a matter of time before we do something similar on the national level.

Cw1ZkPIWgAQ33aP.jpg
Don't pin this all on us, blame the awful FPTP system for bringing us the cover model for 2018's "Failing Upwards" Smarmsuit Edition....and the 39% of people that voted for a mid-level drug dealer with the temperament of a drunk badger and an equally unpleasant platform.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Whose land do you think they are going to trespass on/what people do you think are going to be exploited for those mines? I'll give you three guesses as to why that's a bad field to transition Alberta's economy to, given the combination of what's happened/happening in various South American countries and recent court rulings in Canada pertaining to "consultation", to say nothing of prior incidents.

P.S. extraction of lithium is also a resource-intense process a la oil sand extraction.

Don't pin this all on us, blame the awful FPTP system for bringing us the cover model for 2018's "Failing Upwards" Smarmsuit Edition.

As I just posted, they theoretically don't need to open any mines -- reprocessing the tailings ponds should yield a lot of lithium along with a lot of other useful minerals and byproducts.

Yes, it will be energy intensive, but they stand to reclaim lots of parkland (and possibly good PR).

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

In case you needed any more reason to be concerned about that skinhead scumbag (but I repeat myself) that they recently found in the U.S.: This is becoming a much, much larger problem in Canada's military.
As I just posted, they theoretically don't need to open any mines -- reprocessing the tailings ponds should yield a lot of lithium along with a lot of other useful minerals and byproducts.

Yes, it will be energy intensive, but they stand to reclaim lots of parkland (and possibly good PR).
We both know that this is not how things will simply go in practice. Again: Where do you think several of said ponds holding these valuable resources reside and what do you think said companies will do to access them in practice? Moreover, what do you think is going to happen to these indigenous communities and nations if something goes wrong like spilling of toxic materials into a source of drinking water? With all sincerity, I have no reason to believe that this will turn out any differently than it did a few years ago.
Jacinda Mack will never forget the day the tailings pond collapsed at the Mount Polley mine in her nation's traditional territory, spilling an estimated 25 million cubic metres of contaminated waste into Quesnel Lake.

Once a source of drinking water and home to nearly a quarter of the province's sockeye salmon, Quesnel Lake is still laden with the toxic tailings that spilled into its depths that August day in 2014. An underwater deposit of tailings, estimated to be about 600 metres long and a kilometre wide, rests on the lake's floor where local residents worry it may be disturbed by upwelling.

For Mack, the accident marked an irrevocable change to the world she knew and transformed how she saw not only the Mount Polley mine but British Columbia, which she recognized for the first time as under siege by one of the world's most powerful industrial forces.

At the time of the spill, the B.C. government was on a renewed mission to fast-track permits for new mines — some of which require tailings facilities many times the size of Mount Polley's to be maintained in perpetuity.

There are lessons to be learned from the Mount Polley disaster that so far have fallen on deaf ears, Mack fears. Those who stand to learn the most from her experience are the small and mostly Indigenous communities currently being courted by mining companies across the province.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We both know that this is not how things will simply go in practice. Again: Where do you think several of said ponds holding these valuable resources reside and what do you think said companies will do to access them in practice? Moreover, what do you think is going to happen to these indigenous communities and nations if something goes wrong like spilling of toxic materials into a source of drinking water? With all sincerity, I have no reason to believe that this will turn out any differently than it did a few years ago.

I just meant economically lithium is a better bet than oil.

I don't know enough about the consultation process with indigenous communities. That's another can of worms.

But someone is going to have to clean up those tailings ponds at some point.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Can I get cryogenized until Bill 21 is no longer a thing?
E-ve-ry sin-gle day it's all that is being talked about in Quebec. The same fucking op-eds in JDM and Le Devoir.The same replies in La Presse and The Gazette. The same fiery debates on TV and on radio. The same conspiracy theories about bought judges.
That little shit disturber Frederic Bastien constantly putting oil on the fire in the hope of being noticed and becoming PQ leader, and instead of telling him to take a hike, they constantly apologize.
It's no longer about religious signs, if it ever was. It's all about political opportunism. They want it to get overturned. They want the constitutional crisis. Getting the populace foaming at the mouth over this is a better result than actually preventing teachers from wearing a hijab.
All of this over something inconsequential for 99% of the population...

