• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
No, I think we should negociate. But saying the current blockades do not affect anyone is really wrong.

I didn't say anyone, I said everyone, which is a significant difference. I agree the impacts of the blockades grow with time, and that we should increase the efforts to negotiate.

That said, no matter what we do in this situation, iit'll affect people. Why are some people being affected more important than others? This is the actual bullshit here.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting out of hand...

Good summary of House debate.

Thread in the link.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like reconciliation isn't easy and that saying "we're sorry" is literally just lip service.

I do like Scheer saying that it's appropriation though. lol

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Scheer is fueling the hate of the conservative base.

I don't think there are scenarios in which removing the blockades by force will end up well. At the same time it cannot go on forever.

I don't think there are scenarios in which removing the blockades by force will end up well. At the same time it cannot go on forever.
My guess for an immediate resolution is: there'll be some sort of temporary halt announced on the GasLink project, this will allow the blockades to go down, then the involved parties will vanish into the backrooms to try to hash out a long-term resolution while the general public forgets about all this.

May 30, 2018
I can't believe I'm ever saying this, but I agree with YFB. It's not up to the RoC to judge them and come in between them.

I'm seeing alot of folks online mad about the hereditary chiefs holding this thing up, but if it's their tribal customs then we should respect it.

The VIA rail shutdown negatively affected me too, so I would like to see it resolved obviously, but not if it's by RCMP trampling them like Scheer wants

May 30, 2018
It's their land.

If it was some white guy in a log cabin in the way of their precious pipeline, they'd have picked an alternate route like the chiefs proposed.

I'm not even environmentalist, but I'm actually sick of pipelines. These things have legit become our biggest fault lines nationally now. Every time one comes up, it becomes a huge headache. Off the top of my head, Trans Mountain, Keystone XL, Energy East, Coastal GasLink. I couldn't tell you where they start or terminate at, but they generate so much news that I am forced to be aware of them.

I don't even know what a realistic roadmap is to get off O&G, but just... Enough

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Should have told him to calm down and have a glass milk as well.

Or chocolate milk since this is a serious situation.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Official statement from the scrum.

This totally emasculates Scheer and shuts out the second largest party representation from finding a resolution. Not a good look on the CPC.

edit: included Scheer's statement.

May 30, 2018
He's so sleazy

He adds nothing but garbage to the dialogue than plays the victim acting like he's being shut out

When will people understand they are not entitled to others having to listen to them

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To think, there was a pretty good chance this guy Scheer could very well have been our premier...

Thank God, the last thing we need to do is escalate this any further by using force.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Official statement from the scrum.

This totally emasculates Scheer and shuts out the second largest party representation from finding a resolution. Not a good look on the CPC.

edit: included Scheer's statement.

ISIfery.gif

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Does he think this is some galaxy-brain political maneuver? Poisoning the whole discussion and then trying to spin shutting out the poisoner as hypocritical?
Well-played Scheer, you absolute doofus.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
My eyes are now solely on Trudeau for this matter, and how he handles this is a large test. So far, I'm not impressed.

It's impossible for me to be unbiased on the matter as I have a close family friend whose livelihood is at risk, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I just hope it's resolved soon.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Man so many fucking old white cons coming out on Twitter taking about how Trudeau not inviting Scheer is anti Democratic or how he is the real racists. These people really can't hold a mirror up to themselves at all

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
globalnews.ca

61% of Canadians oppose Wet’suwet’en solidarity blockades, 75% back action to help Indigenous people: poll | Globalnews.ca

New poll results find that nearly two-thirds of Canadians disagree with the ongoing Wet'suwet'en solidarity blockades that are interrupting rail and truck traffic across the country.

Canada: "We want to help Indigenous people, just make sure it doesn't inconvenience us"
the biggest damage is that the capital of sympathy towards Indigenous Issues will be lost if these illegal protests continue.

61% is a huge number

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
They should have done this when Trudeau had a majority.

Not much flexibility in a Minority government; he'll likely side against the Natives in this dispute.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
globalnews.ca

61% of Canadians oppose Wet’suwet’en solidarity blockades, 75% back action to help Indigenous people: poll | Globalnews.ca

New poll results find that nearly two-thirds of Canadians disagree with the ongoing Wet'suwet'en solidarity blockades that are interrupting rail and truck traffic across the country.

Canada: "We want to help Indigenous people, just make sure it doesn't inconvenience us"

Also Canada: "We aren't settlers"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
globalnews.ca

No one should be surprised by this.

This only tilts things toward the conservatives:(

People expect the government to prioritize jobs, the economy and "old stock Canadians".

Indigenous people are somewhere near the bottom.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
No one should be surprised by this.

This only tilts things toward the conservatives:(

People expect the government to prioritize jobs, the economy and "old stock Canadians".

Indigenous people are somewhere near the bottom.

It's more complicated than that I think. Some racist folks only care about the economy and would run into these protests with loaded trains. Other people feel we should respect the law and not punish the average worker when protesting. It's not black and white.

Add to the fact that a lot of members in those communities are for the project, so there is confusion on the message.

My guess is most people are against the protests but still want a negociated deal.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
"Sympathy capital" is an age-old carrot and stick tool of a settler nation that isn't offered in good faith. Calls for civility and dialogue are as toothless as before.