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i know right fuck la CAQ/PQ it's fucking depressing that there's no hope for them to get voted out and even if they did there's no good left alternative

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Please Canada, hold on until this rise of the right blows over for the rest of the world so when the Conservatives get inevitably elected in they can be shamed by the rest of the world enough to go back into hibernation after a term or two..

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
E-ve-ry sin-gle day it's all that is being talked about in Quebec. The same fucking op-eds in JDM and Le Devoir.The same replies in La Presse and The Gazette. The same fiery debates on TV and on radio. The same conspiracy theories about bought judges.
That little shit disturber Frederic Bastien constantly putting oil on the fire in the hope of being noticed and becoming PQ leader, and instead of telling him to take a hike, they constantly apologize.
It's no longer about religious signs, if it ever was. It's all about political opportunism. They want it to get overturned. They want the constitutional crisis. Getting the populace foaming at the mouth over this is a better result than actually preventing teachers from wearing a hijab.

It was always political opportunism. They don't care one single bit about secularism. Legault's pretty happy they keep talking about it all the time since even the most recent polls show he's extremely popular and this is in part because of it. He will also constantly get to put the federal government on the hot seat over this (just like today) which helps him score points. It's also bonus points to slam another nail in the PLQ coffin. They've been wiped out of the electoral map everywhere to the east of Montréal and this was also in part because of their stance over this. And even if the law is judged unconstitutional by the superior or supreme court then it will still be a victory for Legault because he'll be able to say he fought to the end the government over this and his base will be so happy.

If he truly wanted secularism it would have been really easy to do the following : 1- get rid of tax exemptions for religious organizations. 2- No more funding of any kind for religious organizations or schools 3- No unreasonable religious accommodations of any kind in the workplace or school 4- Completely get out religion from schools 5-Put up a committee to teach about religious extremism. And it would be done.

The judge stuff wasn't much conspiracy though since eventually recordings came out proving their point. In a trial you don't make "jokes" about going to work for the defense or helping their case when you retire when you are a judge about to retire. It's like very basic stuff. I think people are slowly starting to realize that judges are human like them with their own bias and prejudices and they are not taking it well.

The sad thing is that we have much bigger problems to deal with right now than this.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
ya know i'm beginning to think that quebec is like alberta a political lost cause 😞

Having lived in both provinces, both of them need to take a look in the mirror and come to some realizations about the modern world, modern policies and properly taking care of the people that live in the province.

Different realizations for both of them, but realizations nonetheless.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
i know right fuck la CAQ/PQ it's fucking depressing that there's no hope for them to get voted out and even if they did there's no good left alternative

There's no hope for the CAQ to get voted out BECAUSE there's no good left alternative. That's the whole problem...

Why the fuck don't we have a real provincial NDP branch?

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017

I read La Presse everyday, only time I hear about Bill 21 is in this thread.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If the current NDP are too centrist then the Liberals and Conservatives are basically right-wing neoliberal facists. lol

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The judge stuff wasn't much conspiracy though since eventually recordings came out proving their point. In a trial you don't make "jokes" about going to work for the defense or helping their case when you retire when you are a judge about to retire. It's like very basic stuff. I think people are slowly starting to realize that judges are human like them with their own bias and prejudices and they are not taking it well.

Duval-Hessler indeed did appear to cross the line in some of her comments, though it's hard to tell without the whole context. but if she really did, the way to proceed was to file a motion for recusation and as far as I know, the attorney general, the actual defendant, hasn't. The outrage has come from people not even involved in the lawsuit.

As for the complaints against the Supreme Court judges, they're completely ridiculous. Being members of law societies, doing conferences and have personal beliefs are not ethical misconducts. Again, if they truly believe the judges are biased, they can ask them to recuse themselves, but threatening to file complaints to the Canadian Judicial Council shows that Bastien and his pals have no idea how the justice system works, or they're just acting in bad faith (probably both). And the media seem just as clueless.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's the US, what are the chances Bernie can pass any of his bills past the House and Senate? Without majorly watering them down like Obamacare?

Some of his own party will even vote against them.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's the US, what are the chances Bernie can pass any of his bills past the House and Senate? Without majorly watering them down like Obamacare?

Some of his own party will even vote against them.
Yes, a lot will be blocked. But there are some that he can just do outright. Like say Student Loans. The President already has a couple different abilities that allow them to authorize forgiveness on Student Loans. They do it once a year already in order to clean up bad debt, debt for public workers or ect. But there is nothing that says it has to be used in that way.

Thats also not to say that optics themselves aren't a powerful motivator. If you got the president of the USA out there advocating for all of these progressive causes on a daily basis, progressives up here will get jealous.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The RCMP continues to remind us how thoroughly entrenched colonialism and white supremacy are in Canada, to the point where they are the reason why they were formed to begin with.

It needs to be abolished. Full stop.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
What would you replace it with?

Serious question.

I am sure we can figure out a modern institution that has the role of Federal police without the racist baggage or being the strong arm of oil companies and colonialism.

This painting by Kent Monkman shocked me by it's violence, but it's an indelible part of our history. The idea that this institution still exists today and is still doing the similar shit is nauseating. If you are unfamiliar with his work, I recommend everyone look him up, some really incredible, subversive stuff.

The-Scream-small-1024x681.jpg

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure we can figure out a modern institution that has the role of Federal police without the racist baggage or being the strong arm of oil companies and colonialism.

This painting by Ken Monkman shocked me by it's violence, but it's an indelible part of our history. The idea that this institution still exists today and is still doing the similar shit is nauseating. If you are unfamiliar with his work, I recommend everyone look him up, some really incredible, subversive stuff.

The-Scream-small-1024x681.jpg
Monkman's paintings are always so striking in their rhetorical simplicity.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That sounds just like a reform though.

Ground up reform is probably the furthest we could ever go with this, doubt much of Canada would turn into police abolitionists over night!

Hell, even reform would probably be an impossible issue for politicians to take, considering it immediatly turns into a repudiation of a core part of canadian identity.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I think speaking of abolition is a bit much... Be careful for what you wish for; there's nothing saying it wouldn't be replaced by something that would end up being far worse. It could evolve, be modified, though. But such reforms would need to come from the political side.

Let me repost this comic from yesterday:

Cw1ZkPIWgAQ33aP.jpg

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And even make them less electable then they are now.

Speaking for myself, I align more closely with the NDP but I voted Liberal is both federal elections I could vote in because the NDP neither exited me nor were the practical choice in my riding. It was literally vote Liberal, or Liberal-lite. If NDP actually had a platform to excite me the way Bernie does, I'd consider supporting them federally. This is especially a harsh criticism of the party because I'm from the generation of teens that grew up thinking Jack Layton was the best thing ever, so it was crazy of me to NOT vote NDP when I finally had the chance to.

Also, Bernie's power comes not from his policies, but his movement. Like his ground game and volunteer network is insane, the NDP has nothing like that because they don't inspire people the same way. They sure as hell would be a lot more electable of they could inspire that kind of devotion via truly radical and transformative policies.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What would you replace it with?

Serious question.
If you want my honest answer instead of "here's how i'd reform Canada's justice system (greater focus on rehabilitation for street crimes instead of punitive sentencing, repealing Harper's minimums and allowing judges to employ more flexible sentencing, massively increasing sentencing for white collar crimes, among other changes)"...I wouldn't, certainly not if we're talking about forming a new institution with the same goals as the RCMP, because said goals are a combination of terrorism and reinforcement of the status quo for the most marginalized people in Canada/people who do not consider themselves to be Canadian or a part of Canada but a sovereign nation altogether who are nevertheless subjected to violence and thrown into a justice system that further disenfranchises and disempowers them.

An institution whose actions have lead to, at least in one province, 75% of inmates being indigenous(!) is not one with goals worth replicating nor are they deserving of reform.

Last week, federal correctional investigator Ivan Zinger reported that Indigenous inmates now account for more than 30 per cent of federal prisoners — and 65 per cent of inmates in federal institutions in Saskatchewan.

A provincial ministry spokesperson said the demographics have been consistent in Saskatchewan's adult jails for about the last five years.

The ministry also provided a one-day snapshot of the provincial jail inmate population on Jan. 28. 2020, which showed that Indigenous people comprised about 76 per cent of both sentenced and remanded inmates.
screen-shot-2020-01-30-at-11.33.02-am.png